Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Has anyone heard how big this is going to be? I'm afraid it will follow in the footsteps of Wolfenstein and clock in around 50GB. It wouldn't be a problem if I had access to decent broadband, but I'm stuck on a rural DSL line.

I seem to recall it being a big step forward graphically but there were a lot of complaints about the flashlight mechanics and monster closets everywhere. I would say it was good, not great, but IMO of course.

I think there is maybe 30 seconds of actual game play where the flashlight is even needed. There are monster closets, but not nearly as many as people seem to remember. Not denying they're there, because they are. It's not nearly as prevalent though. It's not like you take a few steps and another one pops open. There are plenty of enemies roaming around at any given time. They crawl out of vents, drop from above, pop out from underneath floor tiles, and yes, there are some closets. The game though is very good. It borrows mechanics from System Shock, and while it doesn't pull them off quite like the Shock games, it does a good job. The graphics are gorgeous. Huge machines, intricate structures, etc. It's really a good game even by today's standards. I still play it frequently.

This is the last game really of 2016 I'm holding out for for the first half of this year.

I seem to recall it being a big step forward graphically but there were a lot of complaints about the flashlight mechanics and monster closets everywhere. I would say it was good, not great, but IMO of course.

But monster closets is what makes it DOOM ...

But monster closets is what makes it DOOM ...

Not really...Doom was more about, open a door, zombies and demons everywhere. Press a button, a door opens slowly, oh shit it's a Cyberdemon....stuff like that, in a larger, open environment where you had to dodge rockets and strafe enemies and whatnot. Doom 3 ended up being all about darkness and cheap jump scares with monsters busting through the floors and shit in tight quarters. It was a lot more like Resident Evil than Doom or Doom II.

So, in that respect, this new Doom SP is looking a lot more like the original Doom and Doom II than Doom 3, which IMO is a good thing.

Man I remember when DOOM 3 first came out. I still remember how blown away I was from the graphics.

It hasn't really lost much of that. I'm still impressed by most of it. Sure polygon counts are a little lower, some textures are a bit lower, but the overall design is still very impressive.

It hasn't really lost much of that. I'm still impressed by most of it. Sure polygon counts are a little lower, some textures are a bit lower, but the overall design is still very impressive.

I have been replaying Doom 3 lately on my HTPC. Still super fun and scary at times. Love the atmosphere, sounds... I really hope the new Doom doesn't stray too far from this formula. Looking forward to a awesome new campaign. I still can't get over how awesome the Plasma Rifle is in Doom 3. Especially the loading sounds and when you are firing. Having the volume and bass turned up and playing with the Plasma Rifle is great.

I have been replaying Doom 3 lately on my HTPC. Still super fun and scary at times. Love the atmosphere, sounds... I really hope the new Doom doesn't stray too far from this formula. Looking forward to a awesome new campaign. I still can't get over how awesome the Plasma Rifle is in Doom 3. Especially the loading sounds and when you are firing. Having the volume and bass turned up and playing with the Plasma Rifle is great.

You can edit one of the weapon def files and turn on the light emissions of the plasma. They may have turned those off for performance reasons, but it's pretty cool with them on. Adds a bit more dynamic light to things when you use it.

maybe that's because they're trying to beat it using a gamepad smh
That 1 hour playthrough demo/interview was so painful to watch. Missing headshot after headshot or blasting imps in the legs with a shotgun...and he's a lead developer too.

When they turn this loose on the PC community, I fully expect someone to beat Ultra-Nightmare difficulty within a week or two.

That 1 hour playthrough demo/interview was so painful to watch. Missing headshot after headshot or blasting imps in the legs with a shotgun...and he's a lead developer too.

When they turn this loose on the PC community, I fully expect someone to beat Ultra-Nightmare difficulty within a week or two.

Agreed! I will occasionally play shooters with a pad when I want to sit on the couch, but if I'm seriously in FPS mood, that is SO unappealing. I usually try to limit it to something more forgiving too, like say Borderlands where I can find a weapon to suit playing with a pad. I could play RAGE decently well with a pad too, but when I wanted to make any real progress, I'd sit down at my main PC and do it right. It really is hard to watch that too. Player doing some kind of side-shuffle only to hit someone in the kneecap, but even then only by mistake. :D

Agreed! I will occasionally play shooters with a pad when I want to sit on the couch, but if I'm seriously in FPS mood, that is SO unappealing. I usually try to limit it to something more forgiving too, like say Borderlands where I can find a weapon to suit playing with a pad. I could play RAGE decently well with a pad too, but when I wanted to make any real progress, I'd sit down at my main PC and do it right. It really is hard to watch that too. Player doing some kind of side-shuffle only to hit someone in the kneecap, but even then only by mistake. :D
I hope people don't get me wrong. I seem like I'm condemning all people playing FPS with gamepads. Most gamepad players are terrible, but not all. I've seen a few that are amazing. There's a couple guys in my BF4 clan that transitioned from consoles to PC and they are god's with those thumbsticks.

