DOOM 3 is too scary for me

While attending college at Colorado Technical University (College back then) some of the guys had Doom installed on the library computers. This guy I knew hadn't played Doom before so we setup a coop game. We are moving along and he is enjoying himself when around the corner he hears a demon roar...one of the big ones, with the robot leg and the rocket arms.

He SCREAMED and jumped up in his chair.

In a library.

The librarian was like "what are you boys doing over there?".

ROFLMAO

I laughed until I cried and then laughed some more.

He quit playing at that point.

Doom scared me at a few points, to where I was sweating trying to get away from some demon or another. Half Life only got me once, when I went into the parking garage and the alien threw some cars around. I went through the door and turned the wrong way, so my back was turned to the whole scripted sequence...but his roar and the crashing sent me running forward. I didn't even glance backwards to see what the commotion was, just knew I didn't want anything to do with it!

Hell yeah, I'm terrified.

Why?

I had a preorder for UT2k4 DVD from Best Buy. Predictably, I got screwed out of my copy. Now, my birthday present was a pre-ordered Doom 3 from... you guessed it, Best Buy.

Now that's terror. ;)

Shadowspawn said:
...but his roar and the crashing sent me running forward. I didn't even glance backwards to see what the commotion was, just knew I didn't want anything to do with it!

LOL! Been there, done that :p

only thing that makes me jump in games is when I think I'm being sneaky and then seemingly out of nowhere I start getting riddled with bullets and some dude or thing is standing almost on top of me hacken/shooting/biting me ... :)

Oh yea The Undying is not only one of the scariest games, but man that story line was wicked. You would be walking around and all of a sudden the screen would black out and you would hear some creepy noises like chains rattling and bam the screen would come back and a ghost would be right there.The sound was great in that game. Do you guys remember a game called Phantasmagoria? That game is what started my dark decent into being a computer nerd...as my wife likes to call me. Another game I recently played was on Xbox called Fatal Frame which was pretty scarey too...

System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games ever. Until recently, I replayed the game each time I upgraded my system just to see how much better it would play. The thing that gripped me the most was the level of involvement you would get from hearing the log entries of the other crew members. It looks like the PDA in Doom 3 will recreate that aspect of SS2, which I think is an excellent decision. Lots of posts are saying that Doom 3 rips off the story from HL1. While I think there are some inspirations borrowed from HL1, the much clearer link is to SS2, and D3 will be a better game for it.

One of the creepiest moments for me in SS2 was the log entry of the ship's doctor examining a mutant that awakens. The sense of helplessness as you listen to the slaughter reminded me of the movie Dead Calm, with Nicole Kidman and Sam Neil. They have rescued a stranded tourist played by Billie Zane from a derelict ship, and he has in turn stranded Sam on the ship and kidnapped his wife on their sailboat. While Sam tries to figure out how to escape the derelict, he finds a camcorder and plays back the tape. It shows Zane's character going nuts and killing everyone on board, including the person videotaping. All Sam could do was sit and watch it and worry about his wife.

In an odd twist, the voice actor playing the doctor and one or two other characters sounds a lot like Billie Zane! I guess what goes around....

Other great SS2 moments:

The midwives--every time I heard one of those coming I wanted to run very far, very fast!

The spiders--oooh, I hated those things!

Creeping around in the cargo holds with that eerie blowing-wind sound, hearing the distant howling of a monkey...

Squelching around in the Body of the Many, wondering why I wasn't dead yet, then, oops, I was!

while I never played SS2 I did play Undying and that was one scary game....my room mate at the time played with headphones on one night and I came up behind him and was going to ask how he liked it and he fell out of his chair :eek: and to this day all I have to say to him is Undying and he will shudder...as for Doom 3...I have played a couple of hours on it now and can say that I will not be playing in total darkness and will have a nightlight :p

Tense and scary are two different things. I'll give you tat some games can be intense. How about getting dropped out of a helicopter with only 10 bullets on an island of trigens and then running for you life ala predator, diving down waterfalls and swimming under water to safety? (I tried covering myself in mud but the Trigens didn't seem to be fazed...meh :eek: ).

Anyway, I just picked D3 up on my lunch break, and will play tonight with the lights off, setting on difficult, and my surround sound bumping.... if I end up shitting my pants I'll be the first one to admit it, but I just don't think games can really get that scary. It's all pysical usually (i.e. someone jumps out at you). Yeah, you might jump, but it's more shock and surprise than being scaed. Very rarely could a game get psychological like some of the great movie thrillers of our time (some more recent ones that come to mind are The Ring, Blair Witch, etc.). There really wasn't too much actual monsters or shock effect scares in those movies for the most part, but they were still creepy...at least the first time you saw them. Just my .02

conscript said:
Tense and scary are two different things. I'll give you tat some games can be intense. How about getting dropped out of a helicopter with only 10 bullets on an island of trigens and then running for you life ala predator, diving down waterfalls and swimming under water to safety? (I tried covering myself in mud but the Trigens didn't seem to be fazed...meh :eek: ).

