Dota 2 Official Thread

Last night I played a two games against Hard bots with my brother (he is not very good).

Got beaten so bad first game, me as PA and him as Naga Siren. Then I was like, screw it I'm taking Drow to own them... we won and I carried. My brother was playing BH and he was having a hard time. The game lasted 60 minutes, I was the only lvl 25 in my team while the bot's team had 3.... !

I've recently become addicted to this game. I've played with a few friends of mine, and it's a lot of fun (for me anyways). I can understand how it makes people rage hard, yet you keep coming back to it. Loss after loss, and I still wouldn't give up. It's a shame people quit before they really start to learn.

My favorite hero so far by far is DAZZLE! I feel like the Hero of the Day whenever I play as him. His heal is so cool and damaging, and his bubble is vital during teamfights to deny them nuking our carry. Somehow I feel so... important as Dazzle, haha :D

Yep. Only 1 question, which ability is his "bubble"? XD

Your point about people quitting is why the game is still in beta. Valve working on a way to get first-timers to commit enough time to "really start to learn".

@Dashboard: Drow OP!1!!!!!11! more seriously, GJ. You will look back on this achievement one day and have a good laugh ;)

Your point about people quitting is why the game is still in beta. Valve working on a way to get first-timers to commit enough time to "really start to learn".

@Dashboard: Drow OP!1!!!!!11! more seriously, GJ. You will look back on this achievement one day and have a good laugh ;)

The full game is supposed to have tutorials to help understand the game.

Drow can be pretty OP if fed and carried well... I had no remorse to use it against bot since noone yells : OP DROW, yah yah yah :D

bubble = shallow grave probably :)

The full game is supposed to have tutorials to help understand the game.

Drow can be pretty OP if fed and carried well... I had no remorse to use it against bot since noone yells : OP DROW, yah yah yah :D

even a not fed drow is retarded at level 6. she is just overall imbalanced right now. phantom lancer is also pretty retarded right now. took a build from this dude who uses boots of travel and tank items to push lanes with just illusions. probably the most impressive gameplay ive seen and the most insanely fucking lopsided

medusa is supposed to counter him but she doesnt really

I made my first purchase for PL, a lance. I guess I'm FOTM but it fits my style and mana isn't a constant concern. And I've put Manta Style on him, heh.

Medusa really isn't very good against PL.

A) She needs almost twice his farm to win in any kind of straight up fight
B) PL always goes diffusal which is super good against medusa
C) Medusa makes no contribution to ganking PL early, which is the real counter to him.

Oh yeah, and she can only hit 6 targets whereas you can have like 12 PLs so... (I do understand her ulti is good vs Illusions but it only lasts so long)

PL is probably too strong in this version, I wouldn't be surprised to see his agi gain scaled back at least SOME in 6.77b or whatever is next.

In other news, I WANT MORE HEROES :(

Medusa really isn't very good against PL.

A) She needs almost twice his farm to win in any kind of straight up fight
B) PL always goes diffusal which is super good against medusa
C) Medusa makes no contribution to ganking PL early, which is the real counter to him.

Oh yeah, and she can only hit 6 targets whereas you can have like 12 PLs so... (I do understand her ulti is good vs Illusions but it only lasts so long)

PL is probably too strong in this version, I wouldn't be surprised to see his agi gain scaled back at least SOME in 6.77b or whatever is next.

In other news, I WANT MORE HEROES :(

theres not too many missing now.

i actually found an amazing counter for PL though, spirit breaker, charge and dust.

are you guys really enjoying dota 2? Im an old school dota head who was hoping this game would be special, but im finding myself playing HoN if I have a dota crave. I used to hate hon, but i really started to appreciate the game after I saw what valve did to dota. I hate the graphics in d2 and everything just seems confusing (last I played). Have they changed it much the past 6 months? Man I really had high hopes for this game.

I like Dota 2 better in almost every way, and I am an old school Dota player also. I think one of the tougher things is that strategies have changed so much since there are so many more people playing it now. The only thing I do not like about Dota 2 is the matchmaking system, actually the entire menu system. I hate not having choice in what games I join. I don't want to be teammatess with agnhaogaeysi, 23457890243, or something with only foreign characters which 90% of the time means they don't understand wtf I'm saying and therefore can't strategize with me.

I like Dota 2 better in almost every way, and I am an old school Dota player also. I think one of the tougher things is that strategies have changed so much since there are so many more people playing it now. The only thing I do not like about Dota 2 is the matchmaking system, actually the entire menu system. I hate not having choice in what games I join. I don't want to be teammatess with agnhaogaeysi, 23457890243, or something with only foreign characters which 90% of the time means they don't understand wtf I'm saying and therefore can't strategize with me.