I hope people don't get me wrong. I seem like I'm condemning all people playing FPS with gamepads. Most gamepad players are terrible, but not all. I've seen a few that are amazing. There's a couple guys in my BF4 clan that transitioned from consoles to PC and they are god's with those thumbsticks.

I've know a couple of them. I'm ok. I'm good enough to get by in a single-player or co-op FPS if I'm feeling the lazy call of the couch. But I'd never play deathmatch or anything competitive using a pad. I'm just not that good with it, and don't feel like I want to put in the effort to get that good with one when I can just sit down with the M+K. But yeah, one of the guys I knew played all his shooters that way, and was REALLY good.

It'll still happen, but:

The new Ultra-Nightmare setting is Doom’s punishing Nightmare mode with a permadeath twist. Screw up once, and you’re dead and back at the beginning of the game, leaving only your helmet as a marker of your progress.

Damn.

Man I remember when DOOM 3 first came out. I still remember how blown away I was from the graphics.

Yeah me too. I look at this new one and its so underwhelming, even a bit cartoonish imo.

Modded Doom 3
Doom3-3.jpg

3173e082_doom_3___4_by_tomyum72-d55nnb4.jpeg

Last edited:
What mod is that? I don't remember Doom 3 looking that good, even modded.

I think that there was a thread on Doom 3 gfx mods at one point, but I don't remember it looking THAT good either. Want to play.

Something tells me modded Doom 3 is only impressive in still frames, and quirky and outdated in motion

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
What mod is that? I don't remember Doom 3 looking that good, even modded.

Probably Sikkmod with Wulfen Textures, you can find all of them at ModDB.com.

As far as the game in motion, yes it takes quite a bit of tweaking but imo it's worth it if you want the experience. Have played Doom 3 with these mods and it's definitely a great experience. Just be ready to take the time to tweak settings.

Here is a link:
Absolute HD Mod for Doom III

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Most people hated Doom 3 for years for one reason or another "...omgz0rz demon closet simulator flashlight fbndSJHFKLASFHKJashfsafsfljgf..."...now that Doom 4 is coming out everyone everyone sees Doom 3 thru rose colored glasses.

25 percent off thanks to GMG = no brainer for me. I'm in. If the SP delivers that's what I care about. Anything past that is bonus.

I wonder if the map editing allows you to use the classic Doom assets.

I'll be the first to beat the new Doom on ultra nightmare difficulty level when it comes out. I'll do the game run in under 24 hours. Wish me luck.
Will you eat your hat live on stream if you don't?

Just know now that you said that we're all going to be alerting and tagging you on these forums after the deadline is up ;).

Well, I bit. I mean, it's Doom! This game started my passion for PC gaming. I hope/think the single player will be fun. That's mostly what I am after here.

It's getting a bit more difficult for me to wait the closer it gets to release. I wonder when GMG keys will go out for pre-loading (if at all.) I've only bought a few keys from them as I prefer to get them directly through Steam most of the time, so I haven't gotten a decent idea of this yet.

Yeah it's a bother to Hover around the site and having them raise the price at the last second. I used to get a Discount on Steam Cards at work 10% off so it wasn't a big deal. If I could go back in time I would go with CD Keys.

now use it open the door of the same colour... let us know when you get to the supershot gun, picking that up is a bit tricky and you'll need all the help you can get :p

now use it open the door of the same colour... let us know when you get to the supershot gun, picking that up is a bit tricky and you'll need all the help you can get :p

So... uhh... you guarding Blue Key?

Yep! Just guardin' it.

I only saw like 4 seconds of the SP trailer and stopped ... I don't want to spoil anything!!! Just enough to see it's worth buying.

It's a shame that the MP is so bad...the SP looks super awesome.

EDIT: Eh, it's like $35 on cdkeys.com...fuck it, SP looks badass.

Back