Dying Light 2

Smelled like the usual "denuvo kills your SSD!" FUD and misinformation bullshit as soon as I opened and skimmed that reddit thread. And it's got 1.1k upvotes no less, which tells you misinformation isn't just something people want drip-fed to them daily, but demand.

Remember kids, the key to writing anti-denuvo FUD - and where that Typical-Juggernaut kid messed up - is make sure its something not easy to disprove.
I'm generally anti-DRM, but it's stuff like this that ultimately derails discussions about the subject. This is a genuine issue for GeForce NOW subscribers and should be handled in that lane. The pcgaming subreddit is a circlejerk about Denuvo, though. Every time there is a new release with Denuvo it will get posted and then upvoted to the moon with those ridiculous badges.

I'm generally anti-DRM, but it's stuff like this that ultimately derails discussions about the subject. This is a genuine issue for GeForce NOW subscribers and should be handled in that lane. The pcgaming subreddit is a circlejerk about Denuvo, though. Every time there is a new release with Denuvo it will get posted and then upvoted to the moon with those ridiculous badges.
That's because the guy with the Q6600 can't run the game and needs something to blame.

Has anyone tested 4K with a 6900xt yet?

I know RT will be a slideshow, but I am curious what Max settings (no RT) will look like at 4k.

11.5 hrs today. game is a hoot, had one crash so far. minor gripes with glitches, which havent been game breaking, but still....
just got to the city centre and got a hang glider, which is honestly very unintuitive to use. maybe im just tired.... see ya tomorrow

Has anyone tested 4K with a 6900xt yet?

I know RT will be a slideshow, but I am curious what Max settings (no RT) will look like at 4k.
I am running 3440x1440 with everything set to max (no RT, DX12 enabled) and average about 92 fps it looks like.

If I enable RT it drops to 30 ish, with FSR quality enable with RT I get 60 ish.

Auto HDR is working now. Not sure what changed, but it works.
Not working for me, at least under the D3D12 Ultimate renderer.

Looks like restarting windows magically enabled it. Makes you wonder how microsoft is pushing this stuff without a user even knowing.

Last edited:
I have two questions about the game to those already playing it:
  1. Is the story a continuation of the first game or is it it's own thing where you don't need to know what happened in the first one?
  2. Is weapon degradation still an issue?

I have two questions about the game to those already playing it:
  1. Is the story a continuation of the first game or is it it's own thing where you don't need to know what happened in the first one?
  2. Is weapon degradation still an issue?
It stands on it's own.

That's just part of the dead island / dying light series. If you don't like weapon degradation this won't be a game for you.

It stands on it's own.

That's just part of the dead island / dying light series. If you don't like weapon degradation this won't be a game for you.
I don't have a problem with weapon wear as long as it is implemented well and doesn't get on your nerves.
But in dying light the weapons become ineffective so fast that looking for and maintaining weapons becomes an overbearing part of the gameplay.
Which necessitated even more backtracking on top of the already excessive backtracking due to the mission structure itself. Which is why I ultimately quit playing the game.
If that didn't change then it is definitely not a game for me.

I don't have a problem with weapon wear as long as it is implemented well and doesn't get on your nerves.
But in dying light the weapons become ineffective so fast that looking for and maintaining weapons becomes an overbearing part of the gameplay.
Which necessitated even more backtracking on top of the already excessive backtracking due to the mission structure itself. Which is why I ultimately quit playing the game.
The way it works in this one is they eventually just break, but there is no DPS loss or anything.

Durability gets progressively better as you level up and get higher leveled gear, just like the first game.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
so it seems the 500 hour hype was mainly because the game only has 1 save slot...so to get all the endings, conversations etc you need to replay the entire game...seems like a solid 40 hour game for 1 playthrough

How different are the conversations? Is it just minimal changes here and there?

And how is the gameplay? Essentially the same as the first, or is there less focus on collecting things and more on shooting and story?

Durability gets progressively better as you level up and get higher leveled gear, just like the first game.
In the first game weapons get ineffective, so it's not just that they break, but with a bad condition weapon you can literally bang them on the head for 10 minutes and nothing happens. If it's exactly the same then I'm outta here.

In the first game weapons get ineffective, so it's not just that they break, but with a bad condition weapon you can literally bang them on the head for 10 minutes and nothing happens. If it's exactly the same then I'm outta here.
It’s not.

More or less the consensus I'm gathering on this is some pretty good feedback despite a myriad of early days/weeks bugs. I like what I've seen in videos. I'm on the fence.

Really the only turn off would be the parkour. Either you’re good with it or you hate it. The rest of the game is solid.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Really the only turn off would be the parkour. Either you’re good with it or you hate it. The rest of the game is solid.

I remember liking it in the first one or at least not disliking it. Is it basically the same or more refined?

There was also leveling up as well. I recall some weapons didn't degrade (or I repaired them) because they were special weapons. DLC weapons, crafted, etc. But when they fall below level they're useless. Like, 3+ head shots to the most basic zombies to kill them useless. Add in all the factors and it became tedious to make sure your weapon was good, had crafting stuff, was repaired, was up to level. You'd have to re-craft the same item to get it up to level. It got old.

Some of the parkour was good. If this game puts a bigger focus on the running, shooting and story I'd be interested. But the first game had some massive issues. In the final DLC I got stuck due to a game breaking bug with spawns and mission checkpoint progress.

Reactions: M76
like this
After watching reviews and complaints. I decided to give this game a try. I really am enjoying the game.

Only issue at least to me. Is why the hell do you have keybindings hardcoded into the game? I mean it’s 2022, should not have that kind of issues with a game on pc.

Luckily the devs have already responded and plan to release a fix for that.

