Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ubuntu 8.043 LTS is still pretty n00b friendly if you want to give that a try.
But will turboboost work with it? No sense switching if it wont help.
Anyone else know if a linux distro that does support turboboost?
If Tobit doesn't know, then I suggest you try PMing Alan or SmokeRngs might even know. These DC forum members are the [H]ardest when it comes to Linux, and if anyone might know, it would be one of them. I want to see your rig running at its full potential because I'm very curious what these new Xeons systems are capable of.Anyone else know if a linux distro that does support turboboost?
Isn't CentOS based off redhat? I have no clue if that means anything, just throwing that out there
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
here's a little turboboost info: http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-17124
I guess it only pertains to redhat though. I'm a total linux idiot

Isn't CentOS based off redhat? I have no clue if that means anything, just throwing that out there
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
Heh, this is how I used to do much of my Linux based folding. However, writing bigadv checkpoints every XX number of minutes across Ethernet to an NFS share isn't something I'd trust too highly.network boot![]()
me either. not for points nor for reliability.Heh, this is how I used to do much of my Linux based folding. However, writing bigadv checkpoints every XX number of minutes across Ethernet to an NFS share isn't something I'd trust too highly.![]()
Another vote for openSuse 11.2, I am running it on my dual xeon box, installed with no GUI on a 4GB USB flash drive. Working fine so far (don't know how long the flash drive will work like this though). Suse's configuration program (Yast) is quite nice also.
As to the Turboboost, I don't know, the Xeon e5504 doesn't support turbo boost.
Well..... I'm downloading it now. I might just install it on a 8GB thumb drive I have. The mobo has an internal USB connection, spiffy![]()
Yeah, I knew all this and I'm using 2.6.33 with Kendrak on his system.. still no go.I am a Linux Idiot but i did find this information.
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15064
kernel 2.6.33 and above should support Turbo Boost.
My Xeons do not have Turbo Mode CapabilitiesEvil, can we do some testing on one of your Supermicro boxes?![]()
My Xeons do not have Turbo Mode Capabilities![]()
I am stuck at stock speed until that EVGA dual board comes out ??
speaking of, did anybody else notice the details released on the evga monster today?
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/3/1/evga-releases-more-details-about-w555-motherboard.aspx
If it's under $500 it is still a good deal. *woof*If it's under $400 I want it Meow!
looking at the features all I see is EXPENSIVE
If I can build a full PC for less than 2000 by the end of summer, I'm doing it.
sure would....wouldn't it.E5520's are $380 -- would be fun to try and OC them to 3.8 GHz.![]()
3.4 before turboboost kicks in and increases the multiplier.Actually, looking at the FAQ again, Shamino says 200 to 205 blck is typical on air, with 230+ achievable on LN2. If that is true of the E5520, with its 17x multiplier, you're looking at "only" 3.4ghz at a blck of 200mhz.
I would be surprised if that would work. Normally dual socket boards require the same processors to be installed. Don't know the exact features of the EVGA board but it would be a small revolution if it supported assymetric setups.Ok, so get one 5530 now, OC it and run bigadv. Then, add a hex core later.