Dishonored 2

Lots of other odd things to. The menu tilts back and fourth, making you accidentally click the wrong thing. You can be over "yes" and a fraction of a second later you will click "no" because the menu tilted. It makes reading things a little nauseating. Not too bad for me, but I can see it being horrible for others. Trying to close a door and brush it every so slightly? You're dead. Carrying a body that accidentally brushes against a window? Shattered glass, and everyone on the map is out to kill you. Shadow Walk - enemies can spot you just the same. You get around 2 meters of leeway using it. Whatever you can't sneak around normally you also can't with Shadow Walk. What was the point of this again? Poor map design limits this power.

Story is still "go here, kill this person" with little context. Clues are useless as they're so vague, you'll save more time just running around through the map. Some of them even reference rooms or areas that don't exist in the game. Or at least the terms are incorrect. Map scale is awkward to. For example, the Overseers set up camp just 30 seconds away from their enemy. They're practically right across the street.

Just poorly designed throughout.

Well, I finally picked up the DLC for Dishonored during the recent Steam sale, so it'll be a bit before I'm ready for Dishonored 2. Maybe by then, patches will have addressed more issues...although some of the complaints and criticisms might well remain. I definitely want to play it, but it'll most likely be a $20 or less title for me. And that's not because I'm expecting a bad game by any means... there are just too many games and not enough time for me to entertain getting this for a while. I just finished Dying Light and still have Batman: Arkham Knight and the Dishonored DLC to work through, among several others. If I can eventually get this for $10 I'll happily pick it up knowing that it has to be a good buy at that price.

They'd have to redesign Dishonored 2 from scratch to make it decent. It is such a cluster fuck to put it simply. I can't imagine they had anyone designing the game potion. It feels like a bunch of developers hobbled together something with no direction. The DLCs were decent for the first game though, but so spaced out I forgot lots of the lore when I played each of them, which I why I dislike DLC for these types of games.

They'd have to redesign Dishonored 2 from scratch to make it decent. It is such a cluster fuck to put it simply. I can't imagine they had anyone designing the game potion. It feels like a bunch of developers hobbled together something with no direction. The DLCs were decent for the first game though, but so spaced out I forgot lots of the lore when I played each of them, which I why I dislike DLC for these types of games.
Maybe this isn't the game for you? It feels very much like Dishonored 1, with a lot of improvements. Given what you posted, it would surprise me if you liked the first game and its DLC at all.

I don't know how the hell I haven't had this awful disaster of an experience like some other seem to have had???

I can guarantee you this: If you didn't like part 1 don't bother with this. You won't like it, either.

Yeah some of these complaints are kind of silly.

Saying that you can't find areas referenced means you haven't found them. It took me 3-4 hours and multiple play throughs to fully explore just the second level and find all the referenced stuff.

And I personally didn't totally enjoy the first game because of the amount of backtracking that took place, and how easy the game was.

Between the enhanced AI and superior level design of this game I really enjoy it.

Oh, and the game looks incredible and runs really good as well for me.

Blasted my way through the first game this weekend, and just finished up Knife of Dunwall. Working on Witches of Brigmore now, should be done soon so I can start Dishonored 2!

Didn't bother going low chaos because I mainly was just playing for the plot. Plus I find it way more satisfying to drop assassinate dudes.

It's true, low chaos is a lot harder to do since they give so many opportunities to turn up the heat on mobs fast.

Also, it is really easy to stealth if you get the skill that makes bodies disappear when killed...but you still get high chaos :(

Makes sense, I guess...guards realize that nearly all of their men have mysteriously vanished. :p

About 3 hours in, hit a game ending bug as I can't progress. Guess I did something out of order. All my auto saves are post the bug. Game over. Uninstall. Doubt I'll play buy another Bethesda game, they're just bug ridden shit.

Game didn't seem that great anyway. Stealth was a chore from the start, so I just started killing everyone. Complete opposite of the first game. The gfx are laughable, but the game runs like crap.

Out of curiosity, what was your game ending bug of things you did out of order?

Out of curiosity, what was your game ending bug of things you did out of order?
Not even sure. I completed at least one objective just exploring before it was given to me, and now won't give me my next objective. Have tried completing all the remaining level objectives after looking them up, but won't let me leave the level as it says I still have things that need to be done.

Might revisit it when I get a new gfx card. Dropping into the 30s and back to 60+ depending on where you are/look is not cool, even with g-sync.

Also, it is really easy to stealth if you get the skill that makes bodies disappear when killed...but you still get high chaos :(

Makes sense, I guess...guards realize that nearly all of their men have mysteriously vanished. :p

I would think being all neat and tidy and leaving no mess behind would guarantee low chaos. How much more "stealthy" can you get? ;)

BeavermanA: I noticed the fluctuating FPS as well. It's there. Look up...FPS goes down... it's noticeable.

Not making excuses for it although it's a *little* better now than it was when the game came out.

I would think being all neat and tidy and leaving no mess behind would guarantee low chaos. How much more "stealthy" can you get? ;)

Agreed...though I guess it's just a balance thing because with that disappearing bodies perk, it makes it far too easy to stealth.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Fired this up after not touching it for a while. Seems like the performance issues I was having are totally gone. Game runs silky smooth and judder-free now.

