Dual Xeon -bigadv worklog

I thought it said you could mix-match as long as it's the same family, let me check

I know before now they had to match, he'll, I think I read that opterons had to all be the same stepping
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Here!!
PASTED FROM ARTICLE
"You can run different models of Dual QPI Xeon together - such as 5520 + 5540, even Quad Core + Hexa Core together – but must be from same family – ie, NO for Westmere + Nehalem - Performance scaling is fine.
This feature could be huge for customers or companies who have different processors lying around but don’t have exactly identical ones and fear compatibility issues. This feature silences those fears.
You can run Turbo Mode on one CPU and non-Turbo Mode on the other too"
 
^ I read the same thing but want to see it reviewed in practice and see how stable it actually is. Since this has never really been done effectively before outside of proprietary/specialized hardware setups, it would be a first and a little hesitant about it. I've been running dual CPU setups since the late 90s, and identical processors were always mandated, at one time even the same stepping was recommended. This is a new era but I would first want to see it reviewed extensively before pulling the trigger so to speak.
 
frickonastick.jpg

I think this picture would be better if she overclocked her b00bs. :D
 
Even if it didn't work, you could always buy one xeon and step up later when the part you really want is out. I understand the stepping example tho, my opterons are like that. I just hope it really works like that, that would make this a very future proof mobo. Too bad it's DDR 3 tho, I just happen to have 16 gigs of DDR 2 ECC paying around lol

I wonder if there is a date on this board yet?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Back
Top