Doom Eternal

EDIT: things get so much better a bit intro level 2... choose your runes + Praeter suite kind of upgrades? You mean I don't have to wait until half way through the game for the air moverment perkl???? YES PLEASE

haha, that was the best upgrade, especially maxed, in the whole game. Didn't feel right double jump + air control, for sure

My son beat it in 13 hours.
My son just beat it and his total playtime was 11 hours on ultra violence. I think I'm going to skip it, I watched him play it, and I'm too old and my reflexes won't allow me to play this.

I'm not bragging, not how I meant it. I just thought the game would take longer than that for the price. I think Doom 2016 had more playtime. I'm kind of disappointed in that length of a game.

DF has some analysis of the game engine. iD Tech 7, which they consider very impressive.

The first mission is difficult on ultra-violence, and I'm tempted to bump it down a notch...

I'm loving the game so far. Ultra Violence is just difficult enough to make every battle a complete thrill without being super frustrating...

I must be getting old...I find parts of the game hard as hell on Ultra Violence...for some of these large scale battles dozens of enemies are constantly bombarding you from land and air...and the AI seems much improved- they flank you, track you, box you in corners, cut you off, warp in right in front or behind you etc...the fact that specific weapons work best on certain enemies makes weapon switching another annoying thing to deal with...I've never played a FPS this intense...I can imagine how impossible this would be on the hardest difficulty level

the developers definitely do not want you using 1 weapon for the entire game...you need to be constantly on the move, switching weapons, using glory kills etc

I must be getting old...I find parts of the game hard as hell on Ultra Violence...for some of these large scale battles dozens of enemies are constantly bombarding you from land and air...and the AI seems much improved- they flank you, track you, box you in corners, cut you off etc...the fact that specific weapons work best on certain enemy types adds another layer of chaos to the battle...I've never played a FPS this intense...I can imagine how impossible this would be on the hardest difficulty level

...I made it halfway through the Cultist Base and after about ten attempts on the one battle right after you get the rocket launcher, I turned the difficulty down to Hurt Me Plenty, haha. Rolled through the rest of the mission after that.

...I made it halfway through the Cultist Base and after about ten attempts on the one battle right after you get the rocket launcher, I turned the difficulty down to Hurt Me Plenty, haha. Rolled through the rest of the mission after that.

the Slayer Gate on the Cultist Base level is what got me to permanently switch the difficulty from Ultra Violence to Hurt Me Plenty...holy hell that was insane...even Hurt Me Plenty is challenging...

Enjoying it so far - thought there'd be more of an explanation at the beginning how you got from Doom 2016 to Eternal, but really, it's not that needed for this game.

Really surprised by the amount of platforming and exploration - felt like I was playing Metroid Prime at times.

Agreed with other posters about the gimped punch. Feels weird not doing anything to zombies/imps. They should've had it do light damage, but allow suit upgrades to enhance it - say a maxed out version would give you the blood punch-type effect (with a charge period) and also stagger heavier demons on hits.

I'm up to level 4 or 5 and I absolutely love this game...took me around 1.5 levels to get comfortable with the new/updated mechanics but once everything clicks WOW...the new environments are a vast improvement over Doom 2016 and the gameplay tweaks such as enemy weak points and using the chainsaw, flame belch and glory kills to regain ammo/armor/health really improve the gameplay...only thing worse is the graphics but even that starts to improve after the orange/red color design of the 1st level

Is this just a series of survival arenas linked by tunnels that you can't access until you survive the current arena?

Has anyone found Doom Eternal to cause you motion sickness? Normally, I'm not susceptible to motion sickness in any games, although I definitely can't read or book nor look at my phone in a car else I'm loosing my lunch. But games have never caused me issues. That being said, Doom Eternal is making my head spin after playing for only 5 minutes. I've tried different resolutions, my fps is very high, refresh rate set to 144, I have Motion turned off in the settings... I'm curious what's causing it. I know it's a pretty fast paced game, lots of fast turning etc... but I normally stick to FPS games and non cause me issues. I'm just wondering if it's the super fast paced, fast turns etc. Anyone else? Maybe there's a setting I need to disable I'm not aware about?

