Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

Integrating the pda's cradle into say your "martian" landscape areas shouldn't be terribly difficult, in fact even having it seperate from the case on its own "martian" hill or something along those lines would still fit the bill. Wires could be concealed to make them look like pipes or tubing, that is if the pda were to be seperate from the rest of the case. Of course, the PDA would have to have the look and feel of the rest of the case. This concept could also be taken one step further say with you're LCD display or regular CRT monitor, you're Logitech MX Duo cradle/receiver, or anything else you have plugged in and/or attached to the case.

A friend of mine and I are into extreme case modding, you sir are our hero!

Also, the chainsaw fan grill is simply bliss, BUT what about a nice big 120/160+ with the blades either painted as chainsaws(may not look so great outside of my imagination) or with the blades replaced with your chainsaw model.

I'm sure I'll be brainstorming all day, thanks for giving me something to do at work...other than work...

i just registered after reading the idea about using a pocket pc for the sound control.....to say that i have a palm i705 that i would be willing to donate.it has wireless capabilitys and infrared beam capabilities.........................decide, and if you dont use it for this project, im sure ill have it for a while, just sits in the closet.

btw...............the mod is very nice

cyberheavencrew said:
Integrating the pda's cradle into say your "martian" landscape areas shouldn't be terribly difficult, in fact even having it seperate from the case on its own "martian" hill or something along those lines would still fit the bill. Wires could be concealed to make them look like pipes or tubing, that is if the pda were to be seperate from the rest of the case. Of course, the PDA would have to have the look and feel of the rest of the case. This concept could also be taken one step further say with you're LCD display or regular CRT monitor, you're Logitech MX Duo cradle/receiver, or anything else you have plugged in and/or attached to the case.

You could have a drum or something on it's side, and flip that up to have the docking port for the pda.

OT: Qtip that cracked me up when you said that in the thread :D

Back on topic here, the PDA idea is a really good one, a pda that is connected to the case and can have some control functionality is an awesome idea too!

With the power and flexibility of the PocketPC operating system you can do just about anything with it. It'd be pretty cool to have Doom3 video/screenshots/etc. all available via the PDA. Also it wouldn't take much to replicate the in-game PDA functionality including the voice messages and video email. There are several PPC applications that let you control the PDA from your PC desktop, making the possiblities infinite. ::Continues brainstorming...::

mirak said:
i just registered after reading the idea about using a pocket pc for the sound control.....to say that i have a palm i705 that i would be willing to donate.it has wireless capabilitys and infrared beam capabilities.........................decide, and if you dont use it for this project, im sure ill have it for a while, just sits in the closet.

btw...............the mod is very nice

That's really generous of you..I appreciate it!..will have to give the PDA idea some thought. I bet I could mod one of those up nicely to match the look.

Some of those joins on the foot the case stands on need some work badly. Unless, of course you plan to leave them so painfully obvious, although I don't see why you would do that. Also, if the foot is hollow inside, you could place at least some of your WC components there. the pump, a res, or whatever.

Darth_Fluffy said:
Some of those joins on the foot the case stands on need some work badly. Unless, of course you plan to leave them so painfully obvious, although I don't see why you would do that. Also, if the foot is hollow inside, you could place at least some of your WC components there. the pump, a res, or whatever.

Never show an ass a half finished project- :p

I havent even started on that base unit. And the WC components I have in mind to use will not fit inside

Yes, but you could cut a hole in the bottom of your case, so at least a part of them will fit :). I'm many things, but a donkey I'm not, good sir.

Darth_Fluffy said:
Yes, but you could cut a hole in the bottom of your case, so at least a part of them will fit :). I'm many things, but a donkey I'm not, good sir.

You must not understand plain english when the guy said he hasn't started on that section of the mod yet.

so back to more constructive things....

that storage area would be a keen spot to tuck away a PDA. What sort of lighting are you planning on using inside and around the case?

why dint ya just cut a hole thru one side to the other and moutn a big fan, yeah thats a good idea. Ohh and like the bbase, bit of plaster wuill do it. Sod the terrain, ya dont need that, just a nice big hole for water cooling
yeah wik3d

woot woot im now 1337 r0x3r

You could also mod the PDA to use that motorized LCD. That way it could be hidden somewhere else, and the display used.. well, for the PDA. We can't seem to decide yet whether this is an objective mod, or a theme mod. If it's objective, than it should stay a mars base, and the out-of-scale PDA will not "fit" well. If it's themed, then it doesn't hurt to have all sorts of silly things, large and small.
554 said:
why dint ya just cut a hole thru one side to the other and moutn a big fan, yeah thats a good idea. Ohh and like the bbase, bit of plaster wuill do it. Sod the terrain, ya dont need that, just a nice big hole for water cooling
yeah wik3d

woot woot im now 1337 r0x3r
ROFLCOPTER SI LOW ON WTFBOMBS!!1

cyberheavencrew said:
so back to more constructive things....

that storage area would be a keen spot to tuck away a PDA. What sort of lighting are you planning on using inside and around the case?

Much like a movie set, first the scenery has to be in place before it can be properly lighted--really hard to plan ahead for all of it until all the colors/textures are painted inside and out.

Inside as well? Does that imply that you will have the imitation sheet metal on the inside as well, or.. just paint the inside? Comes to think of it, you could make one of those plates to fit on top of the mobo. If you decide that you don't want to see the mobo, of course.

