Dumpster Diving!

Yeah, the local solid waste management had a two day shindig set up on the edge of town, for this and the next county over, to allow people to recycle all electronic appliances at no cost.

Personally, the cause is quite important to me. The spoils are going mostly to a local church youth group to set them up a small computer lab. Man - recycling is good for EVERYBODY!

Went out and saw a BEAUTIFUL old rackmount server, so I told my dad to stop, I threw it in the back of our van and I took it home and plugged it in, and.... it worked! It's a Xeon 800mhz, 1.5GB RAM, just needed a IDE HD, which I provided easily! I'll post pics soon

The place where my father works is moving and they are throwing a ton of stuff out.

I got this nice bookshelf, looks brand new, a cork board for my wall to put up things with thumbtacks, and my dad got 2 of these huge metal racks with shelves. good to use in the basement for storage.

I'm expecting a ton more stuff in the coming months while the move gets underway

Here at work, we are doing a big cleanup of old computers and parts inventory to make place for our incoming shipment of 100 new laptops. My boss told me to get rid of the stock and handed me the list... In that list, I noticed they decided to toss out the brand new Dell M783s monitors still in box but he didn't know how much so i guess i can score some nice findings.

I did scavenge everything for parts to be tossed out in the dumpster and that's what I got :

-1 Dell M783s 17 inch monitor in box.
-1 empty USB external hdd enclosure (i tossed out the disk since it was dead).
-1 laptop inkjet printer (Canon BJC-85).

I could have gotten more but the rest is too old or too big for me to carry... It's not exactly DD but close since those are going to be dumped in the compactor or being sent to a recycling facility depending on what parts.

Anyone in the Roanoke Valley (Va) wanna do some DD, i've got a big truck bed! Only thing is we can't hit up CC (1 i work there, 2 compactor and 3 we send all def items to warehouse)

You people actually go inside dumpsters behind Best Buys & Circuit Citys and stuff?

Can't they call the police or anything like that?

BobTheBuilderr0x said:
You people actually go inside dumpsters behind Best Buys & Circuit Citys and stuff?
Big chain stores like BB and CC tend to not throw out anything worthwhile.

Can't they call the police or anything like that?
Possibly. Chances of anything happening are quite slim, though. Firstly, the store probably doesn't own the dumpster; thusly, anything placed in the dumpster is technically property of the garbage collection company who owns the dumpster. Secondly, a person taking trash from a dumpster is not an emergency, so you're looking at probably at least an hour wait for a police officer to arrive to investigate. More than enough time for you to get away. Thirdly, who cares? If the business put an item in the dumpster, it should be obvious that they didn't want it, so the law won't really be able to help them. It's certainly possible for someone to call the police, but I doubt anyone would report someone for stealing trash. :p

jpmkm said:
Big chain stores like BB and CC tend to not throw out anything worthwhile.

Possibly. Chances of anything happening are quite slim, though. Firstly, the store probably doesn't own the dumpster; thusly, anything placed in the dumpster is technically property of the garbage collection company who owns the dumpster. Secondly, a person taking trash from a dumpster is not an emergency, so you're looking at probably at least an hour wait for a police officer to arrive to investigate. More than enough time for you to get away. Thirdly, who cares? If the business put an item in the dumpster, it should be obvious that they didn't want it, so the law won't really be able to help them. It's certainly possible for someone to call the police, but I doubt anyone would report someone for stealing trash. :p

Well in that case if anyone is in or around the Mahopac, NY area

I am down for some dumpster diving I want free stuff! :)

for spots, recently moved here and scoping areas, its insane to let salvagable items go to waste.

if anyone knows good area or spot lemme know, otherwise ill just do usual browsing and cruising.

Does anyone live in the modesto/central valley area? I would really like to give this a try but do not want to go alone. Send a PM if interested.

Holy good god,after reading almost every page i gotta say, some of you guys have hit some gold mines. Hmmm i might have to get my friend and do some dd also. kind of old for this(37) but for some cool freebies what the helll:D .

03grandam said:
Holy good god,after reading almost every page i gotta say, some of you guys have hit some gold mines. Hmmm i might have to get my friend and do some dd also. kind of old for this(37) but for some cool freebies what the helll:D .

Old for DD, no way, I started going diving with my friend Mike, I was 23 at the time, he was like 45!

Sage Osaka said:
Does anyone live in the modesto/central valley area? I would really like to give this a try but do not want to go alone. Send a PM if interested.

Well, I think some of us ( including you) might have seen this coming...

But why in the hell would you want to meet some other guy and then climb into a dumpster with him with him of whom you just met ?

I'd rather go alone, rather than getting my butt secksed.
I hope you agree

Well went to staples eary this morning and missed it.The garbage truck got there about 1/2 hour before us,oh well wait till next week.I wonder how it is right after christmas with all the returns?

