Distributed Computing on Raspberry Pi

Endgame

Limp Gawd
I've long thought about getting a Pi to tinker around with but have never done so. Just curious about your expereince with the aforementioned FLIRC pi 4 case. Does it provide enough passive cooling to run all four cores on WCG (or other DC projects) 24/7? As I started to search for Pi4 cases and read reviews I saw a lot of mixed thoughts out there about the amount of heat generated and the cooling provided by these cases.
The Flirc case easily passively cools a stock pi 4. If you want to push over _voltage=5 and 2075 MHz, you’ll want to pop off the plastic top of the flic case, as that will net you a sizable drop in temp.

Do note that I run 10 pis in my basement, mixed between Rosetta and open pandemics. The basement rarely gets above 68F, so YMMV on passive cooling in warmer ambient temps.

Endgame

Limp Gawd
A short update on working with Pis - I've been spending some time trying to figure out network boot w/ iscsi targets for remote storage instead of NFS. It's been slow going as I can usually only work on it at nights when I'm already dead tired, but I seem to be making progress on that front (now my test pi boots then hangs).

Today I had a little extra time and decided to work on something different - I cut down everything running on Pi OS lite, and knocked out a number of services to free up both memory and CPU time. I removed (I think) around 50mb of ram usage, and reduced cpu overhead with the following things:

1) set static IP and disable dhcpd
2) disable wpa_supplicant (used with wifi, but I had already disabled wifi)
3) disable audio and remove drivers and associated software
4) disabled triggerhappy (hotkey daemon that controls things like keyboard volume control)
5) disable avahi-daemon (I don't need to advertise this host to the network)
6) migrate cron to systemd and disable the cron service
7) disable VC4 DRM driver and reduce framebuffers to 0

I still have a fair amount of idle used ram (126MB) - some of which is tied to using NFS that I should be able to remove once I switch to icsi, but I'll take any improvement I can get. If anyone is interested and wants to help trim down the Pi OS lite install, or do further research on disabling hardware to reduce pi power usage, I'd love to have some help!