Fired this up after not touching it for a while. Seems like the performance issues I was having are totally gone. Game runs silky smooth and judder-free now.

Glad to hear it. I got this on the $19.99 Dell deal before Christmas and was waiting to finish Shadow Warrior 2 before I started it. Now I can try it this weekend.

like this
Just FYI - the "beta" patch on Steam is safe and it seems the fixes there have been great so far.

Most, if not all of the major performance issues have been sorted, so we may not see another beta patch unless they want to try out the chapter select update as a beta release first.

Just FYI - the "beta" patch on Steam is safe and it seems the fixes there have been great so far.

Most, if not all of the major performance issues have been sorted, so we may not see another beta patch unless they want to try out the chapter select update as a beta release first.

Good to know, I will probably start this tonight if I am able.

Good to know, I will probably start this tonight if I am able.

Finish Witches of Brigmore yet? If so, which was your favorite DLC? Keep in mind I haven't played them yet (but picked them up during the recent Steam sale) so no spoilers. ;)

Finish Witches of Brigmore yet? If so, which was your favorite DLC? Keep in mind I haven't played them yet (but picked them up during the recent Steam sale) so no spoilers. ;)

Yep, I went through everything. Oddly enough, I imported my High Chaos run from Knife of Dunwall, and ended up with Low Chaos at the end of Witches. *shrug*

Hard to say which was my favorite because Witches seems a direct continuation of Knife of Dunwall, so they kind of go together. I think Knife was longer and possibly a bit more interesting, but both were more or less equally good.

Great game and story. Only real bummer was the graphics, even back when it first came out they seemed dated. There is definitely an artistic styling going on with the character design, but it's beyond that with low-res textures and low-poly models overall. Still, very enjoyable to play regardless.

Thanks! I agree with your assessment of the graphics but I wasn't bothered by it in the least (I'm not as picky as some here; I was fine with the graphics in RAGE when the majority were, well...outRAGEd over them, lol). I found the graphics style to be very enjoyable, so while not ultra realistic or state of the art they didn't hamper my enjoyment of the game one bit. And probably helped the game run as smoothly as it does.

Good to know that they go together - that's pretty cool. It's common for DLC to tie into the main game, but tying into other DLC for the same game? Not as much.

Yep, I went through everything. Oddly enough, I imported my High Chaos run from Knife of Dunwall, and ended up with Low Chaos at the end of Witches. *shrug*

Hard to say which was my favorite because Witches seems a direct continuation of Knife of Dunwall, so they kind of go together. I think Knife was longer and possibly a bit more interesting, but both were more or less equally good.

Great game and story. Only real bummer was the graphics, even back when it first came out they seemed dated. There is definitely an artistic styling going on with the character design, but it's beyond that with low-res textures and low-poly models overall. Still, very enjoyable to play regardless.
There are a few things you can do to fix this, like enabling AA via Nvidia Inspector so you can get clear textures w/o the blurriness with FXAA, and anisotropic filtering.

There's also a ton of wiggle room with the config INIs that control mipmaps and shadow resolution (this reminds me, a lot of this documentation is a bit fragmented on the Steam forums and could be brought over to PCGW - http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dishonored ).

Anyway - graphics aside - glad you found the gameplay satisfying, and I think you'll have a good time with Dishonored 2.

Started playing 2...graphics are no Crysis but they are MUCH better than the first game, like...significantly better. If you think this game has graphics just like the first...you haven't played the first in a loooooong time. :p

Feels good so far, I like the feel of the levels so far, and I like how it presents you with the High vs Low Chaos actions in a clearer way than the first game. Also, was it always possible to parry-choke/drop-choke enemies? I don't recall that being a thing in Dishonored.

Oh, and yeah...definitely play the DLCs for the first game before jumping into 2. I imagine everything will be explained later regardless, but if you don't play the DLCs you won't have any idea who one of the main characters is when they're first shown (like, at the very start of the game).

I find it odd that Emily refers to Corvo as "Father" in a sort of serious way, like the game is legitimately saying he is her actual father? I mean, presumably he did raise her but there's no real mention of how he's "like" a father to her.

I find it odd that Emily refers to Corvo as "Father" in a sort of serious way, like the game is legitimately saying he is her actual father? I mean, presumably he did raise her but there's no real mention of how he's "like" a father to her.

he is her father...was sort of alluded to in the first game but yeah they never really confirmed it until this game...the level design is the real star of D2...2 levels in particular are flat out amazing (Clockwork Mansion and Crack in the Slab)...if the rest of the game matched those 2 levels then this would be a classic...still an excellent game (especially when playing stealth/Low Chaos)...definitely one of my Top 3 games of 2016...I'm waiting until they add the Chapter Select option with the January patch to replay

Started playing 2...graphics are no Crysis but they are MUCH better than the first game, like...significantly better. If you think this game has graphics just like the first...you haven't played the first in a loooooong time. :p

Definitely. Normally I'm happy with whatever most games "max" at, but that's one of the few games I was interested in additional injectors/mods just because it was so plain. It ran like a million bucks on normal hardware, so there was definitely room for improvement. This one looks like what I wanted the first one to look like.

