Dumpster Diving!

Well I was going to the dump to throw away a dead Window AC Unit (Never Buy Fedders From Wal*Mart) and I scored a free computer that was in with the Scrap metals It works too will get pics up when I get my camera Back although I already tossed the case/HDD (Too Dirty/ Beat up/Rusted and the HDD was dead

Specs
AMD Athlon Socket A 900 MHZ
Giga Byte GA-7VKMLS
256 MB Ram
40 X 16 X 48 X CD-RW Drive
Toshiba DVD-Rom Unknown Speed
Just needs a chipset heatsink I guess thats why they thew it out as it has no chipset heat sink

Format _C: said:
Just needs a chipset heatsink I guess thats why they thew it out as it has no chipset heat sink

Do ya think that is the reason? here are about 4 reasons I can think of: :D

AMD Athlon Socket A 900 MHZ
Giga Byte GA-7VKMLS
256 MB Ram
Toshiba DVD-Rom Unknown Speed

;)

nah, could be a great little aux box.

Don't you people feel weird going up to the dumpster with the whole apartment looking on, and grabbing something to take back to your place? If/when I live in an apartment (hopefully soon!) I think I would just be to nervous to grab stuf

yeah i understand how u feel. you can call it DD EE FF or wahtever you are still taking other people's shit from the trash.

ipam45 said:
Don't you people feel weird going up to the dumpster with the whole apartment looking on, and grabbing something to take back to your place? If/when I live in an apartment (hopefully soon!) I think I would just be to nervous to grab stuf

yeah i understand how u feel. you can call it DD EE FF or wahtever you are still taking other people's shit from the trash.

well, if you are embarassed to take it, then you aren't worthy of having it.

I guess you are probably embarassed to buy recycled products? And honestly, do you really care what other people think?

sorry i didn;t mean to be midunderstanding, i DD all the time. i was just to discribe the truth.

I thought that once too, but then I found an entire HP Pentium 4 computer in a dumpster at my apartment complex, including the monitor. Once you find something good you are not going to care who is looking. It's good times when someone moves out.

Umm.. so like I went walking in an alleyway and found this RealDoll lying on top of some trash there. I nab her, take her to my place and get busy and she comes alive. I was like "WTF?! Explain yourself."

And she goes "Chii?"

And I'm all "Oh God not again."

/lame joke

MisterDNA said:
Umm.. so like I went walking in an alleyway and found this RealDoll lying on top of some trash there. I nab her, take her to my place and get busy and she comes alive. I was like "WTF?! Explain yourself."

And she goes "Chii?"

And I'm all "Oh God not again."

/lame joke

You sound like a damn valley girl. :(

MaMMa said:
You sound like a damn valley girl. :(

Think of it with <BUTTHEAD> </BUTTHEAD> tags and it'll make more sense.

Bonus geek points if you know what I was referring to.

I live in central new jersey. I would like to go dumpster diving. Anyone want to meet up? my friends think there too good to go.

Here is the bookshelf I found in the dumpster of Office Max this past winter. It had a defective tag on it that stated that the legs were uneven. It's kinda sad that they just threw the thing away because one leg was an inch longer than the rest. It's even sadder that the original purchaser didn't take five minutes to measure out the legs and cut them even, which would have been easier than taking it back to the store. :rolleyes: Oh well, it worked well for me.

bookshelf.jpg

flobadon said:
Here is the bookshelf I found in the dumpster of Office Max this past winter. It had a defective tag on it that stated that the legs were uneven. It's kinda sad that they just threw the thing away because one leg was an inch longer than the rest. It's even sadder that the original purchaser didn't take five minutes to measure out the legs and cut them even, which would have been easier than taking it back to the store. :rolleyes: Oh well, it worked well for me.

bookshelf.jpg

yo, we got the same case! holla! P180

but the other day walking back to work from lunch, I spotted a nice Commodore 128 computer still in box out by the trash, with all system disks (CP/M 3.0) and manuals, still works! and also a commodore 1200bps modem...... for the joys of broadband surfing *LOL* too bad the monitor cable was missing (DIN to composite), now i've gotta find me an old CGA or EGA monitor with the DB-9 connector..... even had all the manuals and the GEOS disks (kind of a Commodore Windows clone, stood for Graphical Environment Operating System)....... sorry no pics, Uncle is borrowing the camera...... of course, when he gets home i'm going to hit him up for his Commodore model 1571 floppy drive (necessary for CP/M as it's DS/DD; the Commodore 1541 is SS/SD)..... and if i'm lucky he'll still have the RGB cable from his C64.....

