Dota 2 Official Thread

I just don't see enough upside to use Meepo, especially since if one wants a fancy dance, Phantom Lancer has micro-heavy snowballing and can slam enemies, but his illusions don't make the actual hero more vulnerable, they're cannon fodder.

I have seen Meepo roll people, so of course it can happen.

I tried Earthshaker again and it was night and day, this time I figured out how he was supposed to be used and piled up assists. I got support items and mana at the start, but picked up Desolator so the totem started hitting very hard.

Edit: And it's fun to block off the enemy team at a choke point, especially near the river, or trap someone for certain death. Unfortunately there's no gold reward from saving someone at 10% health, heh. And it hits harder than ice path, of course.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there's no gold reward from saving someone at 10% health, heh.

The reward is denying your enemy a kill.

I'll admit, I haven't played DOTA 2 yet. How does it compare to the original? I'm thinking this is a game I should start playing, as I enjoyed the original (granted, it was fun with friends/clan, not as much fun solo), and I've been rather bored lately.

I just don't see enough upside to use Meepo, especially since if one wants a fancy dance, Phantom Lancer has micro-heavy snowballing and can slam enemies, but his illusions don't make the actual hero more vulnerable, they're cannon fodder.

I have seen Meepo roll people, so of course it can happen.

I tried Earthshaker again and it was night and day, this time I figured out how he was supposed to be used and piled up assists. I got support items and mana at the start, but picked up Desolator so the totem started hitting very hard.

Edit: And it's fun to block off the enemy team at a choke point, especially near the river, or trap someone for certain death. Unfortunately there's no gold reward from saving someone at 10% health, heh. And it hits harder than ice path, of course.

earthshaker is amazing. rush some extra mana or blink dagger for retarded initiating ability. personally though I like sandking better

I'll admit, I haven't played DOTA 2 yet. How does it compare to the original? I'm thinking this is a game I should start playing, as I enjoyed the original (granted, it was fun with friends/clan, not as much fun solo), and I've been rather bored lately.

icefrog is the one behind it, idk when you played dota but pretty much he is the one that made the game famous. which means dota 2 is very close to dota 1. some people say the pace is a bit different. and the visuals take time to adjust. personally I never have trouble seeing whats going on in team battles. hon is much worse in that regard

I just don't see enough upside to use Meepo, especially since if one wants a fancy dance,

When playing as Meepo get treads then go straight to aura stacking, throw scepter in there somewhere. If you are good at macro-casting then he is impossible to use. I had an unstoppable technique down with him in the original Dota, but I don't have a hang of the keys for Dota 2 yet. For the original just cast net - press tab - cast net -repeat and you can endlessly keep you enemy in place while your other 3-4 clones romp them. Use vlads and mek to keep everyone healthy.

Right, and heroes can be Denied or deliberately die to neutrals.

I'm not even sure, say, Wisp or Dazzle should be cashing in each time they keep a carry from dying pretty directly.

And obviously a Kill is a killing blow, even if it's Furion in a with a TP or Riki sits in stealth and they come in for that last 5% of health. But I think the stats are solid.

anybody played the greeviling yet?

http://www.dota2.com/greeviling/

the last event gave lots of items out. unfortunately i didnt have time to play enough to get a cool greevil.

if anybody has played this mode let me know how it is and how it works!

Okay, started playing this yesterday. 3 games in, I have a 1-2 record. I'll get used to the animations and recipes soon enough. Looks like I found something new to do in my spare time.

Tinker might be good for newer players, as strange as it sounds. The rockets are hero-seeking, and you can use March of the Machines and laser to be aggressive or retreat. Protect an ally as well.

That's usually more protection than a tank or healer hero gets, and he's ranged. If they can get to you through the AOE dmg, kill you, and still survive... you were meat, anyway.

Edit: There are other, better heroes for new players now that I think of it. Shadow Demon and Keeper of the Light to support. If you joined a game you can probably harass or even kill your opponents and weaken or mow down creeps, without even getting close.

Last edited:
Played 2 games of Greeviling. not so bad but random is random

now i need to get a new key for my brother to come play with me, I convinced him to give it a shot!

