DS3 Rev 3.3

Bad news with the 3.3 revision. I got a hold of a 3.3 and tested it out.

With the 2.0 revision I was hitting 3.6 Ghz with an E6600. The 3.3 revision won't even post for me at 2.7 Ghz. All the same hardware and all the same bios settings. What the hell did they change??!!

I would like to say I fully endorse this post, while I've never previously owned a DS3 1.0 or any other 775 board, I can say my BRAND NEW DS3P 3.3 with F4 Bios (only one on the website?) and E4300 is barely able to do 2.7ghz! :(

Crushed ...

The bios you've linked is for the DS3 not the DS3P
I'm unsure if I can flash my DS3P with a DS3 bios - I'm more than happy to if it solves my piss poor overclocking problems AND I can flash back to a DS3P later if need be.

Any comments on DS3 bios on DS3P?
and will F10 be *that* much better than F4?

URL's here btw.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...rboard&ProductID=2456&ProductName=GA-965P-DS3
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2455
(if you tab quickly in firefox you'll see the tiny difference listed on the pages)

I'd rather try DS4 bios for DS3P as they seem to be very similar boards unlike DS3 and DS3P where you have one PCI-exx1 changed to PEG x16 slot.

Anyway so far i've only heard about using ds4 and ds6 bioses in this manner.

I'd rather try DS4 bios for DS3P as they seem to be very similar boards unlike DS3 and DS3P where you have one PCI-exx1 changed to PEG x16 slot.

Anyway so far i've only heard about using ds4 and ds6 bioses in this manner.

What's the diff from 3P to DS4?

EDIT:
Not only can there be very little difference but unfortunately the F4 bios even looks similar for the 2.
Again do the firefox trick, swich quickly between the pages to see the diff - almost none and same date for the bios's
I'd say the F4 bios on DS3P is v.similar to the F8 on the DS4
On that note even the F10 bios for the normal DS3 is only 4 days newer than the F8 and F4 and lists the same fixes :(

The long story short, sounds like the bios isn't the issue - it's likely a dude E4300 :(

I'm gonna toss in here and agree that the rev 3.3 is a lackluster overclocker. I've got screenshots of my rev 1.0 orthos stable at over 3.6 Ghz, problem was cold boots liked to fail. Rev 3.3 hasnt had a boot issue but overclockability is severely hindered with this rev.

There are others at XS with the same findings.
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2070563&posted=1#post2070563

This is what rev 1.0 was capable of, so is my P5B-E with only 2.1vdimm
3611-1.425v.jpg

..and here is the most I can consistently orthos with rev 3.3...
3514140vwl0.jpg

I've had the rev 3.3 stable up to 3570 - but then the next day, same settings orthos would fail in 15 mins. So the best I can consistently do is about 100 Mhz less than the rev 1.0. Really disappointed in GB.

This is sincerly dissapointing stuff. You think this could be fixed with new BIOS or is the 3.3 kinda bonked cause of the board itself? It's like well I could get a version 2 but then thats stupid since theres a new one out might as well just get a 650i I'm sincerly dissapointed I had high hopes for the 3.3 :mad:

I'm gonna toss in here and agree that the rev 3.3 is a lackluster overclocker. I've got screenshots of my rev 1.0 orthos stable at over 3.6 Ghz, problem was cold boots liked to fail. Rev 3.3 hasnt had a boot issue but overclockability is severely hindered with this rev.

<snip>
<snip>
<snip>
I've had the rev 3.3 stable up to 3570 - but then the next day, same settings orthos would fail in 15 mins. So the best I can consistently do is about 100 Mhz less than the rev 1.0. Really disappointed in GB.

What?!
100mhz, that's a small fluctuation dude!
Admitedly me E4300 has never been on a 2.0 or 1.0 or a DS3 plain (it's on a DS3P 3.3) but none the less, I'm getting a measley 2.7! You hunt across the web and like it seems 50+% of other overclockers can do 3.0 with stock voltage and cooling :(

Sad panda'd.

OMG two boards in a row that will do over 500MHz FSB but the second one just barely makes it. ohh the horror of it all. Damn Gigabyte !! Damn them to hell.

What?!
100mhz, that's a small fluctuation dude!
Admitedly me E4300 has never been on a 2.0 or 1.0 or a DS3 plain (it's on a DS3P 3.3) but none the less, I'm getting a measley 2.7! You hunt across the web and like it seems 50+% of other overclockers can do 3.0 with stock voltage and cooling :(

Sad panda'd.

You got a fan on your NB ? if not get one.

I ripped apart an old bay cooler for a 40mm , I have the DQ6 and the NB heatsink is a little different, anyway I was able to just shove it between the two top outer fins and it popped in there like it belonged. Anything will do, have seen peope find a screw that will go down into the fins or even just hot melt glue one on. You cant really replace the cooler because of the Heatpipe, hmm maybe on S-3 havent looked at one of those in a while.

