Dual Core Gaming Fix Guide

DanMan1464 said:
well i did the fix #3 for warcraft III

it works for a bit, then it goes back to the 2fps / instant scroll thing

sometimes it returns to normal, but most of the time it stays that way. Any way to permenantly leave it normal?

Out of curiosity, are you doing any OC of your graphics card? I don't know exactly why, but when OC the GPU with a dual-core system I get odd behavior at some clocks that I didn't a single core. But when I lowered the OC on the GPU by a little bit the freezeing, low FPS would go away.

Perhaps, due to Dual-core optimizations in both the ATI and nVIDIA drivers now, the GPU is pushed a little further even at stock than with a single core CPU. This would cause the OC's on a Dual-core to exceed what may be stable under a single-core application. The net result even at the slightly reduced OC was still faster than with the single core so it's a good trade-off.

Let us know if this was the case and the result.

HighTest said:
Out of curiosity, are you doing any OC of your graphics card? I don't know exactly why, but when OC the GPU with a dual-core system I get odd behavior at some clocks that I didn't a single core. But when I lowered the OC on the GPU by a little bit the freezeing, low FPS would go away.

Perhaps, due to Dual-core optimizations in both the ATI and nVIDIA drivers now, the GPU is pushed a little further even at stock than with a single core CPU. This would cause the OC's on a Dual-core to exceed what may be stable under a single-core application. The net result even at the slightly reduced OC was still faster than with the single core so it's a good trade-off.

Let us know if this was the case and the result.

well i dont' have anything OC'd at all on my computer

and I know the cooling is proper, using stock everything with the side of my case off, so it gets open air

what seemed to help was loading warcraft in windows 95/98 compatibility, and i've never had that FPS problem again (with the fix #3 of course)

I just bought a compaq v6171cl Note book
Turion TL-50 X2,
1gig ddr2 ram
8 x DVR/RW
1280x800 screen
Geforce 6150 using up to 256 shared mem (dynamicaly allocated)
I have loaded doom3, oblivion, and tombraider legend.
I understand that oblivion supports dual core I don't know about the others.
I installed the latest patches on these three games.
I am getting 33 fps in the doom timedemo at low quality.
I would think this is fairly good for a $800.00 laptop
Does the fixs also apply to the turion x2 chips, are there any other bugs on turions
that anyone know about?
Thanks

Yes, I would say that the fixes apply to turion chips also as it seems to be an AMD "issue."

Ok this thread is huge now and i can't read anymore. What is the recommended fix for CS:S getting slow and choppy during gameplay. My system is:

X2 3800+ AM2 Socket
ECS KA3 MVP mobo
ATI X1900GT
Apacer 1GB PC6400

I havn't tried anything as i've read through here some fixes can make it worse, and i don't really want to start messing with the registry if it isn't going to produce results. The problem is the common, getting low and choppy after gameplay it doesn't make my games freeze or stop responding, its just really annoying.

Seanmounce said:
Ok this thread is huge now and i can't read anymore. What is the recommended fix for CS:S getting slow and choppy during gameplay. My system is:

X2 3800+ AM2 Socket
ECS KA3 MVP mobo
ATI X1900GT
Apacer 1GB PC6400

I havn't tried anything as i've read through here some fixes can make it worse, and i don't really want to start messing with the registry if it isn't going to produce results. The problem is the common, getting low and choppy after gameplay it doesn't make my games freeze or stop responding, its just really annoying.

Try the hotfix first. That won't hurt you.

I have a X2 Dual Core 4800+. Not sure if I am getting reduced performance or not as graphic lag = graphics lag in my book. Should I install 1-3 for increased performance or do these have a potential to reduce performance/damage my system?

Also how do I uninstall Microsoft's hotfix? I know I am supposed to set the registry value to 0, but do I go into control panel and manually uninstall after that or what? Couldn't I just delete the registry value? Thanks.

What is this amd_dc_opt file in my startup, and do I need it there? I have an A64 X2 3800, thanks.

OGROK said:
I have a X2 Dual Core 4800+. Not sure if I am getting reduced performance or not as graphic lag = graphics lag in my book. Should I install 1-3 for increased performance or do these have a potential to reduce performance/damage my system?