coolie_d said:
but the other day walking back to work from lunch, I spotted a nice Commodore 128 computer still in box out by the trash, with all system disks (CP/M 3.0) and manuals, still works! and also a commodore 1200bps modem...... for the joys of broadband surfing *LOL* too bad the monitor cable was missing (DIN to composite), now i've gotta find me an old CGA or EGA monitor with the DB-9 connector..... even had all the manuals and the GEOS disks (kind of a Commodore Windows clone, stood for Graphical Environment Operating System)....... sorry no pics, Uncle is borrowing the camera...... of course, when he gets home i'm going to hit him up for his Commodore model 1571 floppy drive (necessary for CP/M as it's DS/DD; the Commodore 1541 is SS/SD)..... and if i'm lucky he'll still have the RGB cable from his C64.....
Dude, those commodore 128s are worth quite a bit(well, not a lot, but it's decent considering you paid $0 for it). I'm about to sell an old 128d on ebay, and I'm hoping I'll hit at least $50 with it. But if you have a full working system, that might be kinda cool to hang on to. I don't know who would throw one of those away.

I just went to my local petsmart to return a fish tank filter that was missing a piece. in the process of trying to get another one, i asked the boss, or the guy who was in charge at the time, whether or not they sent the broken items back to the home office or the vendor, or RTV. the guy said no, it cost too much money to send stuff back, so they just throw everything away. considering the only thing this filter lacked was a bottom cap (easily fixed with duct tape if i wanted to), it was a perfectly fine filter pump. if they throw away something as good as that, i wonder what else they'd throw away. i alsowonder if their dumpster is locked. i'm gonna check back in a day or two and see what they've thrown away. if the dumpster is unlocked, and they throw this stuff away fairly quickly, i think you could get away with returning a 'broken' item, and just fishing it out of the trash in the back a day or two later. granted this is all just pet stuff, but still, if it means you can get a free cat tree or something free because the rug had a rip, what the hell right? :-D

Everfalling said:
I just went to my local petsmart to return a fish tank filter that was missing a piece. in the process of trying to get another one, i asked the boss, or the guy who was in charge at the time, whether or not they sent the broken items back to the home office or the vendor, or RTV. the guy said no, it cost too much money to send stuff back, so they just throw everything away. considering the only thing this filter lacked was a bottom cap (easily fixed with duct tape if i wanted to), it was a perfectly fine filter pump. if they throw away something as good as that, i wonder what else they'd throw away. i alsowonder if their dumpster is locked. i'm gonna check back in a day or two and see what they've thrown away. if the dumpster is unlocked, and they throw this stuff away fairly quickly, i think you could get away with returning a 'broken' item, and just fishing it out of the trash in the back a day or two later. granted this is all just pet stuff, but still, if it means you can get a free cat tree or something free because the rug had a rip, what the hell right? :-D

I'm pretty sure buying something then returning it as "broken" to trick the company into throwing it away so you can get it for free can be considered fraud...

Besides, petsmart throws away alot of litter and shit, so good luck. I tend to dive at a gamestop dumpster next to a Petsmart and their dumpster smells like animal ass... Even spoted one of those centrifuges for test tubes but I wouldn't touch it (Animal blood)

jpmkm said:
Dude, those commodore 128s are worth quite a bit(well, not a lot, but it's decent considering you paid $0 for it). I'm about to sell an old 128d on ebay, and I'm hoping I'll hit at least $50 with it. But if you have a full working system, that might be kinda cool to hang on to. I don't know who would throw one of those away.
my guess, considering the area I found it in, would be some old person who had it in their attic for years and was just cleaning house..... or perhaps someone died and their family was cleaning out the house...... Too bad it wasn't a 128D that I found, since then I wouldn't have to worry about getting ahold of my Uncle's 1571...... Good news for you is, the only 128D I could find on ebay is going for $132.50 right now, so you should clear at least $50, no problem..... the normal 128 is worth quite a bit less, to the tune of $10 or so......

c.d.e said:
I'm pretty sure buying something then returning it as "broken" to trick the company into throwing it away so you can get it for free can be considered fraud...

just an idea.

i found an imac g3 blueberry in the trash before, at the local kindergarten.
the next week, there were about 40 17" CRT monitors, with only some plastic damage, but it rained earlier: (
i found an old dell once too, it was still running.
i just robbed it of the cd drive, 6 gig hd, and 64 mb stick of ram.

one of the best threads going. haven't read it for awhile. keep up the stories. cheers!

Everfalling said:
just an idea.

Most of the time they get sent back to the vendors who reuse the parts on other models or fix them up and sell them as refurbs.