Has anyone found Doom Eternal to cause you motion sickness? Normally, I'm not susceptible to motion sickness in any games, although I definitely can't read or book nor look at my phone in a car else I'm loosing my lunch. But games have never caused me issues. That being said, Doom Eternal is making my head spin after playing for only 5 minutes. I've tried different resolutions, my fps is very high, refresh rate set to 144, I have Motion turned off in the settings... I'm curious what's causing it. I know it's a pretty fast paced game, lots of fast turning etc... but I normally stick to FPS games and non cause me issues. I'm just wondering if it's the super fast paced, fast turns etc. Anyone else? Maybe there's a setting I need to disable I'm not aware about?
Try increasing your field of view so turning is less needed and slower motion may help.

The default FOV in Doom eternal is 90. I play with it maxed out to 120. Try increasing it from default to see if it helps.

Up to 14 hours of play time according to Steam and I feel like I still have a bit more to go before getting to the end. I'm still loving it.

I played around with the HDR settings to get a deeper picture while still maintaining bright highlights. Who all is playing on a PC monitor with HDR? What are your HDR settings?

Last edited:
Just beat it. 21 hours total playtime. Man what a trip. Time to start replaying missions to find stuff I missed, then on to replaying it in nightmare.

That hotfix patch fixed the issues I was having with the game. No more half FPS with V-Sync or intermittent crashes.
Up to 14 hours of play time according to Steam and I feel like I still have a bit more to go before getting to the end. I'm still loving it.

I played around with the HDR settings to get a deeper picture while still maintaining bright highlights. Who all is playing on a PC monitor with HDR? What are your HDR settings?
After trying to fine tune everything on my PG27UQ I just ended up with max-min settings and it actually looks pretty good, in my opinion. I tweaked the stops a little from the edges.

Brightness: 16.0
Saturation: 0.9
Min Stops: -8.0
White Point: 1.0
Max Stops: 8.0

I posted the settings I used on my LG C8 on the last page, but I may try starting with the above again.
HDR settings for my LG C8:

Brightness: 11.0
Saturation: 1.0
Min Stops: -4.0
White Point: 0.25
Max Stops: 8.0

I just beat the 1st Marauder enemy...definitely takes some practice getting the parry timing right...luckily his health bar is pretty low...feels like I'm playing a Dark Souls spinoff as far as the challenge/difficulty

My son just beat it and his total playtime was 11 hours on ultra violence. I think I'm going to skip it, I watched him play it, and I'm too old and my reflexes won't allow me to play this.

I'm 51 and feel your pain, but the game is still doable. I bumped it down to the easiest setting after facing the Marauder and have had a better time. Still not "easy", but it's less punishing. I'm going back and replaying missions I missed items on now, and the second time around things are going smoother. It is still a constant requirement to dash, flame, glory kill, chainsaw... all repeatedly, but I don't find myself dying as often. Some engagements do get long and tedious, but I only remember a couple like that. When I was playing on the second to hardest difficulty, I had one arena take me nearly a half hour. Even having a choke point I could slaughter everything in, they just kept coming. It got a bit annoying if honest, but the over-all game was still fun. Not as fun as 2016 imo, but still fun.

ok thanks. What would the normal fov be in games like farcry, rb6 siege etc?
Off hand 85 to 90, I have Doom Eternal at 95, default is 90, I will probably take that up to 100 and maybe 105. Just experiment what works and looks best for you.

sequel to Doom (2016)…Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin, producer and creative director of Doom at id, showed up at the Bethesda E3 press conference to announce Doom Eternal, "an awesome, awesome new sequel to Doom."...

