Don't Expect New GeForce GPU for a Long Time

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

This could also be the lead up to:
    "We heard your outcry, and we shared in your disappointment that we weren't going to release anything for a while. We love faster stuff too, that's why I wear a leather jacket and all. And we happen to have Volta ready "early", so behold..."

2. readeh

readeh Limp Gawd

Late July to early September for GTX 1180 release.

3. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

Oh you must have that magical setup where SLI works in every game and without issues...

4. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

Of 2019 not 2018.

What incentive do they have of launching a new card? If amd isn't nipping at their heels, they have no major incentive to push a new card out. It's going to be awhile before they launch a new card. If there was any inkling of a new card, we would have had some sort of whiff of it somewhere.

What boggles my mind is, Why are people grumpy about this? 1080 is more then enough performance for most stuff out there. It's not as if we need another card.

R_Type likes this.
  5. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Because it was a tech driven industry. Now it is like cars. Cars, same shit different exterior. No advancement, no better MPG, just cars.
    Welcome DGPU, welcome to the game. You have peaked.

6. pentiumiiislota

pentiumiiislota Limp Gawd

Maybe they are waiting to see what intel does or doesn't do with their gpu division.

7. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Every time there is an article or discussion on gpus, people blame amd for not competing.
    They say amd can't compete with the ti so what's the point... No wonder nvidia doesn't need to do anything.

People forget the ti is a few percent of the market at most. The vast majority, 95%+ of the market for gaming gpus, is product that and competes with. Sure Vega prices are high in US but rest of world where power costs more, it's not so bad.
    I also notice most of these people not running a ti but bagging on amd performance. Insecurity?

What amd can string out of gcn on the 7nm process in near future may be quite interesting given no new geforce to raise the bar higher. Can AMD catch up? This might be the chance they needed.

Zuul likes this.
  8. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

Yep - It's MS's fault, AMDs fault, Intel's fault.. Astrological Alignment, Pair of Marbles.. Not NV.. everything else but.

ChadD, Ranulfo and Zuul like this.
  9. readeh

readeh Limp Gawd

So if there wasn't anything called AMD you don't think Nvidia would ever release new cards? I have heard a whiff, but you apparently haven't. Just sold my 1080ti and using my 1070 now while waiting for 1180 release which should be before Battlefield 5 release for high-end. I haven't put any money into any of my last 3 GPU upgrades and this is gonna be my fourth GPU without using extra cash since buying the GTX 980.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  10. babochee

babochee Gawd

Gaming at 60hz, no matter the resolution, is for peasants. My 1080ti's barely give me the fps I want at 1080p.

11. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

gtx1060 should last me until 2022.
    graphical demand in games has stagnated.

LightsOut41, jlbenedict and Peter2k like this.
  12. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

This could be related to NVidia not wanting sales stats on new cards showing a slump because of GPP, to prevent a backlash from investors.
    Instead they delay releases and optimise the processes to give 2nd gen performance on release to be sure of high sales.
    It also negatively affects tech sites who rely on new releases for their traffic.
    No doubt a ton more reasons went into it.

13. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Too bad. I'd have loved some concrete gpus :LOL:

GoldenTiger likes this.
  14. Tweak155

Tweak155 Gawd

You missed the number one issue IMO... the consumers.

You think NVidia won't release something when people stop buying? Lots of factors can cause launches to be pushed out, and I really think AMD is a minor slice of the pie.

15. R_Type

R_Type Limp Gawd

Ok I should've been more specific: the 7nm class nodes aren't ready yet.

Going down to a 12nm class would cost a few dozen million dollars (rearrange design for changes to 12nm design rules, new masks, prototyping) for a marginal benefit and since 7nm is bearing down on us relatively fast it would be short lived. In that sense nvidia is under no pressure to fork out that kind of dough.

16. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

NVIDIA always likes to one-up AMD, so it will probably launch closer to 7nm Vega.

lostin3d likes this.
  17. knowom

knowom Limp Gawd

18. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

I have to agree. Pascal released in very much that way. I've also commented how with this present cycle they seem to be mix matching just about every component they have to piece together every kind of model imaginable. In doing so they've flooded the market to such a degree their dominance is fully established for the time being. Basically I can see this continuing until they've sold every scrap of past/present/and even forthcoming r&d leftovers before pushing out truly new designs.

19. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

Good point, the consumers buying cards on the verge of being obsolete.

20. cptnjarhead

cptnjarhead Crossfit Fast Walk Champion Runnerup

This is an interesting time... new PC gaming GPUs could see stagnation?
    How about consoles?... Could they see more improvements (on the current tech) than the PC market? They have the most room for improvement... even though its more like catching up, but the primary market wont see it that way. The consoles already have exclusive titles.... could see even more. One of the main reasons for gaming on PC is new tech.... Sure re-vamped cards will come out, but i dont see a need to upgrade, but consoles have much more room to grow and i dont want to see more devs going to consoles. If the new PC hardware market is crypto crunching... then PC gaming could go into the dark ages.

21. ZLoth

ZLoth Gawd

How much of nVidia's (and AMD's, for that matter) business is gaming cards anyways?

22. pgaster

pgaster [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe this is just a play on words. It could be time for the GeForce brand name to be replaced.

23. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

AFAIK its still the main source of income for nvidia at least.

24. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

NVIDIA's gaming business was 53.4% of their generated revenue in 2017. It was 3x higher than data centers, their second largest business segment.

25. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

And be aware that nvidia is the leader in pretty much all the markets its in. AI, Self-Driving, HPC, etc.

26. R_Type

R_Type Limp Gawd

First and foremost there's no 7nm tech ready for a new card. That does kinda get in the way of things.

27. R_Type

R_Type Limp Gawd

I sincerely believe the gcn replacement program was sacrificed to pay for zen development. Hence we got gcn +++++

Then again gcn was old and tired like 3 years ago at least. It's been jazzed up and was very forward looking (Dx12 is strong) but please please please let it be retired

N4CR likes this.
  28. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

Put your money where your mouth and and prove it. What have you heard?

29. TimberVD

TimberVD n00b

I never said that is what I believed, I just said what a lot of people will believe. Like I said, people are funny like that. I agree largely with what you posted though!

30. SickBeast

SickBeast Limp Gawd

31. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Grain of salt since source is same as the clown that swore GDC would be the announcement.

Still I think it'll be this summer sometime, though prob late summer for the announce.

SickBeast likes this.
  32. Jehuty

Jehuty Limp Gawd

I only buy a new card once every 3-4 years anyway, I’m perfectly happy with waiting for a substantial upgrade instead of having all these smaller incremental ones.

Should also give AMD some time to catch up.

33. Redmud

Redmud [H]Lite

Nvidia will be waiting for a Long Time for my money then.

34. cdr_74_premium

cdr_74_premium [H]ard|Gawd

3l33t, d00d!

GoldenTiger likes this.
  35. Elios

Elios [H]ardness Supreme

unless you use VR ... NEED MORE POWER

36. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Finally. Been waiting for this feature to be added into their next gen. Will it be enabled by default, or are there some special settings in the NCP that need to be turned on?

Dudhunter likes this.
  37. LightsOut41

LightsOut41 Limp Gawd

Fuck it. I just caved and bought a 1080ti at MSRP. I'm tired of this bullshit waiting game and my GTX970 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

38. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

Not a bad purchase. I'd hold it till the next Ti comes out.

39. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

You will be in awe of it.
    Few things are really worth the cost but this is.

40. kinjo

kinjo [H]ard|Gawd

They have no competition thus no incentive to release anything new.

Tags: