Divinity: Original Sin

@Comixbooks. Both games are based on reading a ton of dialogue. If curling up with a good book is your idea of a good time then these games may appeal to you. ;) With that said I really need to make more time for this game. Must. Stop. Playing. Warframe.

I tend to agree there is way WAYYYY to much text in this game, its boring, im just skipping all of it now.

Ive come across some pretty major bugs.

In the first city theres a celler with a sort of prison area. If you engage the gaurds, and you use teleport and put on of them in a locked cell the NPC doesnt know what to do and it takes forever for his move to resolve, i mean 1-2 minutes. Another in the murder investigation or jakes wife, she was all the way across the restaurant and i went into the back room, it freezes you because shes supposed to come and chastise you. It even did the dialog about some stern chastisement in 3...2...1 but she was stuck and never got there. Couldnt do anything had to reload a save

Luckily I haven't come across any bugs yet. There is a lot of dialogue but I find it enjoyable.

My only real pet peeve with this game is the personality trait bonuses. Having to worry about choosing the right response to get the bonuses for my build completely ruins any role play. I end up reloading to choose the 'right' answer rather than responding how I feel.

So I just found the Invulnerability witchcraft skillbook... and the cooldown is 94 turns. This equates to about 8 minutes of real-time for 2 seconds of invulnerability :eek:

So I just found the Invulnerability witchcraft skillbook... and the cooldown is 94 turns. This equates to about 8 minutes of real-time for 2 seconds of invulnerability :eek:

2 seconds... is that one turn or two in combat?

Luckily I haven't come across any bugs yet. There is a lot of dialogue but I find it enjoyable.

My only real pet peeve with this game is the personality trait bonuses. Having to worry about choosing the right response to get the bonuses for my build completely ruins any role play. I end up reloading to choose the 'right' answer rather than responding how I feel.

The only bug I've found was more of an annoyance. One time, upon ressurecting my main character the animation "stuck" so all you could see was his armor after which it appeared he was floating. All commands (move, attack, cast etc.) seemed to work, but he would stay stuck without any animations (also, other NPCs didn't seem to notice him). I simply had to have one of my other characters kill him, then ressurect him again which "unstuck" him.

Here's a quick tip I picked up from a fellow gamer.

As soon as you appear.
Grab the rain scroll to the right.
Skip the tutorial dungeon, go right to Cyseal, then to Auerus(sp) to get permission to see the murder scene. Put out the fire on the harbor boat if you want. I do it before hitting the gate b/c there is a chest to the left after the first orc fight.
On the way to the Inn, stop by the mayor's house and steal him blind. Everything worth $$. Sell everything, you need about 1200g total.
Go to either see Evelyn or the murder scene. (ported!)
Check out the Homestead while you're there.
Port back to Cyseal, head to whichever one you didn't visit. (ported, again)
Now visit Hall of Heroes, and pick up MotherFucking Cain. And whoever else fills out your party best. I would get someone with high perception however, if you don't have it on your main char.
Now carry on with Mr BadAss in your party.

Also, customize your skills, you don't have to take the cookie cutter builds at the char creation.
Make one of your goons your crafter / loremaster so you can focus on fun stuff!
Find crafting guides, they can help a TON.

I'm running a Cleric 1h with a Pyro Wiz and Cain / Ranger. Totally fun.
Also have a Shadowblade (Leech/Witch-Bleed) (me) and Pyro/Water Wiz (wife)

I've run into two "major" bugs now, one game-breaking and the other possibly game-breaking.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW!

1. It is incredibly easy for zombie Jake to die in the fight where you actually find him. I had to teleport him out of the fight, flee combat, and go back to actually start/finish the fight. That way he wouldn't re-engage in combat and get killed. The story is stuck when he dies.

2. I'm unable to start the Immaculate Initiation tests. I took the verbal test and made it to the skull cave. The first hallway infects your party with rot and then a door is supposed to open. My characters all already were infected with rot and the door never opens. Based on this, I assume a script triggers when the party gets rot from the hallway, but it doesn't check if they already all have rot. I went around this by going to the Dark Forest and finding an alternate way back into Luculla Forest to continue with the story line. I'm currently saved right at the point right before the fight with Mangoth (I got my ass kicked half a dozen times then decided it was time for bed).