In between Funcoland/Eb two days ago and Office Dehot today, I made out like a bandit. At funco, I got the full install of ever quest and the expansion, 2 4 disc dvd cases that held star trek posters, 5 ace combat t-shirts, a psp volume controll thing, halo 2 strategy guide (there where like 15 sealed), a ps2 game case mint (there were countless, along with countless wii cases and some 360's), a Pinata Party flashing lights/voice thingy, a scar face poster (The one with the lines of script making it up), some playing cards, and some other goodies i dont recall.

And today at office max, one, there were really nice chairs being thrown out as "damaged" but weren't. These were the display 150+ dollar ones. There was also the stuff I took. A Magnifying work light, usefull for electronics and stuff (or model painting) (Don't know if it works yet, but.....). I also got a run of the milll optical usb scroll mouse (Marked defective and broken), a Targus auto/air mobile power inverter (90w, and pass thru dc port, also unknown if it works), a Quickcam Communicate STX, a Quickcam Fusion (Both pretty much without a single mark, and assumed working, just used as displays then discarded, cause thats how my Quickcam Pro 5000 came. Works great [Only need the new quickcam chat and I have the whole series, yet I already have an old quickcam chat from freecycle :D]) Finally, I have....... A Logitech MX1000 Laser, which had a semibroken left button. Simply untightening the screw under it and popping up the button fixed this. Other then that (And the missing decoration on the top bottom side, and the label on the bottom is wrinkly, but it is fully working and mac supported :p)

Pics later. sale for the cams and mouse after that :D

c.d.e said:
In between Funcoland/Eb two days ago and Office Dehot today, I made out like a bandit. At funco, I got the full install of ever quest and the expansion, 2 4 disc dvd cases that held star trek posters, 5 ace combat t-shirts, a psp volume controll thing, halo 2 strategy guide (there where like 15 sealed), a ps2 game case mint (there were countless, along with countless wii cases and some 360's), a Pinata Party flashing lights/voice thingy, a scar face poster (The one with the lines of script making it up), some playing cards, and some other goodies i dont recall.

And today at office max, one, there were really nice chairs being thrown out as "damaged" but weren't. These were the display 150+ dollar ones. There was also the stuff I took. A Magnifying work light, usefull for electronics and stuff (or model painting) (Don't know if it works yet, but.....). I also got a run of the milll optical usb scroll mouse (Marked defective and broken), a Targus auto/air mobile power inverter (90w, and pass thru dc port, also unknown if it works), a Quickcam Communicate STX, a Quickcam Fusion (Both pretty much without a single mark, and assumed working, just used as displays then discarded, cause thats how my Quickcam Pro 5000 came. Works great [Only need the new quickcam chat and I have the whole series, yet I already have an old quickcam chat from freecycle :D]) Finally, I have....... A Logitech MX1000 Laser, which had a semibroken left button. Simply untightening the screw under it and popping up the button fixed this. Other then that (And the missing decoration on the top bottom side, and the label on the bottom is wrinkly, but it is fully working and mac supported :p)

Pics later. sale for the cams and mouse after that :D

Dear God, man. Where do you live?

No pics yet, but an update.

Last time I went dding (You know, last post) someone came up to me at the office despot and asked what i was doing. I said they threw away nice chairs, I was seeing what else they threw away. Then he drove away. Today when I go check it out, the dumpster was moved over by..... 3/4 feet so that one side of the dumpster with the sliding door was touching the dumpster for the resturant next door. I don't think it's a coincidence. Nothing good there though. And last time, I hit up two satples but both were too full to check them out...

But not today. The first one I hit up had a nice cabinet, cherry red (Satples always has the nice cherry red furniture being thrown out.) but I didnt take it. Too big and no room in the car. What I do end up getting is a 50 pack of certificate paper (gold marble background with silver border design), a avery pack of clear/see thru mailing labels, 6 yellow highlighters, 2 nice 10 dollar pens and refills, a four pack of white out pens, an electronic dictionary/thesaurus (you know, that big name brand one), and my favorite catch of the day, a 8.5 x 11 sheet of magnifying glass. If I could find another one, I would be so much closer to building a diy projector. But, my absolutly best find there today was..... A motorola h700 bluetooth headset thingy. Works. Wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't blinking. According to moto, it has a msrp of 99 dollars. Go figure.

Next up was Eb. Got a bunch of stuff there last time, but its always hit or miss. I ended up finding a full dumpster with a bunch of leaves on the bottom half, and it got all humid/wet tonight, so everything was geting wet from the moisture. But I found 4 more of those 4 dvd see thru cases. I have 6 in total now, holding 24 discs. Great for dvd storage of movies for my media pc.

