Droid

Anyone gotten Locale to work on their Moto droid? I can't seem to have it find my location no matter how hard I try. :(

BTW, keyring app is fucking awesome.

Anyone gotten Locale to work on their Moto droid? I can't seem to have it find my location no matter how hard I try. :(

BTW, keyring app is fucking awesome.

is your gps working? does it know where you are in maps?

Actually, that was another small bug I noticed- sometimes the GPS just seems to stop working (when I do Google Nav, for example, it'll just stay on "Searching for GPS..." forever). In order for it to pick it up, I either had to turn GPS off and back on, or, in some cases, power off/on the phone.

And you're outside when trying the GPS?

I just got it to pick up my location after a few power on/offs. Strange :confused:

What's interesting though is that the first few seconds, theres no GPS icon, then it comes on, BUT if I let it sleep the display (i have it set to 15 seconds I believe), it'll kill the GPS location for Locale. So I just have to keep on tapping the screen buttons to keep the display alive.

Locale has always worked for me.

I also got a Google Maps update notification today, perhaps a few bug fixes.

I have never used locale... when i looked at it i just thought it would sap wayyyyy to much battery. Can anyone confirm / deny this?

I have never used locale... when i looked at it i just thought it would sap wayyyyy to much battery. Can anyone confirm / deny this?

On the G1 it uses about the same amount of juice as keeping GPS on. I haven't noticed a massive difference in battery life with or without it.......than again the G1 has the battery life of a gnat anyway so take it for what it's worth.

seems on my droid that the location service only works when an app makes a request and doesn't run all the time.

Alright so I just ordered my Droid online. I had to sent an email to vzw CS but they bumped up my annual upgrade to now so I got the 2yr pricing, not bad I'd say. Hopefully I'll get it Tues.

I have a question for you guys. If you are on the Verizon 2 year upgrade plan, can you get this phone on your upgrade and just not activate it and stay on your old phone? I just want to use my upgrade and possibly sell the phone online to someone that actually wants to use it and pay for the data plan. Is it possible to do this?

I have a question for you guys. If you are on the Verizon 2 year upgrade plan, can you get this phone on your upgrade and just not activate it and stay on your old phone? I just want to use my upgrade and possibly sell the phone online to someone that actually wants to use it and pay for the data plan. Is it possible to do this?

To buy a droid you have to pay for a data plan. So if you want to enter a new 2 year agreement with a 350 dollar ETF and pay 30$ a month for a data plan while still using your old phone .... sure!

My friend is having her service switched over to Verizon to get the Droid. I'll get to play with it once she gets one. I went to the Verizon store the other day to check the Droid out for only a few seconds. I was amazed at how slim it is and how big the screen was.

Very interesting.

I initially wanted the TP2 for Sense UI, as its pretty slick/badass. But, I opt'd for the Droid due to it's quickness/feel.

To buy a droid you have to pay for a data plan. So if you want to enter a new 2 year agreement with a 350 dollar ETF and pay 30$ a month for a data plan while still using your old phone .... sure!

I can't just continue my 2 year agreement on my new phone and let the new buyer of it have his own plan with data once he gets it and activates it? I suppose it HAS to be on my plan.

Did anyone do the manual update to 2.0.1? I did and it worked out great for me but I wanted to know if anyone else has tried it yet hehe.

Did anyone do the manual update to 2.0.1? I did and it worked out great for me but I wanted to know if anyone else has tried it yet hehe.

I did the update with the update.zip off of the android.google site linked in that thread mentioned above. Went fine, phone is a little bit snappier! Didn't root or anything more complex, though.

I just downloaded and installed the update automatically. Every went fine, Ive noticed they have changed the sliding motion for the lock, and design for the power widget, and sliding between the three desktop panes seem to be a lot smoother now. Does anyone know where I can find I complete list of changes?

I just downloaded and installed the update automatically. Every went fine, Ive noticed they have changed the sliding motion for the lock, and design for the power widget, and sliding between the three desktop panes seem to be a lot smoother now. Does anyone know where I can find I complete list of changes?

Verizon Posted System Update information for the droid:

http://learning.verizonwireless.com/learning/Droid_Motorola_Software_Update.pdf

Enjoy improved performance with these OS enhancements.
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce new software enhancements for your DROID by Motorola smartphone. The Droid by Motorola software version AP:ESD56/BP:C_01.3E.01P update includes numerous improvements.

