• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dragon Age II

Could be. I didn't see this much backlash when DA:O hit and it actually wasn't a spiritual successor to BG2 though.

DA:O was actually a serious, traditional RPG which is what everyone wanted. DA2 plays like World of Warcraft and Mass Effect had a baby.
 
DA:O was actually a serious, traditional RPG which is what everyone wanted. DA2 plays like World of Warcraft and Mass Effect had a baby.

You do realize at high levels WoW is one of the most strategic RPGs out there right? Well ok most MMOs are, but still. Yes DA2 is flashy and faster paced, but it really doesn't fucking matter. The gameplay is almost 100% the bloody same. I'm playing DA2 the exact same way I did DAO. Don't put any effort into random mobs and take time to focus and plan on harder bosses.
 
You do realize at high levels WoW is one of the most strategic RPGs out there right? Well ok most MMOs are, but still. Yes DA2 is flashy and faster paced, but it really doesn't fucking matter. The gameplay is almost 100% the bloody same. I'm playing DA2 the exact same way I did DAO. Don't put any effort into random mobs and take time to focus and plan on harder bosses.


This post was meant in jest right? The gameplay is nowhere near the same, then again if you believe wow and EQ (rok) to be the same or even remotely close to each other merely because both are labled MMO's, then i suppose I really shouldnt give much weight to your opinion anyway.
 
This post was meant in jest right? The gameplay is nowhere near the same, then again if you believe wow and EQ (rok) to be the same or even remotely close to each other merely because both are labled MMO's, then i suppose I really shouldnt give much weight to your opinion anyway.

I didn't say they were the same, I just said most MMOs rely on more complex strategies at higher levels. Kindly don't try reading anything beyond what I said, you won't find anything between the lines. Yes basic gameplay is basically the same. Combat plays out mostly the same. The only big difference is they tweaked the cooldowns and obviously the dialog system. If you've put some time into the real game, not the demo, and want to go in depth and point out what I'm missing please do.
 
You do realize at high levels WoW is one of the most strategic RPGs out there right?

Not really. At high levels WoW is about being geared and having an organized clan. Most encounters have most classes spamming the same 3-5 hotkeys.
 
Not really. At high levels WoW is about being geared and having an organized clan. Most encounters have most classes spamming the same 3-5 hotkeys.

I used the term strategy as having the right set up is part of a good strategy. Obviously its not highly tactical, but everyone needs to do their own thing and if people mess up it can kill the entire group. Of course that really only applies to raids and raid bosses. Normal questing, yeah not much thought required.
 
As far as the DX11 issue is concerned, I can't see any difference between Very High and High. On High, I'm extremely happy with how DA2 looks and plays.

By the way, max out the Anisitropic Filtering. In Kirkwall, set it to 0 and take a look at the roads - they're super blurry. Now max it out - it clears it up substantially.
 
I didn't say they were the same, I just said most MMOs rely on more complex strategies at higher levels. Kindly don't try reading anything beyond what I said, you won't find anything between the lines. Yes basic gameplay is basically the same. Combat plays out mostly the same. The only big difference is they tweaked the cooldowns and obviously the dialog system. If you've put some time into the real game, not the demo, and want to go in depth and point out what I'm missing please do.

Virtua fighter and Street fighter have the same "basic" gameplay but they dont play the same. D&D 4th edition and pathfinder have the same basic gameplay dont play the game. Arcania and Gothic 2 have the same basic gameplay.

The Difference between DA:O and DA2 are differences that matter.
 
Virtua fighter and Street fighter have the same "basic" gameplay but they dont play the same. D&D 4th edition and pathfinder have the same basic gameplay dont play the game. Arcania and Gothic 2 have the same basic gameplay.

The Difference between DA:O and DA2 are differences that matter.

In other words you want to dance around the argument. Alight then. We're done here.
 
Someone needs to tell Bioware that having enemy rogues insta stealthing every 10 seconds then insta killing my rogue and mages is not a good thing. I can live with big hits but not killing them in one blow with no chance to stop it.

I might need to invest in some party damage reduction talents if this keeps up.
 
Not really. At high levels WoW is about being geared and having an organized clan. Most encounters have most classes spamming the same 3-5 hotkeys.

If this was true than every guild would be able to kill 25 man Arthas in hard mode.
 
Not really. At high levels WoW is about being geared and having an organized clan. Most encounters have most classes spamming the same 3-5 hotkeys.

I disagree. You can get through with just spamming, but timing of each button is key and the order of each button.

The most important is probably situational awareness.
 
Anyone else getting this echo when people talk? Is that intended?
 
Someone needs to tell Bioware that having enemy rogues insta stealthing every 10 seconds then insta killing my rogue and mages is not a good thing. I can live with big hits but not killing them in one blow with no chance to stop it.