Unrelated, anyone know if there's an easy way to turn down/off the acceleration for analog sticks? It feels good with light movement, but when panning quickly the acceleration is VERY strong. I'm not really a fan of that in a game like this.

as far as graphics, D2 is an improvement over the first game but it's nothing amazing...art style is fantastic but the overall textures and graphics quality are not all that impressive...but gameplay is the real star and that trumps graphics...

I played the first level last night, and as others have mentioned, have experienced weird framerate drops.

I'm running it at 2560x1600 on Ultra and it will be a steady 60 FPS and then suddenly drop to 30 FPS and bounce back up.

There is definitely some bugs/optimization needed but at least it's not unplayable like at launch.

I've noticed some drops but not down to 30, I don't think. So far it's been perfectly playable.

I played the first level last night, and as others have mentioned, have experienced weird framerate drops.

I'm running it at 2560x1600 on Ultra and it will be a steady 60 FPS and then suddenly drop to 30 FPS and bounce back up.

There is definitely some bugs/optimization needed but at least it's not unplayable like at launch.
Is 60 your max? I would dial some settings back and see if you can retain a stable framerate so that the dips aren't as sudden.

I don't recommend that weird adaptive framerate stuff - it's a nice idea but in practice the game seems to hiccup when it tries to downscale and then it clumsily returns to regular resolution. It's like the old days of Realplayer.

There is a lot of weird frame pacing, but I was able to mitigate nearly all of that by bringing some settings down to a mixture of high and very high.

Might have spoken a bit too soon on the performance...seeing some fairly low drops in larger areas. Also, I am semi-regularly getting 1-2 second freezes every 5 minutes or so...no idea why but it'll freeze in the middle of a sword swing or something, which is incredibly annoying.

I'll also step my performance comments back, too. As I've been playing a bit further, there are some definite stutter hiccups here and there. Not even close to how bad it was, but it's certainly not perfect. Setting shadows to "Very High" from Ultra seems to alleviate the issue a bit, but I can't tell for certain. In-game FXAA seems straight up broken (I see light peeking out from the edge of certain textures) so I might see if forcing it via the Nvidia panel makes a difference. I know some people hate it, but I actually like FXAA.

like this
Another thing that has been bugging me is that the collision detection / navmeshes seem to be really funky. I will often get stuck and start "vibrating" on certain corners whilst peeking, and likewise I have seen NPCs get stuck on invisible geometry numerous times, walking in place like weirdos.

like this
Dishonored 2's second update is coming to Steam as a beta on January 18th before arriving fully on all platforms January 23rd...this impending patch will allow players to restart any mission they'd like from the beginning, a feature the game was commonly criticized for missing...furthermore, the update will add Custom Difficulty settings, allowing players to tailor the challenge to their liking...this feature will include 20 different sliders to tweak such variables as how long it takes sleep darts to take effect, how easy you are to spot when leaning, and how many soldiers will typically bombard you upon being detected.

Excitingly, there will even be an extra challenging difficulty setting called Iron Mode that adds permadeath to the campaign...with this feature enabled, you won't be able to manually save or load...

https://bethesda.net/en/article/5eX...2-update-custom-difficulty-and-mission-select

Another thing that has been bugging me is that the collision detection / navmeshes seem to be really funky. I will often get stuck and start "vibrating" on certain corners whilst peeking, and likewise I have seen NPCs get stuck on invisible geometry numerous times, walking in place like weirdos.

Dishonored 2's second update is coming to Steam as a beta on January 18th before arriving fully on all platforms January 23rd...this impending patch will allow players to restart any mission they'd like from the beginning, a feature the game was commonly criticized for missing...furthermore, the update will add Custom Difficulty settings, allowing players to tailor the challenge to their liking...this feature will include 20 different sliders to tweak such variables as how long it takes sleep darts to take effect, how easy you are to spot when leaning, and how many soldiers will typically bombard you upon being detected.

Excitingly, there will even be an extra challenging difficulty setting called Iron Mode that adds permadeath to the campaign...with this feature enabled, you won't be able to manually save or load...

https://bethesda.net/en/article/5eX...2-update-custom-difficulty-and-mission-select

beta is now live...patch notes below (lots of bug fixes)...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/403640/discussions/0/141136086912264102/

I haven't been gaming much lately, need to hop back into this. Hopefully they improved the performance a bit.

like this
Here's what Dishonored 2's Custom Difficulties let you adjust...

We knew Dishonored 2 would get a series of Custom Difficulty options, allowing players the ability to tailor the game's challenge to their liking, but until the patch launched we didn't know exactly what this would entail...now that the update is live, we can offer a full detailed list of all 22 variables you can set...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...honored-2s-custom-difficulties-let-you-adjust

like this
I haven't revisited the game in a while and TBH the custom difficulty stuff isn't as compelling as I thought it would be? Also mission select doesn't really help if you have a finished campaign so you basically have to start the game over to take advantage of the mission save points (which is really what they are).

Back