Doom Eternal

Front page of IGN right now:
1584639117391.png

Doom Eternal tweak guide

an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650, a $150 graphics card and the bottom of our test bench, managed to run Doom Eternal at a respectable 1080p and 60 frames per second with nearly every setting maxed out...the only limit most people are liable to run into? VRAM...the more you have, the better—and you're going to need at least 8GB to take in every visual bell and whistle Doom Eternal has to offer...

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-best-settings/

For 4K at 60 FPS. Why salty?
Do you know that the game doesn't have requirements for more CPU grunt as settings increase?

I'll grant that they could just be playing along, but they could also be serious.

In case any of you still had it in your head that you needed a 9900k to get the most out of this game on Ultra Nightmare. Using Idtech 7! Using Vulkan!

Results using a 5.0 Ghz 8700k.
Screenshot_20200319-190020_YouTube.jpg

In case any of you still had it in your head that you needed a 9900k to get the most out of this game on Ultra Nightmare. Using Idtech 7! Using Vulkan!

there are certain people here who upgrade GPU's/CPU's every single time a new one is released...I think they hate hearing that you don't need a 2080Ti for 88% of games (unless you're gaming at 4K)...the 1st gen RTX cards were a prototype for ray-tracing...it's only with the 2nd gen RTX cards where you'll start to see more games and better implementation of it

for a lot of people upgrading every generation has nothing to do with not being able to afford it...it has more to do with being smart and looking at the current gaming landscape...I wish more developers would use Vulkan...both Eternal and Doom 2016 are so well optimized across a wide variety of hardware

Last edited:
As meh as i was about this, i had cash in my steam wallet so i just bought it. Curious to try out on my 2080 Super build now.

Just pre-loaded the 37.7gb download, it unlocks for play at 9PM PST.

there are certain people here who upgrade GPU's/CPU's every single time a new one is released...I think they hate hearing that you don't need a 2080Ti for 88% of games (unless you're gaming at 4K)...the 1st gen RTX cards were a prototype for ray-tracing...it's only with the 2nd gen RTX cards where you'll start to see more games and better implementation of it

for a lot of people upgrading every generation has nothing to do with not being able to afford it...it has more to do with being smart and looking at the current gaming landscape...I wish more developers would use Vulkan...both Eternal and Doom 2016 are so well optimized across a wide variety of hardware

It has more to do with the game engine, but yeah Vulkan typically does well.

My criticism towards the CPU requirements was originally towards the developers recommendations being a 9900k. This is a disservice to potential PC gamers that heard of the game as it is big news, but may not know much about hardware.

The game scaled nicely with GPU performance going from 65 fps on the RX 580 all the way to 180 fps of the 2080ti. So even if a 2080ti is maxing out a 5.0 ghz 8700k (which I doubt), it really needs about 1/3 that CPU performance to hit 60 fps.

I wouldn't be surprised if even the One X hits 60 fps with many of these Nightmare settings at something like 1800p, which is what it does with Wolfenstein 2.

IDtech 7 is a beast.

As long as my 2950x and new 2080Ti can handle 4k 'good settings' around 90+ FPS, I'll be happy.

I never preload games as I have a fast internet connection...plus when you preload unpacking takes an annoyingly long time

6 minutes till unlock!

I never preload games as I have a fast internet connection...plus when you preload unpacking takes an annoyingly long time

6 minutes till unlock!

Hmm never realized i had to do that. Not too bad though. 6 minutes to unpack 37.7gb file on my 9700k /2tb NVME ssd setup.

So i just played through the first 30 minutes. Typical doom frenzy, fun stuff but im already bored. But the game ran incredible, i want to say 125FPS+ @ it highest graphical setting preset @ 2560x1440 *ULTRA NIGHTMARE*.

my current system

[email protected]
16GB @3200mhz
2TB Silicon Power NVME SSD
2080 Super

but to me, the game looks, i dont know how to put it, outdated????? It just didnt look sharp *shrugs*

Graphical fidelity in store for console gamers. All screenshots take at 1440p:
Screenshot_20200319-213937_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20200319-213947_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20200319-213924_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20200319-213915_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20200319-213954_YouTube.jpg

Not sure of graphical settings, but man, does the OneX look good. I wouldn't be surprised if they were Nightmarish as even the RX 580 was able to hit 65 fps avg at 1440p.

All consoles were able to hold 60 fps except the base Xbox which dropped around the 6:00 mark. The One S may have enough grunt to hold 60 fps as it has a slightly faster gpu.

Last edited:
Ok, my performance is massively fucked up.

Like sub 30 (!) FPS after I dropped into the city 10 minutes into the game on a overclocked 6700k and GTX 1080. Lowest possible settings didn't even get me to 50.

I don't think my CPU is that shitty yet...

