Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Graphics notes:
Hard to really see what graphics are going to be like when the video is limited to 720p. Obviously the single player demo had a person that was cheating (to have all weps) and to demonstrate them. They only showed a few enemy types in a small confined area of one level (basically 80% of the video is the player circling around one area as enemies come in 1-3 at a time). Also notable is as per usual the demo player sucked.
-Models of the enemies look good from what I could see. High-poly.
-AI was terrible... still. Of course this isn't final, and we have no idea what the difficulty was, but seemed bad. If the difficulty scaling is just life and damage, that would be a disappointment.
-Smoke/haze effects looked great
-Level design looked meh: but like I noted earlier, they basically circled around one tiny area for the whole demo
-Appears to have localized damage on enemies as demonstrated in the first video. To great effect. Nice to see id pushing for that for so long after SoF.
-It will be interesting to see how far id pushes the graphics on this game. As generally they always do something crazy, and I doubt that these demos show the extreme level of detail the engine can bring. Prepare to finally have something that can flex Titans.
-Until we can see a high res video or we're further along to perhaps a demo, it's hard to comment more on the graphics end of things.

Gameplay mechanics I noticed
-Health drops from all enemies as well as a smattering of ammunition: The ammunition type didn't seem to necessarily correlate to the enemy type. So either it's random, it gives you the ammunition type you used to kill the enemy, or this demo doesn't accurately show the way ammo and health drops occur from enemies. So this method of health is clearly in lieu of auto-regenerative health or of course the traditional health packs. It will be interesting to see how this mechanic or indeed a combination of mechanics scales with difficulty.
-Double Jumping: Surprised to see this in any FPS, but it may be a hold over from other new console FPSs. The one that immediately comes to mind is Metroid. It does show the player character in some sort of suit, which brings up the next thing...
-Limited/no fall damage: The exoskeleton has several different abilities and that apparently is one of them.
-Wall climbing: So not directly a height limited jump. Also more than likely combined with the double jump. This mechanic will mean that jump distances can be farther, as the player will only need to make it to an edge rather than directly on top of the intended object.
-Enemies change color to indicate some sort of quick kill mechanic: Of course without playing the game we don't know if that's just a button press or if other stuff is required. I personally don't know how I feel about this mechanic being in Doom. I suppose id is trying to modernize the game, but it doesn't feel like the classic for sure.
-Weapons are classic doom. Doesn't look like there are any surprises there. They look different, they might "unload" ammo differently, but looks to be the standard id fair. They teased the BFG at the end.

Hi-Res pictures:

image_doom-28567-3000_0001.jpg

image_doom-28567-3000_0002.jpg

image_doom-28567-3000_0003.jpg

image_doom-28567-3000_0004.jpg

image_doom-28567-3000_0005.jpg

image_doom-28567-3000_0006.jpg

Love the Cacodemons.

Graphics notes:
Hard to really see what graphics are going to be like when the video is limited to 720p. Obviously the single player demo had a person that was cheating (to have all weps) and to demonstrate them. They only showed a few enemy types in a small confined area of one level (basically 80% of the video is the player circling around one area as enemies come in 1-3 at a time). Also notable is as per usual the demo player sucked.
-Models of the enemies look good from what I could see. High-poly.
-AI was terrible... still. Of course this isn't final, and we have no idea what the difficulty was, but seemed bad. If the difficulty scaling is just life and damage, that would be a disappointment.
-Smoke/haze effects looked great
-Level design looked meh: but like I noted earlier, they basically circled around one tiny area for the whole demo
-Appears to have localized damage on enemies as demonstrated in the first video. To great effect. Nice to see id pushing for that for so long after SoF.
-It will be interesting to see how far id pushes the graphics on this game. As generally they always do something crazy, and I doubt that these demos show the extreme level of detail the engine can bring. Prepare to finally have something that can flex Titans.
-Until we can see a high res video or we're further along to perhaps a demo, it's hard to comment more on the graphics end of things.