Anyway, I just picked D3 up on my lunch break, and will play tonight with the lights off, setting on difficult, and my surround sound bumping.... if I end up shitting my pants I'll be the first one to admit it, but I just don't think games can really get that scary. It's all pysical usually (i.e. someone jumps out at you). Yeah, you might jump, but it's more shock and surprise than being scaed. Very rarely could a game get psychological like some of the great movie thrillers of our time (some more recent ones that come to mind are The Ring, Blair Witch, etc.). There really wasn't too much actual monsters or shock effect scares in those movies for the most part, but they were still creepy...at least the first time you saw them. Just my .02

Play silent hill... psycological to the max...

And yeah, this one will get you some too.

in my experience doom 3 has parts where it is jumpy, but can only be really scary if you allow yourself to get really drawn in. The atmosphere really helps with that, but I have played games that are just as scary...

SIlent Hill the original... man that game was NUTS, and I really don't know why. I never got into the others in taht series, but the first one has to be one of the best PSX games ever.

the AVP series was kind of scary as the marine... but with the smart gun I was never ever worried. it was more of a jumpy fear, but as a noob, the sound of my motion detector going off was enough to really freak me out lol.

in Doom 3, I REALLY like how they introduce the new monsters, and the double headed things I was kinda worried to be honest... :D I tried my first grenade there lol... grenades are rarely useful in that game, but still awesome.

sadly some of the others had been caught up in the hype, so I was expecting them... haha spiders

heh - I haven't playd any of the scary games you guys have stated except for MGS 1... that game rocked - Psycomantis always was freaking me out....

Another game that scared me was the old Wolf 3d game.... especially the last level

Open the door.....

"GUTEN TAG!!!"

Spray of bullets from a huge guy that looks like he has chainguns for hands!

but I played that game back in the day - and I'm only 14....

What's the new Myst? installement.. a buddy of mine was playing that at night after he went to bed (put to bed by parents / told to go to sleep) and he was wearing headphones and was in his room, door shut, no lights..... bridge fell from under him and jumped and yelped loud enough to wake up his parents! now the keyboard is removed from his room everynight :p

Those myst games were pretty scary for me at least.... Deadly tide was a nicely made game as well :)

Thief I was the ultimate scary game that I played though. Theif II was kind of scary but not like the first one. The first one was a true masterpiece - especially that level towards the very end in constantines house where all the servants and guards were mutated!!! That level scared the pee pee right into my pants. I had 5.1 surround hooke up and my SBLive, and HOT DAMN that was scary. I want to try Thief III but haven't got it yet.

Undying I played the demo and was like "holy shit this is way to scary for me I can't take this." Doom III i've only played the first level, and it is in-frekean-credibly scary - possibly more than Thief, but I'll have to play it all the way through. Especially with the Logitech Z5300's I just bought - man those are awsome speakers. And when those demons say "help me" that is just messed up! You really need to crank the sound in Doom III to enjoy it. The ultimate graphics engine is just one part of the game, and it you don't have surround you are missing a lot.

Edit: Hell I think I am going to pull out my old Quake shareware cd and install it and play it again. Edit2: Eh gotta find out how to make the thing run under XP, errg.

Try winquake (planetqake.com) (or modify the properties on the exe to run in win95 compatability mode)...for the die harders going back to DOOM I & II check out JDoom http://www.doomsdayhq.com/ I replayed DOOM I and II a couple of months ago... yeah I jumped a couple of times... forgot how much I liked the music... still waiting on my copy of DOOM III in the mail. Should be there when I get home.

I've definately had a few "HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP" moments in Doom 3 so far.

The first was in the first level just after all Hell broke loose (aren't I clever?). I walked into a bathroom (being sure to observe the things floating in the toilets), and noticed there was some ammo lying over by the sinks. I walked over towards the sinks, which had a mirror above it. As I approached the mirror, the screen went red and it zoomed in on my character's face in a zombified state. While I was busy freaking out, one of those huge things that shoot fireballs out of its hand came in the room and started attacking me, but I was too busy worrying about what I had just seen. I was playing this game in the dark with headphones... I had to take a break at that point.

Another moment came slightly later in the game when the game went to Creepy-Vision again and the controls got slowed way down, like what I was in a dream or something. Stuff started to catch on fire, then the chairs and stuff started shaking and were launched at me.