I hate how they gimped the movement speed. I hate the parkour. I hate the level design. And the maurader is a damn joke.

the glory kills are awesome though and learning more about the history of the slayer is cool

I just starting playing the game, so haven't formed an opinion on gameplay yet. But performance is amazing. My signature system which is pretty weak by todays standards (Core i3 2120, 12GB, and my 4GB R7 450 GPU is basically an old 2012 HD7750 with more VRAM) plays this at around 40-50 FPS on my 24" 1366x768 monitor with a combination of tweaked settings. I have shadows at low, water at low, depth of field and motion blur off (never have liked either of these features), and texture pool size at high, and everything else at medium/high. So for anyone on low-end hardware, this game is still quite playable and looks good.

According to GPU-Z I'm using all 4GB of VRAM, apx 500-600MB of Dynamic VRAM, and 5GB of system memory during gameplay.

Edit: Just wanted to add I'm using the December 2019 Adrenaline drivers, not even the updated AMD drivers for Doom Eternal. And I think this game actually performs better then Doom 2016 on my system!

Last edited:
ok thanks. What would the normal fov be in games like farcry, rb6 siege etc?

Depends how the game measures it. Some expose the horizontal fov number (which should grow with aspect ratio) but internally compensate for it, which is kinda wrong and confusing.

Assuming the game is hor+ and scales correctly to widescreen 90 in the menu is probably actually 106 at 16:9.

Since you set it to 106, you probably actually have the equivalent of 121 degrees at 4:3.

I read warnings about the Marauder and how different it is to fight versus the other demons, but damn, I was still surprised and died a few times until I learned its rhythm.

Anybody try Doom 64 yet? (Playing it through Steam). Impressed by its atmosphere and how clean it looks compared to the original N64 version. The title intro sequence with the battle on its logo looked really crisp.

My signature system which is pretty weak by todays standards (Core i3 2120, 12GB, and my 4GB R7 450 GPU is basically an old 2012 HD7750 with more VRAM) plays this at around 40-50 FPS on my 24" 1366x768 monitor with a combination of tweaked settings.
IMPRESSIVE

I hate how they gimped the movement speed. I hate the parkour. I hate the level design. And the maurader is a damn joke.

the glory kills are awesome though and learning more about the history of the slayer is cool

there's a Rune which increases movement speed after a Glory Kill...there's also power-ups scattered around...movement is a bit slower but I don't mind...I guess the developers want you to use the Dash mechanic for that...although I mainly only use Dash for those jumping/platforming puzzles

there's a Rune which increases movement speed after a Glory Kill...there's also power-ups scattered around...movement is a bit slower but I don't mind...I guess the developers want you to use the Dash mechanic for that...although I mainly only use Dash for those jumping/platforming puzzles
I got around the slow movement speed by abusing the meathook on the shotgun. It’s a decent compromise.

Having a blast so far. I LOVE the Doom 2 title screen music. Nice touch!

The visuals and mechanics are all great so far, but I don't like the seemingly scarce ammo. I don't mind doing melee attacks sometimes, but I'm not a big chainsaw guy, and I don't like that I've been forced to use it as much as I have been. Sure, once in a while it's fine, but I want to play the game how I want to play it. Hopefully this becomes a bit less of a thing later on. Maybe after some capacity upgrades or something? I've only played for a few hours, so I'm not all that far in yet. Other than that little gripe, it's great.

The visuals are a bit different. I turned off some of the flashier UI stuff, so it looks a bit more like the 2016 UI. The game graphics are really nice. Playing it on Ultra Nightmare settings. Smooth as silk. I feel like the visuals are a definite improvement. Lots of stuff happening, lots of big things moving around all the time. I love it.

Sound is top notch, but then I expected that.

Excellent game so far. Now if I could just carry a bit more ammo. Doom for me is about shooting, and if I can't shoot, I'm not happy.

I got around the slow movement speed by abusing the meathook on the shotgun. It’s a decent compromise.

