• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

doom 3 bfg edition

  • Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
The current version runs fine on my AMD card. I don't expect they'll be deviating too greatly from the current rendering codepath, so I wouldn't expect problems.


There's a bizarre "API versions are everything" mentality that's pretty prevalent here. Some people won't even buy a D3D9 game regardless of how well it looks or how well it performs simply because it's not D3D10/11. I'm not sure how these people figure out what OpenGL games to boycott based on API version, with all its real-world conformance and extension complexities.

Which AMD card do you have? When you say the current version runs fine on your card, are you talking about Doom 3 or Rage?

Is the Doom remake just a tweaking of the old version or extensively modified with Rage code? If it is the latter I am more concerned AMD cards will run it poorly, which would be a shame.
 
I have an HD 5850. Both Doom 3 (the current version of Doom 3) and RAGE work fine. There's a lot of id Tech 5 code in Doom 3 BFG, but to my knowledge there's no virtual texturing, which is what trips up a lot of drivers.
 
Thanks for the detailed responses, wonderfield. Excited about this one. Between Doom 3 and HL 1 and 2, those are the games I have replayed more than any other. Heck, most games I only play once or less. Have played Doom 3 at least 4 times thus far, plus tons of the user created sp games (d3 classic, etc).
 
I have an HD 5850. Both Doom 3 (the current version of Doom 3) and RAGE work fine. There's a lot of id Tech 5 code in Doom 3 BFG, but to my knowledge there's no virtual texturing, which is what trips up a lot of drivers.

Really? With 12.8 Rage shouldn't run fine. Its a known issue.

I also can't get Doom 3 to run with sikkmod. Apparantly if I use a crack and change the name of the exe it might work. IDK

AMD sort of earned that reputation with open gl performance. I wouldn't be shocked if this didn't run well at launch. Even a lot of source ports have quirks on AMD hardware. I know Darkplaces runs like crap compared to with a Nvidia card.
 

The Modification includes:

* Modern Graphics (DoF and HDR is activated by default)
* Sikkmod v1.2 (Awesome Mod made by Sikkpin)
* HD Textures (Awesome Textures made by Wulfen1)
* HD Main Menu and Fonts (made by 6th Venom)
* New Weapon Model(s)
* New Weapon Sound Effects
* New Main Theme Title Music (deactivated by default)

^ :(
 
anyone picking this up tomorrow? my interest is peaked, but I'm afraid this more of a cashgrab than anything else on ID's behalf
 
I'm at least curious to see some comparison screenshots. I fully expect the game to have native support for wide-screen resolutions but I'll be surprised if the textures (PC) are improved at all.

I tried some of those mods on my original Steam copy and the game ran poorly; maybe I did something wrong or I don't have 3GB of VRAM.

edit:
Was reading around the Steam forum/group thing and it looks like they may have removed graphics options from the game and someone is saying that the FOV seems lower than the original.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/208200/discussions/
 
Apparently if you buy through Steam, you get a $10 discount if you already own Doom 3, which kicks the price down to $20.
 
Still seems overpriced at $20 unless they REALLY revamped the graphics and gameplay.
 
This is kind of as if Square decided to revamp FF7 and charge money for the same shit. Oh wait, they did. :mad:
 
ya 20 dollars seems overpriced, i bought id super pack before because i wanted all the games on steam. now they are asking for 20 dollars just to get a version that have some more levels and maybe more optimization.
 
... and you pulled that claim out of where, your ass?
It's correct. Pieces of Tech 5 were pulled in to Tech 4 for this. Quite a lot of it, from what I understand.

Still seems overpriced at $20 unless they REALLY revamped the graphics and gameplay.
Depends on how lengthy the new content is, really. If it's as long as RoE was, then it seems like a pretty reasonable value.
 
Some gameplay footage apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMsmLUcKRfM

Not sure if it is the recording or what, but that motion blur is REALLY annoying. Graphics are marginally better but are easily outclassed by mods. Meh.