Here's a quick tip I picked up from a fellow gamer.

As soon as you appear.
Grab the rain scroll to the right.
Skip the tutorial dungeon, go right to Cyseal, then to Auerus(sp) to get permission to see the murder scene. Put out the fire on the harbor boat if you want. I do it before hitting the gate b/c there is a chest to the left after the first orc fight.
On the way to the Inn, stop by the mayor's house and steal him blind. Everything worth $$. Sell everything, you need about 1200g total.
Go to either see Evelyn or the murder scene. (ported!)
Check out the Homestead while you're there.
Port back to Cyseal, head to whichever one you didn't visit. (ported, again)
Now visit Hall of Heroes, and pick up MotherFucking Cain. And whoever else fills out your party best. I would get someone with high perception however, if you don't have it on your main char.
Now carry on with Mr BadAss in your party.

Also, customize your skills, you don't have to take the cookie cutter builds at the char creation.
Make one of your goons your crafter / loremaster so you can focus on fun stuff!
Find crafting guides, they can help a TON.

I'm running a Cleric 1h with a Pyro Wiz and Cain / Ranger. Totally fun.
Also have a Shadowblade (Leech/Witch-Bleed) (me) and Pyro/Water Wiz (wife)

Im steering away from these types of things because ive read even on hard difficulty the game gets extremely easy, which is really disappointing, I've enjoyed the difficulty at lower levels

Im steering away from these types of things because ive read even on hard difficulty the game gets extremely easy, which is really disappointing, I've enjoyed the difficulty at lower levels

Um, that isn't true. Hard is fucking hard. I'm typically a min-max guy and there's only been a couple fights I've had an 'easy' time with. Some skills like bloodletting/leech are a bit OP, yes. But you can choose not to use them. What I posted will help the average guy a bit early on.

Does the game's log stop keeping up for anyone else? I'll be playing and randomly the combat log will stop keeping up with what's currently active and i'll have to click the arrow to go to the bottom of the log. Then it'll do it all over again randomly. A little annoying.

Same here.

2 seconds... is that one turn or two in combat?

I believe it is two combat rounds... goes a lot faster outside of combat :)

I could see the spell being useful on a front line characters if you engage mobs above your level with four glass cannons. Otherwise, I'd say it's usefulness is minimal.

Does the game's log stop keeping up for anyone else? I'll be playing and randomly the combat log will stop keeping up with what's currently active and i'll have to click the arrow to go to the bottom of the log. Then it'll do it all over again randomly. A little annoying.

Same issue on occasion.

Log got stuck for me as well fighting lava dudes... who when they are 1-2 levels above you provide a great challenge.

I don't even have time to worry about mods or additional content, I'm probably only just past half way at 50 hours in.

I don't even have time to worry about mods or additional content, I'm probably only just past half way at 50 hours in.

ditto. No idea how much time i've put in, feels like a lot, My party is only level 5... but i tend to take forever with games like this.

ditto. No idea how much time i've put in, feels like a lot, My party is only level 5... but i tend to take forever with games like this.

My party is lvl 16. Character building remains fun, in my experience. Lots of cool abilities and ways to build a party.

The amount of content is actually pretty staggering. I've found so many little sidequests, I could see staying busy with the game for 100 hours.

My party is lvl 16. Character building remains fun, in my experience. Lots of cool abilities and ways to build a party.

The amount of content is actually pretty staggering. I've found so many little sidequests, I could see staying busy with the game for 100 hours.

My 3 person party is all level 21 and about to step into the final boss fight with 73 hours of game play. Pretty impressive amount of content!

Not bad at all.

And 74 hours to finish. I did most of the side quest material, but not all of it. I probably could have stretched it to like ~78 hours or so. The final fight was a bit easy, but I think a 4 person party would only have made it to level 20 and that one level is a big difference.

This is easily my game of the year. Pillars of Eternity, another KS that I backed, is the only upcoming game I can think of that may have a chance to outdo Original Sin. Can't wait to see expansion or mod content!

To illustrate how you can complete quests multiple ways... I had no idea there was a second teleporter pyramid until level 17...

That might have helped, but I never needed it until maybe the knight's tomb.

