• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dragon Age II

If it's elitist to enjoy a game for it's merits and then complain when they remove things that made that game good, then yes I'm "elitist"

Fact is the UI was there from the first game and could have been re-used, the fact is that PC games and Console games sell well enough to make a good profit when they are exclusives for the platform, so taking the time to make interfaces unique to each platform is perfectly acceptable, lets face it they don't give a crap about the PC version this time around and it shines through.

Ironic when you consider they said the first game was optimized for the PC and that it would be the definite version, they might as well have developed the game for the PSP and then ported it to consoles then to PC with this crap they have served us.

PC gamers are becoming victims of their own low expectations and that shit just washes over the rest of us who want nothing more than high quality games for our gaming dollars.

PC gamers will buy anything these days, and it shows with the "quality" (it makes me vomit to even say quality when referencing PC games lately) of PC games recently. True PC games are few and far between, it's sad.

But that's what happens when everyone gets infected with sequelitis and as a market force, gamers settle for stripped down versions of the original games instead of holding their money in their pockets and demanding higher quality games.

See where the lack of standards gets you?
 
Alex, have you played the game? With the Hi res texture pack the game does not look bad at all.

I have played the game on a friend's rig, with all the texture packs and what not.

Looked better than demo, but still bad.
 
I have played the game on a friend's rig, with all the texture packs and what not.

Looked better than demo, but still bad.

Dunno what you are smoking. High res pack with max 8xAA/16xAF and everything to max looks great to me?
 
There are so many valid complaints about this game, but it's hardly so ugly you can't play it. If I had to rank all my complaints, graphics would bring up the rear.

large_Screenshot20110313224543433.jpg
(full)
 
There are so many valid complaints about this game, but it's hardly so ugly you can't play it. If I had to rank all my complaints, graphics would bring up the rear.

large_Screenshot20110313224543433.jpg
(full)

I wasn't even going to bring it up, but since you posted that image.....even the blood spattering is the same on the characters. The same blood spatter shapes in the same spots. I laughed the first time I saw it in game. Was a bit of a distraction.
 
DA2 has its share of problems (some of which only become obvious late in the game), but I think its really telling that despite it being rushed and despite EA or Bioware really wanting console gamers to get into the game its still fun and the writing and characters are still Bioware quality. I even think the writing and pacing for the relationships are done better in DA2 than other Bioware games.

You can really see the corners they cut and the compromises that had to be made in order to get this game out within 18 months of the original. Its disappointing and it is the worst Bioware game I've played (their Sonic RPG is the only one I haven't), but even at that point I've played much worse games and much worse RPGs just in the last few years.
 
Hating on a perfectly good game isn't going to save PC gaming. Sorry but the user reviews with regards to Dragon Age II are ridiculous. I see dozens of zeros for a game that's about equal to the original. It has better graphics and story - and SLIGHTLY inferior battle and customizations.
 
Hating on a perfectly good game isn't going to save PC gaming. Sorry but the user reviews with regards to Dragon Age II are ridiculous. I see dozens of zeros for a game that's about equal to the original. It has better graphics and story - and SLIGHTLY inferior battle and customizations.

Agreed, people are being wayyy overly harsh. If it was by any other dev, it would be praised to the skies right now (or at least the mid skies)
 
So I'm about 10.5-hours in and

Spoilers...


I am about to enter the deep roads.


Is the story going to pick up soon? Right now there really doesn't seem to be a story. I know why we are in this city, but other than that nothing. I keep telling myself it will pick up, but so far I'm just being forced to run errands around the map and I'm not really sure what I'm preparing for. In fact once I had the money to do the above they wouldn't even let me continue until I finish all of the other errands. Any advice here? Is there going to be a major threat approaching or anything on the level of DA:O? I'm not hating on the game here -- it's beautiful, runs great in eyefinity, and I really don't mind the new combat at all, but the story seems really lacking. I have not skipped a single cut scene either.
 
So I'm about 10.5-hours in and

Spoilers...


I am about to enter the deep roads.