Also how do I uninstall Microsoft's hotfix? I know I am supposed to set the registry value to 0, but do I go into control panel and manually uninstall after that or what? Couldn't I just delete the registry value? Thanks.

If you know what the hotfix number is, it might have an uninstall package in the add/remove programs

kirbyrj said:
If you know what the hotfix number is, it might have an uninstall package in the add/remove programs

It does have an uninstall package in add/remove programs. Do I first have to go into the registry and change the 1 value to 0 and then unistall the program via add/remove? Do I delete the registry value that I created completely?

I guess what I want to know is whether or not these fixes could actually cause a performance decrease. I have no idea whether or not I am affected by the issue so I figured I might as well have them all installed, but I don't know whether or not they could be creating other issues.

I wouldn't install the hotfix until you think you need it based on your game performance. If you want to remove it, I would uninstall it first, then you can delete the registry value.

This is ridiculous...I dont think any of these fix would fix it to 100%. I have tried nearly every fix. It does fix the lag, but it just doesnt feel right. My fps was at 100 when i was using a venice 3200+. And I only average about 40-60 fps now in CSS with my 3800+. Blah.

Invalid said:
This is ridiculous...I dont think any of these fix would fix it to 100%. I have tried nearly every fix. It does fix the lag, but it just doesnt feel right. My fps was at 100 when i was using a venice 3200+. And I only average about 40-60 fps now in CSS with my 3800+. Blah.

Is it jumpy or smooth?

Max Power said:
Yes, and I couldn't find out whether or not it's required for the dual core optimizer to work.

Did it show up after you installed the DC optimizer?

kirbyrj said:
Did it show up after you installed the DC optimizer?

Yes but if you're implying it's needed because of that... it doesn't make sense. The nVidia drivers installed a thing in startup that's not needed, so maybe the AMD thing is the same way?

kirbyrj said:
Is it jumpy or smooth?

Well it is smooth, but not as smooth when i had the 3200+ venice. I also played counter-strike 1.6 and my fps is just around 50-60. Even my brother laptop with x300 mobile can do better. Im thinking of going to a FX-55, and wait out until the dual core issue is completely fixed and more game take advantage of it.

Hello, i have problem with my computer.
Before i start, i want to say: My english SUCKS hard. If you cant read... try :rolleyes:
(i used translator on some places)

Okay, i play Battlefield 2142. First time i used this computer, it worked fine.
I played the demo and the full version with no problems and high FPS.
But one day was getting self suddenly lows fps so self formats the computer.
I installed battlefield 2142, but whot? still low fps, so i begin to search on the internet to find a answar on my 'low fps' question, and now, im here.
I think the 'low fps' problem is for my dual core processor.
I think my computer will complete BF2142 with no problems:

nVIDIA geforce 7900GTX
and AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+
Ram 2048MB

After the formatreingngnrigeinge, i do this:
1. Install drivers for motherboard
2. for graphiccard
3. latest directX
4. for my soundcard

and then, i tried this:

AMD Optimizer
with 2 cores - low fps
with 1 core - low fps

AMD Drivers X2
with 2 cores - low fps
with 1 core - low fps

AMD Optimizer + AMD Driver
with 2 cores - low fps
with 1 core - not good, but okay

I can play on maps there is not any fights, but if i come too the center of the map, or there is fight.. low fps and its hard to play.
I don't know why its so bad. I have a good computer and i have download correct patches etc. Someone know whats the problem can be? I have a swedish computer and a bad english.

thank you

Is Fix #2 just for X2's then? I seem to be seeing a LOT about X2's, but I'm wondering if Opty 165's are just included when it mentions "dual core fix".

Which fixes have been working the best for Opty people?

Thanks in advance!

dbaldus said:
Is Fix #2 just for X2's then? I seem to be seeing a LOT about X2's, but I'm wondering if Opty 165's are just included when it mentions "dual core fix".

Which fixes have been working the best for Opty people?

Thanks in advance!

Opty's are identical to 2x1mb cache Toledos, so if there's a problem with X2's, there is a problem with s939 Opty's.

kirbyrj said:
How low are your low FPS? At what resolution?
On BF2142? I have 70 a long way from the fights, and 40-45 in the fights.
I have uninstall the patch and the optimizer, and i have same resultat.
I will try again, with only the optimizer again, but i dont think its help.

