• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

doom 3 bfg edition

  • Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
I never finished the game, it was too nerve wracking because it was the same thing every two minutes, lights go off, so you know when they come back on, there is going to be a monster there. Not scary because it's not surprising, it just grinds on your nerves over time. It was stressful to play, not scary in a fun way.
 
I honestly can't tell if there's any significance from the original DOOM 3
 
Are they doing Mega Texture Pop or whatever that shit is in Rage again?
 
I never finished the game, it was too nerve wracking because it was the same thing every two minutes, lights go off, so you know when they come back on, there is going to be a monster there. Not scary because it's not surprising, it just grinds on your nerves over time. It was stressful to play, not scary in a fun way.

This was my problem.

Game got to repetitive too quickly! I honestly think Doom 3 would have been 10x better if the game were 10x shorter.
 
Remastered, eh? Aside from maybe the plasma gun viewmodel, it looked identical to what I played in 2004.
 
Looks identical, only way id play it again would be with that VR headset.
 
Curious, if I literally own everything DOOM for the PC (via Steam) do you think they will come out with a version that will notice that and discount the price for me?
 
Curious, if I literally own everything DOOM for the PC (via Steam) do you think they will come out with a version that will notice that and discount the price for me?

I think they'll notice you own all the Doom stuff and then raise the price assuming you buy everything related to Doom.
 
There are community texture and lighting packs that look WAY better.
 
I think this was just "remastered" for current-gen consoles while the PC version online includes small modernization such as the ability to use the flashlight any time and support for wide resolutions. DOOM 3 came along before wide monitors were common.
 
I think this was just "remastered" for current-gen consoles while the PC version online includes small modernization such as the ability to use the flashlight any time and support for wide resolutions. DOOM 3 came along before wide monitors were common.

There is a executable community patch that adds a shit ton more resolutions... been playing Doom 3 lately at 1920x1080 as if it was native. Great patch.
 
There is a executable community patch that adds a shit ton more resolutions... been playing Doom 3 lately at 1920x1080 as if it was native. Great patch.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500

This one allows for higher resolutions and optional graphical tweaks as well as updated textures.

If they are seriously focusing this release on consoles any further discussion of this remake should be banned from these forums.
 
I can understand remaking halo 1 because even halo 2 showed a vast improvement over halo 1 on the same console. Doom 3 was pretty high tech for its time though its old now. I think i would rather have seen doom 1 and 2 redone using id tech 5...

BTW Hard Reset looks amazing and has that neat looking blade runner mixed atmostphere. I bought it for 3.75 on steam deal and havent played it. Blasted steam and my 50-60 games backlog. I also picked up complete borderlands for 6.75 past sunday. That game is a blast and neat looking, though not as good looking as hard reset. Anybody tried the coop/multiplayer of Borderlands
 
Last edited:
Got a chance to play it at QuakeCon.

Things I noticed.

It looked really fluid on one of their 120hz Asus monitors
It was pretty cool to play it in 3D.
I noticed that the textures all looked higher res and sharper.
The smoke effects looked to be better from what I remember.
The game was a little brighter in turn giving the game more depth with more to look at.


Not sure If I'm going to wait to get this or just buy the Steam pack with Doom 3 + RE and try to get the Sikkmod working.
 
The big thing that will make or break this is: 1) How many console peeps will buy this. 2) How good is the new levels. 3) how big of a jump will it be compared to the original. It doesnt sound like too big of a jump, yet. Even Halo 1 to Halo 2 showed quite a bit difference in graphics quality, on the same console. Hell even Super mario borthers vs SMB 3 showed a bit different on the nintendo, Yet SMB 3 allstars vs SMB 3 didnt show that much difference compared to SMB 1 vs SMB 1 allstars.

I really think a True HD remake of Doom 1 and 2 woudl be amazing.
 
Just like most things these days it looks very "meh"

Since Doom was pretty moddable (in every iteration) the community has already provided (for free) better textures/lighting/gameplay. Why pay 40-60 dollars for something being puked back up for a quick buck?