Is the story going to pick up soon? Right now there really doesn't seem to be a story. I know why we are in this city, but other than that nothing. I keep telling myself it will pick up, but so far I'm just being forced to run errands around the map and I'm not really sure what I'm preparing for. In fact once I had the money to do the above they wouldn't even let me continue until I finish all of the other errands. Any advice here? Is there going to be a major threat approaching or anything on the level of DA:O? I'm not hating on the game here -- it's beautiful, runs great in eyefinity, and I really don't mind the new combat at all, but the story seems to be really lacking. I have not skipped a single cut scene either.

Spoiler!

Get ready for more of the same!
 
Finished my first playthrough yesterday evening on a warrior. Just right at 37 hours. I somehow managed to skip alot of the side and companion quests.

I love the game and could give a rats ass if anyone else likes it or wants to bash on it.

Is it as good as DAO was ? no, not quite. Is it somewhat dumbed down ? yes, in my opinion. I had and am having a lot of fun with it, on a Mage this time. DA2 is not as deep as DAO was, shame on Bioware.I liked the story, I read every bit of lore the game offers. I did not like that they just cut and pasted the same design for dungeons, warehouses, the deep roads etc. That to me says that they were either lazy, rushed by EA to get the game out or both. Shame on you Bioware and EA.

When I finished I was left going wtf? that's it ? I want more.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate it somewhere between 7 and 8. If Direct X 11 worked right, if it was longer and deeper and if they hadn't of cut and pasted all the same damn areas over and over it could have earned a 10.

In my opinion it's a good game. It could have been a great game.....
 
Don't blame EA for this, there are legitimate reasons to
Blame them, but this isn't one.
 
I can't believe how linear and repetitive everything's been so far, no exploration. No real choices and branching storylines. Invisible barriers everywhere. Oh, and the fights, just wave, wave, miniboss, wave, wave, boss.
 
I can't believe how linear and repetitive everything's been so far, no exploration. No real choices and branching storylines. Invisible barriers everywhere. Oh, and the fights, just wave, wave, miniboss, wave, wave, boss.

Still playing a game you hate and pirated? Interesting.
 
I play so much shit... I like to know what I'm talking about, and playing this game, at this point, it's to see how far the rabbit hole goes.
 
I play so much shit... I like to know what I'm talking about, and playing this game, at this point, it's to see how far the rabbit hole goes.

It's people like you that Kill PC gaming.
 
Still playing a game you hate and pirated? Interesting.

Its his validation, if he never truly likes anything then it isnt stealing to him. Not to mention its easy to hate a game you dont pay for.
 
Dumb question: but is there a way to respec? Went dual wield rogue and might actually prefer archery...(anyone have feedback on which is "better"?)
 
Dumb question: but is there a way to respec? Went dual wield rogue and might actually prefer archery...(anyone have feedback on which is "better"?)

Yes, there are respec potions (1g+some) available, but only, as far as I know, at the Black Emporium. I just used one to get the three points I spent on dual wield back. Feels like cheating, but boy am I glad I did it :-p

EDIT: I swear, if there's a forced death sequence involving that person with the drama about going into the Deep Roads....
 
Last edited:
So?

That division of EA gets the blame, dont blame EA in general.

People blamed Microsoft for Vista; they didn't blame that org. What do you expect?

Besides, I imagine that the management of EA from the top down encourages date driven development as opposed to completion driven development. Bioware BEFORE was very much completion driven - it's done when it's done. They now seem to work on "it's done by this date" which means...things can feel rushed.
 
Is there a way to get out of having to pay 50 gold to become a member of The Deep Roads Expedition?

I'm guessing that if there is then there's also some kind of a sacrifice involved? I found a shop that was selling a potion for about 25 gold that would allow me to select a new ability from the skill tree. That is a mighty tempting offer - but then it would make it impossible to become a member of The Deep Roads expedition. I spent the entire weekend playing DA 2, and it took me two days to save up 45 gold. I'm still not there yet.
 
Is there a way to get out of having to pay 50 gold to become a member of The Deep Roads Expedition?

I'm guessing that if there is then there's also some kind of a sacrifice involved? I found a shop that was selling a potion for about 25 gold that would allow me to select a new ability from the skill tree. That is a mighty tempting offer - but then it would make it impossible to become a member of The Deep Roads expedition. I spent the entire weekend playing DA 2, and it took me two days to save up 45 gold. I'm still not there yet.