Finally I stopped by the other Satples and climbed in. First thing I find is a 50lb scale. Works. At this point, I just want to remind everyone that slick wood tables give you no traction, so watch were you step or put your weight on. I then end up finding one roll of clear packing tape with the dispenser/cutter thing, two bigger rolls without it, a bunch of pens and markers, a huge pack of transparencies outside of their box (Don't know if they are laser or inkjet :[ ) an hp trail software thing, 2 reams of blood red paper (not wrapped, so didnt take) a belkin triptune thing (second one I've found at satples, second one that didnt work) an ipod video voice recorder, a 12 pack of percision drawing pens, dual sided, one thin and one thick side, a usb hub with power brick, and about 6/10th of a 50 pack of cd-rs (those that stayed on the spindle even without the lid).

Pictures off all of this and last weeks stuff soon. Need to clean first.

i can't wait to get home for the holidays, when my dad bro and i go do this. there is a really big area of tech companies (ericsson, qualcomm, TI, everything) and they throw out stuff all the time. lots of furniture, not so much electronics in the past. but my dad always gets the wood and shelving from his garage here (or the dumpsters behind home depot)

i've never gone to behind an eb, but that sounds ridiculously awesome. there are a few gamecrazy and gamestops and stuff around, i will have to hit that up :D

i_am_mustang_man said:
i can't wait to get home for the holidays, when my dad bro and i go do this. there is a really big area of tech companies (ericsson, qualcomm, TI, everything) and they throw out stuff all the time. lots of furniture, not so much electronics in the past. but my dad always gets the wood and shelving from his garage here (or the dumpsters behind home depot)

i've never gone to behind an eb, but that sounds ridiculously awesome. there are a few gamecrazy and gamestops and stuff around, i will have to hit that up :D

Don't get your hopes up about the game shops. They are about as likely to throw out a system or games as you or I am. Mostly empty game cases, display/promotion items, and the pre-order gifts, unless the employees take them first.

I finally went real dumpster diving for the first time, behind my local mac store, and I hit the motherload. I found an old iMac G3 400mhz indigo (works great but when I post pics you'll see why it's free :D) an ADB apple mouse, several PRAM batteries for iMacs, Powermacs, etc, and an apple mighty mouse, all of it works great! That was what I found on top, didn't dig terribly deep.

TheLordsServant said:
I finally went real dumpster diving for the first time, behind my local mac store, and I hit the motherload. I found an old iMac G3 400mhz indigo (works great but when I post pics you'll see why it's free :D) an ADB apple mouse, several PRAM batteries for iMacs, Powermacs, etc, and an apple mighty mouse, all of it works great! That was what I found on top, didn't dig terribly deep.

Nice score dude. Im still tempted to check out staples, think I might hafto. No local apple stores around me :(.

I wished there was a local mac store or pc place that fixed macs. All I have is The apple store in the mall and A compusa/mac corner which uses a compactor.

c.d.e said:
I wished there was a local mac store or pc place that fixed macs. All I have is The apple store in the mall and A compusa/mac corner which uses a compactor.

you really don't want old macs. they're hard to revive and basically worthless when you do. believe you me, I have 2 imacs.

SpangeMonkee said:
you really don't want old macs. they're hard to revive and basically worthless when you do. believe you me, I have 2 imacs.

I have a pre g3 powermac that I used for 5 years. I know how to fix them and they are worth it (g3s atleast now)

They should make this a sport, send two teams out in the middle of the night and then come back in a couple of hours and whoever scored the most wins their pile + the other teams pile.:D

So tonight was our first dumpster diving, probaly totaled about 650 dollars + in stuff =]

Stuff including, Xbox 360 wheel and pedals, a new in box PSP, about 400+ PS2,xbox and ps1 games in sleeves, 5 PSU's, amazing book case, metal shelving.

So tonight was our first dumpster diving, probaly totaled about 650 dollars + in stuff =]

Stuff including, Xbox 360 wheel and pedals, a new in box PSP, about 400+ PS2,xbox and ps1 games in sleeves, 5 PSU's, amazing book case, metal shelving.

where'd you go?

Excellent finds but I DEMAND proof ;) let see some pics.

KM

Excellent finds but I DEMAND proof ;) let see some pics.

KM

Haha alright, once I go to my friends house again (Where all the stuff is, besides the wheel) I shall take pictures out the wazoo!

xboxfn5.jpg

Here is the xbox wheel/pedals though =]

:eek: well shut my mouth nice find brother, daaaamn. I need to find your dumpsters. :eek:

KM

Haha, the greatest find was a PSP, as you can see in shaggyD's thread (He's my friend).

Although 400+ games was nice too :p, along with OMGZ wireless controllers and such.
I'm obsessed with DD'ing down. :D

Back