The NB gets really really hot, and the reason is it is being overclocked as well as your cpu and its really bad between say 360 and 400 FSB. The NB clocks get reset lower at 401 FSB but its still in an overclocked setting so it gets toasty. A lot of people think their cpu is crapping out when its the NB that has given up the ghost.

(This is an accurate simplification of the now famous "NB strap" discussion still on going. )

My theory was, if the board won't even POST at 2.8 then surely it's not a cooling issue, it hasn't had a chance to even get warm yet :(

Have you tried lowering your multiplier and seeing how high the you can push the bus speed?

Are you upping the voltage on anything, aside from the CPU?

I can easily get to 3ghz at stock cpu voltage....I think I did add some to the chipset, but I haven't messed around with it enough to see if I can lower those or not.

What I really need is a good northbridge cooler...but I think I'm going to have to replace my XP-90 if I want to fit one in there. As it is, I have to sell my thermalright hu-05-sli cooler....won't fit with the 90 and my video card, which has a zalman cooler on it.

Have you tried lowering your multiplier and seeing how high the you can push the bus speed?

Are you upping the voltage on anything, aside from the CPU?

I can easily get to 3ghz at stock cpu voltage....I think I did add some to the chipset, but I haven't messed around with it enough to see if I can lower those or not.

What I really need is a good northbridge cooler...but I think I'm going to have to replace my XP-90 if I want to fit one in there. As it is, I have to sell my thermalright hu-05-sli cooler....won't fit with the 90 and my video card, which has a zalman cooler on it.

I have dropped multiplier, tried like 8x and 366 and 7x and both failed also.
You're right about the N/B cooler, I never realised it got so hot! :(

Still I got a lemon, board or CPU - gonna sell it I think, incredibly disapointed.

Guys dumb question but I have to know.

So I've got this DS3P, E4300 and 667ram.

You know the control f1 menu, for memory controls.
Well to _my knowledge_ I shouldn't have a need to go in there when I'm running the ram at only 667mhz, right?
There's no other functionality in the control f1 advanced menu which I'm missing in there?

I've been chosing the following in the "basic" menu

6x,7x,8x,9x multiplier
280 / 290 / 300 / 310 / 320 / 333mhz
PCI-e forced to 100mhz
Ram ratio so that it stays at 667 or as close as possible
(to ensure it's CPU holding me back, not ram?)
Ummm
Voltage I tried auto and manual settings
1.25 1.325 1.35 1.375 1.4 1.425 and 1.45 (cpu)
Finally I turned that "turbo" mode thing to disabled? it's near the PCI-e speeds?

So to summarize again, anything else I could've missed in the CTRL-F1 menu or is it ALL just memory speeds and not relevant?

Guys dumb question but I have to know.

So I've got this DS3P, E4300 and 667ram.

You know the control f1 menu, for memory controls.
Well to _my knowledge_ I shouldn't have a need to go in there when I'm running the ram at only 667mhz, right?
There's no other functionality in the control f1 advanced menu which I'm missing in there?

I've been chosing the following in the "basic" menu

6x,7x,8x,9x multiplier
280 / 290 / 300 / 310 / 320 / 333mhz
PCI-e forced to 100mhz
Ram ratio so that it stays at 667 or as close as possible
(to ensure it's CPU holding me back, not ram?)
Ummm
Voltage I tried auto and manual settings
1.25 1.325 1.35 1.375 1.4 1.425 and 1.45 (cpu)
Finally I turned that "turbo" mode thing to disabled? it's near the PCI-e speeds?

So to summarize again, anything else I could've missed in the CTRL-F1 menu or is it ALL just memory speeds and not relevant?

I have not been able to find your memory specifications in any of your posts. I would suggest you raise the memory voltage a bit but without knowing what you are using I hesitate to say.

You might take a look at this, I am just getting to memory testing but the bios settings are something you should check out. You should be able to do 9 x 335 (to get past the 333 strap) for a CPU speed of 3.0 GHz and your memory should not even be overclocked.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

If you are on the stock cooler and/or have not yet put a fan on the NB all bets are off.

I have not been able to find your memory specifications in any of your posts. I would suggest you raise the memory voltage a bit but without knowing what you are using I hesitate to say.

You might take a look at this, I am just getting to memory testing but the bios settings are something you should check out. You should be able to do 9 x 335 (to get past the 333 strap) for a CPU speed of 3.0 GHz and your memory should not even be overclocked.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

If you are on the stock cooler and/or have not yet put a fan on the NB all bets are off.

I am on the stock cooler and have not put a fan on the NB, I didn't know that was a common requirement for this board to OC (never saw it mentioned in forum posts or guides)

What's a good 40mm quiet fan which fits?

I shouldn't need to screw with ram, because I'm keeping it @ 667
I tried 334/335/336 as well :( not just 333.
DS3P 3.3 (F4 bios, only one out)
E4300, stock cooler.
Kingston Value 667, but only running @ 667.

I am on the stock cooler and have not put a fan on the NB, I didn't know that was a common requirement for this board to OC (never saw it mentioned in forum posts or guides)

What's a good 40mm quiet fan which fits?