Had a ok find at a local pc store today-

about 900 Compaq Quick restore disk
IBM Thinkpad Poster
3 Windows 95 disk still sealed
And DOS 6.1 and 6.3 Books

A good find in my book and a bunch of frisbees:D

Moderman said:
Had a ok find at a local pc store today-

about 900 Compaq Quick restore disk
IBM Thinkpad Poster
3 Windows 95 disk still sealed
And DOS 6.1 and 6.3 Books

A good find in my book and a bunch of frisbees:D

damn. too bad you didn't find any DOS 6.22 disks. That was the best MS version ever.

coolie_d said:

My dad has a complete (and should be still fully functional) Commodore 64 I believe. That thing used to be the shit back about 15 years or so ago when I used to play on it before I even know what a computer was. Ahhhhh.... California Games and Winter Olympics... memories

My dad has a complete (and should be still fully functional) Commodore 64 I believe. That thing used to be the shit back about 15 years or so ago when I used to play on it before I even know what a computer was. Ahhhhh.... California Games and Winter Olympics... memories

Dude, I had one too. Should still, but not sure where it was. Used to play Winter Olympics too. Plus Spy Hunger, Mountain king, zaxon, silent service (sub game), Archon.

Everfalling said:

Yeah go back & tell me how it was.

Between the cat littler and various other animal feces (hamsters, etc.. etc..) I'd be willing to be it smells quite good. On top of that all of the animals that die! Fish, reptiles, etc... that probably get pitched in there. You'd not only get stinky but risk your health.

chrisf6969 said:
Yeah go back & tell me how it was.

Between the cat littler and various other animal feces (hamsters, etc.. etc..) I'd be willing to be it smells quite good. On top of that all of the animals that die! Fish, reptiles, etc... that probably get pitched in there. You'd not only get stinky but risk your health.

Legally, the are not allowed to dump animals.

SpangeMonkee said:
Legally, the are not allowed to dump animals.

I agree that they are not suppose to. It was this past December that I went to a dumpster that was shared by a few stores, a local elctronic store, pharmacy and pet store.
Well, I went one weekend and found a fax machine in pretty good shape about 2yrs old, it worked like brand new. So, I figured this is a pretty good dump to check on now and again.
went back a few weeks later, I lift the lid back started russling through the stuff in side and then let out a screach like a little girl. there was a dead snake inside just laying on top of the bags, not even in a bag or sorts. last time I went back to that dump.

I doubt those health codes refer to small lizards as "animals". Rodents, maybe, lizards and snakes probably not. Most of the time they're about big house pets, dogs, cats, rabbits.

Local guy was just cleaning out his house *getting a divorce* and I noticed his dumpster. I walked up to him and asked if he would mind if I take a look he told me to go ahead and to take anything I like as long as I did not put anything in that was not already there.

I ended up with four sets of monster cables, one old Texas instruments 94/a4 computer in original box with three applications, and three games, (sold on eBay), one old new in the box splash out game (also sold on eBay) two eight pound weights (one in the back seat of my car) Never know when that might come in handy. Four old HDD 13 GB, 40GB, 20GB and 10GB, all worked. I was going to go back another day but it rained :( . I was having a blast.

KM

Hmm my D-Diving adventure.

I was working for an IT company that was moving out of state, so they were cleaning out the old site.

MY god I had a ball, after work when everyone left I would hop in and start digging.

Picked up a "dead" 80GB external USB drive, tossed the HDD it was dead, but kept the adapter. Acquired 9 HDDs, 3 Scsi 320, rest IDE's all small. The day before a tech brought back a 22" that was "not working right" I over heard him talking about tossing it. He said he was going to test it first, so I stuck my nose in his cubicle while he boated up his laptop, there was some discoloration in the lower right corner, he tapped the degause..........and WALLLLAAAA it was gone. The user had no idea waht the degause was, that and we think she wanted a new monitor anyway. So I talked him into letting me have the 22" CRT, considering it was already written off as dead.

A week later at the same site I noticed a nice Nvidia card on a techs desk, we were talking and he mentioned it, I asked about it and he said he had no use for it as it had been replaced. He was going to toss it. It was a Nvidia graphic design card (can't remember the model now) But new it went for like 500+ I sold it for a 150$ to a graphic design student. Card worked fine, and he got a great deal.

so is dd illegal? cus now i wanna go with my friend, my mom doesnt noe if it was illegal or not so is it or not?

lillimon04 said:
so is dd illegal? cus now i wanna go with my friend, my mom doesnt noe if it was illegal or not so is it or not?

It depends on local laws, some places yes you are on private property and have no right to go into the dumpster. Now if you were to see it on the curb for weekly pickup you might be able to pick it up but also in some places that is also illegal.

KM

maybe this counts, maybe it don't. Today i volunteered at a recycling event with another forum member, and while in the process of collecting a total of 6 semi trucks full of junk, we also got (for ourselves)
  • 7 full computers, one was below 1ghz, the rest were p4 and celeron between 1.4 and 2.6, 128 to 256mb ram, etc.
  • complete dolby digital home theatre package
  • four 15" lcd's, one 17", one 19" (yes, they work)
  • three 21" Dell Trinitron CRT's
  • duron 600, tbird 1.4, xp 1900, xp 3000, p4 1.8, cpu's
  • socket 462 motherboard
  • wireless kb's / mice

I am not sure but what was the recycling for was it to get rid on unwanted electronics so they don't go into the local landfill? I say sweet deal.. :eek:

KM

Back