Gameplay mechanics I noticed
-Health drops from all enemies as well as a smattering of ammunition: The ammunition type didn't seem to necessarily correlate to the enemy type. So either it's random, it gives you the ammunition type you used to kill the enemy, or this demo doesn't accurately show the way ammo and health drops occur from enemies. So this method of health is clearly in lieu of auto-regenerative health or of course the traditional health packs. It will be interesting to see how this mechanic or indeed a combination of mechanics scales with difficulty.
-Double Jumping: Surprised to see this in any FPS, but it may be a hold over from other new console FPSs. The one that immediately comes to mind is Metroid. It does show the player character in some sort of suit, which brings up the next thing...
-Limited/no fall damage: The exoskeleton has several different abilities and that apparently is one of them.
-Wall climbing: So not directly a height limited jump. Also more than likely combined with the double jump. This mechanic will mean that jump distances can be farther, as the player will only need to make it to an edge rather than directly on top of the intended object.
-Enemies change color to indicate some sort of quick kill mechanic: Of course without playing the game we don't know if that's just a button press or if other stuff is required. I personally don't know how I feel about this mechanic being in Doom. I suppose id is trying to modernize the game, but it doesn't feel like the classic for sure.
-Weapons are classic doom. Doesn't look like there are any surprises there. They look different, they might "unload" ammo differently, but looks to be the standard id fair. They teased the BFG at the end.

I watched the E3 trailer in 1080p60hz?

I said this about a year ago in a different thread.
Agreed. They need to step back a bit. They can take the run and gun formula from the Serious Sam series, remove the humor, add sci-fi and elements from the Dead Space series, throw in a few scary as fuck japanese tentacle rape monsters, and it would turn out better than Doom 3. They also need to up the ultra-violence up to 11. I'm talking Demons skull fucking victims, flesh being peeled off with fish hooks, some serious Hellraiser shit. They have a lot to make up for, so why not bring back the controversy like they had in Doom 1 and Doom 2?

From what I've seen so far, I will not be disappointed.

The Doom series is the epitome of Ultra Violence. When I can rip out the heart of a Mancubus and force feed it to his fat fucking face, tear off the leg of an imp and stab him in the eye socket, or simply grab a demon's face and pull it apart... I'd say they are on the right track.

I see every classic Doom weapon, classic game mechanics, and a few new interesting ones like the weapon switch screen that induces temporary slo-mo and the melee kills. Love it. I even heard some modern renditions of classic doom music to set the tone.

Glad to see gone are Halo-esque recharging shields and limited weapon carries. You are definitely one bad-ass demon raping Space Marine whose only means of staying alive is to keep killing and having the ability to carry every weapon just in case you want to tickle a Hell Knight's balls with a shotgun or cut him in two with a chainsaw.

-edit-
Just watched some of the multiplayer. It will be kick ass, especially the ability to spawn as the Revenant. However, I see a lot of game mechanics that are ripe for a Quake sequel.

-another edit
I want to add that this game has been in development for years... Doom 3 was 2004. This game is looking to release in 2016...12 years afterwards. I'm not sure how long this sequel has been in development, but I heard rumblings as far back as 2011, possibly earlier. I want to thank you Bethesda and ID. I'm hoping I don't get a day one patch for Single Player. This reveal has exceeded my wildest dreams, above and beyond my already lowered standards created by EA and Activision with their yearly release/2 year development cycle.

Last edited:
Call of Doom

Huh? It didn't look very CODish to me. They were carrying a giant stack of weapons, health didn't regen automatically, the gameplay wasn't just shoot-hide-shoot-hide.

My takeaway after watching the gameplay might have been something snarky along the lines of it missing the magic of the predecessors, or looking like a kitchen sink approach to trying to live up to its heritage, but... that's not my takeaway, because .. the gore.

All criticisms suddenly subsided, because I'm reminded how we're in a time of publishers systematically watering down or outright eliminating gore on established franchises to be more acceptable and marketable in more places, including to kids on consoles.

Praise the gore, these titles are preciously scarce, and this one gets my money.

Last edited:
All criticisms suddenly subsided, because I'm reminded how we're in a time of publishers systematically watering down or outright eliminating gore on established franchises to be more acceptable and marketable in more places, including to kids on consoles.

Praise the gore, these titles are preciously scarce, and this one gets my money.

The usual delicate flowers are already whining on twitter about the macabre glorification of violence. :rolleyes:

Never played the Doom games, but this does "seem" more like the originals. Not so serious but silly and over the top. Doom 3 seemed a lot more like a horror game from what I can gather. Suppose I'll look into this one, but certainly will be low on the list.