Need to keep our community growing. I have found when groups with multiple (heck even just one other person) people increases the enjoyment greatly.

I have played with Bentley, Validz, Valri, Doom, etc

Steam ID is FecalFighter...

I played with Fecal the other day, played fairly well. Someone start a Dota 2 [H] group, I'll be in.

I played with Fecal the other day, played fairly well. Someone start a Dota 2 [H] group, I'll be in.

What is your steam ID? Judging from your [H] name and your icon on Steam I have a good idea.

I think you played when I was Lion and went something ridiculous like 15-6... Once we have the lead I was LoLing with my ulti I think.:D

I'm getting the hang of the play style, but still working on my last hit/deny timing. Also, I need to get used to the new heroes and items. Luckily, I'm winning more than I'm losing, though that's always dependent on the random people I get.

Steam ID: pezzy1980

I remember the days when Luna's ult didn't have a limit on how many times it could hit people, and when FV and Siren could stop the entire map. I also remember when IceFrog got owned by someone playing Lychan, and then he horribly nerfed Lychan for a month... Fun times.

So Pez and I played Single Draft and rolled, the other team was pretty strange and all picked agi carry-ish heroes including a Meepo.

They also stood around for KotL kills and Nyx didn't even try to gank.

I keep getting my butt kicked by bots. Perhaps a [H] online class is in order?

Msg'd you last night before I qued up. You must have been away and just had Dota open.

Steam ID is FecalFighter.

Singe and I had some good games and some not-so-good ones. I try to play in the later evening (CST time for me) after I get home from work, but the wifey sometimes like it when I spend time with her. I'm more available on the weekends.

Feel free to msg me any evening to see if I'm available.

Msg'd you last night before I qued up. You must have been away and just had Dota open.

Steam ID is FecalFighter.

i know who you are :)

i saw your message i usually leave dota running since its not exactly cumbersome on my computer hahaha.

i was just doing greevil matches but not any more i just keep getting snowballs and shit. obnoxious!

Singe and I had some good games and some not-so-good ones. I try to play in the later evening (CST time for me) after I get home from work, but the wifey sometimes like it when I spend time with her. I'm more available on the weekends.

Feel free to msg me any evening to see if I'm available.

im down.

im not gonna add people that i dont play with any more though hahah

i end up with like 70 steam friends i never play shit with.

gonna get my friend a little more experience tonight

can you trade items?

i am trying to get greevil essences if anybody has any they dont want. i have 2 nakeds.. im trying to upgrade :X

Did he ban Lich first... wtf happened. Hood of Defiance Pudge FTL.

dremic you're doom?

I think the combo of Sven and KotL should be reused in a future [H] game, because Sven with replenished mana was killing everyone. Or CM, I suppose.

We knew what we needed, like Magnus and Bounty Hunter. Maybe a Nyx Assassin to counter any int hero. But if doom wants Death Prophet that also works, towers melt against her ulti.

Last edited:
Did he ban Lich first... wtf happened. Hood of Defiance Pudge FTL.

dremic you're doom?

I think the combo of Sven and KotL should be reused in a future [H] game, because Sven with replenished mana was killing everyone. Or CM, I suppose.

We knew what we needed, like Magnus and Bounty Hunter. Maybe a Nyx Assassin to counter any int hero. But if doom wants Death Prophet that also works, towers melt against her ulti.

yeah im d00m.

(Some of my analysis below is based off Dota 1 heroes, as I still haven't played all the D2 ones, and some things have changed. Plus, this is pub theory-crafting, not intended for league/competitive play)

DP offers great pushing ability, with a good nuke and her ult. Toss in a refresher, and watch the towers fall.

Magnus is a good support tank. Empower plus ult will let your carry dominate. Shockwave is a good early game nuke. Ogre Magi might also be a good choice, with both a stun and slow, but Empower is probably a better team skill than Bloodlust. ES is also a good support STR hero, and in the past, paired very well with CM.