I actually hate using that meat hook attachment...I just dislike the mechanic...the Super Shotgun is the weapon I use the least...I love the regular Shotgun with the sticky bomb attachment along with the Plasma Rifle and Heavy Cannon with the precision attachment to take out weak point turrets on enemies

The visuals and mechanics are all great so far, but I don't like the seemingly scarce ammo. I don't mind doing melee attacks sometimes, but I'm not a big chainsaw guy, and I don't like that I've been forced to use it as much as I have been. Sure, once in a while it's fine, but I want to play the game how I want to play it. Hopefully this becomes a bit less of a thing later on. Maybe after some capacity upgrades or something? I've only played for a few hours, so I'm not all that far in yet. Other than that little gripe, it's great.

Excellent game so far. Now if I could just carry a bit more ammo. Doom for me is about shooting, and if I can't shoot, I'm not happy.

if anything it becomes more of a thing...I'm only 5 or so levels in but the mechanics of the game require you to constantly switch between glory kills for health, chainsaw for ammo and flame belch for armor...you're going to constantly be low on those things in every battle...you need to get comfortable with doing that...you do get upgrades later on which increase your total health/armor/ammo but even with that the sheer number of enemies attacking you in the fights are overwhelming...those Slayer Gate challenges are absolutely insane

Last edited:

The visuals are a bit different. I turned off some of the flashier UI stuff, so it looks a bit more like the 2016 UI. The game graphics are really nice. Playing it on Ultra Nightmare settings. Smooth as silk. I feel like the visuals are a definite improvement. Lots of stuff happening, lots of big things moving around all the time. I love it.

Just have to get used to chainsawing the nearest imp or zombie when the chance arises and you'll hardly ever be out of ammo. You have to be aggressive. Really aggressive. Once you get used to the rhythm of the combat, it really feels like the doomslayer properly ripping and tearing :D

You can unlock cheat codes by finding secret floppy discs and one is for infinite ammo. Using them won't halt progression either but it removes the slayer challenges.

Just to add. Get used to dashing a LOT in combat. Dash out to create distance, dash in to get your gory / chainsaw kills, dash to cover if needed. Just remember that the low level demons are just walking sacks of ammo/health/armor waiting for you to tear it out of them at your convenience. :D

Alright, I've effectively completed the game twice now (replayed all the missions to get missed items). I think everyone understands the need to dash, flame, glory kill & chainsaw over and over. Beyond that, here are my tips:

• Complete the Mastery on the Super Shotgun asap. It makes difficult engagements much more manageable as it drops armor on kill (when using Meat hook). I believe this can be done fastest in the Prison on your Base (lowest level).
  • Use the Super Shotgun's Meat hook to get out of tight spots quickly.
  • Equip the Saving Throw Rune; it saves you a death, then slows time for a few seconds so you can line up a Glory Kill, or Blood Punch for Health. May even save you a single 1UP, but I need to verify that yet.
  • Flame, then Blood Punch or Grenade large mobs. It will drop loads of Armor and Health.
  • If you get overwhelmed in a fight, pull up your Weapon Wheel. It will slow time as long as it is up and you can still look around, albeit slowly. Allowed me to form a quick plan / escape when things got out of hand.
The Marauder is probably my least favorite enemy. He is not horrible if you have some room to move and some trash mobs to farm, but in close quarters with no mobs he can be a headache. The Secret Encounter in Mission 8 or 9 is a good example; it gives you a minute to defeat him with only 2 zombies present. I died a dozen times I think. Managed to kill him as the time ran out once but it didn't count it. You can get in 2 Super Shotty hits when his eyes flash green. It takes 8 hits on Easy and 10 hits on Nightmare. Be mindful of the Hound he spawns, as it is relentless; you can flame it for Armor like any other enemy.

Last edited:
Oh, and also, took a few quick screen shots, may try HUDless later.

Books.jpg

The bottom shelf is interesting. It contains a reference to every (successful) game that started off on an Id Game Engine

Home-World.jpg

Some of the Worlds are gorgeous

Ship.jpg

Waterfall.jpg

Last edited:
Back