The usual delicate flowers are already whining on twitter about the macabre glorification of violence. :rolleyes:

Well they might want to save some tears for Fallout 4, because after watching one of the E3 videos, it seems gore is back and better than ever in that game too - poppin' heads, poppin' limbs, exploding corpses and blood splashing aplenty. The game doesn't revolve around gore, but they're not shying away from it - and its always good for a laugh on the kill cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzV1GlDDlv8

I am seriously fanboi'ing on Bethesda between these two new games.

Last edited:
Never played the Doom games, but this does "seem" more like the originals. Not so serious but silly and over the top. Doom 3 seemed a lot more like a horror game from what I can gather. Suppose I'll look into this one, but certainly will be low on the list.
You really missed out. How old are you?

When Doom and Doom II came out, nothing but controversy. Conservative America flipped their shit like this was the coming of the anti-christ... nevermind the fact that the game had a marine killing the forces of Hell. You'd think this was right up their alley.

Doom I and Doom II really pushed boundaries in game mechanics, game design and modding, and multiplayer...as well as pushing people's buttons with plenty of gore and controversial game content. I'm glad to see they aren't pulling an punches with this sequel.

<hi-res pics>

Love the Cacodemons.
I have a massive erection right now. Can you get some more pics? I need to blow my load.

Fuck 'em. These are the same delicate flowers that usually are made an example of when a real life demon comes knocking on their door. Survival of the fittest. If you can't survive the modern depiction of the kind of violence that has been occurring since the most ancient of times, then you need to go live in the wilderness with animals and watch as the world passes you by.

Last edited:
As a maker of Doom II WADs and subscriber to DWANGO back in the day, I am SPEECHLESS!!

This is longggggg overdue.

I'd post the Futurama gif, but I think we're all thinking it already....

Gameplay video again but in 1080p60, but still with shitty youtube compression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7g6BfvU6A8

This gameplay video helps to show a lot more over my initial assessment.

-There apparently will be lots of mobs. It's still not like the original, but the original was hamstrung by not having multiple levels, or jumping, or anything like that. So basically the original compensated for large areas with a stack of mobs.
-Not all mobs will give health or ammo
-Chainsaw seems OP as all getout. If you're close enough to use the DB shotgun, you might as well chainsaw for a near insta-kill
-Shotgun has a "riot shotgun" like burst mode. So it's possible all the weps have alternates that aren't revealed yet.
-Level design seems decent. I don't want to be jaded, but there is no "wow factor" there. But if I'm honest, really what can an FPS do in that regard? Although the new Uncharted 4 does seem really cool in particular...

Some of my own personal taste criticism...
-Everything seems too bright. I wish the lighting was darker. I'm not sure if that's a engine rendering issue or that they just have too many light sources.
-Everything seems too clean. I know it's a UAC base but I definitely would appreciate more of a haggard feel. Even the monsters feel smooth and not as gritty.

Last edited:
I much rather the horror game type that D3 was then to an arena shooter. D3 was a creepy game and went so well with Doom atmosphere.

...-Chainsaw seems OP as all getout. If you're close enough to use the DB shotgun, you might as well chainsaw for a near insta-kill
-Shotgun has a "riot shotgun" like burst mode. So it's possible all the weps have alternates that aren't revealed yet....

It does look as though the chainsaw is over-powered, and if that is so, then why not limit fuel supply to counter that?; although that wouldn't seem to jive with the balls-to-the-wall nature of the game it would be perfectly reasonable for the sake of balance.

I noticed in the hell gauntlet video that he slaps on what appears to be a single use rocket barrage silo on to the heavy machine-gun.

Well they might want to save some tears for Fallout 4...

Don't you worry, their whining about FO4 is already beginning to reach crescendo levels.

Fuck 'em. These are the same delicate flowers that usually are made an example of when a real life demon comes knocking on their door. Survival of the fittest. If you can't survive the modern depiction of the kind of violence that has been occurring since the most ancient of times, then you need to go live in the wilderness with animals and watch as the world passes you by.

Oh I don't disagree, its the same gang of politically correct dickheads who have decided to wage a culture war on games and gamers. If you don't like it then don't play it, or better yet fuck off and make games which appeal to you and your ilk. This band of thought police would rather have media they deem offensive banned outright irrespective of the fact that its specifically designed to be consumed by mature adults.