I shouldn't need to screw with ram, because I'm keeping it @ 667
I tried 334/335/336 as well :( not just 333.
DS3P 3.3 (F4 bios, only one out)
E4300, stock cooler.
Kingston Value 667, but only running @ 667.

I've seen a lot of people having problems when they have cheap ddr2 667. In fact, I was one of them. I had some PQI ddr2 667, and I couldn't overclock worth a shit. It would only do about ddr2 600..... 9x300 = 2.7Ghz. Then I upgraded to ddr2 800 and I could overclock higher and run all kinds of speeds, multipliers, etc. combinations.

The lowest ram ratio being 1:1 really kills you on 965 mobos with cheap ram, b/c its very aggressive on the ram. If you had a 975 mobo that could run slower that cheap ram would probably be fine.

Put my 3.3 together couple days ago.. Dont have time to play with it till this weekend

OC it 400x7(2.8ghz) to match my ram. Up the ram v to 2.1. CPU is at stock voltage.

Random boot issues..
Experienced 1 cold boot. Also sometimes when restarting the screen stays blank. Had to unplug power for few minutes. Able to restart. Checked the bios and the mhz reset it self however the rest of the settings stayed the same. Probally needed more juice?

DS3 v3.3 F10
6300 w XP90
buff firestix ddr800

yep,think you are correct. try 1.350 or 1.375 might have to do 1.4 but I would hope not.

From the main bios screen check out the cool F11 Save CMOS... and F12 Load CMOS.. lets you save and reload up to 8 "profiles" to the bios itself, Hit F11 from main bios menu, make a "7x400OK" or something like that, enter to save it, save and exit bios and that baby is permanently in there until you overwrite it. Then when a "tweak" does not work out, boot, go into bios, F12 choose your known good baseline profile 7x400OK or whatever and hit enter. It will load the settings in and you are ready to mess it up again right where you left off, great stuff. Saves a ton of time.

Got my DS3 today that I ordered from Newegg on 3/18/07. On the front of the box it has a sticker that reads "Generation 2.0". Is this telling me the revision? I hope not... :confused:

EDIT: Phew...lower left of the motherboard reads "Rev 3.3". :)

Anyone else having this problem with this board? Got a lian li case with front headphone& mic jacks. I connected it to board & all pins match up.Played with all the settings & still can't get anything out of the headphone jack..................Any ideas? :confused:

Anyone else having this problem with this board? Got a lian li case with front headphone& mic jacks. I connected it to board & all pins match up.Played with all the settings & still can't get anything out of the headphone jack..................Any ideas? :confused:

possible short in the case wiring. Possible motherboard problem.

hi anyone here tried teh f7 bios on teh rev 3.3 board? im really getting sick of this cold boot issue. have tried replacing teh board battery, f9,f10 bios. no luck at all. any feedback would be much appreciated. thanks!

I see no reason why F7 wouldn't work. Do know though that F7 doesn't support e0 conroe, so if you put one in, or manipulate bsel for it, it'll just loop on/off.

DS3 rev 3.3 ate a stick of ram the other night, then it up and died.

Newegg has P5B Deluxe refurbs for $109 shipped. Seriously consider the Asus over the DS3 - both my rev 1.0 and 3.3 have been nothing but problematic.

DS3 rev 3.3 ate a stick of ram the other night, then it up and died.

Newegg has P5B Deluxe refurbs for $109 shipped. Seriously consider the Asus over the DS3 - both my rev 1.0 and 3.3 have been nothing but problematic.

I have had an Asus die, as well as an Abit....there are bad boards in ALL brands.

DS3's are officially a terrible piece of crap - and I don't feel I'm jumping to conclusions -> take a look at my DS3 problem thread...you can see as my Rev 3.3 fails time and time again as I slowly troubleshoot the entire system and single out the mobo, I'm returning it to newegg and going P5B after I have a talk with gigabyte tomorrow.

Stop making blanket statements. Just because you have had a problem does not make the entire group defective. If you keep blowing multiple boards then it apparently is user error.

There seems to be alot of revision 3.3 users that are experiencing user error. My user error seems to be exactly the same results and symptoms as Cerebrex was having.

Conversely, ALOT of 3.3 users are having GREAT results, me included.

I am not saying there are not issues, but if the BIOS is good, the hardware should be pretty consistent in the same revision.

I had lots of stability issues at first, but after getting the F10 bios on and tweaked, they went away. I think other hardware conflicts can be causing some issues as well, notably ram.

So does anyone know which voltages are correct, those you set in the BIOS or those you see in a monitoring program?

I ask because my E4300 needs more than the "stock" 1.325 vcore at anything above 2.4GHz. However, that "stock" 1.325V shows up as 1.22v in programs like speedfan or CPUID under load. I was able to OC the E4300 to 3.1GHz very stable, but it needed to set the voltage to 1.4125 in the BIOS. Of course this showed up as 1.36v in windows.

So is my chip a dog, or not? (considering that it seems like a lot of E4300's go to 3GHz on "stock" voltage) If it matters my temps (from coretemp) are 38C/60C.

Back