I really couldnt stand the graphics. I dont know if its just me but everything just looked like shit to me (I was waiting on this game for a long time and wouldve gladly paid for it). I thought Icefrog was going to make this game memorable like the original dota, so maybe I had high expectations. The last time I played D2, I just couldnt believe how much I liked HoN more and thought they couldve got some pointers from HoN (I had been shitting on HoN for years lol so it sucked admitting that)

yea it sucks playing with foreigners and I hope they get that fixed. Hate when foreginers ruin a good game. Ill give D2 another go and see where its at now, but valve just completely butchered dota.

Ill give D2 another go and see where its at now, but valve just completely butchered dota.

What do you mean exactly? Isn't Dota 2 supposed to be a direct port from Dota with updated graphics? I'm guessing you're criticizing the wrong people. IceFrog is still in charge as far as I know.

I think he just got used to HoN's different tactics and likes it better. I love D2's graphics.

HoN can't compare. It wants to keep up with League of Legends in terms of sheer volume of heroes. I can only hope D2 limits rolling out heroes like these two games.

Keep getting keys...

I have 4 more to give away. PM me with e-mail or steam name if you want one.

Edit : 2 keys

Last edited:
Keep getting keys...

I have 4 more to give away. PM me with e-mail or steam name if you want one.

Edit : 3 keys

Sent ya a PM Yakk if you still have one, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I really wouldn't recommend taking a key from a random [H] member and attempt learning on your own. Learning this game is fucking brutal, and you will make tons of subtle mistakes. Those subtle mistakes result in a huge death spiral, and then you will absolutely get insulted the for 40 minutes by a teammate.
Seriously, the worst people in the world play this game. I worry about playing DOTA just because that means I will be associated with other DOTA players. I'll tell someone I play and they'll be like "Oh, you're one of those people." This game makes me question the future of humanity.

You need at least one patient friend with you to teach you the ropes, tell you when you're being too aggressive, report douchebags, and generally provide moral support.

...I'm not even 30 and sound like an ornery old man. :/

Don't start with other players, start with bots.

Use a private lobby.

Yeah, that's totally recommended, but let's face it, you're not going to be anywhere good until you have several hundred hours played. And you're not going to spend hundreds of hours fighting bots.

If Joe is playing and not eager to play the next hero, and the next, and with so many of them it could be several hundred hours... then, yeah, he might be cannon fodder.

But competent will come before good. Even a novice or chump standing next to a tower makes it much harder to take.

And there's matchmaking.

I hear you guys, and ya this game is really hard. So far only playing with bots. I played on easy and died like 12 times and didn't get a single kill other than the fodder.

Now to get a key for my friend so that we can suffer together. lol

Very true.

Every key I give out I suggest people watch tutorial videos, then play many, many bot games before ever trying a MP game. Some MOBA players and communities can be quite over the top and just angry... Hehe, even angry when they won cause "they could have won better and faster if only...[insert random argument]"

Everyone has to start somewhere.

It doesn't seem unusually rude for online gaming. I do think the stakes are perhaps too high for new players, with no tutorial, long games that need commitment (unlike TF2), harsh penalties for dying and limited rewards for healing/warding/TPing to defend.

Watch the TotalBiscuit single draft videos, though he only buys recommended items and that's not the best idea. He can play, but not like a pro, and will comment on his mistakes if he sees them.

And ask questions here.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't recommend taking a key from a random [H] member and attempt learning on your own. Learning this game is fucking brutal, and you will make tons of subtle mistakes. Those subtle mistakes result in a huge death spiral, and then you will absolutely get insulted the for 40 minutes by a teammate.
Seriously, the worst people in the world play this game. I worry about playing DOTA just because that means I will be associated with other DOTA players. I'll tell someone I play and they'll be like "Oh, you're one of those people." This game makes me question the future of humanity.

You need at least one patient friend with you to teach you the ropes, tell you when you're being too aggressive, report douchebags, and generally provide moral support.

...I'm not even 30 and sound like an ornery old man. :/

I think you're exagerating a little bit. I started playing alone at the beginning of December. My first game was online since I didn't know how to do bots game. I picked Omniknight since he was looking like a Paladin and I always go for the paladin type in RPG :p

I went top and ran to the first hero I saw and attacked him, I got owned and then called a retard/moron, etc. I knew I made a mistake. Then followed my lane partner, asked for advice in chat and my teamates were pretty teaching. We still won. After that I did bots games and learned the game.