Overall it seems like this was really meant for Xbox 360, not as a significant PC upgrade.
 
Overall it seems like this was really meant for Xbox 360, not as a significant PC upgrade.

Probably, the only real advantage that it seems to have is that it works well in stereoscopic 3d. Maybe it'll even run well on AMD cards which most mods don't. I know sikmod doesn't.
 
Stuff I'm reading on Steam forums sounds pretty bad....360 buttons on screen, can't skip cutscenes, flashlights don't cast shadows, autosaves, no advanced graphics settings, crap textures....more of a regression over the original when you take into the account all the mods that are available for FREE

obvious console cashgrab by a company who's best days are in the past
 
Well it sounds good if you both:

A) Have never played Doom 3

B) Have an Xbox 360

Otherwise, pass until it's cheaper.
 
Ok found this video of someone playing it on Youtube. He is using a 7770 so that gives me more confidence that it will run on AMD cards unlike that travesty called Rage. I like updated remakes of old games, but don't the mods for the original look better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67TbmU9bAwI
 
so it looks like they added motion blur and made the game brighter or have shatter lighting
 
Both are 'maybe good' things in my opinion, though the amount of darkness in Doom 3 never really bothered me.

I rather enjoyed it being so dark. My nephews and I used to jump like playing SlenderMan. I wonder if there is a "old school dark with crappy flashlight" option.
 
Just grabbed it for 360. Can't wait to go home and play it. Never completed it for the PC back in the day, nor played the expansion so it should be a pretty enjoyable experience. The gameplay tweaks sounds pretty nice.

Also looking forward to Co-op and Deathmatch in Doom2 on live.

... and you pulled that claim out of where, your ass?

Carmack, at quake con, talked about it. He pretty much said that the game would be Doom 3 dropped into the Tech5 engine.
 
... and you pulled that claim out of where, your ass?

Carmack himself said it during the Quakecon keynote.

It was something along the lines of "We made an early decision to just take what we needed to get it running nicely on the consoles alongside some other enhancements, but we should of just moved the entire game to the new engine. Also we need to check that it's cool to release mod stuff because we'll be exposing code that RAGE used."

So the game wasn't completely and utterly ported to the new engine, but there are parts of it in play.
 
Anyone tried the stereoscopic 3D yet? Kinda curious about the 3D Vision support...
 
THIS GAME LOOKS FUCKING WORSE THEN THE ORIGINAL.

That is all. Im REALLY REALLY shocked ID has gone this downhill

HD remake....more like Horribly Disappointed.
 
So are the graphics on the PC version actually improved?
Carmack, at quake con, talked about it. He pretty much said that the game would be Doom 3 dropped into the Tech5 engine.
But it makes it sound like the game is running on Tech5.
 
So are the graphics on the PC version actually improved?
But it makes it sound like the game is running on Tech5.

I just played about 30 minutes of the original campaign, and I don't see any improved graphics. Yes, you can have a flashlight on while holding a gun, but it doesn't cast shadows like it used to. I loaded up the lost mission campaign and it looks the same as the original graphics. I still see muddy, blurry textures. Other than the new 3d settings (3d vision, etc.), I think you can do better with 3rd party texture mods. For crying out loud, I still see polygonal model heads!
 
Last edited:
image_useNormalCompression 0

Problem solved.

Probably safe to say, though, that normals are compressed with an algorithm specifically designed for normal maps. These didn't exist in 2004, so there was actually a quality penalty back then.
 
image_useNormalCompression 0

Problem solved.

Probably safe to say, though, that normals are compressed with an algorithm specifically designed for normal maps. These didn't exist in 2004, so there was actually a quality penalty back then.

Type this in the console or edit an cfg?
 
Thats just sad

Its not exactly a shock after Rage though.

I just didn't think ID would make the same mistake again after the HORRIBLE backlash from Rage on PC.

I guess they just dont care about PC anymore.
 
Back
Top