Darth_Fluffy said:
You could also mod the PDA to use that motorized LCD. That way it could be hidden somewhere else, and the display used.. well, for the PDA. We can't seem to decide yet whether this is an objective mod, or a theme mod. If it's objective, than it should stay a mars base, and the out-of-scale PDA will not "fit" well. If it's themed, then it doesn't hurt to have all sorts of silly things, large and small.

There is no need to decide what this mod is..it is what it is, just like I am what I am--much like Popeye ya see. the modeling on the inside has yet TBD

I've never tried using them in a case mod, but they make very small xenon charged flash bulbs and driver circuits for the RC airplane industry. If there were a way to have some of them fire at random instead of in a pattern it may be an excellent means to emulate the flashing lighting areas of the game. If the case is to look like one of the buildings of Mars City, have you experimented with any antenna ideas? Might be a great opportunity to integrate a nice WAP or bridge or anything that actually has antennas. With the relative inexpense of wireless components these days you could even hide the AP itself away somewhere and relocate the SMA connectors to the top of the case. Throw on some non-functional decorative antennas, maybe a kitbashed satellite dish from a star wars model, some LEDs...

Seeing your project has gotten me excited about case modding again, I can't wait to start on my next theme project. Maybe we can do a collab!

Darth_Fluffy said:
We see.. hypocrisy.

Indeed, but some of your statements may seem a little contradictory.

And this thread is going out of hand again. Delete irrelevant posts plz?
All of yours then. And this one too.

Crimson is working along to make a cool mod. There's different kinds of mods. This is the extravagant, high detail kind of mod, not necessarily what I'd want on my desk but it's great artwork. He's got plans, I don't doubt that, you can see it because of the quality of the design and the way things have been laid out so far.

So shush darth...

can we stay in a more constructive and effective train of thought people?

crimson did you see the lighting reply i posted before all that trash hit the thread?

CrimsonSky said:
Great..now I'm a hypocrite. This is a work in progress, of my own design, that is all you need to know. Any other names or accusations you'd like to throw my way?

I did see the post about the strobe lighting effects, it's been suggested before in the thread-
Master of Environmental Disaster? How's that one? Oh, and Mawd Gawd, and 1337 Modder, and Mawd Master...

CrimsonSky said:
Great..now I'm a hypocrite. This is a work in progress, of my own design, that is all you need to know. Any other names or accusations you'd like to throw my way?

I did see the post about the strobe lighting effects, it's been suggested before in the thread-
It is said that Michaelangelo knew what was in the marble before he started working on it. If people asked him what he was doing he would just tell them he was removing the excess to show the finished work that was in the marble all along.

What Darth Fluffy seems to be forgetting is that this is CrimsonSky's mod and he is simply "removing the marble" to get to the finished piece underneath. It's his vision of what is in the "marble" and while we might not see or be able to describe the whole of it until the end, it is still HIS piece. He might not be able to tell you what everything is going to look like, heck, he might not even know now what it will look like when it's done, but he is the artist here and we are NOTHING more then guests he permitted to watch him work. Remember that since we ARE guests he has full right to treat us as such. When guests become too unruly or unpleasant then you ask them to leave your house. If you antagonize the man too much he can simply "pack up his ball and go home."

There is nothing wrong with having ideas, and since CrimsonSky asked for some, there is nothing wrong with making some suggestions, but when he asks you to stop or to bear with him there is no need to contine harping on the same subjects. Have some faith, he has yet to do ANYTHING to let us down (please feel free to check out his other mods on his site if you disagree) but if you feel differently you are welcome to create your own mod any time you want and leave this thread in peace.

Keep up the Great Work Crimson, and let us know if there is anything else you want / are looking for. Until then, why don't we all just let the man work in peace.

CrimsonSky said:

Sorry, not you. I quoted your message after. Either way, you should keep in mind what makes Doom³ great: consistency. ;) *hint hint*

Is the storage area big enough to fit a portable mp3 player in it? That'd be pretty neat, when you are transferring songs to it from the PC. If you do that kinda stuff. :)

crimson, you my man is doing a great job :) .keep it up! :cool:

sooooooooooooooooooo.......... ;)

can we have more pics? :D

v3rt1g0 said:
CrimsonSky, this case is literally a work of art.
Agreed, I'm also following Mashies. All these mods are almost making me want to play the game. :) I never bought it and haven't played it yet, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Crimson, its a waste of time to sit here and argue with some of these asshats :rolleyes: , get back to work and upload some new pics..... :p

Grinder66 said:
Crimson, its a waste of time to sit here and argue with some of these asshats :rolleyes: , get back to work and upload some new pics..... :p

agreed.. fill our need of more pictures and updates

for a suggestion, do you think it would look better to have 2 chainsaws crossing for the grill instead of just one?

Amazing work. I would insure it for at least a couple of thousand once it is done. Guaranteed if it went up for auction on Ebay in 20 years there will still be thousands of people who remember the assembly. Definitely a timeless piece.

Darth_Fluffy said:
ROFLCOPTER SI LOW ON WTFBOMBS!!1

Thanks, my monitor and keyboard needed cleaned anyways. :D

Angel said:
agreed.. fill our need of more pictures and updates

for a suggestion, do you think it would look better to have 2 chainsaws crossing for the grill instead of just one?

I think he said he may try it

I can't wait to see what the "building" portions of the case are going to look like. id better buy this case just so crimson gets comp'd properly for his amazing work and investment of time and material. Then they should send it straight it to the Smithsonian!

Back