Dota 2 Official Thread

Did you micro one of their characters after they left?

What's the verdict on Medusa?

Are there any updated competitive tiers?

Medusa: Awful in pubs. Awful in competitive. She scales extremely poorly until she is actual 6-slot and even at that point needs coordination with your team.

She is decent in lane with snake though, if nothing else. And her jungle is pretty quick once she has an item.

The new pathfinding crap for invisible heros is HORRIBLE. Riki was just walking in front of me and it pretty much made me immobile me as Luna.

If Riki blocks you like that then you know exactly where he is and you can just reveal and kill him.

What DBR "leagues" are you guys in? I'm plat (ewww).

Kind of faceroll when the whole team starts attacking like Bruce Lee. Axestorm mows down creeps and heroes pretty well.

I tested him vs bots and think switching from melee to ranged is cool, regardless of balancing issues. It would be fun for Huskar to start impaling enemies.

havent played in a week due to vacaion. hows trollwarlord?

Scales super super late game. Need a good 4v5 team in order to farm early and then it is faceroll.

Easy to beat with a pushing team though. Just depends.

All in All I think he is a good addition, just a super hard carry that I general don't like to see a random pick on my team (even though it can turn out good).

So I had my roommate who is a HUGE LoL fan check this out and he said the problem he had was that the champions were either to overpowered or to underpowered. He gave some examples such as with one character you can attack enemies just standing where you start, and with another you can just go up to a huge wave of enemies and last minutes without moving.

Well, it's not just that they aren't all the same that bothers him, it's how op or unreliable they can be. For instance there's a guy that can sit in base and strike anywhere on the map which of course there's no defense for, another guy has a guardian angel that when killed can resurrect with full health and mana and another guy that can for 30 seconds take on the entire enemy team, and another guy that can kill champions with one hit. That's what he said to me.

That LoL is more teambased, and while some enmies can be annoying they aren't op.

Well, it's not just that they aren't all the same that bothers him, it's how op or unreliable they can be. For instance there's a guy that can sit in base and strike anywhere on the map which of course there's no defense for, another guy has a guardian angel that when killed can resurrect with full health and mana and another guy that can for 30 seconds take on the entire enemy team, and another guy that can kill champions with one hit. That's what he said to me.

That LoL is more teambased, and while some enmies can be annoying they aren't op.

Not trying to sound mean but that is 100% troll post material. Sure some heroes are stronger or weaker, but they all have weaknesses as well. The strike anywhere on map (Clockwerk, also apparition) does 200 damage at level 4 which is not a lot especially after armor reduction. Your friend obviously has a hard on for LoL and has something against Dota so is flaming it for crap reasons.

Or did he mean Invoker?

"Sit in base" --- sounds pretty useless, then. Can't attack buildings.

Troll Troll Troll your boat gently down the interwebz...

For every strength there is a weakness. Yes there are heroes that are annoying and if you or your teammates play into his strength it can seem broken. However, that is where team work and picking a decent line up come in.

Some heroes out of the dozens are very strong. But great players can also pick up neglected, "weak" one and stomp in competition.

And if you enter the All Pick queue, you're bringing it on yourself.

So I had my roommate who is a HUGE LoL fan check this out and he said the problem he had was that the champions were either to overpowered or to underpowered. He gave some examples such as with one character you can attack enemies just standing where you start, and with another you can just go up to a huge wave of enemies and last minutes without moving.

A few things to point out:

1) Dota heroes are balanced (more or less). The range of competitively viable dota heroes has never been so large. League champs are purposefully imbalanced to get people to buy them...

2) Therefore, what your friend is complaining about is indeed hero diversity. This is an interesting one, since Riot has many times said they do their best to make League as braindead as possible, so that any 4 year old can play (search for "burden of knowledge" posts by riot devs). Hero diversity is of course the exact opposite of that. Dota players enjoy the diversity of dota heroes, its simply more fun. I'd love to hear what heroes your friend thinks are "underpowered".