The following enhancements to the Droid by Motorola have been made:
xx OS stability is improved.
xx Battery life is improved.
xx Camera auto focus functionality is improved, and time between shots is reduced.
xx Enhancements for three-way calling.
xx Audio for incoming calls is improved.
xx When receiving a call on call waiting, the speakerphone now remains on.
xx Bluetooth® functionality is improved; background echo is eliminated.
xx Improved Bluetooth phone book transfer of contacts to in-vehicle Bluetooth solutions.
xx After closing a GPS application, the GPS icon will now automatically be removed from the notification panel.
xx Users can now receive SMS and MMS messages after an EMS message is received.
xx SMS and MMS may now be sent to seven-digit addresses.
xx Google® contact merging has been updated to accommodate seven-digit numbers.
xx Visual Voice Mail notices now arrive instantaneously.
• The corporate calendar widget user interface is updated.

I been noticing this for the last couple weeks now. I have Facebook sync with only the contacts in my address book. However for about half of my contacts, when I go to Contacts, click a person, it will say Facebook profile 2 to 4 times for that person. Anyone else getting this as well? Any fixes?

I can't just continue my 2 year agreement on my new phone and let the new buyer of it have his own plan with data once he gets it and activates it? I suppose it HAS to be on my plan.

I am not really sure what this other person would gain from buying the Droid from you anyway. If you decide to sign up for a new Verizon Two Year Plan, the phone would be the same cost as your New for Two cost. His only benefit would be if he is say 1 year into his two year plan, he would get an upgraded phone for the same price that he would get for waiting 8 more months.

I am not really sure what this other person would gain from buying the Droid from you anyway. If you decide to sign up for a new Verizon Two Year Plan, the phone would be the same cost as your New for Two cost. His only benefit would be if he is say 1 year into his two year plan, he would get an upgraded phone for the same price that he would get for waiting 8 more months.

No it wouldn't. The New Every 2 gives you an additional discount. $50 or $100 depending on the plan and which line I believe.

So say the 2yr price is $200. If you had the NE2 credit of $100. It would cost you $100 in the end.

If you don't wait for the NE2 and upgrade at 1yr, you get just the 2yr pricing.

No it wouldn't. The New Every 2 gives you an additional discount. $50 or $100 depending on the plan and which line I believe.

So say the 2yr price is $200. If you had the NE2 credit of $100. It would cost you $100 in the end.

If you don't wait for the NE2 and upgrade at 1yr, you get just the 2yr pricing.

They gave me the NE2 discount even though I had my phone for 1 yr. Not sure why they did that, but I wasn't complaining.

Call them up. 1-800-469-3151

They told me they could do something over the phone that they weren't allowed to do in stores or online. They were going to give me the env3 for free after the $100 NE2 discount. I told them that I was still a year out, and they said no problem.

So I asked them about the Droid. They told me they'd give me the same $100 discount, and there is a $100 rebate, so I ended up getting it for $99 + tax even though I had a year left with my old phone.

I'll be getting my Droid tomorrow! My step dad is a store manager for Verizon so I get new every 10 months lol. I'm pretty excited for this phone, ive been putting off my upgrade for about a year, so should be fun.

Call them up. 1-800-469-3151

They told me they could do something over the phone that they weren't allowed to do in stores or online. They were going to give me the env3 for free after the $100 NE2 discount. I told them that I was still a year out, and they said no problem.

So I asked them about the Droid. They told me they'd give me the same $100 discount, and there is a $100 rebate, so I ended up getting it for $99 + tax even though I had a year left with my old phone.

Nothing to lose right. Thanks.

I'm still loving my droid, and with the camera bug fix it is even better. Looking forward to more improvements.

I'm still loving my droid, and with the camera bug fix it is even better. Looking forward to more improvements.

Camera still sucks imo. For 5megapixel the quality is terrible. Dunno if it's just the settings. my LG Dare took better pics.

Camera still sucks imo. For 5megapixel the quality is terrible. Dunno if it's just the settings. my LG Dare took better pics.

The amount of MPs have nothing to do with quality. MPs are the size of the image. I have a 5mp camera that blows away my brothers 10MP Nikon point and shot, the pictures are just smaller. MPs have become a marketing tool these days trying to get people to upgrade to get a "better" camera.

Its all about the quality of the image sensor and the Droid just doesn't have a high quality sensor. But it's a cellphone, you shouldn't expect it to do as well as a point and shoot.

The amount of MPs have nothing to do with quality. MPs are the size of the image. I have a 5mp camera that blows away my brothers 10MP Nikon point and shot, the pictures are just smaller. MPs have become a marketing tool these days trying to get people to upgrade to get a "better" camera.

Its all about the quality of the image sensor and the Droid just doesn't have a high quality sensor. But it's a cellphone, you shouldn't expect it to do as well as a point and shoot.

Yeah I understand how quality works. But as a $500 phone it should be better. Regardless of if it's a phone or whatever.

I still have minor issues which happen occasionally on the 2.0.1 firmware, so bring on 2.0.2!

For all those people waking up to new Droids on Christmas, have fun with your new palmtop! :)

Back