Now, I'm not one to scare easily, but this stuff scared the crap out of me. And it's the good kind of scare, the psychological kind that sticks with you for a while. The "boo" kind doesn't really do anything to me.

I can only play D3 for about an hour at a time during daylight hours.

And when in the catacombs in RTCW.... Zombies breaking out of the walls to get you.... OMG *shivers*

all I can say is ... DAMN ... this is one freaky ass game .. the part that really got me first .. apart from the part in the bathroom mentioned above .. was right before you go into Alpha Labs I beleive .. when you first see the Red Stuff growing on the walls .. you walk up to that Pentagram on the floor and that voice whisper "Save Me" then you start getting attcked left and right and then you hear that Evil Laugh .. *shudder* ..

yea .. this game scars the hell outta me sometimes .. defiantly worth it though ...

BioHazard.89 said:
heh - I haven't playd any of the scary games you guys have stated except for MGS 1... that game rocked - Psycomantis always was freaking me out....

Another game that scared me was the old Wolf 3d game.... especially the last level

Open the door.....

"GUTEN TAG!!!"

Spray of bullets from a huge guy that looks like he has chainguns for hands!

but I played that game back in the day - and I'm only 14....

What's the new Myst? installement.. a buddy of mine was playing that at night after he went to bed (put to bed by parents / told to go to sleep) and he was wearing headphones and was in his room, door shut, no lights..... bridge fell from under him and jumped and yelped loud enough to wake up his parents! now the keyboard is removed from his room everynight :p

Those myst games were pretty scary for me at least.... Deadly tide was a nicely made game as well :)

Dude, sig overload. 10 lines max, cut it down before you get in BIG trouble.

undying was the scariest game i've ever played (although i havent played SS2).. but undying really freaked me out.. i'm still playing through doom 3 and it definitely has its tense moments and times that make ya jump

Doom 3 seems more of a BOO scary than anything else. After you play for a bit it just gets predictable as far as when you get attacked.

Halflife had some genuinely scary moments. Half-life is the only game that I really got into from start to finish, and it was a great experience.

I have SS2, but I havnt played it yet.

AVP 2 was scary for me.. I remember that first 10 or 15 min walking around in the dark with all the sounds around you. Every corner you went around you thought for sure this is it.. I remember empty'n half a clip into hanging wires.. good stuff...

I just purchased Doom 3. I thought System Shock, AvP, Aliens (any of them), Half Life (any of them) and Thief 3 were scary! They really did a great job with the environment. Walking through a poorly lit hall, hearing whispers but nothing is there, hearing something behind you then turning around to find nothing. You turn back around and continue, the tension is building, you see that dark corner a few yards in front of you. You think that the noise is coming from there. You turn on the flashlite and see nothing. Just as you approach the corner, the lights go out one by one. You hear a utility panel drop from the wall and then moans. You fumble for your flashlight, *click*, there it is and he is right in front of you!

Pretty scary stuff.

Warcraft 3 is much more scary than DOOM 3.

lol seriously, are you scared by Doom III??
I mean it's just some dark places with evil background voices and monsters coming out of nowhere, sure sometimes you get surprised by those, but it aint scary...

Francois_C_N said:

I mean it's just some dark places with evil background voices and monsters coming out of nowhere, sure sometimes you get surprised by those, but it aint scary...

oh! well since you deem it not scary. i guess that makes it automatically not scary for anyone else. good thinking :rolleyes:

Man, I'll tell you what! Somehow Hell is going to come through the computer. That's the feeling I get from Doom 3. lol! Thief 3 was creepy, System Shock was one of those that were somewhat creepy and suprises around every corner (the creepy part is when you see the guy's ghost in the beginning). But Doom 3 takes the cake. I really like it but I can't play it more than a few minutes at a time.

Speaking of scary, the MP client/server is scary in that it has soooooo many bugs still. They really need to fix that and we better start making better maps and mods because ID aparently didn't spend much time on MP maps. Is there an editor like there was so many years ago with the original doom? I realize it is a much more advanced game but if Bethesda can make a map editor for Morrowind then surely ID has one for Doom 3.

Well, I've recouped from the last round. Time to continue. I got good medical coverage so I guess I'm not worried about a heart attack.

Francois_C_N said:

Besides, I thought being "surprised", as you said, but unpleasantly, is what we classify as scared.