Being 30 years old, I was the kid playing Doom and Doom II and almost shitting myself during the game because it was so new/awesome/fun/scary. Just opening a door and hearing some Imps hissing over my sound blaster 16 when I know I only have a few pistol rounds... scary stuff.

Seems like every game company these days has an incredibly hard time coming up with with fresh ideas. That being the case I would pay good money for a PROPER excellent remake of the original Doom and Doom II.

Of course the more you think about it -- all that would really happen would be the rape of my precious childhood memories. I'd rather remember a highly pixelated 16 bit world that some consolized kiddie money grab. Not to mention that they would release each "episode" of the original doom as a 40 dollar "DLC" I'm sure.

We can dream though -- would be amazing fun if they could pull it off bringing Doom to the 64 bit DX11 world and still retain all the level design, characters, and what not.
 
I bought RAGE over the weekend and I'm loving it so far. It's just a really tight and fast-paced game. I'm only a couple hours in but my urge early Sunday morning is to fire it up even though I have work to do.

The "edge texturing" is amazing, where the sides of rocks and stuff actually look right for the first time that I can remember. I am seeing a slight bit of texture streaming visible at the sides of the image. At the top of the dam it was more pronounced. Kinda disappointing but only happens if you whip the mouse around. My gaming drive is a WD Caviar Black (system drive is a Vertex3 SSD).
 
I absolutely loved DOOM III. So incredibly immersive and scary. This looks like the same game with ambient lighting. Is this coming for PC? I will probably add this to my Steam account on impulsve once it's $15 or less. I paid $10 for RAGE over the weekend and it's feeling like a massive bargain.
 
I can understand remaking halo 1 because even halo 2 showed a vast improvement over halo 1 on the same console. Doom 3 was pretty high tech for its time though its old now. I think i would rather have seen doom 1 and 2 redone using id tech 5...

BTW Hard Reset looks amazing and has that neat looking blade runner mixed atmostphere. I bought it for 3.75 on steam deal and havent played it. Blasted steam and my 50-60 games backlog. I also picked up complete borderlands for 6.75 past sunday. That game is a blast and neat looking, though not as good looking as hard reset. Anybody tried the coop/multiplayer of Borderlands

DOOM III was a remake of DOOM I and II. Trivia: the events of QUAKE IV occur simultaneously with QUAKE II (but it's different events, so not a remake).

EDIT: Although I see what you're saying since DOOM III was so different in gameplay from DOOM I and II. A remake of those games attempting the same gameplay would come out feeling like Painkiller/Serious Sam.
 
Last edited:
rage ran shitty on my system (see sig) so I didn't care for it.
 
this game is supposed to be revamped with id tech 5 yet it still looks shitty compared to hard reset a game by a smaller shop using dx9

d3 bfg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYq2XWAQxUk

granted the d3 trailer was a console one...

here's hardreset at 1080p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdhXEDX6h4c

It wasn't ported to tech 5, rather some tech 5 improvements (like being multi-system) were backported to tech 4. It also runs 60 fps, but just barely on the consoles, according to carmack. The way the engine handles things (read: multi-pass everything, lots of lights / shadows and it's a forward renderer) leads to it being heavier on the GPU in certain scenes than RAGE was.

Also no shit a game from 2011 looks better than one from 2004.
 
but you could also make the argument that rage with all its problems and its fancy renderer still didnt look as good as hardreset did
 
It wasn't ported to tech 5, rather some tech 5 improvements (like being multi-system) were backported to tech 4. It also runs 60 fps, but just barely on the consoles, according to carmack.
It's worth pointing out, too, that BFG will scale up to 120 Hz on PCs, which is something the original game would not do. Carmack apparently figured out that decoupling the renderer is a Good Thing To Do.

I enjoyed the original quite a lot and I'm looking forward to playing through it again. Just hoping that the ambient lighting adjustments they've made aren't too dramatic.
 
