Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Played 1 multiplayer match and uninstalled. Was hoping for something similar to Q3/Painkiller but the movement is SO SLOW and time to kill is so high that the game is just ridiculous boring.

I found it to be fun. It's definitely not the old Doom. It's not Quake. It's some mixture of the two, with some other elements thrown in. Not a fan of the loadouts. Hoping (without much hope) that they make that optional. However, I had quite a bit of fun playing it. People can hate it all they like.

Hate, if you want to hate
If it keeps you safe
If it makes you brave

It's not 1995. It's not 1999. It's not 2004. It's 2016. Games are different now. We can adapt and have fun with them, or be continually bummed out that we aren't playing any games. I've said this before, but if they made it just like the old ones, nobody would buy it. Sad, but that's how things are now. They seem to be trying (and being MODERATELY (though not overly) successful) at balancing some of the old with some of the new.

IMO what it needs is MORE OPTIONS. Have modes with floor weapons. Have modes with loadouts. Have a speed slider in the setup for a match. Let the players decide how fast they want things to move. It's been done before. Add more graphics options for us. The core is good.

I also think the visuals are good. People seem to be bashing on it quite a bit, but it looks good. There's not a lot out right now that looks any better. It's not the jump from Quake 3 to Doom 3. I think we can all agree that this isn't going to happen, and Carmack isn't coming back. Yes, there are better looking games out there, but not some ungodly amount. I guess I'm weird, and maybe a last holdout fan of what's still left of id (there's more of them left than many like to admit it seems) but there we are. I like RAGE. I like the little that I've played of this Doom beta (though it needs polishing and tightening FOR SURE.)

I argue these points all the time, but I think that if people just learn to adapt, they could have a bit more fun.

(I actually do understand having some disappointment that big and in many cases unwanted changes have been made to a classic franchise. I'm not blind to that. I admit there are changes that don't make sense to me as a player of everything id's done from Commander Keen up to now. However, to hate this game before it's released, and only because it doesn't have a Carmackian Leap in graphics tech, and has modernized many features to fit into the current gaming ecosystem seems a bit silly to me.) If you let all that go, and just play it, it doesn't feel too bad. They need to tighten up the mouse though.

Anyway...

Played 1 multiplayer match and uninstalled. Was hoping for something similar to Q3/Painkiller but the movement is SO SLOW and time to kill is so high that the game is just ridiculous boring.

This exactly, the super shot gun is honestly the only weapon worth using.

Same here, uninstalled it after one match. The revenant powerup is what killed me most of the time and I found the TDM game mode to be rather slow paced. I got disconnected while editing my appearance after that first game as well.

I found it to be fun. It's definitely not the old Doom. It's not Quake. It's some mixture of the two, with some other elements thrown in. Not a fan of the loadouts. Hoping (without much hope) that they make that optional. However, I had quite a bit of fun playing it. People can hate it all they like.

Hate, if you want to hate
If it keeps you safe
If it makes you brave

It's not 1995. It's not 1999. It's not 2004. It's 2016. Games are different now. We can adapt and have fun with them, or be continually bummed out that we aren't playing any games. I've said this before, but if they made it just like the old ones, nobody would buy it. Sad, but that's how things are now. They seem to be trying (and being MODERATELY (though not overly) successful) at balancing some of the old with some of the new.

IMO what it needs is MORE OPTIONS. Have modes with floor weapons. Have modes with loadouts. Have a speed slider in the setup for a match. Let the players decide how fast they want things to move. It's been done before. Add more graphics options for us. The core is good.

I also think the visuals are good. People seem to be bashing on it quite a bit, but it looks good. There's not a lot out right now that looks any better. It's not the jump from Quake 3 to Doom 3. I think we can all agree that this isn't going to happen, and Carmack isn't coming back. Yes, there are better looking games out there, but not some ungodly amount. I guess I'm weird, and maybe a last holdout fan of what's still left of id (there's more of them left than many like to admit it seems) but there we are. I like RAGE. I like the little that I've played of this Doom beta (though it needs polishing and tightening FOR SURE.)

I argue these points all the time, but I think that if people just learn to adapt, they could have a bit more fun.

