DS3 Rev 3.3

There seems to be alot of revision 3.3 users that are experiencing user error. My user error seems to be exactly the same results and symptoms as Cerebrex was having.

I've never blown multiple boards, I've only owned one board. I really can't say it's user error... right now Bill Parrish is having me install new HSF's on my north/south bridges and fans.. and also AS5.... if that resolves my issues I'm still pissed that I had to do such a ridiculous amount of work just to achieve a decent OC that most any other board would never have required.

I've never blown multiple boards, I've only owned one board. I really can't say it's user error... right now Bill Parrish is having me install new HSF's on my north/south bridges and fans.. and also AS5.... if that resolves my issues I'm still pissed that I had to do such a ridiculous amount of work just to achieve a decent OC that most any other board would never have required.

Damn I am considering myself lucky, which is hard to believe since I never seem to get the primo stuff, but all I did was put the F10 bios on and tweak a bit, and this board has been a rock. I have not even checked my nb contact since it never goes over 53c, and my ram is workign well. Also hard to believe since I have two 1gb sticks of Geil, and two 512mb sticks of A-Data in there, all of them PC6400. Two different brands, both rated to run at 1.8v, no issues yet. *whew*

I hope you get your stuff going right.

TheRapture;1030839235 I have not even checked my nb contact since it never goes over 53c, and my ram is workign well.

What are you using to measure your nb temp on the ds3?

I have speedfan, what temp is the NB?

The only temp that I am not sure of in Speedfan is Temp 1 in the screenshot.

I have tested to see if Temp 1 is the NB by placing a fan on it. I can feel it cool down by touching the heat sink with my finger but Temp 1 in speed fan did not change.

Are you sure that speedfan monitors the NB on the DS3?

I have speedfan, what temp is the NB?

The only temp that I am not sure of in Speedfan is Temp 1 in the screenshot.

Are you sure that speedfan monitors the NB on the DS3?

Yes, it will monitor the nb, when I get home from work I will see which setting you have to configure, it is in one of the advanced setup menus further in, you can also rename your temps there....

At least for me, in speedfan I get three basic temp readings, non-core. One is clearly a CPU reading as it tracks the same changes as the core temps. One is nonsense, negative temps. This leaves one which we presume is the NB temp? I am a bit suspicious, as mine reports 41C, with the stock heatsink, no fan added, in a fairly low-airflow system with an Ultra-120, currently at 333FSB. However, this does not jive with how hot the NB heatsink feels, which has to be at least in the 50-60C range. Is this sensor off by 15C as well, or is that only a problem with the CPU temp readings?

I have a antec 900 case with front speakers. The only way I have found to make the headphones work is to unplug speakers from the back of the case, while using headphones.

I have a antec 900 case with front speakers. The only way I have found to make the headphones work is to unplug speakers from the back of the case, while using headphones.

Well I solved my problem,it was me not looking close enough.I had actually missed one row of pins when I plugged the front jacks in:mad: ..............In some cases it is in the sound software,you have to check the box to disable the front panel jack detection to make it work.......................:)

Well I solved my problem,it was me not looking close enough.I had actually missed one row of pins when I plugged the front jacks in:mad: ..............In some cases it is in the sound software,you have to check the box to disable the front panel jack detection to make it work.......................:)

My work but then the sound come out on both speakers and the headphones :D

How's this board for a standard user of a C2D 6600?

Waste of money if I wont be overclocking?

This board has been great for me so far except for one issue...one very annoying issue, the "cold boot" thing. I press the power button when my PC is off to power it on, it says on for a split second, then goes off, then comes on for a slight bit longer, then back off, and THEN it finally boots up properly. This cannot be good on the rest of my parts. If anyone has had this issue on a Rev. 3.3 F10 BIOS and found a solution, please post it.

How do you ever get the IDE port to manage your dvd drive correctly, whatever I do will bring a ! in my hardware list :/

Bios is configured correctly...

are you setting jmicron to ide or ahci/raid? if not ide, try that

How do you ever get the IDE port to manage your dvd drive correctly, whatever I do will bring a ! in my hardware list :/

Bios is configured correctly...

I use a SATA DVD-RW drive, no problems with IDE ports :eek: :cool:

I am having the same problem. I have switched Memory Voltages,Different Memory, Reloaded Windows on a different drive, heck I even changed the processor. No Luck, 3 or 4 tries from a cold boot. I will RMA and get another one?

Walt

I am having the same problem. I have switched Memory Voltages,Different Memory, Reloaded Windows on a different drive, heck I even changed the processor. No Luck, 3 or 4 tries from a cold boot. I will RMA and get another one?

Walt

I don't know what I'm going to do for sure. The only thing I know is that I am not putting up with this much longer...it was a perfect board for the price and has caused me no problems other than the cold boot thing. :(

I'm considering doing a RMA refund with Newegg and going for something else, even though I will probably get stuck with a 15% restocking fee, if I understand their policy. I've read good things about EVGA and their RMA process, incase I were to get a problematic board from them.