It's worth pointing out, too, that BFG will scale up to 120 Hz on PCs, which is something the original game would not do. Carmack apparently figured out that decoupling the renderer is a Good Thing To Do.

I enjoyed the original quite a lot and I'm looking forward to playing through it again. Just hoping that the ambient lighting adjustments they've made aren't too dramatic.

I have a 120hz monitor so butter smooth Doom 3 should be excellent. I imagine it'll be a bit more actiony now that you can turn your flashlight on at any time, though I kind of liked throwing down against imps with my fucking fists alongside cracking pinky's in the teeth with my maglight.

but you could also make the argument that rage with all its problems and its fancy renderer still didnt look as good as hardreset did

Rage was designed to run 60 fps on the CONSOLES, let alone a PC. Also, Carmack said that Doom 3 was apparently just as expensive to render, if not more at times, than Rage. The lighting was apparently to blame, the many passes over the scene from the dynamic nature becomes expensive.
 
Last edited:
Huge Doom fan here. Any word on whether the remake will run all right on AMD video cards? Historically Open GL titles have run poorly on AMD and great on Nvidia. I played Rage on my laptop (nvidia 570m) to avoid all the headaches that game caused on AMD gpu's.
 
Huge Doom fan here. Any word on whether the remake will run all right on AMD video cards? Historically Open GL titles have run poorly on AMD and great on Nvidia. I played Rage on my laptop (nvidia 570m) to avoid all the headaches that game caused on AMD gpu's.

Which is ironic if i recall correctly because doom 3 was first demoed on Mac with ATI card.
 
Huge Doom fan here. Any word on whether the remake will run all right on AMD video cards? Historically Open GL titles have run poorly on AMD and great on Nvidia. I played Rage on my laptop (nvidia 570m) to avoid all the headaches that game caused on AMD gpu's.

I beat the game for the first time on a 9600xt, it was fine. If I remember right, my later x1900 ran it full tilt with ease. I've beaten the game like 4 times and I think every time except for one was on ATI hardware with no issues. Rage was an enigma, hardly the norm.

It's mostly 2004 tech, your modern video card and modern drivers are going to fucking trounce this game, what are you worried about?
 
I beat the game for the first time on a 9600xt, it was fine. If I remember right, my later x1900 ran it full tilt with ease. I've beaten the game like 4 times and I think every time except for one was on ATI hardware with no issues. Rage was an enigma, hardly the norm.

It's mostly 2004 tech, your modern video card and modern drivers are going to fucking trounce this game, what are you worried about?

That other game they put out called Rage that still won't run for me.
 
I think they'll notice you own all the Doom stuff and then raise the price assuming you buy everything related to Doom.

...LOL. :D

Cageymaru said:
That other game they put out called Rage that still won't run for me.

Rage won't run for you? Like, it won't start?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Any word on whether the remake will run all right on AMD video cards?
The current version runs fine on my AMD card. I don't expect they'll be deviating too greatly from the current rendering codepath, so I wouldn't expect problems.

...comparing 8 year old Direct X 9 game to 1 year old Direct X 9 game. :confused:
There's a bizarre "API versions are everything" mentality that's pretty prevalent here. Some people won't even buy a D3D9 game regardless of how well it looks or how well it performs simply because it's not D3D10/11. I'm not sure how these people figure out what OpenGL games to boycott based on API version, with all its real-world conformance and extension complexities.
 
Rage won't run for you? Like, it won't start?

If you call 15 fps with everything on low and textures popping in like a fireworks show running then yea it runs. :) I get 60 fps in BF3 for reference. ID Software doesn't like AMD gear or something.
 
If you call 15 fps with everything on low and textures popping in like a fireworks show running then yea it runs. :) I get 60 fps in BF3 for reference. ID Software doesn't like AMD gear or something.

Huh, that's odd. Granted when I played it it was back in October I believe? I still had my older desktop back then, running an eVGA 580 SC. It still runs like shit on AMD?
 
Back
Top