I might need to invest in some party damage reduction talents if this keeps up.

Exactly how do you uncloak a rogue who is in stealth mode? Dispel? How long is the cool down on that? Whenever I hear about an A.I. acting like this I think it's damned exciting, until I have to play through it myself, whereupon I usually want to smash my fist through my monitor.

Wait a minute, why aren't you just hitting the win button?
 
If this was true than every guild would be able to kill 25 man Arthas in hard mode.

Did you ignore the prerequisites I indicated of being geared and organized? Not every clan has spent the appropriate amount of time grinding or can consistently field the right class composition.

I disagree. You can get through with just spamming, but timing of each button is key and the order of each button.

The most important is probably situational awareness.

When it comes down to it, I could take just about any gamer who has never played WoW before and teach them to adequately play a class well enough to clear just about any raid in less than an hour. There is practically no prerequisite for skill or intelligence as most classes use less than 25% of their available abilities. Dueling takes skill, PvE takes a willingness to waste most of your free time on something that is addictive but not fun. The only time PvE takes any skill is shortly after new content drops when nobody knows the encounters and strategies need to be devised. This period ends quickly as the strategies go public because even a monkey could follow them.
 
Did you ignore the prerequisites I indicated of being geared and organized? Not every clan has spent the appropriate amount of time grinding or can consistently field the right class composition..

No, I understood you. All I'm saying is that there were lots of guilds who were geared and raid regularly but still came no where close to killing 25 man Lich King on hard mode. And that's because that fight is insanely difficult. The amount of skill and situational awareness is very high. Imagine the skill level and organization needed to be the first guild on your server to complete it.

And I'm talking about before they nerfed ICC, i.e. before they implemented the raid wide ICC buff.
 
Exactly how do you uncloak a rogue who is in stealth mode? Dispel? How long is the cool down on that? Whenever I hear about an A.I. acting like this I think it's damned exciting, until I have to play through it myself, whereupon I usually want to smash my fist through my monitor.

Wait a minute, why aren't you just hitting the win button?

AOE attacks will hit stealthed enemies.
 
AOE attacks will hit stealthed enemies.

Short of nightmare its pretty handy to fight inside a tempest or firestorm AoE. You know what really sucks though? Fighting an assassin and a leader at the same time with waves of archer fodder rolling in constantly.

Now you gotta watch the leader to make sure he doesn't start AoE healing and bring down the wrath of god on the assassin at the same time. They both can pop potions when they're getting low too. Gotta separate the assassin from the leader but OH NO he cloaks and runs! Okay okay, I got this. Stun lock the Assassin and get that rogue behind him. Damn. The leader just stunned the tank and the archer fodder is targeting the mage(s).

Shit! Gotta send the rogue to go burn down the archers real quick, the mage(s) will live. Whoops nevermind she just got backstabbed. Dammit, alright I'll just have the mage(s) drop some AoE on the fodder. Nope, assassin is now knockdown spamming the mage(s). How's that tank doing? Ohh the leader regen'd his health while we were dicking around with that assassin...

And thats just hard mode without friendly fire. Can't imagine Nightmare. I got past the fight after another try by corralling the enemies tight and dropping a persistent AoE(Firestorm or Tempest) on em and having the rogue handle the archers while the tank pulled double duty with the leader and the assassin. Stagger -> Chain Lightning hits like a nuke.
 
I seriously don't know why all the complaints, I think the game is great. With DX11 and the highres texture pack, the graphics are killer.

And the story and cutscenes are well done. I'm having a blast.
 
Those of you who think the game is too easy, etc. etc., wait until you fight the Ancient Rock Wraith, then tell me about how easy it is.

Anyway, I'm developing strategies at this point for the use of the cross-class combos and I am finding that, when they are possible to execute, they are retardedly overpowered. My 2h warrior staggers targets left and right just from normal attacks, then I hit them all with a +600% damage chain lightning for 2500 a pop. Explosive strike on Isabela does even more to a single target when fully charged up. Sadly I find the CCCs based on brittle and disoriented opponents far more difficult to pull off and less useful. There aren't as many abilities that cause either one and those that do are on long cooldowns and typically only give a chance to do it. Upgraded Petrify is OK for brittling big single targets, but even then it's just not particularly viable because not as many abilities take advantage of it and they don't get as ridiculous of damage bonuses.

It all becomes moot against the really big bosses because I've been finding that they can't be Staggered, Disoriented or Brittled. Perhaps I just got unlucky or wasn't paying close enough attention, but these are the only enemies where I really need super powerful attacks. It would have been lovely against that cocksucking Rock Wraith.
 
Those of you who think the game is too easy, etc. etc., wait until you fight the Ancient Rock Wraith, then tell me about how easy it is.