After watching reviews and complaints. I decided to give this game a try. I really am enjoying the game.

Only issue at least to me. Is why the hell do you have keybindings hardcoded into the game? I mean it’s 2022, should not have that kind of issues with a game on pc.

Luckily the devs have already responded and plan to release a fix for that.
it really baffles the mind how basic things like that are missing from games. And I see that more and more often. I don't know if this is being out of touch, or just giving zero fucks.

it really baffles the mind how basic things like that are missing from games. And I see that more and more often. I don't know if this is being out of touch, or just giving zero fucks.

I’d imagine it just comes down to humans being humans. Stuff like that is more than likely just something that no one thinks of before the community brings it up or, if it is brought up it could be forgotten or not written down, so it never gets implemented before release.

I’d imagine it just comes down to humans being humans. Stuff like that is more than likely just something that no one thinks of before the community brings it up or, if it is brought up it could be forgotten or not written down, so it never gets implemented before release.
But how do you forget something like this? Not a single playtester noticed that all the keys are hardcoded?
I mean you'd expect that there is at least one person on the dev team who is an actual PC gamer, right?
If they need the community to point something like this out, I'd raise the question: Where is your head at?

a future patch will add backup saves and additional video settings

PC gamers (Steam and EGS): here is the list of things in our pipeline:

DL2.jpg

To clarify, you can re-bind everything to a normal button on the keyboard.

The issue right now is that extra keys on a mouse aren't working for keybind.

I wouldn't call this a show-stopper. As to why it's an oversight, who knows. They aren't a massive studio, and again, the game runs smooth and is fairly polished given the scale of it.

Reactions: M76
like this
How different are the conversations? Is it just minimal changes here and there?

And how is the gameplay? Essentially the same as the first, or is there less focus on collecting things and more on shooting and story?
They added the infamous dialogue wheel to this game, but it's not as bad as it sounds. I have tried clicking on various things, but nothing matters but clicking on the gold-colored choice. The only thing that matters is that most quests will end in a choice that you have to make, but at the point I'm at in the game I don't know if it matters in the grand scheme of things. I guess it's to make you feel more involved in the conversations compared to the first game, but so far I don't feel it adds anything to this one.

Collecting items is still important, but they have collected that part of the game into encounters on the map. For example, they have stores that are full of biters during the day, so they recommend going into them at night to collect items. You're basically in and out in 2-5 minutes, depending on the type of building you're looting. And when you look on the map, you'll see that specific types of building contain specific types of loot. Stores have crafting items, dark hollows have valuables to sell, etc. It's better than the first game since you don't have to constantly find things to loot as you go. If you're low on certain types of supplies, just find a building on the map that has the loot you need and rest to night time to ransack the place.
More or less the consensus I'm gathering on this is some pretty good feedback despite a myriad of early days/weeks bugs. I like what I've seen in videos. I'm on the fence.
It's a lot of fun. It took me a while to get used to the new gameplay loop and systems, but I ended up playing it for more than 20 hours over the weekend.
It feels wonky at first, but once you figure it out it's a huge improvement over the last game.
I feel the same way. It took me a bit to get used to the different gravity, but it feels a lot better. Only thing that is missing is the feeling of impact that you got in the first game. Like it really looked and sounded like you got the breath kicked out of you when grabbing a faraway ledge. In this game it's like nothing happened.
There was also leveling up as well. I recall some weapons didn't degrade (or I repaired them) because they were special weapons. DLC weapons, crafted, etc. But when they fall below level they're useless. Like, 3+ head shots to the most basic zombies to kill them useless. Add in all the factors and it became tedious to make sure your weapon was good, had crafting stuff, was repaired, was up to level. You'd have to re-craft the same item to get it up to level. It got old.

Some of the parkour was good. If this game puts a bigger focus on the running, shooting and story I'd be interested. But the first game had some massive issues. In the final DLC I got stuck due to a game breaking bug with spawns and mission checkpoint progress.
At survivor level 2 I've discovered a few weapons already that have a lot of durability. I'd say at this point I'm going through one weapon about once every 2 real hours or so. The degradation isn't all that annoying anymore either with the crafting system. Instead of needing to find attachments for your weapons you can now just craft them. It makes you feel less of a need to hang onto those blue and purple weapons this time around, especially with vendors selling them like candy.
a future patch will add backup saves and additional video settings

PC gamers (Steam and EGS): here is the list of things in our pipeline:

View attachment 441667
It's good that they're making backup saves, but I've been doing it myself so far. The saves are in your Steam user data folder. The game hasn't complained once about me overwriting what is in there for something older.

To clarify, you can re-bind everything to a normal button on the keyboard.

The issue right now is that extra keys on a mouse aren't working for keybind.

I wouldn't call this a show-stopper. As to why it's an oversight, who knows. They aren't a massive studio, and again, the game runs smooth and is fairly polished given the scale of it.
That is not technically true. You cannot rebind binoculars at all. I also think there are 2-3 other keyboard keys not in the keybinds menu to change.

This is really fun. It's a lot more of the same, but I also really wanted a lot more of the same. I shut myself off from the family this weekend and just dove in. Really fun. It's weird to kinda "start over" in a DL game. My DL1 character is so absurdly OP it isn't even funny, and now I have to do that "oh yeah, I can die" thing.

Re: Weapon degradation - I have far less an issue with this implementation and game than the first. I hated it in the first, bigly. This time - it's not nearly as annoying. It just means you can't cling to one item literally forever. Which so far, hasn't been an issue anyways, because I find better stuff anyway.

Haven't played it in co-op with any of the kids yet, which was super fun in DL1. I need to get one of the big kids to pick this up and play.

Back