(I actually do understand having some disappointment that big and in many cases unwanted changes have been made to a classic franchise. I'm not blind to that. I admit there are changes that don't make sense to me as a player of everything id's done from Commander Keen up to now. However, to hate this game before it's released, and only because it doesn't have a Carmackian Leap in graphics tech, and has modernized many features to fit into the current gaming ecosystem seems a bit silly to me.) If you let all that go, and just play it, it doesn't feel too bad. They need to tighten up the mouse though.

Anyway...

Everything you have said can basically be distilled down to accepting it for what it is and trying to otherwise derive enjoyment from a mediocre product. Whilst that may be an acceptable proposition depending on how starved you are for entertainment, from my perspective (and probably others) I don't need to waste my limited time on an MP experience which is going to be on life support 3 months after release or reward the devs/publishers for cashing in on nostalgia with a halfhearted product which omits staple features. The fact they thought this was good enough is demonstrable of the apathy Bethesda holds for its customers on PC. The SP campaign may well be a noteworthy experience, especially given that MP was farmed out to a console studio, but I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to pay full or near retail price with the expectation of deriving much entertainment out of MP.

Everything you have said can basically be distilled down to accepting it for what it is and trying to otherwise derive enjoyment from a mediocre product. Whilst that may be an acceptable proposition depending on how starved you are for entertainment, from my perspective (and probably others) I don't need to waste my limited time on an MP experience which is going to be on life support 3 months after release or reward the devs/publishers for cashing in on nostalgia with a halfhearted product which omits staple features. The fact they thought this was good enough is demonstrable of the apathy Bethesda holds for its customers on PC. The SP campaign may well be a noteworthy experience, especially given that MP was farmed out to a console studio, but I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to pay full or near retail price with the expectation of deriving much entertainment out of MP.

SP is actually the reason I buy a Doom game. MP will get some use here and there with friends/family, but yeah, that honestly isn't my focus where this game is concerned. Also not saying anyone is wrong in their own opinions. I just disagree on a lot of it. I'm also not saying one needs to "derive" enjoyment. What I'm saying is basically (in distilled form) good luck finding an experience like we used to from any studio. Games are shifting, not just id games. It's the way things are headed. I would also prefer they weren't going this way, but at this point in time, I think we may as well get used to it. Nobody is going to release a perfect Quake 3/Doom1-2 style experience. If one wants that, it will have to actually BE Q3A or Doom, or Q1, Q2, whatever your favorite is.

It doesn't matter how bad it is, I'm probably still going to play the single player mission ... that's what DOOM is for.

It doesn't matter how bad it is, I'm probably still going to play the single player mission ... that's what DOOM is for.

Same here, I just want the single player.

I played Doom 1 and 2 over dialup modem, just me and my buddy 1 vs 1.

Played tons of the Quake series, logging into servers and playing big matches. This is new, this is cool.

Prepare to play Doom 3 in 2004, expect nothing short of the most amazing graphics and online multiplayer. Discover the multiplayer is shit compared to quake, 4 player rooms, it is garbage.

Fast forward to 2016, and I can't help but chuckle at seeing all the multiplayer complaints. The trick is to not get unreasonable expectations. With Doom your multiplayer expectations should be slightly above zero.

I hated the multiplayer open beta but I'm not in it for the multiplayer, single player is where its at. I hope I can still use idkfa and iddqd for old school kicks.

Everyone that I talked to that played the beta this weekend either a) couldn't play because of crashing issues or b) hated the multiplayer but is looking forward to trying the single player.

Everyone that I talked to that played the beta this weekend either a) couldn't play because of crashing issues or b) hated the multiplayer but is looking forward to trying the single player.

Here's one that thinks the MP has potential, but is still in it for the SP. (I thought the MP was fun, but needed some adjustments. I could see myself and a group of friends enjoying it in a private capacity. Can't wait to grab it.

Hmm... I was just looking through the videos on Steam again, and watched one that appears to be single player. There is a "weapon wheel" ala Wolfenstein: The New Order. So at the very least, in SP, you can carry tons of weapons. I'm wondering if they only made the loadouts available for the Beta, and just maybe are optional to the game type? Unless they are flat-out lying, (and I'm not saying they are one way or the other) I've seen them saying things like "classic id arena play" and such. So either a lot has changed in a very short time, or we saw just a portion. Of course I'm being optimistic here, (I always am with id, and have yet to be disappointed,) but it's got me wondering what is and isn't in the final game. I'm also wondering when they created this beta, and how much has changed since. The reason being, it's only a month until release. Not a lot of time to make any major changes based on feedback. So, did they make this MP beta several months back when there wasn't as much content?

id Software has posted a list of PC exclusive features that gamers will be able to tweak...