3) Global attacks are balanced by being skillshots (some harder than others but sunstrike comes to mind) along with long cooldowns or limited damage. I'm not really sure what the issue is here. Note that these DO NOT SCALE something that a league player wouldn't be familiar with. They do set damage so you cant kill somebody cross-map at 50 minutes just because you have farm (okay sunstrike scales a bit).

4) If you are standing in the middle of multiple enemy players for minutes what happened is a phenomenon known as farm. I was under the impression this was also a mechanic in league. Maybe your friend doesn't understand that farming is important and that items make a huge difference? I mean, I dunno this one just sounds like full retard.

It doesn't seem unusually rude for online gaming. I do think the stakes are perhaps too high for new players, with no tutorial, long games that need commitment (unlike TF2), harsh penalties for dying and limited rewards for healing/warding/TPing to defend.

Watch the TotalBiscuit single draft videos, though he only buys recommended items and that's not the best idea. He can play, but not like a pro, and will comment on his mistakes if he sees them.

And ask questions here.

never really had much interest in moba style games. got bored recently and ran out of things to watch. for some reason ended up watching all of TB's 'Hyper Incompetent Single Draft Disaster' videos and was fairly entertained.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTFohR7GUZYeJIfnLtgQaUWaYfkCHt9Z2
even feel i have a basic understanding of game now.

checked steam for dota2 and for some mysterious reason i have a copy, no idea where that came from.
tempted to give it a go.

all random is a welcome addition to game modes.

i queue single draft and all random only.

And Ashe can sit in base in LoL and shoot frost arrows. Twisted Fate and Pantheon can teleport around the map. Nightmare guy turns off all enemies vision. Karthus can do a global team nuke that scales upwards in damage with items. Gangplank can summon a global AOE slow/nuke. There's no defense for those either.

The guardian angel which Resurrects with full health and mana is an item you have to kill Roshan (Dota's Baron equivalent) for.

30 seconds take on an entire team? Sounds like extreme exaggeration, or a ridiculously farmed enemy.

There is no 1 hit kill ability.

You friend played bad (Almost a guarantee if he's coming from LoL - Good strategies, items, builds, laning techniques, jungle techniques, etc. in LoL do not transfer at all to Dota) and encountered unfamiliar content, and then raged. It's very common.

never really had much interest in moba style games. got bored recently and ran out of things to watch. for some reason ended up watching all of TB's 'Hyper Incompetent Single Draft Disaster' videos and was fairly entertained.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTFohR7GUZYeJIfnLtgQaUWaYfkCHt9Z2
even feel i have a basic understanding of game now.

checked steam for dota2 and for some mysterious reason i have a copy, no idea where that came from.
tempted to give it a go.

Sure, why not? Still start vs bots to hone your skills.

Also remember the goal is to wreck buildings including the Ancient. It's not a deathmatch to 50 kills. Avoid dying, of course. They do have penalties for it. Coordinate with your teammates.

But if that guy, the one with 0 kills and 5 deaths still took down three towers or successfully defended some for a long time, it's helping. Later in the game opponents may leave areas of the map open for free farm.

Last edited:
Also remember the goal is to wreck buildings including the Ancient. It's not a deathmatch to 50 kills. Avoid dying, of course. They do have penalties for it. Coordinate with your teammates.

Great point, you also need to FEED YOUR CARRY. If you play a support hero you need little to no farm. The assist, tower, and tick gold is PLENTY.

Learn to babysit a carry and let them last hit, this will do wonders for your team. Don't make a carry fight the other team AND the support hero for farm.

EDIT: I will say though, playing Lion and "fingering" people is great fun. :D

Lion is great, until spells are on cooldown.

I like supports/hybrids that can deal damage, and I don't want to face them.

One of the biggest things that I see people often forget, is that it's a team game. Since I don't usually play carries, I never mind when a "good" carry last hits my creeps or "steals a kill". The sooner carries get their end game items, the better the chances of my team winning.