Have you tried the F11A beta bios. I think its fixed in that. I run my Ds3 with that bios and do not suffer cold boot.
(Sorry if im spelling things wrong im swedish :D)
(My first post on this forum) :D

Its a dam shame im running my 6300 stock :( . One,
I have to use my PC for other things so its a PITA when you have a cold boot. And two, I found out my CPU temp is too high according to intel TAT. Its showing ~48c on idle! Before, I was going by the reading on easy tuner5 which showed ~29-30c :D which was too good to be true....This is with an XP90. I bet the stock intel HS is better...

Does this board really have a lot of problems running both IDE hardware and SATA hardware? I will still have 1 IDE HDD and 1 DVDRW on IDE.

I will get a master drive on SATA but want to keep the older stuff around for a little while longer.

I didn't have any problems with running PATA HDD and DVD-RW on the S3 r3.3.
Unlike POS asus p4b i bought for friend computer.

Does this board really have a lot of problems running both IDE hardware and SATA hardware? I will still have 1 IDE HDD and 1 DVDRW on IDE.

I will get a master drive on SATA but want to keep the older stuff around for a little while longer.

It has one IDE connector one the motherboard...I'm not sure if you could use a cable that supports 2 IDE devices (a HD and a DVDRW), I'm not for sure if that would work or not. I had 2 SATA HDs and one IDE DVDRW hooked up and they worked fine.

I am running a sata dvdrw and a ide hd on this board and no problems so far. Apparently if you put a hd on the same ide cable as a optical drive you may run into issues when burning and transfers between optical drive and hd from what I read online. Just check that portion out before you decide.

Where's a good place to get the ds3 rev 3.3 in the US? I see ClubIT has a listing specifically for rev 3.3. Is that a trustworthy place to order from?

From what I read though, people that just ordered recently from newegg aren't necessarily guaranteed to get the 3.3 revision.

I see a link on Newegg for rev 1.3... But no explicit link for rev 3.3. In fact the link on Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012
appears to point to an older rev in specs, since the audio chipset is not the same as on gigabyte's site for rev 3.3

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Mot...rboard&ProductID=2428&ProductName=GA-965P-DS3

EDIT: hey, u just edited your post.. Anyways, I think I'll try for ClubIT then becaues I don't want to order through NewEgg and find out i didn't get a rev 3.3.

Walt

LOL, Well I solved my problem above. First rule, always test removable parts. When booting up it woul take two to four time before I could get into windows. Each time a cold boot. I would start to see the windows black screen and wham cold boot. Thought I had a driver problem, no. Thought I had a hard ware problem (See Above)yes, but it turned out to be the video card. Seems like when my XFX 7950GT would try to pull voltage from the motherboard, it overloaded the motherboard. So be carefull paring the XFX 7950GT (570M Extreme) with the DS3. The video card rocks in other machines, have an ATI XT1950XT 512 in there now and my gigabyte rocks. My wife loves Her new machine, now.

Oh by the way there was a question about raid 5, I tried an could not figure it out. It has two SATA ports you can raid, the other 4 are tied to together with the IDE. When in the raid controller, you cannot see any of the other ports available. So my answer is no. Someone else might have figured it out though.

Walt

I don't post alot, but I have been following this thread, and I have got to add my positives in here again....my DS3, has been fantastic thus far, at least since I flashed to the F10 bios. The included F9 bios was trash, cold boot issues from hell and mostly unstable when overclocked. The F10 bios made it act like a totally different board.

I have not used a gigabyte mobo in years, but after researching quite a bit, the DS3 was my choice, since it is a very low priced board for the money/features ratio, as compared to the other big overclocking boards for the C2D's.

Be sure though, if I have any issues with it I'll complain a bit :p

I finally RMAed mine due to the cold boot issue. I think I tweaked every possible BIOS setting combination and it always had the same issue. I went with the eVGA 680i...I know, it seems like going from one extreme to the other as far as price, but my 680i has no issues turning on from a cold boot. I also like the layout of the board a lot more.

Well, I thought I'd chime in on a DS3 thread, mostly to defend this board to anyone who's thrown in the towel.

I've had a Rev. 1 w/ E6000 running @ 3.2 (1.35 volts) for 3 months, and no problems.

I just finished a second build w/ a Rev. 3.3 and w/ a newer (Feb., 2007) E6000 also @ 3.2, and no problems for a week now. The new E6600 does require a little more voltage (1.4 volts)

This board has good audio, no problems with ram and just keeps chugging along.

The only comment/problem I see is the Vdroop; but lots of boards have it; it may just be a bit greater on the 3.3, maybe because of the new "circuit" voltage design.

The sound's alright, but I'm still glad to get off onboard solutions. When I was in some games, namely the old cs, when someone throws smoke, it'll make sound stutter for a second, even overclocked at 3.2 or 3.6.

Interesting; I haven't played counter strike yet w/ the 3.3 build, so I'll have to let you know.

I was having weird boot issues with this board as well until I upped the vMCH by .1v. I didn't want to initially due to all the reports of high MCH temps however the instability was annoying the hell out of me; sometimes the computer would boot other times it would not.

Board's been pretty much stable now even with a lot of manual booting/shut downs; hasn't failed to boot once unlike before. *fingers crossed*. FSB is at 334, which by most accounts anything over 250 or 290 or whatever requires a vMCH bump.

Otherwise, everything is running ok.

Back