I have try the biggest you can choose in the game (1280 something, and the resolution over, same resultat, same low fps).

Anyone else have problems with BF2142? I wonder if it's a BF patch. Have you updated your graphics drivers?

Yes, i have the latest drivers, and i have test beta-versions and old graphicdrivers.
I don't know what the problem is, but i think its for the dual core, i know people with same problem but they have not find a answer. It's not a program or virus or something, i have search virus/spywares and i have try without no programs installed on the computer, only drivers.

and yes, the most peoples on bf2142 can play good, but i cant

kirbyrj said:
Opty's are identical to 2x1mb cache Toledos, so if there's a problem with X2's, there is a problem with s939 Opty's.

So... which fixes have been working the best for people with Opty 165's?

I haven't noticed any trouble in either Company of Heroes or Quake 4, but those 2 are the only games that I've actually played since I got my dual core.

dbaldus said:
So... which fixes have been working the best for people with Opty 165's?

I haven't noticed any trouble in either Company of Heroes or Quake 4, but those 2 are the only games that I've actually played since I got my dual core.

I wouldn't install anything until you have a problem. Most newer games are aware of this issue and have taken steps to correct it. Most of the problems were related to older games.

kirbyrj said:
I wouldn't install anything until you have a problem. Most newer games are aware of this issue and have taken steps to correct it. Most of the problems were related to older games.

Will I just know that I have a problem by stuttering graphics (speed ups or slow downs) or what? I don't really have anything to compare it to as my old setup would hardly even run the games that I'm playing now (so I cannot tell if they are running better/worse than they are supposed to).

Thanks!

dbaldus said:
Will I just know that I have a problem by stuttering graphics (speed ups or slow downs) or what? I don't really have anything to compare it to as my old setup would hardly even run the games that I'm playing now (so I cannot tell if they are running better/worse than they are supposed to).

Thanks!

Yes, you'll definitely be able to tell when you're having problems. The game won't run right and it is unplayable.

:confused: why is this STILL a problem ? :confused:

I've got a X64-3800, X850PE, 500GB Shuttle PC sitting collecting dust for more than 5 months.

MrkXCeL said:
:confused: why is this STILL a problem ? :confused:

I've got a X64-3800, X850PE, 500GB Shuttle PC sitting collecting dust for more than 5 months.

You shouldn't have a problem with newer games. Most of the problems are with older ones, and these fixes "should" fix most of the problems you are having.

kirbyrj said:
You shouldn't have a problem with newer games. Most of the problems are with older ones, and these fixes "should" fix most of the problems you are having.
Know my problem yet? I can't fix it, so now i need help. And i will get up soon.

Did you try setting the affinity to one core? I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but if that doesn't work, then there's a different problem than the ones this thread is designed to fix.

Are you running Titan mode? It sounds like everyone is having problems with lagging in there. Or try adjusting the geometry to low or medium.

kirbyrj said:
Did you try setting the affinity to one core? I know it kind of defeats the purpose, but if that doesn't work, then there's a different problem than the ones this thread is designed to fix.

Are you running Titan mode? It sounds like everyone is having problems with lagging in there. Or try adjusting the geometry to low or medium.
Yes, i have try with one core.
And i have try conquest too, same way..
fukkingshitgamecomputer

If I have problems with both cores in a game I usually just set the compatibility mode to win95/98/me and it seems to run perfectly.

woicer said:
Yes, i have try with one core.
And i have try conquest too, same way..
fukkingshitgamecomputer

Well, I'm out of options. I don't have the game, and I was just going by what other people were saying online. But if the problem is simply low FPS, I'm not sure these fixes were designed for that. These fixes are designed to cope with timing and power state issues which resulted in a completely unplayable experience rather than just low FPS.

I just installed my 4400+ X2 and have been running into a wierd issue when I ALT+TAB out of a game mostly City of Villains / City of Heroes. When I ALT+TAB out of the game, I will get light and dark bars scrolling up and down the screen. This never happened while running a 3700+ - only after upgrading to a 4400+ Dual Core.

So far I have only installed the latest AMD driver, AMD Dual Core Optimizer and the latest ATi drivers with CCC. I have read through a majority of this thread and realize some older games don't work well with the dual core. Just wondering if anyone else has run into an ALT+TAB issue after installing a dual core and what you have don't to fix it.

Back