DOOM Doomed?

Finally got to play last night (bought collectors edition)

game is great, it's a mix of old school creep through corridors and then hyperactive room overflowing with demons. The mix is pretty good. There is also a lot of the Doom 3 interface floating around.

Complaints:
1) append this command to the launch string "+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1" , the game will hang on "press any key to continue"
2) It's a bit clean but i'm okay with that, means the janitors were working extra shifts.

Notes:
1) I run a dual AMD 290X 8GBi Dual Dissipation XFX setup and the game is running at 120 fps on ultra settings. I'm not sure the crossfire is kicking in (need to test) but this game doesn't stress video hardware and still looks great. Me thinks they had good coders.
2) The lack of overpowering darkness I'm okay with. Squinting down corridors gets old at a point.

My machine has doom,doom2,doom3,doom 2016,Quake,Quake 2,quake 3 all installed and I would rate Doom 2016 in the top 4 so far. The game plays well good pace, nice exploration, and the mix of stalking and kinetic styles is done really well. Also the levels are huge.

Did they get away from the "turn out the lights and have monsters jump out of hidden closets" motif?

they need to fix choosing a resolution soon,
my monitor(s) run a
5760x2160
2.67:1
24/9

and I have to run at 1920x1080 but I get to see the same image 6 times :(

I seem to have the CTD issue as well. Only started in the second half of the game. Doesn't matter if I'm running on High or Low, it randomly crashes to the desktop without warning.

The game is beautiful and fun, but I find it getting repetitive in the second half where it really does begin to feel you're just moving from one arena to the next. They seemed to mask it better in the first half of the game.

The game is awesome. Does a great job of making you feel like a badass. (Kill an imp with the berserker pickup!) I think they did a fantastic job with this game. Even the menus feel "right".

they need to fix choosing a resolution soon,
my monitor(s) run a
5760x2160
2.67:1
24/9

and I have to run at 1920x1080 but I get to see the same image 6 times :(

There's bound to be a .cfg file somewhere within the game's installation that you can modify to fix this. A few older id Software titles had the same issue for me with achieving 2560x1440 resolution.

Love the game except for the random crashes to desktop with no error message what so ever. I tried some of the fixes for skipping the intro movies and stuff but it still happens. Really kills the mood for the game as it always happens during combat.

Why are people so worked up over review embargoes still these days? Most of the time they are very biased and don't even get to put in the right amount of time to get a good review of a game... plus you can see for yourself on twitch with people usually streaming prior to the actual release date most of the time.

I'm begging to believe they didn't release the game for review to prevent any hype. By releasing it with no reviews there was no build up of expectations and the only positive press now is positive for the right reasons.

I think we will see more of that with AAA titles that have a name with a legacy.

The combination of no pre-release reviews, BUT pre-purchasing option baffles me, maybe I'm too old.

I do like what DICE did with pre-release time limited Demos & of Star Wars and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. At least you have a good idea if you like it or not. Doom's demo however, was not inspiring.

So far I've been enjoying Doom very much. Best game I've played in quite a while. Everyone I know who has played it has enjoyed it as well. I try to buy games based on how the game play looks in videos instead of what reviews say so when it was announced that review copies wouldn't be going out until launch day I didn't care. Now I've been hearing that some reviews of Doom aren't the greatest and I could care less about that, too. I haven't even bothered to read them because there is no need now. If a game looks like it's something you'd enjoy and you're willing to spend the cash on it then go for it. Reviews don't mean squat in the end. It's all about how you enjoy the game.

There's bound to be a .cfg file somewhere within the game's installation that you can modify to fix this. A few older id Software titles had the same issue for me with achieving 2560x1440 resolution.

Finally got it to work, had to change the display ratio and then it would let me choose the full size.

talk about 15fps with everything turned up.... (8GBi textures to)

I attached a screen shot with the nightmare fps meter showing

Attachments

• 20160519201924_1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
MSI Afterburner seems to be the cause of my performance issues and random lockups/freezing and CTDs.

Stopped using it in favor of driver's modest overclock. I swear I get more consistent perfrmnce and haven't had a lock up since. Knock on wood

BTW I'm running on an old 6970

So far I've been enjoying Doom very much. Best game I've played in quite a while. Everyone I know who has played it has enjoyed it as well. I try to buy games based on how the game play looks in videos instead of what reviews say so when it was announced that review copies wouldn't be going out until launch day I didn't care. Now I've been hearing that some reviews of Doom aren't the greatest and I could care less about that, too. I haven't even bothered to read them because there is no need now. If a game looks like it's something you'd enjoy and you're willing to spend the cash on it then go for it. Reviews don't mean squat in the end. It's all about how you enjoy the game.