I got a key for my brother and I'm now coaching him with mic. Tell him when to back, when to attack. His learning is probably easier than mine was but still... I never cared about l337 players telling me I sucked or anything and still don't because I,m not a pro... just a casual that plays for fun :)

I think you're exagerating a little bit. I started playing alone at the beginning of December. My first game was online since I didn't know how to do bots game. I picked Omniknight since he was looking like a Paladin and I always go for the paladin type in RPG :p

I went top and ran to the first hero I saw and attacked him, I got owned and then called a retard/moron, etc. I knew I made a mistake. Then followed my lane partner, asked for advice in chat and my teamates were pretty teaching. We still won. After that I did bots games and learned the game.

I got a key for my brother and I'm now coaching him with mic. Tell him when to back, when to attack. His learning is probably easier than mine was but still... I never cared about l337 players telling me I sucked or anything and still don't because I,m not a pro... just a casual that plays for fun :)

I'm not exaggerating at all. There are "established" builds for all the characters, and, when you're new or experimenting (or god forbid, both) and you deviate/die, teammates will blame nonstop. It's human nature - when the team is losing, your teammates will blame you and not themselves (and vice versa!)
The death spiral in this game is extremely harsh. Dying once or twice gives an enormous advantage to your opponents, which then results in more deaths... then your teammates are bitching you don't have BKB yet, when you haven't had more than 700 gold all game.

I actually was a professional gamer for 3 years (Guild Wars), and the community is infinitely worse than anything there.

Don't just pick by looks, pore through dota2wiki descriptions.

Omni looks like a paladin but plays like a priest and hits like a wet noodle. Keeper of the Light looks like a low-damage mage-priest, but his main spell causes a massive wave of damage on low cooldown, while still being a support.

Omni ... hits like a wet noodle

Bitch please. You ain't seen my Radiance/SnY/Orb of Venom Omni, clearly. #yoloswag420.

More seriously, starting out is rough but mostly the game requires just sticking to it. Sure, your first games aren't the best but you quickly get matched up with other players who are learning as well. Just mute/ignore anybody who starts bad-mouthing you. (On the scoreboard there is a little volume-looking icon next to your allies names. If you click it, it turns red and that means you won't hear them or see their chat.)

I'm not exaggerating at all. There are "established" builds for all the characters, and, when you're new or experimenting (or god forbid, both) and you deviate/die, teammates will blame nonstop. It's human nature - when the team is losing, your teammates will blame you and not themselves (and vice versa!)
The death spiral in this game is extremely harsh. Dying once or twice gives an enormous advantage to your opponents, which then results in more deaths... then your teammates are bitching you don't have BKB yet, when you haven't had more than 700 gold all game.

I actually was a professional gamer for 3 years (Guild Wars), and the community is infinitely worse than anything there.

I totally agree that the vast majority of the community is harsh but I never really cared about crying teamates. Instead I would reply : Instead of crying, tell me what to do to improve!

I usually get infos from the rest of the group while having 1 cry-baby and everyone tell him to shut up :p

Maybe I got lucky with nice people but it doesn't seem like the majority are retards.

In case you guys haven't heard, Dotabuff is gonna release their own "player ranking" called "DBR". Essentially it is a 3rd party version of ELO / MMR, which they claim corresponds closely to valve's hidden MMR.

Coming out friday...

https://dotabuff.com/pages/dbr

I've got thirteen passes clogging up my steam inventory doodad if anyone still wants them. Sick of them sitting there occupying space. Steam details and whatnot in a PM, obviously.

I have a few invites, I think 4 or 6. Let me know. My friends are too chicken to play this game.

Is it just me or is Enchantress clunky? She would be in Impetus range and sometimes run toward the enemy and the heal seems weak and slow to cast. And I'm not a huge fan of WD's heal, either.

But against jungle creeps, with the atk slow they're like docile cows ready for slaughter.

google.com., search example: juggernaut build guide

the reason people hate noobs is because they run in expecting to own, and die about ten times to the hands of the same player thus making that player rich (feeding).
they have tutorials and human vs bot games so you can learn the ropes.

i honestly rarely find rude people in dota 2, one of the better communities if you ask me.

agreed on the dota 2 community, seems much better than LoL or HoN thus far...

although last night I had paused the game and said "sec, my daughter just threw up" which she did of course, but they wouldn't let it stay paused - even had two people I was playing with that explained stuff further in chat and they still kept unpausing the game :mad: I was only gone for 2-3 minutes helping my wife clean up before I came back to me afk in the well and all my money poofed away right as I sat down

then the two people on OUR team that were apparently unpausing decided to leave because I "left"

sigh, was a fun 3v5 at least - held them off for quite a while lol

Did you micro one of their characters after they left?

What's the verdict on Medusa?

Are there any updated competitive tiers?

Back