• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

doom 3 bfg edition

  • Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
At the native resolution of my monitors, it is less than 15 FPS. And it still looks the same as 2004... terribly optimized.

Very disappointed. id should be ashamed to have released this.
 
At the native resolution of my monitors, it is less than 15 FPS. And it still looks the same as 2004... terribly optimized.

Very disappointed. id should be ashamed to have released this.

Well, with an AMD card that is no surprise. AMD's opengl support is pretty shitty.
 
I was wondering how long it would be before it turned into a nVidia vs AMD fest.

What, I can't even run sikmod with my AMD card. So forget about Doom 3 with mods. Rage and brink were both awful at launch. My opengl source ports all run worse. I can't run darkplaces with pretty water.

In your case it is AMD's fault and it is a fact that their opengl support is shitty. Its something that they need to improve on, not that I ever see that happening.
 
Game's running at 120 fps on my AMD card. Not sure what the problem is there, exactly.

Some early observations:

- Game's certainly brighter. Recommend setting gamma to .7 or .8 or so, and knocking brightness down to about .9.
- Still need to launch with +set com_allowConsole 1 to enable the console. No change there.
- Motion blur can be disabled. Seems to suck up a lot of performance.
- There are checkpoint saves, but quicksave still works as always. Checkpoints can be disabled with com_disableAutoSaves 1.
- Auto weapon reload can be disabled.
- The tick rate is still locked to 60 Hz. Don't mix 120 Hz refresh rates and com_fixedTic 1.
- Swap-tear is supported out-of-the-box, even on AMD cards
- image_highQualityCompression might do something. It defaults to 0.
- AF is now changed with r_maxAnisotropicFiltering. Default is 4.
- [strike=1]FXAA is supported. Set fxaa_enabled to 1.[/s] Doesn't work.

EDIT: Actually, you can set com_fixedTic to 1 and just knock the timescale up by a factor of two to get the speed correct at 120 Hz. If you want.
 
Last edited:
I installed the 12.9 Beta 1 drivers and now it's getting insane FPS.

Still miffed that it's only high quality instead of ultra though. :/

Levels are more fun though, the lighting is a lot better.

Thanks for the good tips wonder... now if you can find a way to make it have the ultra quality... you'd be my hero <3

On another note... why is this game taking up so much more space than D3+ RoE originally? :confused:
 
I think I'll stick to my sikkmod + wolfen + Monoxead texture modded original.

edit: having the new lost mission would be cool though.. but the videos I have seen reek of console. sigh
 
Last edited:
aren't Doom 3 and the add-on the only ones that were 'remastered'?...how are the additional missions?
 
I just chatted with a BFG live streamer a little about the texture quality. His argument was that he was streaming at 640p and that I couldn't "see" them. It was still blatantly obvious that they were the same textures that were used in Doom 3.
 
THIS GAME LOOKS FUCKING WORSE THEN THE ORIGINAL.

That is all. Im REALLY REALLY shocked ID has gone this downhill

HD remake....more like Horribly Disappointed.

it's not a "HD remake". It's a re-release
 
aren't Doom 3 and the add-on the only ones that were 'remastered'?...how are the additional missions?
They've changed a few things in the base game as well, but nothing actually looks better to me. Just different.
 
So far I'm loving it. Played it for like 6 hours straight last night with the surround sound cranked.

The only real complaint I have is the controls aren't configurable. Call of Duty is really the gold standard for console FPS controller setups. iD should of followed that with Doom3 BFG. It's also mildly annoying that to use the grendades, you have to switch to them first. It would of been nice if they mapped it to a button, like most other FPS's, to throw them. Since part of the goal with this version was to make it a little more faster paced than the 04 release, that would of helped a bit.
 
Doom 3 in my opinion was WAYYY too repetitive...I installed Doom 3 BFG Edition, literally played for 5 minutes then uninstalled it. It took everything I had to play beat it the first time around years ago!

Same ole tiring played out bullshit. They need to stick to building engines instead of games.
 
I think I'll stick to my sikkmod + wolfen + Monoxead texture modded original.

edit: having the new lost mission would be cool though.. but the videos I have seen reek of console. sigh

The "Lost Missions" is nothing more than a small arena type level. Gotta run through different rooms with each room spawning seemingly infinite enemies. Was lame and shitty. Read my above post.
 
