Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

mashie said:
You can still use a PCI videocard to drive the LCD with though (if space permits).

Ya thats what i would do just use like a PCI FX5200 or something like that.

mashie said:
Nope, that is one of the remaining big bugs. You can still use a PCI videocard to drive the LCD with though (if space permits). Just a very annoying solution though considering the 6800s provides 4 DVI outputs together...

Yeah that was my original plan, then the decision was made to get the SCSI drive and now there isnt any space for a 3rd card to drive the small LCD :(

perhaps a flexible and then mount the card in a custom position...hmmm

mashie said:
Nope, that is one of the remaining big bugs. You can still use a PCI videocard to drive the LCD with though (if space permits). Just a very annoying solution though considering the 6800s provides 4 DVI outputs together...

I think I see a light in the end of the tunnel... According to an article on The Inquirer the upcoming release 80 driver from Nvidia has a lot of SLI-related improvements. Let us hope that this issue has been fixed as well.

And you can download the beta here.

I finally found a solution to making the blast doors and airlock open--make linear actuators from old cdrom drives! RC Servos just dont have enough travel in the arms to open the doors I made properly, so by taking the high torque gears and motor that open and close the tray to a CDROM, voila, a linear actuator. I have a short video showing how it works, I'll get it up asap.

Here is a shot of the motor assembly disassembled that will be mounted to that tambour style blast door that covers the LCD on the front of the case:

Linear Actuator1

This pancake motor is perfect because it is of course, 3-5VDC reversable. It's also designed to last a long time:

Linear Actuator2

Here is the track assembly. The plastic geared "track" was taken from the CDROM tray and mounted on my aluminum rail:

Linear Actuator3

The slide assembly has a built-in spring (inside the round alum tube) to prevent the motor from sliding off the geared track when it reaches the ends of the travel. The springs also make sure that the main motor gear is always in contact with the first tooth of the geared track, and ready to move in the opposite direction:

Linear Actuator4

Linear Actuator5

Linear Actuator6

Here is the unit assembled:

Linear Actuator7

Here is where it will be mounted inside the blast door structure:

Linear Actuator8

Linear Actuator9

How about slowing the door down and doing the airlock hissing sound? Just an idea. Throw a smoke thing in their like you did for that smoke stack. lol. I know its prolly a lot of work but just some ideas.

been reading your worklog since the day it started (long time ago :eek: )

Keep up the amazing work!:)

/any ideas when about it'll be finished? :p

CrimsonSky said:
yeah August 11, come see it at QuakeCon. ;)

I too have been watching since day one, and I cant wait to see it at Quakecon. It'll be good to meet the man behind the art...

I was going to suggest the same thing...any way to get it down to about half the speed would make it a much more dramatic feature.

you better post 100,000 different angles when it is done :D :p
I can't make it to quakecon :cry:
cry.gif

sob.gif

badass! i agree with the above though. a little slower would seem a little more like what i would expect in real life. then again, i've not seen doors that look like that in the game(haven't played it. machine too slow for it) so it may be very representative of what's in the game.

either way, it's awesome and the attention to detail astounds.

*speechless*

you should do these project for movie companies for their primiers and give away :)

i wish i had half the talent you have in one hand! this is just awsome!

The detail in this case is unbelievable. I wish I had the talent and patience to do something like this. Great to see you working on it again.

I'm going to be happy and sad at the same time when this is finally finished. :)

Amazing work as usual Crim.

Crimson, come on give us an update, i can't wait :p

This worklog is really outstanding, (just as the mod itself) :D

Crim, if you are going to play with a pot to optimize the speed on the blast door, how about adding a capacitor to the circuit so that the speed "ramps-up." I think the overall effect could improve.

Mechanical airlock? OK!

This nice little challenge is finally complete from a mechanical standpoint. The motors from a CDROM would not be powerful enough to open and close these airlock doors, so the logical replacement would be to use hobby servos. For those of you familliar with these high torque gear boxes, you know some of them pack serious strength--

What I did was create another linear actuator to open and close the doors. Unfortunately the standard servo arms only rotate 45 degrees, and this would not give me enough linear "travel" along the gear bar to open and close my airlock doors. Hmmm..

Solution was to use these specialized servo motors called "retract servos"--these are used to raise and lower the landing gears on flying model aircraft. Not only do they rotate 170 degrees, they also have a higher torque rating than standard servos--perfect for what I need.

You can see I created a "scissor" type mechanism to open and close the airlock doors--sometimes the most elegant solutions are the most basic in design--I had to be extremely accurate with measuring/cutting/drilling in creating this mechanism, and it took some serious tuning to get it running like buttah. The entire mechanism is very robust, so it should last for years without needing adjustments.

Enough gab, on with some pics:

You can see that i also made the cut-out for the 120mm Panaflo fan--Airlock opens, fresh air comes in--Here is the airlock module bolted onto the case. I'll be making a housing to cover the scissor mechanism, as well as all the wires for the servo and lighting:

airlock_mech-(12).jpg

Here is the mechanism, top view. All painted and plastic parts (and gears) are lubricated with Lithium grease, as anything petroleum based would eat the plastic:

airlock_mech-(1).jpg

Here you can see the Hitec HS-75BB Retract Servo, and b\gear bar i took from a CDROM tray. The gear on the servo is also taken from the CDROM motor, then it was mounted with tiny screws onto a standard servo wheel:

airlock_mech-(5).jpg

Inside the airlock, I did some kitbashing and scratchbuilding to add details to the back of the doors--Inside will be a light fixture (red LED) as well, pics for that coming up soon:

airlock_mech-(7).jpg

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir.............man I was holding my breath until the next update, now I can breath again :D
Looking good as always but please don't keep us waiting so long.
good Job!!!!!

holy hell you are a GOD!

i want a video of this now :D how about some over project pics sometime along the way to show the whole case in on go?

mabye put a speaker to make a hiss sound for the airlock depressurising or a whoosh if its an all at once thing lol

BoySetsFire said:
have you looked nito using 'memory metals' for some things?

Where the hell is he gonna get memory metal from?

Stuff is really cool but not practical in a case mod.

Nice! I was wondering what route your were going to take on the doors. It's almost a shame that the mechanics of this mod aren't going to be prominantly displayed. Maybe in the future you could do a mod specifically to show off mechanical mechinisms like this and the blast door.
Just a couple quick questions:
I'm noticing a lot of the aluminum framework you use is pre-formed. Are you using aluminum door thresholds for stock?
What power tools do you employ to get the clean cuts on your aluminum parts? If I had to guess, I'd say mainly a drillpress and a chop-saw, but I'd like to know for sure. :)
In that first pic, is that a Foredom I see in the background? (for those who don't know; Dremel tools bow down to the mighty Foredom)

zoggy said:
Are you coming to QuakeCon? Bringing your case to show off? :)

I think I remember seeing in a post of his that he mentioned tha the final product is supposed to be done at QuakeCon but we will see.

His project is very ambitious and i think it'll take a while before it's completed. Hope it gets done soon but we'll see.

Back