I agree with what you have said. The single player videos are what sold me. I see many people really enjoying the game, it is good see it come back but have a nostalgic feel to it with modern visuals. I read one review and I agreed with some points and disagreed then went back to enjoying my experience of the game.

Last edited:
I have one question - Do the enemies fight each other? That was one of the best aspects of Doom/Doom2, running around in a room or area full of baddies and having them hit/shoot each other and do the work for you.

If they don't fight each other then id really dropped the ball.

I have one question - Do the enemies fight each other? That was one of the best aspects of Doom/Doom2, running around in a room or area full of baddies and having them hit/shoot each other and do the work for you.

Yes, I first saw it happen in Hell

They do. I've only seen it happen a few times but that could be because I don't try to make them fight like other Doom players do.

Yep, saw it in hell. Just a bunch of bigger dudes shooting each other while i watched from the sidelines.

Due to the review embargo, I was very much against this game. The videos made it look just mediocre. After it was released, people raved about it. I bought it and I love it. I was completely wrong with assuming the embargo was due to a shitty game.

Why'd they do that review embargo, anyway?

Due to the review embargo, I was very much against this game. The videos made it look just mediocre. After it was released, people raved about it. I bought it and I love it. I was completely wrong with assuming the embargo was due to a shitty game.

Why'd they do that review embargo, anyway?

I would guess after the DOOM multiplayer got panned they decided to stop all reviews and let word of mouth carry the game. By the embargo they knew all the reviewers would pan it, and peoples expectations for a AAA launch would be greatly lowered. Then the game would rest more on it's merits than peoples expectations of a Doom title. Got to say great decision on their part. I think more legacy games (games with a name that overpowers the game like half-life) should follow a similar playbook.

i5-3470
2 GB GTX770
16GB ram

yay or nay?

Works fine on my i7-2600K/AMD 7950/16GB RAM. Should be fine on yours. Don't expect Ultra or Nightmare @ 4K, though! :) (hey, some people do!). My kid has an i5-2400 and an AMD 7770 and it runs decent (I won't go as far to say it runs good, but it's definitely playable). Not as pretty as others, though.

Works fine on my i7-2600K/AMD 7950/16GB RAM. Should be fine on yours. Don't expect Ultra or Nightmare @ 4K, though! :) (hey, some people do!). My kid has an i5-2400 and an AMD 7770 and it runs decent (I won't go as far to say it runs good, but it's definitely playable). Not as pretty as others, though.
Duly noted. Graphics are great and all, but I prefer overall gameplay. I still find myself replaying Half-Life on occasion. Good to know. Thanks.

cdkeys caused both of my credit cards to get cancelled because of fraud. They need to lower the price in Steam.

cdkeys caused both of my credit cards to get cancelled because of fraud. They need to lower the price in Steam.
Really, how did that come about? Like, did they detect it as an odd transaction? or did someone got your card info afterwards and made purchases?

Really, how did that come about? Like, did they detect it as an odd transaction? or did someone got your card info afterwards and made purchases?

Shady reseller of stolen keys is why.

Green Man has had good deals for quite a while, and are a reputable key seller. I got the game for $45 and it was worth every cent. It would have been worth $60 and I would have paid that much had I not already had the Green Man code in my inbox. Kinda hard to resist.

That sucks, I have had nothing but good luck with them.

Like Time2Kill said, though, I've only ever used PayPal.

Dude, that's like answering, because I owned good stuff, when asked "How'd you get robbed?"

Eh, sorry but anyone that didn't know CDKEYS was a shady key seller has been living under a rock.

That's not a morality call. That just means you take your chances with those kinds of key sites. Don't gamble if you're unprepared to lose.

I'm not saying they aren't a gray market, I was merely inquiring as to the problem being the order it self or if something happened afterwards.

g2a had it for like $41. I think I've bought games from there without any issues. Someone else could probably confirm.

Auto-failed because of the vendor name - so obviously they have a rep with the CC companies.

Auto-failed because of the vendor name - so obviously they have a rep with the CC companies.

I've had orders from Greenmangaming freeze my credit card on a couple of occasions. When I called, they told me it got automatically flagged because it's overseas and has gaming in the vendor name-- suspicious for illegal overseas gambling. It had nothing to do with GMG's reputation with the CC company. I've never used CDKEYS so I can't speak to their reputation.

Ah... that's weird... usually they just decline, rather than outright kill your card. I guess it got really bad.

Back