Do you vertical mount?

Orddie

2[H]4U
L@@king for a new case and kinda like the idea of going vertical

case I'm thinking of going with has vertical GPU mounting, Corsair Obsidian 500d RBG SE

thoughts?

I personally avoid it. Sure, it looks cool, but since the card is often close to the side of the case, it makes it more difficult for the fans to pull in air, meaning the card will run hotter and you might run in to thermal throttling. I’m more concerned with the performance of my rig than how cool it looks when I’m looking at it while it’s running. I design my builds for airflow first and aesthetics second.

Yeah, I wouldn't want the downsides myself... All you see is fans spinning. Now, the old acrylic top mods for hard drives where you'd see the actuator and heads moving as they read or wrote on the disk were cool.

I have a Tower 900 with a vertical mount. I think it looks pretty cool. Honestly, as long as you have a good case, you won't notice a performance hit. If the case has bad ventilation, you're probably going to have bad performance regardless.

forget cooling... it's only something you can do without performance issues with last gen pcie. pcie 4.x has very tight tolerances for the electrical signals and any kind of extension is going to cause problems in the form of signal errors.

Nope, my case doesn't support vertical mount by default and I have no vented side panels. But if the option is there, I probably won't do it since I hardly look at the side of case anyway.

Last edited:
The case i have on the way supports dual vertical mount. Ill see what the measurements between the cooler and side panel are. There are also spots for fans to blow up from under the card.

forget cooling... it's only something you can do without performance issues with last gen pcie. pcie 4.x has very tight tolerances for the electrical signals and any kind of extension is going to cause problems in the form of signal errors.
Not if you buy the right extension. It isnt pretty but its lossless up to 1m on PCIE3 and PCIE4. If you buy a 40 dollar extension you will have issues though.
upload_2019-9-3_1-38-44.png

Thanks all

was sold until the comment of $40 extension cable.
We used to mine, and go figure, just threw all the extension stuff out. Micro center has the thermal take extension cable, for $40. Was gonna give it a go

L@@king for a new case and kinda like the idea of going vertical

case I'm thinking of going with has vertical GPU mounting, Corsair Obsidian 500d RBG SE

thoughts?
I've got an itx that has it this way.... Works fine for my case, fans basically point straight at vent in case so no issues with drawing air in. Since the case was designed for this mounting it came with the necessary cabling. Small case (compared to my mid/full towers) yet fits a full size GPU, much more portable and skinnier with the GPU mounted vertical.

It is cool when you are using custom water blocks on your you. I personally don't care. My computer is stuffed between my desk and couch where nothing can be seen.

I vertically mounted my Aorus 2080Ti and like it. Used the Cooler Master bracket and slightly modified my Corsair 780T case to accommodate and have had zero issues. My card sits at least 4+ inches away from the side of the case and never goes over 62C when gaming.

Looking at the official Corsair gallery I think a 2.5+ slot thick card might not fit at all; at best you'd have severely restricted airflow vs even a 2 slot card.

Telling I think is that the build pictures in the gallery were done with the GPU mounted normally. Unless I missed it they didn't install the card vertically even once...

My Thermaltake Core P5 has a vertical mount bracket. It works the best with water cooling, where you don't need the space between the front of the graphics card and the case panel for air to pass through, but at least in the P5, that can be dealt with either by mounting the card closer to the motherboard or by leaving off the case's front panel. I've used it in the past for shiggles, but I'm not using it currently, as you really need 90 degree fittings to get the hoses to connect when using it, and I didn't feel like dealing with that the last time I replaced my graphics card.

In an enclosed case, I probably wouldn't bother. The companies that make graphics card generally assume you'll be mounting it normally, and put all the RGB disco lights on it so you can see them from the back.

Thanks all

was sold until the comment of $40 extension cable.
We used to mine, and go figure, just threw all the extension stuff out. Micro center has the thermal take extension cable, for $40. Was gonna give it a go
The Thermaltake cable works pretty well. They offer a few different lengths, and even the cheapest one they sell currently works just fine for me.

They did offer a different version of the cable when the Core P5 first went on sale that didn't work perfectly for everyone, but that was years ago. The cable they offer now is different. I've had one of both the new and old designs, and they both worked for me.

The Thermaltake cable works pretty well. They offer a few different lengths, and even the cheapest one they sell currently works just fine for me.

They did offer a different version of the cable when the Core P5 first went on sale that didn't work perfectly for everyone, but that was years ago. The cable they offer now is different. I've had one of both the new and old designs, and they both worked for me.
agree! we got one at the local MicroCenter and has working Solid for me.

I did a vertical mount in my Fractal R6:

Standard and vertical mount with full Disco mode:
Interior of R6.jpg vGPU.jpg

Temps up 2°-3°C while gaming on the card.

dat static inducing carpet and plastic air ducts
The motherboard is on a metal tray.
No electronic component is mounted directly on the carpet except the PSU.
Its been running for 3 years with no problem.

I haven't ever mounted a video card like that as I typically ran two video cards or needed other expansion slots. I'm thinking about doing it in my case, but I'd need to change things up quite a bit to pull that off. I'd have to ditch the Intel SSD 750 I'm using for my games and I'd need an integrated 10GbE NIC on the motherboard that can also do 2.5GbE and 5GbE speeds. Since I'm running a Core i9 9900KF, I am not really looking to change motherboards so late in the life cycle of these CPU's. I'm looking toward what the next generation Threadripper CPU's bring to the table. Alternatively, I may end up going with a Ryzen 3900X or 3950X and the MSI GODLIKE motherboard. We'll see though.

because static does not ark. kinda playing with fire, can't believe it lasted that long.
I guess you havent seen this type of ducting before, it has a metal wire running through it.
It cannot build up enough charge to arc.

Carpet will not generate static if nothing rubs against it.
Even if static was building up, it would discharge near anything metal.
ie anything that has electronics on/in it with my build

You should take a look for C700M. It also has the PCIe Riser in the bunder. Worth Looking this.

You should take a look for C700M. It also has the PCIe Riser in the bunder. Worth Looking this.

Seeing all the reviews from people who bought a $500 Cooler Master case reinforces my belief that some people not only want to be ripped off, they have a fetish for it.

edit: actually, CM did include a fan, and only 20% of the case looks to be plastic, so a pretty good deal.

Last edited:
ive tried it air cooled and they run about 10+ c hotter on avg.

If your water cooling then vertical away.

Back