Anyway, I'm developing strategies at this point for the use of the cross-class combos and I am finding that, when they are possible to execute, they are retardedly overpowered. My 2h warrior staggers targets left and right just from normal attacks, then I hit them all with a +600% damage chain lightning for 2500 a pop. Explosive strike on Isabela does even more to a single target when fully charged up. Sadly I find the CCCs based on brittle and disoriented opponents far more difficult to pull off and less useful. There aren't as many abilities that cause either one and those that do are on long cooldowns and typically only give a chance to do it. Upgraded Petrify is OK for brittling big single targets, but even then it's just not particularly viable because not as many abilities take advantage of it and they don't get as ridiculous of damage bonuses.

It all becomes moot against the really big bosses because I've been finding that they can't be Staggered, Disoriented or Brittled. Perhaps I just got unlucky or wasn't paying close enough attention, but these are the only enemies where I really need super powerful attacks. It would have been lovely against that cocksucking Rock Wraith.

Trick to the Rock Wraith: Hide behind the pillars. When his attack is done have a melee character like a rogue deal with the smaller enemies and have everyone else attack the Wraith. He kept doing that massive attack over and over again for me so I had no problems once he started doing it. Before that it was kind of a pain.
 
Trick to the Rock Wraith: Hide behind the pillars. When his attack is done have a melee character like a rogue deal with the smaller enemies and have everyone else attack the Wraith. He kept doing that massive attack over and over again for me so I had no problems once he started doing it. Before that it was kind of a pain.

Yeah, I was hiding behind the pillars with hold position, the bigger problem was that he was doing about 1/3 of my tank's health per hit and he has about ten million billiion health. The adds also caused me significant trouble mostly because of the fact that, along with every other enemy in the game, they magnetize toward my caster and Varric. Since they have no Fortitude because they have no strength, they get knocked back by every single shitting attack and they basically just get stun locked, and it's not the type of fight where you have the leisure to pick them off if you ever want to kill the boss. I finally broke down and dropped the difficulty back off nightmare because it was just pissing me off.

The difficulty curve wavers all over the place. Most of the fights are a Sunday stroll down easy street but on rare occasion they pull out a whopper like that Wraith or the two dragon fights I've done so far.
 
Yeah, I was hiding behind the pillars with hold position, the bigger problem was that he was doing about 1/3 of my tank's health per hit and he has about ten million billiion health. The adds also caused me significant trouble mostly because of the fact that, along with every other enemy in the game, they magnetize toward my caster and Varric. Since they have no Fortitude because they have no strength, they get knocked back by every single shitting attack and they basically just get stun locked, and it's not the type of fight where you have the leisure to pick them off if you ever want to kill the boss. I finally broke down and dropped the difficulty back off nightmare because it was just pissing me off.

The difficulty curve wavers all over the place. Most of the fights are a Sunday stroll down easy street but on rare occasion they pull out a whopper like that Wraith or the two dragon fights I've done so far.

Oh fuck the the dragons in this game. The dragon you meet before the Rock Wraith. Ugh. I'm playing a normal and its fun and easy and then BAM its like the game decided to rocket itself to hard without telling me.
 
The rock guy was cake. Im on casual though :) I find this game too simplified... I like RPGs for the story and this story is too political. I like fighting for the good, not picking sides like I am in DA2. I need more fan service too. Mackin' the ladies at camp was interesting in between quests in DAO. DAO was 90/100 and DA2 is an 82/100.
 
Last edited:
The rock guy was cake. Im on casual though :) I find this game too simplified... I like RPGs for the story and this story is too political. I like fighting for the good, not picking sides like I am in DA2. I need more fan service too. Mackin' the ladies at camp was interesting in between quests in DAO.

I hate fan service so I'm glad its not there in DA2. You can form relationships with characters still, but it seems like they take years to develop fully.

I like a good political story. I find it far more interesting than cliche high or low fantasy crap. DAO's main story was not that good, the side stories and the stuff with the characters was fun but the main plot was like a ton of fantasy cliches tossed at a wall. DA2 is a break from Bioware's usual story telling. It feels like some of the choices I'm making will have a real impact down the road and that my Hawke is shaping the future of the city with her actions. Digging into political matters and getting down to the actual workings of the city and its people is great to me. Its one of the reasons I enjoy the Eragon books, the first is boring fantasy crap, but the other two offer some impressive depth into the world and into how it works and how the people live. That level of detail is utterly fascinating to me.
 
Oh baby! Now we've got some nice discussion happening here - this is more like it!
 
Oh fuck the the dragons in this game. The dragon you meet before the Rock Wraith. Ugh. I'm playing a normal and its fun and easy and then BAM its like the game decided to rocket itself to hard without telling me.

