Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

haha or a lawsuit for using 'DOOM 3' without consent in publications when it gets popular, jk :p very nice job.

Dillusion said:
haha or a lawsuit for using 'DOOM 3' without consent in publications when it gets popular, jk :p very nice job.

Oh yeah ..i forgot to mention the 100,000 Doom3 teeshirts I had made up and I'm selling on Canal Street in NCY. oops.

Wow, you have just brought case modding to a whole new level!

Look at the attention it has : -
nearly 50 pages
nearly 500 people veiwing this right now
500,000 hit's :eek:

You should go into business doing this, also I'm sure alot of sponsors would like to get their hardware into that pc.

Man, I just saw the updated pic on the front page. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I will admit that I haven't been paying close enough attention to the thread on a daily basis....but that blew me away.

v3rt1g0 said:
Awesome.

My only nitpick is that the rock looks a bit more like metal than stone.

What i've shown so far is just a quickly applied basecoat--not nearly finish painted and detailed ;)

Don't come here much anymore but now that XS got hacked...it's between here, OCForums, and XR.

Good job man, looking great. I'm not really a case modder but I appreciate what you've done here :) It rivals the borg water-cooled case I saw a while ago on Bit-Tech.

CrimsonSky said:
I got around to casting some rocks for the Martian landscape--then applied a little basecoat of paint. From images of Mars, looks to me like plenty of rusted soil and blackish/gray rocks poking out. Here I imagined bedrock, what the building would have been built on-...sort of an outcrop of blasted and machine cut stone. The sides of the base will be smoother terrain. You can also see the Doom3 logo, which is now part the optical drive bezel. I'll have small spotlights illuminating the bottom half of the logo eventually

Terrain_carve

terrain_1

The white strip you see under the door is a temporary spacer until the bezel is mounted
terrain_2

terrain_3

A suggestion: you don't need a straight edge between the optical drive bezel and the base, you could make it irregular, so edge just looks as rocks piled over each other.
You can also make the bezel sides overhang over the base a little, making it stealthier.

EDIT: just thought about it again; may be you have all this already thought out and that door appearance is part of your design; well, we'll see. ( :confused: , a little impatient)

dream caster said:
A suggestion: you don't need a straight edge between the optical drive bezel and the base, you could make it irregular, so edge just looks as rocks piled over each other.
You can also make the bezel sides overhang over the base a little, making it stealthier.

EDIT: just thought about it again; may be you have all this already thought out and that door appearance is part of your design; well, we'll see. ( :confused: , a little impatient)

I considered making it jagged, however interlocking all those areas would mean an extremely delicate balance of function and design--making jagged parts on the door means added weight...jagged rocks to the left and right of the bezel means they would have to be removable in order to get the optical drive in or out as necessary. When the drive door opens now, you have what appears like a slab of rock and steel, not a craggly irregular shape ;) There will be some special effects sound associated with the drive door via the soundboard as well, when the button is pressed. The button for the optical drive will be a small rock :D

For the record, the gap in the door (which is now less than 1/8 inch )will be much less once the damn thing is mounted properly. Still working on it ;)

Why is the bezel also rock? With the gap in there it looks like a set from a 1930's scifi movie. No offense, but that particular bit is poorly executed imo. It would look better if it was a metal door or something, or at least get rid of that awful gap between.. rock.. and more rock.

My opinion, though, and like farts we can't stand any but our own.

I got around to shimming up the door, aligning it and so forth--I mounted the bezel on an old CDROm just to test it and rigged up a button. here is a 5second video:

Door Open/Close

Love the sounds
biggrin.gif

Good work!

Much better now. I spent no less than 2 minutes just staring at it go open and close. :D
Btw, is it just me, or is the 3 supposed to have lines in it as well?

OMGWTF!!!!!!!!1111!
dude that is awesome...lol
look into conan movies for bug sliding rock sounds , or even krull or the like:)
love it mang MORE PICS PLEASE!!!

CrimsonSky said:
hehe..thanks..i know--silly to have a stone door with sound--but just having fun here
biggrin.gif
heh I didn't think it was silly. I actually thought it fit in well since the drive is mechanical and all
smile.gif

Thoroughly impressed with the sounds/door...this is gonna be one "hell" of a mod when its done! :D

Keep up the work man...you are pushing case modding to a new level. :cool:

look into conan movies for bug sliding rock sounds , or even krull or the like
Yeah, Krull has a whole mountain moving. OT: I thought that movie was excellent when I was a kid (see also Conan, and Hawk The Slayer) :rolleyes: Watch all of them now and they just suck!

Quake 1 probably has easier accessed (and better produced) grinding stone sounds though.

I just checked out the little video you made Crimson, that is pretty slick. :cool:
You might want to check this out for a little command line app that open/closes CD drive's, I've assigned it to a button on my remote. :D

WRT the door sounds: I hope it's possible to turn the sounds off. ;) Last thing you want is to have them going off with a hangover, or at 7am after a 48 hour gaming session (or at a lan party where people are sleeping!). :)

Cool though.

doh said:
WRT the door sounds: I hope it's possible to turn the sounds off. ;) Last thing you want is to have them going off with a hangover, or at 7am after a 48 hour gaming session (or at a lan party where people are sleeping!). :)Cool though

Cool..I hope it wakes 'em all up :D The CDROM will not be the loudest of sounds this thing will make :eek:

im sure youve heard this a million times by now, but this is the apsolute best case mod ive ever seen.

haha crimson i joined [h] after i saw your mods, and ive even picked up all my modle making stuff (i droped them all in a box when i stoped moddling warhammer adn started modding computers thinking they could never go hand in hand) so youve change my whole frickin perception of art :eek:

btw your doin a awsome job

i hope you make the servos and all the animations software controled... because that would just be too cool.

god you keep us on our toes, but its a good thing. take care ~ the shadow

Hey CrimsonSky,

I realize it's late in the game, but have you thought of having the CD Door swing up instead, and have the tray come out as if it was an armored vehicle exiting a concealed docking bay?

You could then mod the CD tray itself to look like a futuristic vehicle, even adding LED's as headlights. I realise you cannot do too much down the side of the tray, as that disappears into the CDROM itself, but if you removed the casing of the CD-ROM, that would give you some more room to add some sides. For the front, you would not need it to be flat, since that is not the tray stop, so you could actually contour it to be like the bumper or grille of an armored vehicle.

Just a crazy idea to add to your pile.

I like the new cd rom bezel and in the video was that sounds i herd? If so that is badass....!

All I can say is holy crap that's one fine mod. I've been following your work CrimsonSky for quite some time now. You've never disapointed me in all your mods Crimson. I do wish to know where do you buy you ABS plasic? I've looked everywhere, at least it feels that way. If anyone knows please fill me in. Thanks. :D

spidy said:
All I can say is holy crap that's one fine mod. I've been following your work CrimsonSky for quite some time now. You've never disapointed me in all your mods Crimson. I do wish to know where do you buy you ABS plasic? I've looked everywhere, at least it feels that way. If anyone knows please fill me in. Thanks. :D

Thanks for the appreciation..as far as the plastic, you should have tried something we call Google :p High Impact Styrene Plastic Sheets

I'm just playing that video over and over and over again. That is the coolest damn thing I've ever seen!! :D I can't wait for the next update!!

Also, a comment on the plastic that you use. What thicknesses do you use? Obviously you want a thinner sheet if you're going to shape curves and such, but the thinner is again obviously less strong. I'm just curious as I'd really like to start playing around with it to see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Back