"PC gaming is in our DNA here at id. Just like so many of you, we also love to tinker with settings to get the exact experience we want – and every ounce of performance our systems can handle...we will be running an uncapped framerate on PC at launch, supporting ultra-wide 21:9 monitors, allowing wider FOV, and providing a wide variety of advanced settings that allows any PC connoisseur the opportunity to make intelligent tradeoffs between visual fidelity and performance...

Bethesda.net

id Software has posted a list of PC exclusive features that gamers will be able to tweak...

"PC gaming is in our DNA here at id. Just like so many of you, we also love to tinker with settings to get the exact experience we want – and every ounce of performance our systems can handle...we will be running an uncapped framerate on PC at launch, supporting ultra-wide 21:9 monitors, allowing wider FOV, and providing a wide variety of advanced settings that allows any PC connoisseur the opportunity to make intelligent tradeoffs between visual fidelity and performance...

Bethesda.net

Nice!

Yeah, something's been telling me they wouldn't screw everyone on this one. (obviously some of the MP is still up in the air, but this is good news)

MP was farmed out to a console studio
I didn't realize this until the other day... certainly explains complaints about it feeling like Halo or COD... it was apparently developed by the same people who worked on those ones, so of course they'd go that route, why fix what ain't broke :p

This at least leaves a little more room for hope about SP, knowing that's the part of the game id worked solely on...

I didn't realize this until the other day... certainly explains complaints about it feeling like Halo or COD... it was apparently developed by the same people who worked on those ones, so of course they'd go that route, why fix what ain't broke :p

This at least leaves a little more room for hope about SP, knowing that's the part of the game id worked solely on...

Yeah IF that is true then it makes a lot of sense. Hopefully SP will be good but I can't see paying anywhere near full price for half a game.

Yeah IF that is true then it makes a lot of sense. Hopefully SP will be good but I can't see paying anywhere near full price for half a game.
Check out cdkeysDOTcom $34.99 that's more than 40% off.
I too played the multiplayer and think it sucked. Not enough freedom of movement. Miss the rocket jump from the old Doom 3 game. I will probably buy it for the SP action as the MP is a turd in my opinion.

Seems entertaining enough, will probably add it to the backlog when it hits the $10 range.

Single-player is looking great! This is what Doom is for in my opinion. Can't wait to play it.

The whole game is really looking good. MP mode differences (from classic id) aside, the game is looking really polished. It looks like they've put some effort into making the PC version a real PC version. I bought a couple keys for my friends and I.

I played the MP, it wasnt terrible but its not the reason why im buying the game. SP is where its at, the MP is just a nice addon. I dont see why people are shunning this game based off of a MP demo. The visuals look fine, and im excited to see the various types of demons i get to fight.

I played the MP, it wasnt terrible but its not the reason why im buying the game. SP is where its at, the MP is just a nice addon. I dont see why people are shunning this game based off of a MP demo. The visuals look fine, and im excited to see the various types of demons i get to fight.

Precisely. I also don't feel the MP was amazing in any sense, but actually if you look at it, Doom's MP never was. The first one was breakthrough in that it was the first MP FPS ever. It was still only simple matches with simplistic game play. Doom 3 was the same. Very simple modes, low player count etc. So this one is actually an UPGRADE from those. The Doom series has NEVER had the kind of MP that the Quake series has, and I think people get the two confused. This MP actually looks (and plays) pretty well. Like you say though it's definitely not the focus. SP is the key, and from what I've seen they've got that nailed. It looks like a slightly more action-oriented Doom 3, which is a good thing IMO. It appears to be exactly what Doom is about.

People just like to hate because they think it's cool.

I've been playing FPSes since Wolf3D, and this in no way looks disappointing to me. People are entitled to their opinions of course, but I think a lot of the hate is just bullshit.