This happened in the original from time to time, you'd get fights where basically you were chugging potion after potion, even on normal difficulty, you'd come across fights that were several orders of magnitude harder than what you'd just been fighting, luckily that wasn't too frequently in DAO

This happened in the DA2 demo for me, I basically gave up when I came across the first boss type enemy (it's the 2nd or 3rd appearance of those large beasts with the charge attack), plus you have about 10 ads. Every time I failed without even taking him down more than 10% on several tries, there was no obvious mechanics to beat him, all my party members just got pummled.

Unreasonably difficult for just a few minutes into the game when set to "normal", clearly a design flaw in the original game they could not fix, I'm not going to sit there replaying the same fight 20 times to try and beat something that hard, what a waste of time.
 
This happened in the original from time to time, you'd get fights where basically you were chugging potion after potion, even on normal difficulty, you'd come across fights that were several orders of magnitude harder than what you'd just been fighting, luckily that wasn't too frequently in DAO

This happened in the DA2 demo for me, I basically gave up when I came across the first boss type enemy (it's the 2nd or 3rd appearance of those large beasts with the charge attack), plus you have about 10 ads. Every time I failed without even taking him down more than 10% on several tries, there was no obvious mechanics to beat him, all my party members just got pummled.

Unreasonably difficult for just a few minutes into the game when set to "normal", clearly a design flaw in the original game they could not fix, I'm not going to sit there replaying the same fight 20 times to try and beat something that hard, what a waste of time.

Bioware falls into my group of publishers that have no clue how to deal with difficulty and instead their games fall into the realm of frustratingly unfair versus naturally difficult.

Second and third times I played the demo I didn't lose anyone at all. You have to watch carefully and be very careful. A lot of micromanagement.
 
This happened in the original from time to time, you'd get fights where basically you were chugging potion after potion, even on normal difficulty, you'd come across fights that were several orders of magnitude harder than what you'd just been fighting, luckily that wasn't too frequently in DAO

This happened in the DA2 demo for me, I basically gave up when I came across the first boss type enemy (it's the 2nd or 3rd appearance of those large beasts with the charge attack), plus you have about 10 ads. Every time I failed without even taking him down more than 10% on several tries, there was no obvious mechanics to beat him, all my party members just got pummled.

Unreasonably difficult for just a few minutes into the game when set to "normal", clearly a design flaw in the original game they could not fix, I'm not going to sit there replaying the same fight 20 times to try and beat something that hard, what a waste of time.

I found the Ogre to be most easily defeated with a Rogue and using Backstab when it went for a big attack.
 
Yeah I had a mage, basically get punched once and you fly back and before your character can get up you're punched again and dead. The tanks died pretty fast with so many ads all wailing on them, honestly I just couldn't be bothered to keep trying 3 attempts at about 10 total damage done was enough to know that it was going to be at least 20 attempts to beat and just gave up.

That's not what games are about to me, especially RPGs, it's all about the immersion and that is violently shattered when you're going through "you died" and then loading screens every 2 minutes on a loop.
 
So like I thought max level was 20, and Now im 20 and with EXP going into 21.

Loving this game so far.....I really wish i made different decisions in the game, but hey now I plan to make a Beastly 2h Warrior.

Loving the Dragon fights....Killed 3 of the bastards so far.

But yea It's nice seeing King Allistar again (and no its not a spolier)

Back to DA2
 
I am enjoying the game. There are a few gripes I have - like not being able to edit the graphics options in more detail. I wish I had not accidentally chosen to venture forth after rescuing a certain individual from a certain coast cause there was tons of loot lying around.

I remember reading during the demo that the characters would pronounce your name for whatever you chose, or try to at least. My name is "Alex Hawke" but everyone seems to call my character "Sir Awe." Pronounced just how it sounds. I am assuming this isnt normal is it?

Also - do you ever leave the city of Kirkwall? Granted I am only about 8 hours into it.
 
I am enjoying the game. There are a few gripes I have - like not being able to edit the graphics options in more detail. I wish I had not accidentally chosen to venture forth after rescuing a certain individual from a certain coast cause there was tons of loot lying around.

I remember reading during the demo that the characters would pronounce your name for whatever you chose, or try to at least. My name is "Alex Hawke" but everyone seems to call my character "Sir Awe." Pronounced just how it sounds. I am assuming this isnt normal is it?

Also - do you ever leave the city of Kirkwall? Granted I am only about 8 hours into it.

They are calling you 'sirrah' (spelling?) which everyone uses in conversation. It seems to be a gender neutral version of sir/madam.

You leave Kirkwall.
 
I remember reading during the demo that the characters would pronounce your name for whatever you chose, or try to at least. My name is "Alex Hawke" but everyone seems to call my character "Sir Awe." Pronounced just how it sounds. I am assuming this isnt normal is it?

Haha, I think we are still a loooong way from having text-to-speech good enough to fit in with normal pre-recorded voice acting and all the actors' different voices. I'm surprised you thought it was possible
 
Back
Top