Nyx is an interesting hero. Early game, he's definitely one of the most powerful heroes with both a good stun and insane mana-burn nuke. The problem is that around mid-game, his usefulness starts to fall fast. Once heroes start to gain HP, he can't insta-kill anymore, and thus he becomes useless. Even if you tack on a Dagon, he has nothing to really share in a team battle. If Nyx can't keep the enemies from getting exp/gold from levels 6-15, then it's a waste.

BH is more useful than Nyx, especially if the enemy has an invis hero (or a carry that will get the shadow walk item). Like Nyx, he has little to offer in a team battle, but in my opinion, has better survivability and can hit harder. If your concern are INT heroes, then anybody with a silence skill would be good.

CM is a great team support hero, but is incredibly fragile. Her aura helps early and mid game, but useless late game (imo I wouldn't even level it beyond 2). Lich most likely has better late game potential (esp with refresher), but I'd take CM over Lich for serious play.

thats putting it nicely, sad.

that pudge was awful that didnt help.

That game was borked at the pick screen with our retard captain. Then he didn't gank top to help our farm being the two solo carries.

Top it all off with me just not feeling in the grove and playing like a dumpster fire.

Oh and I figured out what the problem was on Vent, you will be able to hear me now.

Well if we get Pez and Honey Badger we can roll with 5. Tonight I have belated Christmas stuff but might be on late.

Pez, you were interested in Wisp, right? dremic could be a hard carry, or Wisp + Magnus is strong. I also am getting the hang of Void, fingers crossed.

Has anyone tried Phantom Assassin with Diffusal Blade?

Last edited:
If Dremic can hard carry then I can support ini.

I can carry as well with good support and babysitting.

Interested in trying Wisp, yes. Not certain how effective I'll be at it for awhile, as the skills look like they take time to master.

Void is a decent carry, he's all about the stun lock. Chronowalk in, ult, MoM it up, kill, and run like hell. His ult (while awesome), has a long cd, which makes him less useful than other carries. And refresher isn't really viable on him. Ursa and PL are good alternatives.

Diffusal for PA... It's not bad, but lifesteal was usually the orb effect of choice. She's so fragile (low HP and armor), that MoM was usually core (Satanic was often a luxury item). She lacks any true team skills (plus no disable), so she was rarely used in competitive play. I'd say 20-25% of the time, people went with Diffusal instead of MoM/Satanic.

I can't speak about Ursa, as in Dota 1, mana burn wouldn't work with his natural orb (can't look up the name at work), and his orb was the best in the game. I doubt he can have two orbs (and really, getting diffusal w/o using the mana burn is a waste imo).

When team building, a good rule of thumb I came up with is that four out of the five heroes must have at least 1 disable each. A team w/o disables is a team that loses. Your carry will hopefully have at least one AOE ability (even Drow and SA have AOE silence).

Yeah I removed Ursa after reviewing the mechanics.

Maybe we could do a tri-lane and really farm up a carry, with Wisp mobility as needed, and the other lanes hold their own.

Thoughts on Bane? I don't want to go against one, but playing one never seems like the best option.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/

btw... for greevils.. you can buy an egg for 17cents and essences for as low as 2 cents each.

i was using a naked greevil and instead upped to a lvl 3 yellow greevil with 30 cents.

it only gets expensive if unusual essences are involved.

we will get down later

https://dotabuff.com/matches/87637018

Never really play carries, but jeebus I don't know how I slammed the other team so hard. Although PL is magnificent when he is farmed. Huskar died twice early game and raged quit for 10min. Then storm spirit left later in the game leaving the game mostly 3v5 the whole time. Oh yea and we had no courier the entire game hahaha.

https://dotabuff.com/matches/87637018

Never really play carries, but jeebus I don't know how I slammed the other team so hard. Although PL is magnificent when he is farmed. Huskar died twice early game and raged quit for 10min. Then storm spirit left later in the game leaving the game mostly 3v5 the whole time. Oh yea and we had no courier the entire game hahaha.

What was Ursa thinking with three Battle Furies? Was he trolling? Why not BKB and crit?

Who else is using WASD for camera, 12345 for skills, Q for ulti and ERT for items? Or is this just the unspoken "real" default? :p

Back