Precisely. I also don't feel the MP was amazing in any sense, but actually if you look at it, Doom's MP never was. The first one was breakthrough in that it was the first MP FPS ever. It was still only simple matches with simplistic game play. Doom 3 was the same. Very simple modes, low player count etc. So this one is actually an UPGRADE from those. The Doom series has NEVER had the kind of MP that the Quake series has, and I think people get the two confused. This MP actually looks (and plays) pretty well. Like you say though it's definitely not the focus. SP is the key, and from what I've seen they've got that nailed. It looks like a slightly more action-oriented Doom 3, which is a good thing IMO. It appears to be exactly what Doom is about.

People just like to hate because they think it's cool.

I've been playing FPSes since Wolf3D, and this in no way looks disappointing to me. People are entitled to their opinions of course, but I think a lot of the hate is just bullshit.
Yeah im not sure why people are trying to compare it to quake, saying its nothing like it. Since when has doom played like quake? The first dooms were 2d shooters and the first "3d" doom, Doom 3, played nothing like quake and played a lot slower and used the flashlight lighting as a main point since most of the rest of the game was pitch black. Doom also hasnt been about Hollywood quality story lines. Just some dudes on mars that find a portal to hell and fight demons.

Yeah im not sure why people are trying to compare it to quake, saying its nothing like it. Since when has doom played like quake? The first dooms were 2d shooters and the first "3d" doom, Doom 3, played nothing like quake and played a lot slower and used the flashlight lighting as a main point since most of the rest of the game was pitch black. Doom also hasnt been about Hollywood quality story lines. Just some dudes on mars that find a portal to hell and fight demons.

The comparison is there because the original Doom and Doom II played a lot like Quake, or rather the other way around. Both are semi-open maps where you run around shooting monsters and finding items, secrets, etc. Only difference was the first two Doom games were sprite-based and Quake was fully 3D.

Doom 3 isn't really a valid comparison because Doom 3 was barely like the first two Doom games in the first place.

2D/3D notwithstanding, I don't feel like they play much like one-another at all really, other than they are shooters with a distinctly id feel to them. Quake is faster, supports more players, differing strategies for the most part, more play styles (especially if you're talking about Team Arena.) I suppose Quake 2 played a bit like the original Doom games, but that's probably the closest to it. The MP on this new Doom actually reminds me of Quake 2 in some ways. It will be interesting to see how much/little the MP beta represents the MP portion of the game. I have to think there will be a lot more options included.

Doom 3's SP was a lot different than Doom 1 and 2, but Doom 3's MP was almost identical (which is why people didn't like it that much.) It "only had simple match modes" etc. My only problem with Doom 3's MP was that I couldn't find enough people to play it with me. It came out at a time that most of my friends were moving away to different places. (I don't play with random internet people, and scheduling games is not my or my friends' strong point.)

I was talking more about SP because MP with Doom was barely ever even a thing.

Yeah. I may have to take back what I said earlier about waiting until this hits the bargain bin. I didn't realize at that point that the MP had been farmed out to a console studio. I could care less about the MP portion of this game (I loved DM and co-op in Doom/Doom II, but my MP days are pretty much over) so as long as the SP experience is as solid as some are thinking it might be, I'll be picking this up well before it's under $10.

The comparison is there because the original Doom and Doom II played a lot like Quake, or rather the other way around. Both are semi-open maps where you run around shooting monsters and finding items, secrets, etc. Only difference was the first two Doom games were sprite-based and Quake was fully 3D.

Doom 3 isn't really a valid comparison because Doom 3 was barely like the first two Doom games in the first place.
But Doom 3 was great right, i mean it did win some awards iirc. Now this one wont be as mind blowing as Doom 3 was because D3 was so much different from the previous 2 that it was a big jump. But now we already have seen a doom in 3d so this one wont be as mind blowing because its been done before, doesn't mean it wont be fun. And did anyone really expect the MP to be amazing? Like almost every single SP comes with a MP tacked on and its the same thing, DM,TDM, and some variants of King of the hill/CTF. There really isnt more you can do that will be game changing.

What I expect is an id game. It looks like an id game to me. I'll be enjoying myself thoroughly.

But Doom 3 was great right, i mean it did win some awards iirc.

I seem to recall it being a big step forward graphically but there were a lot of complaints about the flashlight mechanics and monster closets everywhere. I would say it was good, not great, but IMO of course.

Back