The "Lost Missions" is nothing more than a small arena type level. Gotta run through different rooms with each room spawning seemingly infinite enemies. Was lame and shitty. Read my above post.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably skip this one even though I am a huge doom fan. I am replaying the original (again) all modded up.. it amazing how good it looks being how old it is.
 
EDIT: Although I see what you're saying since DOOM III was so different in gameplay from DOOM I and II. A remake of those games attempting the same gameplay would come out feeling like Painkiller/Serious Sam.

I was going to say the same thing. Doom III played nothing like the first two games and in a sense that's a good thing otherwise it would feel like Painkiller / Serious Sam. Unfortunately they used the same basic scare tactics over and over again leading to a repetative and ultimately forgettable experience.
 
I'm not sure if this is a repost, but you get $10 off if you have the original on Steam.

vQkJZ.jpg
 
Noticed it was $20 for me too... and I think I'll pass. Its not like the graphics are leaps and bounds more advance.

Oh well, hopefully DOOM 4 will be good.
 
So orignal + mods > this is the consensus unsurprisingly?

Looks to me like a monstrous waste of mine. I'd rather buy a box of turds fresh female turds than pay AGAIN for a game that was lame to begin with.
 
Looks to me like a monstrous waste of mine. I'd rather buy a box of turds fresh female turds than pay AGAIN for a game that was lame to begin with.

you make it sound like fresh female turds are the worst kind of turds
 
you make it sound like fresh female turds are the worst kind of turds

There's a reason I said that too. It's because they are. I'm about to throw the thread over the rails, but have you been to the toilet after a chick takes a raging dump? It smells so FUCKED UP. GOD. :mad:

Compared to other "fucked up shits" dudes take. Not saying they aren't bad, but god almighty. The next time a woman tells me I stunk up the bathroom, I'll go find the damn shit she took in the sewer canal if I have to, and throw it on her desk.
 
There's a reason I said that too. It's because they are. I'm about to throw the thread over the rails, but have you been to the toilet after a chick takes a raging dump? It smells so FUCKED UP. GOD. :mad:

Compared to other "fucked up shits" dudes take. Not saying they aren't bad, but god almighty. The next time a woman tells me I stunk up the bathroom, I'll go find the damn shit she took in the sewer canal if I have to, and throw it on her desk.

sounds like you been picking the wrong ones.
 
sounds like you been picking the wrong ones.

Nah just talking about people at work, rofl. I can't notice anything after my gf is done back home. Seriously, what are they eating? Enough god damn yogurt and cracker bars or w/e the hell the "hip healthy" thing is nowadays.
 
Nah just talking about people at work, rofl. I can't notice anything after my gf is done back home. Seriously, what are they eating? Enough god damn yogurt and cracker bars or w/e the hell the "hip healthy" thing is nowadays.

fiberone bars man they are delicious. helps me with my IBS
 
fiberone bars man they are delicious. helps me with my IBS

Hahahah way off topic but...one night I was at a restaurant waiting to go pee...out of the bathroom walks a relatively attractive blonde girl..I drunkenly smile...walk into the bathroom OMFGWTF the stink from her apparently taking a dump was unbearable. :eek:
 
Hahahah way off topic but...one night I was at a restaurant waiting to go pee...out of the bathroom walks a relatively attractive blonde girl..I drunkenly smile...walk into the bathroom OMFGWTF the stink from her apparently taking a dump was unbearable. :eek:

YES. THIS.

Now we're on the same page. That wet, soggy, rustic smell. Seriously. WTF.
 
If you're a gamer and have been living under a rock since 1996 and missed out on all the doom games it seems like this might be a cool option... but from all the reading I have done looks like they should have called it the "wtf" edition... I'd rather they direct all resources to doom 4..
 
Was looking forward to this, but based on the feedback here and elsewhere will pass. Not a good deal if you own the original Doom 3.

To be fair though, console only gamers are getting a nice package. 60 fps and above average graphics.
 
This is a full $20 if you already own it? It should barely hit $20 for resale, anyway. No thank you, not looking forward to backtracking through every single hallway I just cleared, only to have more imps jump out at me from wall and ceiling panels. Oh, found the key, time to go back...hmm, wonder what will happen now? :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top