Attachments

• 20200320014047_1.jpg
    20200320014047_1.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 0
Have the latest, but I fixed it

It was either the steam or nvidia overlay. Disabled them and literally went from like under 30 fps to 95 fps at that same place.

Attachments

• Doom Eternal Screenshot 2020.03.20 - 02.13.13.79.png
    Doom Eternal Screenshot 2020.03.20 - 02.13.13.79.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
graphics look a bit worse overall compared to Doom 2016 (Doom 2016 gave you multiple Rendering Options and I played it on Gritty which made the image really pop)...performance is excellent...with my GTX 1070 at 1440p I have everything maxed out and easily get 90+ fps...not the 120+ fps from Doom 2016 but still excellent...I like that pretty much every graphics setting has an Ultra Nightmare option unlike Doom 2016 where only 2 settings had it (Shadow Details and Virtual Texturing Page Size)

some things I don't like...

1) I hate that you can't equip the Chainsaw as a separate weapon...you can only use it to make a quick swipe on an enemy...the 2016 Doom did it much better
2) ammo runs out super quick in the 1st level...I hope this is not a thing all the way through the game

Last edited:
Have the latest, but I fixed it

It was either the steam or nvidia overlay. Disabled them and literally went from like under 30 fps to 95 fps at that same place.
I'm having the performance issue and I'm not running any overlays. The game will start out running in the 90s. As soon as I open a menu the game stays locked at 45 FPS until I restart the game. Using the newest driver.

graphics look a bit worse overall compared to Doom 2016 (Doom 2016 gave you multiple Rendering Options and I played it on Gritty which made the image really pop)...

Visuals look a lot better after I disabled Film Grain (default setting was 25)...now it looks closer to Doom 2016

here's a link to better quality pics...the [H] forum software compresses screenshots badly...

https://abload.de/image.php?img=20gke9.png
https://abload.de/image.php?img=38ok9q.png
https://abload.de/image.php?img=41sj4v.png
https://abload.de/image.php?img=546ko3.png
https://abload.de/image.php?img=1jpjjp.png

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.png
    4.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 5.png
    5.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1.png
    1.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's not just menus. My CPU is usage is apparently shitting the bed at random times. I can fix it by changing a video setting and applying it and it will be good for a small amount of time until shit hits the fan again. The game is otherwise running 80-90 FPS at 4K with all Ultra Nightmare settings.

It's not just menus. My CPU is usage is apparently shitting the bed at random times. I can fix it by changing a video setting and applying it and it will be good for a small amount of time until shit hits the fan again. The game is otherwise running 80-90 FPS at 4K with all Ultra Nightmare settings.

I'm not sure if it applies to Turing cards but I hear the newest Nvidia drivers perform worse then the last official set (at least for Pascal cards)...which is why I stuck with the 442.59 driver

I'm not sure if it applies to Turing cards but I hear the newest Nvidia drivers perform worse then the last official set (at least for Pascal cards)...which is why I stuck with the 442.59 driver
It's something to do with V-Sync. If I turn it off it runs at a near constant 130 FPS. If I turn on any type of V-Sync it acts like it's double buffered even though I have G-Sync turned on. Whenever that happens, though, the CPU graph on the in-game metrics gets pegged red and the game gets locked to 45 FPS. The 130 FPS would normally be fine, but I'm running my monitor at 98 Hz to use full RGB with HDR and the tearing is already driving me nuts. I'm going to try the FPS limiter without V-Sync to get rid of the tearing, so hopefully that will work. If not I'll try rolling back to the previous driver.

For those that have purchased the game and are currently playing it, is it worth buying??? Contemplating buying it.

Grabbed Doom64 since it was $6.50 here in Canada. Man is it ever weird not being able to jump or even look around. I had thought they were going to spruce it up a bit but it seems to be the same game. Always loved the level designs in Doom and how you're just thrown in to both survive and figure out how to get out; no big arrows flashing to move to the next spot or any of that BS.

Probably won't get much time to play it today (I really AM working at home), but I noticed that the game has some nice built-in HDR options. Too many games require the Windows 10 toggle, but a few (like the ones from Capcom), don't. Those also tend to be the games with lots of additional tweaks and options.

It's stupid that I even care, but I hate how blurry the Bethesda Launcher is. It's fixable if you change the DPI settings, but that also affects all of the games you launch from it. I don't know why they don't bother to fix that.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Enjoy the game, but after installing the game plus new Nvidia drivers my monitor goes black for a second or so and then back again. This only happens in other games and not Doom. Only happens at loading screens in the other games or when exiting a game. Using the PC in my sig. Any ideas?

The game is running great for me but be careful bumping up the difficulty... I was getting my ass handed to me so I stepped it down a notch.

Back