Dumpster Diving!

Haha alright, once I go to my friends house again (Where all the stuff is, besides the wheel) I shall take pictures out the wazoo!

xboxfn5.jpg

Here is the xbox wheel/pedals though =]

Who the @#%! throws away a psp and 360 wheel AND 500 games, WTF where did you go to find this stuff?

Went DDing today, Office Depot, Compusa, and a random runaround to Toys R Us. Anyway, got 3 DVD-Rs from Office Depot. Compusa and Toys R Us had compactors :( It was a quick run, lasting only 25 minutes or so, and I went alone without a flashlight (forgot it *doh!*) Anyway, t'was fun as usual. Anyone around Arcadia, CA or Los Angeles (especially around USC) that can DD?

last week i was at my dad's work and i got a FREE HP Vectra P2-450 :)
Yeah I know, not diving but it was still free...I still get tons of scrap wire from there too.

One of my friends was picking up a really awesomeand practically new stereo from a dumpster behind a store, and a security cop actually told him it was illegal to remove stuff in dumpsters until they had been removed to a landfill, because the dumpster was the property of the store still. Anyone ever hear anything similar?

anyone in the detroit downriver area (allen park, taylor, lincoln park, etc..) wanna DD, just PM and we'll set something up. I've got a cavalier, not a whole lot of room but we could nab some stuff.

side story my cousin works at a recycle place in detroit and find all kinds of stuff, he saw somebody carrying out a 42"+ Plasma TV, they plugged it in and it worked he said and the guy put it in his car. The only thing is they can't sell whatever they find.

I did this once and walked away with a DVD player, some studio monitors, Windows OneNote 2003, and a few CDs.

My best dive ever was 4 years ago, I found a box of brand new SCSI controllers for a rack mount server.. sold the lot for over 4k on ebay

One of my friends was picking up a really awesomeand practically new stereo from a dumpster behind a store, and a security cop actually told him it was illegal to remove stuff in dumpsters until they had been removed to a landfill, because the dumpster was the property of the store still. Anyone ever hear anything similar?

Technically yes, and no. Most of the time, the store rents the dumpster from the collection company, and you are on private (but open to the public) property.

i have just finished reading all of these pages and wow my god how many good things ppl have actually found going through dumpsters

I decided to swing by my local CC the other day, but they have compactors. So much for my first Dumpster Diving trip...
I'll have to try GameStop next. It'll be tricky because the dumpster area is out in the open. But I'm just looking for boxes right ;)

why does everyone hate compactors?

Compactors are normally locked - breaking into a locked dumpster is illegal. Beyond that, they are liable to turn on at any time...really not a good idea to be in them anyway - avoid them, for your own good.

You all are very fortunate to have electronic stores so close to you all. Nearest one for me is about 60 miles away. Unless you count Staples as a electronics store...

You all are very fortunate to have electronic stores so close to you all. Nearest one for me is about 60 miles away. Unless you count Staples as a electronics store...
There has been more than a couple of people on here that have had pretty good luck at Staples. You never know til you hop in there and check it out.

I've had some of my best finds at Staples. For example:

I found, new in a damaged box, this desk lamp:
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...oductId=11811&cmArea=SC2:CG35:DP1544:CL161817

Also, a nice briefcase (brand new, damaged box):
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...=-1&productId=101415&cmArea=SC1:CG20:CL120500

And my personal favorite, this chair:
http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...ogId=10051&langId=-1&cmArea=SC2:CG32:CL142570
Unfortunately, the employees at Staples slashed it up a bit with box cutters. However, the damage wasn't too serious, and it quickly became the most popular piece of furniture in our college house. :p

...and a few dozen blank DVDRs. I haven't gone DDing in a while, too much schoolwork .. but yeah, Staples's is the dumpster to be in. ;)

Went DDing today, Office Depot, Compusa, and a random runaround to Toys R Us. Anyway, got 3 DVD-Rs from Office Depot. Compusa and Toys R Us had compactors :( It was a quick run, lasting only 25 minutes or so, and I went alone without a flashlight (forgot it *doh!*) Anyway, t'was fun as usual. Anyone around Arcadia, CA or Los Angeles (especially around USC) that can DD?

small world,
<----Arcadia, CA

don't go DD anymore though

If anyone is in the North County area in California and needs a DD buddy, let me know.

Monrovia right here, not too far from arcadia. Don't do much DDing though.