Just yesterday, I played a game where my team had more kills, but we still lost. The reason? We didn't team push. But that just shows you what's important - taking down buildings and winning, not your kill count.

And as other people have said in here, if you don't know something, ask. Ask people for items that are good for your hero (if you don't want to follow what the game suggests), and ask for skill builds, as well as the best way to use your skills.

There is no 1 hit kill ability.
Together with his observation of a hero taking on a complete creep wave points to Axe.
His ultimate can't take someone out in one hit if they have enough health but to someone playing for the first time it might look like the player was one-shotted.

Or maybe a low level, low hp player gobsmacked by a high level, high damage farmed hero? Hard to tell...best solution when someone "sees" an "op" hero is to pick it next round and test whether the observation was correct.

This doesn't deserve an explanation. This is actually a pretty good game for NOT having one-shots: headshots, or a Rogue ambush for 1000 on an 1100hp enemy and then one more attack. Crit costs gold or an ability slot.

The Sniper/Lion/Lina ultimates are very good but not one-shots. Assassinate is especially survivable.

Nyx can combo someone to death before they respond, but that's its strength instead of farm, aoe, etc.

Icefrog knows how to balance.

This doesn't deserve an explanation. This is actually a pretty good game for NOT having one-shots: headshots, or a Rogue ambush for 1000 on an 1100hp enemy and then one more attack. Crit costs gold or an ability slot.

The Sniper/Lion/Lina ultimates are very good but not one-shots. Assassinate is especially survivable.

Nyx can combo someone to death before they respond, but that's its strength instead of farm, aoe, etc.

Icefrog knows how to balance.

icefrog made dota popular using balance. so i completely agree.

it will be interesting to see what happens when all the dota characters make it into the game; will ice frog make new heroes...should be cool to see. HON got ruined by development heroes.. they did a terrible job

IceFrog only knows how to balance when he doesn't lose. Back in Dota 1, he got owned by someone playing Lychan, so he nerfed Lychan horribly for two weeks, before he patched him back up to standards.

But for the most part, yeah, he can balance. If a new char doesn't work out, he will remove it. He did that in D1, he'll do that in D2. All I can say is, he better give me my mother eff'in Techies soon, and they better not be gimped.

IceFrog only knows how to balance when he doesn't lose. Back in Dota 1, he got owned by someone playing Lychan, so he nerfed Lychan horribly for two weeks, before he patched him back up to standards.

But for the most part, yeah, he can balance. If a new char doesn't work out, he will remove it. He did that in D1, he'll do that in D2. All I can say is, he better give me my mother eff'in Techies soon, and they better not be gimped.

techies might just be last.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Unreleased_Content

^^ so far has been pretty spot on

I don't know what it is about DoTA but I can't convert from LoL.

Heretic! You must be purged! jk

It's okay, some people don't move from Pokemon to MTG. jk again

But not everyone should convert. Seriously.

Last edited:
DoTA is different enough from LoL that I am horrible and don't want to spend weeks figuring out why.

DoTA is different enough from LoL that I am horrible and don't want to spend weeks figuring out why.

Sex is different enough from masturbating that I am horrible and I don't want to spend weeks figuring out why.

>_>

Let's talk about Dota 2, with open hero choice for all players. Price: $0.

Is Alchemist sneaky-good or was that just a fad?

Has anyone put in a good length of time with Disruptor?

How does Monkey King Bar stack up for the gold?

Just a fad. The hero isn't mobile enough to be a real melee carry.

Not really. He's quite good though, one of the "I NEED ALL MY ABILITIES ASDFJLJSDFS" kind of heroes. Its hard to get the right abilities all the time.

Priceless. Obviously terrible stats, but that makes no difference. If you need it, it could grant 0 stats and you'd grab it. If you don't need it, then it is obviously way useless on the stats scale.

alchemist is a great carry. especially if played correctly. skip vanguard and get a maelstorm+basher and its over. also lane with a stun.. you both go in, he stuns you stun..all while your acid is down. its rape. i did it with an ogre magi

Back