I...I'm torn on it. It looks like Doom, and the graphics look OK at best, but I'm not getting that excited feeling I got when Doom 3 was announced. Again, just judging from the videos. The high res shots looked great for the monster models, but the rest looked meh. I'll probably still grab it day one like I do with every single game, but I'm not feeling that "punch in the gut" excited feeling.

Ultimately...I think Doom will be a failure.....but not because its not good.

This game looks like it going back to the roots of FPS gaming/Doom....no cover system, none of the Call of Duty/Gears of War/Battlefield mechanics....just a straight up Health/Armor system (100/100) with 8 or so guns....shooting shit up and fucking up demons....and I am OK with that!

I haven't seen a multiplayer style like that in a long time (Unreal Tournament 2004?) and ultimately most people are going to bitch that its too fast, there is no strategy, blah blah blah. Again...I am welcoming back a Quake 3/Unreal style multiplayer and am so ready for this game.

I am sure I will enjoy it and be giggling while I slay hell....but except the old school gamers....I don't really see this game catching up....I hope it does...but I just don't see it.

Looks exciting for some mindless shooting. However, it seems they never got past 2010 in terms of graphics fidelity. Still looks very much like RAGE graphics with noticeable low resolution textures and crap.

Seriously, this game should have been released in 2010 or earlier and it would be fine. In 2016 I am very sceptical about it.

OMG this is doom guys. Why the complaining about graphics? It was all about game play and atmosphere. I'm a guy who just wants to mess up some demons and shoot mindlessly. Not no cod bullcrap. Doom 3 was complete crap. The horror movie theme was just terrible. Couldn't get past the first hour or two in that alone. Just didn't hold my interest.

This looks like it will bring back the same vibe I got playing the first two.

And why are people over-analyzing this when it's not even out yet? UnknownSouljer did you actually play this already?

I now realize what I didn't love about Wolfenstein TNO. I played TNO on hard, and while I enjoyed the game it felt like a barely above average fps for me. I actually enjoyed the combat in Evil Within much more.

After seeing the Doom gameplay I now know why. It's because the enemies in TNO shot hit scanned weapons, and on harder difficulties you were forced to find cover or be shredded in a matter of seconds. This was especially apparent with the tank type guys with mini guns, they would kill you in seconds. This is not fun for me.

Doom shows why I like games that allow you to dodge enemy projectiles so I don't have to spend half my time hiding behind cover.

OMG this is doom guys. Why the complaining about graphics? It was all about game play and atmosphere.

Huh? The original Doom was one of the major landmarks in 3D game graphics, as well as FPS game play. And there's a reason id developed a reputation for making engine tech demos rather than games.

I don't personally have any complaints about the graphics in what they showed (unlike the F4 stuff), although there's only so much you can do with a generic sci-fi industrial complex. My complaints are more about how obviously heavily scripted the SP demo was (not to mention played on a fucking gamepad), and yet the AI was still the same shit they had 20 years ago.

I want to add that this game has been in development for years... Doom 3 was 2004. This game is looking to release in 2016...12 years afterwards. I'm not sure how long this sequel has been in development, but I heard rumblings as far back as 2011, possibly earlier.
They went in another direction at first with Doom 4 but many people were not happy with the results. This is when Carmack said "Doom means two things: demons and shotguns." So, they basically started over again and named it "Doom" I think to try and re-inforce that this is returning more to the roots established by the originals.

That video is really promising. Doom is all about fast-paced, intense action. D3 got too far away from that.

Looks exciting for some mindless shooting. However, it seems they never got past 2010 in terms of graphics fidelity. Still looks very much like RAGE graphics with noticeable low resolution textures and crap.

Seriously, this game should have been released in 2010 or earlier and it would be fine. In 2016 I am very sceptical about it.

It doesn't look that bad. Actually rather average.

From what I understand the gameplay footage (the forge and hellscape videos, not the multiplayer, co-op and snapmap videos) are the same videos shown at Quakecon last year, I may be wrong but the length and descriptions match up at any rate.
If that is so, then, I don't know, maybe it's gotten better since then, and will continue to do so for the next 9-10 months until release.
Now, I'm just speculating on this as a thrown out hand of consolation for those ruffled-of-feather from the visual acuity tribe.
I think it looks from "just fine" to "great" in places.
Satisfied and excited.

Back