Anyone in/around Atlanta up for this? I'm in midtown, but we'd probably want to head north to Marietta and that area where it's more industrial. I've got a car, but it's too small to comfortably hold anything. I haven't been diving in forever, but I'm glad to see my thread's still going after what, like 5 years now? :cool:

I hardly ever come here anymore, so your best bet would be to hit me up on AIM -- NewName4Evrythng

does anyone go by themselves? iv got laods of best buys, officemax, staples, officedepots, gamestops..uhmm and other stores around lol

most of my buddies are just too tired to go..so should i go myself? and if so is about 10pm a good time?

by the way...today when i was rolling up to an atm i saw some dude ride up to the dumpster of a an oil change place and him + his gf got some cans of oil LOL

the only reason i remember is because she fell in and came out missing her skirt

no dude, don't go by yourself , except you'r only wishing to get small amount of stuff. if you want big scores bring your friend. Just like others say, 3 people including you would be great. One stay alert in the car, one stand by the dumpster to help out the diver

I have in mind on forwarding this thread to two of my roomates, I hope they find this interesting. beside getting free stuff I think it's very fun aldrenaline pump activity to do at nite LOL

what all tv you found in last year
3 27 inch
1 hd 32 inch
53 inch hd gave away needed 275 to fix
35 sony trintron
36 sony flat tube

Found a couple eMachines today with Celeron 2.7's, DVD/CD-RWs... Bad power supplies, no HD or RAM, but good cases with XP Home keys and motherboard & CPU. Not bad. Powered them up and they work fine (tested without HD, though).

Good find, probably going to throw in some spare parts and make a couple PC's to sell or give away to someone that needs them. Not the best, but not bad at all.

I haven't been for a while, I like to check out the recycler for computers n stuff that might have good cap's in them or good windings so I can mess around with little electric projects. I went to seagate once with a friend a long time ago, found a bunch of hard drive heads, magnets, platters and tons of screws and drive motor parts....

recently stopped by a recycle bin and found a never been used holeshot vortex signature series slip on and some other parts that look like unbuilt motorcycle exhausts. I guess there's a local shop that builds em.

Well i wouldnt call this dumpster diving.....but.....i did save 300+ computers and 200+ monitors from the dump:eek: :eek: :cool: ......2 schools cleaning house....guy bought all of them at an action and never got them....i was just in the right place at the right time i guess.

Only problem now is.....my WHOLE garage is full of computers and monitors.....and my 78 Ford Club Wagon van is full of monitors....:eek: :eek: :eek:

EDIT:.....i forgot to mention that i also saved 3 servers too. and one took 3 men to get into the van :eek:

When I was a little kid I found a wallet in the street complete with $60 in cash and photo I.D.'s. Me being the good Boy Scout that I am, called the guy up and delivered it to his apartment. He was so impressed that the Boy Scout returned his wallet that he gave me all three twenties that were inside. Sweet! There are some good people out there and it sure felt good to be $60 richer for doing the right thing. :)

As for DD, they should write a book on this. I'm having a blast reading through your stories, even though I've never done it myself. For those of you who keep promising pictures, make good on your promises. Let's see the booty! :D:D:D

When I was a little kid I found a wallet in the street complete with $60 in cash and photo I.D.'s. Me being the good Boy Scout that I am, called the guy up and delivered it to his apartment. He was so impressed that the Boy Scout returned his wallet that he gave me all three twenties that were inside. Sweet! There are some good people out there and it sure felt good to be $60 richer for doing the right thing. :)

As for DD, they should write a book on this. I'm having a blast reading through your stories, even though I've never done it myself. For those of you who keep promising pictures, make good on your promises. Let's see the booty! :D:D:D

Cool story :)

I agree on both of the other statements, a book would be awesome (though unlikely since DD is semi illegal) and pictures of the loot are great. "A picture is worth a thousand words" ;)

I manned up for the first time actually started poking around. Found a new office chair at Staples. The back of it was semi-detatched from the bottom part and you can't lean on it without it losing support. Still, if I tear off the backing I could make a decent stool out of it. The Staples people were kind enough not to take the boxcutter to the lower portion! Whoohoo!

I also found a couple of mats with different logos on them at Gamespot.

See the pics thread for an update shortly.

I actually went out with my friend last night, really impromptu.

Hit up a skate shop dumpster, he found 4 wheels, 2 trucks, bearings in the boxes, and a deck with rubbed graphs on the bottom. Pretty sick, a whole new setup, for free! He was psyched. Haha.

Saw some other stuff, an office chair thjat wouldnt fit in my car, nothing too spectacular here... lotta locked ones and alot of compactors.

This stuff sounds really fun and leaving in a big city like i do there are tons of stores so if anyone lives in the Houston area and would like to go DD i will do it like 1 a week , lol im so cheap ! :D

Found a nice dual keyboard stand (musical keyboard) behind MicroCenter, the other day; gave that to a friend of mine. Also got some slightly beat-up trade-show wheeled cases, which I gave to another friend of mine for his video production company.

Wasn't much else worth picking up there, though.

Thankfully the stuff was in one of those nice long bins that are easy to get in and out of.

Back