Doom 3 did me in in the beginning, i was getting so jumpy, i can remember back in the day with Wolfenstein 3D was the first time i ever got scared

I had found a secret wall, so i push it in, which leads to another, another, another, another, another, and yet another secret wall. after no time you've made this huge passage with the walls and there is one door. I'm expecting something insanely cool like a new gun or more terasure, but when I open the door i get the fierce GUTEN TAG and this massive blue guy that starts pounding away at me. I seroiusly screamed, hit escape, and ran out of the room to get a drink. of course i was about 6, but I can never play Wolf3D anymore without having some of that old fear creep up.

The only game that actually made me jump out of my seat was Resident Evil 1 on PSX when you first get to the house and you are walking down the hallway and those damn dogs jump through the window-- man I'm still cleaning up the stains in my pants. Oh, SS2 was a good game though I didn't play to much of it but the ambiant sounds were freaky-- hl made me jump as well.

p.s: I know Tomb Raider 1 isn't a scary game, but when that big a$$ T-Rex came runnin at me I was spooked.

I admit doom 3 scared me at first, but after a while you just get numb to it.

At first: OMG that imp just scared the shit out of me when he came through the stairs.

After a while: Damn there is a spider hiding behind the computer i was using and i shot it with a shotgun shell, i should have used my pistol.

Never played Silent Hill, AVP. Back in the DOS days Wolf3d was sometimes surprising enough but not scary. Even Doom or Doom2 was OK as long as I could see them clearly. But Doom3's lighting does tricks to your eyes. When using the flashlight some times doesn't help. I especially hate the background noise when you can't see anything coming but know you're getting close. I spend 10-20 minutes per day playing or else I might not be able to walk away with clean shorts. lol

nuthing seems to scare me, xept the real thing,
if i was to see a mangled body in real life id be pretty freaked,
but to see it in games or fiction movies, it just gives me a suspensfull feeling, but far from fear.
:D :rolleyes:

no joke the game gave me a panic attack and i had to go lay down and concentrate on my breathing just to make my chest stop hurting........now that is a bit to much fear but i still love this game

Any game will have a hard time living up to the sheer horror that the Silent Hill series brought me.

DooBall said:
Haha, my scariest game was THIEF 1...

omfg, I loved that game, but I got stuck on that cave level w/ the zombies... the zombies were the only reason I couldn't go any further in that game...

I rememeber trying so many times to just ignore the zombie sounds... and I've even turned of my speakers playing that level... but getting jumped by surprise-zombies was even worse.

Sigh... I dunno if I'll ever finish that game...

ditto!!!! and the fact that it was impossible to get around the zombies without them seeing you. turned from a "sneaker" to a "get slaughtered by monsters"

That said, thief 3 gets me pretty worked up.
Doom3 is kinda bad for me, but i get more frustrated with the non-changing scenery. I'm not claustrophobic, but that game turns me into one.

RM_Bulldog said:
no joke the game gave me a panic attack and i had to go lay down and concentrate on my breathing just to make my chest stop hurting........now that is a bit to much fear but i still love this game

Same happened to me...it was the first time the spiders come out...(i HATE spiders) and at first there was one and i was like "ooooh real scarry doom", then they just kept coming out of the walls and down from the ceiling and i didnt know where to go and i totally locked up and couldnt breathe...that shit was scary

I think you folks have covered the titles of most of the "scary games" out there. While reading the thread I was reminded of an old game. Let's take a ride in the wayback machine to the time when 486 machines were the newest thing and I had just installed a brand new 1x cd-rom drive where my old 5-1/4" floppy drive used to be.
I bought a game called "7th guest" which came on this newfangled media called cd-rom and featured "multimedia content".
It was hell trying to get that game to run in DOS, but I finally got it running. I can't say I dropped a load or anything while playing, but there were definitely a number of chilling moments in that game.

I played Doom 3 for 3 or 4 hours last Saturday night. I realized I was getting tired of "getting scared" and decided to take a break from it for a while. I think Doom 3 is a great game and accomplishes what was intended in the game. I'm realizing now though that I can only tolerate it in limited intervals.

ChiMan said:
Well, if it's anything like AvP or AvP2, then I'm scared.

Didn't finish these two games because of the marine level. Call me a wuss but I just couldn't deal with it :D

naw man, I'm rigth there with you. aliens + motion detector + darkness = FREAKED OUT :eek:

Mister Natural said:

I played Doom 3 for 3 or 4 hours last Saturday night. I realized I was getting tired of "getting scared" and decided to take a break from it for a while. I think Doom 3 is a great game and accomplishes what was intended in the game. I'm realizing now though that I can only tolerate it in limited intervals.

That's right! I got tired of getting scared too! I would only play for 1/2 an hour at a time. One day I played it too long and the next day I felt like I had a hangover.

:confused:

Back