I saved up pretty easily. Even spend gold here and there. There is a guy, forget his name that is willing to give you money, but you will owe him after the expedition. I have no idea what the amount of gold you owe him is though.

It's one of the quests... friends in low places I think. Are you checking your "messages" at Gamlin's house?
 
I am somewhere in act 2 now and I want dragon age 3 to include a scene that burns Kirkwall to the ground.
 
Consumers are also to blame for buying the game.

You know for someone that does a lot of preaching about not buying games, you're not doing anything to promote your beliefs. All you're doing is bitching on this forum.

If you really wanted to do something you should take action. Take to the streets, rally consumers against evil developers who only care about money and want to churn out games one after the other with no development time.
 
*in as friendly tone as possible*
Hey Fail, I have no arguments against you (I'm in the 'wait until later' camp here and I'm not pleased how EA has handled everything) but you really do sound like you have a bitter axe to grind. It wouldn't hurt to calm it down a notch.
 
Consumers are also to blame for buying the game.

Yep, the fact is that there is a lot of consumers who just rush out to stand in line for the latest call of duty, halo or anything with a nice theatrical trailer and a 100 million dollar advertising budget.

While a development studio and publishing house might gay up a game in order to sell more copies at least thats understadable to some degree, they want more money and the casual audience is bigger than anything else. But the consumers have no real excuse they just lap up medicore titles one after another and seem to love it, if anything these people are more to blame for the slump in game quality right now.
 
Consumers are also to blame for buying the game.

Even with it's faults, I enjoy the game. So I don't accept any blame here. The rush job is due to EA trying to bury other companies' releases in a barrage of their own. You might as well blame everyone who buys a game from a major publisher, since that's getting to be the status quo.
 
I am just a proponent of good games that are released in as polished a form as possible, that are devoid of Day 1 DLC and that do not strip down features from previous versions of said game/franchise and that do not tinge the PC version with the blight of consolitis.

But I stand behind what I said about consumers also shouldering some of the responsibility for allowing the garbage that makes it to Steam, and the shelves of stores across the world for us to purchase.

We make it possible for companies to continue to dumb down games, remove features we like from games, infringe on our consumer rights by banning access to a SINGLE PLAYER game you purchased because of something you post on a forum, and to peddle us Day 1 DLC by opening our wallets and buying the shovelware Day 1 without taking a moment to see if the game is worth it before buying it.

The consumer alone makes this possible by shelling out more dollars $60 (vs $50 in the past) for less content (Bioshock 2 = 6 hours tops? MW2 = COD4 with all good features stripped out? Dragon Age 2 = Dragon Age 1 limited to ONE setting, Kirkwall instead of the epic journey of the first game?)

Don't get me wrong, I wanted Dragon Age 2 to succeed, but it simply does not. When you dumb down things, when you strip out the things that a RPG make, when your story is bad, when you have too much repetition in the game's setting, it does not make you feel immersed in the game. A RPG is all about a story, and exploration, both of those make good RPG's possible. When you limit the setting and recycle the setting over and over, you lose the sense of wonder provided by exploration. When you have a bad story, you aren't provided much incentive to keep playing short of some weird desire to complete it anyway.

Again, I would have loved it if DA 2 was a good game, I woulda bought it. I didn't buy Awakening either because it turned out not to be worth the $40 they wanted at release for it, it didn't provide enough hours for my gaming dollar. I also read that the difficulty of it was too easy, and that turned me off.

Just a few examples there. I find myself spending less and less on games these days because they are simply not as good as the games from a few years ago, they simply do not deliver enough value for your gaming dollar, yet I've watched the phenomenom of gamers just buying a game even if it isn't worth a rental day 1 $60 for no reason at all.

It's almost like people don't mind tossing their money down the toilet.

This is what happens when you have no standards, we get shitty games, and less and less with each AAA release. There's a reason why people play Valve and Blizzard games years after their original release date, because they deliver over and over on the original promise of the game at release.

How many games released these days can say that?
 
There's the Valve and Blizzard thing again. There are other developers who've released games with longevity spanning multiple years. Even decades.
 
There's the Valve and Blizzard thing again. There are other developers who've released games with longevity spanning multiple years. Even decades.

I like people who complain about $60 games and then mention Blizzard. They've had $60 PC games longer than anyone else.
 
Back
Top