To illustrate how you can complete quests multiple ways... I had no idea there was a second teleporter pyramid until level 17...

Yea, I didn't realize it either. Funny thing is, I had teleported into that room multiple times. Just never picked the thing up. I always used the teleporting skills to get one character across obstacles etc.

After about 40ish hours, I decided to just go ahead and finish the main quest. Will be looking to replay this game some time down the road.

I wish more games had "lone wolf"! Finally a RPG party game that doesnt make me roll with 20 side kicks if I dont want to micro manage a bunch of shit. My ranger doesnt even have to use a pet!

Yep, same here! I didn't realize there was a second until I tried to get into the wizard's house in Hunter's Edge. Probably the same point in the game you were at ;)

I don't want spoilers, but I do have a couple questions:

1. There's a cellar near the lighthouse with a sarcophagus in it. The rats mention something about not touching it, yet touching it doesn't do anything. Is this a bug or have I missed something?

2. I met a dude named, I think, Dietrius on a beach with some of his pals, but this wasn't my first time reading his name. A rat mentioned him to me, or more specifically, an item of his, and the way the rat spoke made me think I'd already found this item. I suppose it's possible that I picked it up without realizing, so I searched my inventories yet didn't find it. Is it possible that I sold it?

Thanks!

edit: and a comment:

The caves with the gravestones... "In this cell's double..."... stumped me for a bit before I figured it out. Man that felt great, and I was well rewarded to boot! Fuckin awesome game.

I don't want spoilers, but I do have a couple questions:

1. There's a cellar near the lighthouse with a sarcophagus in it. The rats mention something about not touching it, yet touching it doesn't do anything. Is this a bug or have I missed something?

2. I met a dude named, I think, Dietrius on a beach with some of his pals, but this wasn't my first time reading his name. A rat mentioned him to me, or more specifically, an item of his, and the way the rat spoke made me think I'd already found this item. I suppose it's possible that I picked it up without realizing, so I searched my inventories yet didn't find it. Is it possible that I sold it?

Thanks!

edit: and a comment:

The caves with the gravestones... "In this cell's double..."... stumped me for a bit before I figured it out. Man that felt great, and I was well rewarded to boot! Fuckin awesome game.

1. I imagine the lid is pretty heavy. Barrels are, too. You can move barrels.

2. No. He has the item in question.

I wish more games had "lone wolf"! Finally a RPG party game that doesnt make me roll with 20 side kicks if I dont want to micro manage a bunch of shit. My ranger doesnt even have to use a pet!

does that mean you're by your self or do you have the buddy? (and does that buddy recruit?)

So...apparently... You really don't wanna kill the mayor or his adopted librarian ... I can still progress through the game, but the quest completion / sidestory that I missed has my game really screwed up.. so I'm gonna have to restart. Ugh.

So...apparently... You really don't wanna kill the mayor or his adopted librarian ... I can still progress through the game, but the quest completion / sidestory that I missed has my game really screwed up.. so I'm gonna have to restart. Ugh.

I have been curious about the effects of killing certain NPC's. Did it give you a quest failed indication? or.. how do you know it screwed up the game?

I have been curious about the effects of killing certain NPC's. Did it give you a quest failed indication? or.. how do you know it screwed up the game?

You cant turn in one of the side quests but it shouldnt be game breaking as its only a side quest. It just shows at least in this case there is a real consequence for a decision you make during questing, i wish there were more cases likely this but with consequences on both sides of the decision.

Does anyone know where the guys you save from the mechanical monster go when they say they're going to seek help from the legion? I've looked all over the legion compound but can't find them.

Also, I cleared the cave on the beach and feel I have the answer to why the orcs are attacking, but can't find anyone to turn the quest into. I figured someone should give a damn as to the purpose behind their presence...

Last edited:

It turned into four quests that I simply couldn't turn in, as they led to Charlene (his maid), the Librarian (adopted daughter), or the Mayor himself. The librarian attacked, charlene and mayor ran up during the fight, I killed the librarian then charlene decided to join in, but the mayor did not. The mayor just tells me he's sad about the librarian being dead, and no option to talk about quests. Killing the mayor doesn't fail the quests, they just sit hanging.

Back