Digital Hourglass

Looks cool. I wonder if it's just a strip of Blue LEDS in the tube that turn on turn off as the "Sand" runs out. Probably a Timing Circuit and a strip of Blue LEDS is my final guess.
Too bad I didn't think of it. Could probably make some cash with that sort of thing.
 
I'm getting too old for this shit, something about the simplicity of grains of sand which make it way cooler than some LEDs in a semi-opaque hourglass shape.
 
I'm getting too old for this shit, something about the simplicity of grains of sand which make it way cooler than some LEDs in a semi-opaque hourglass shape.
Real hourglasses don't work in space. This one would.

Probably.
 
pretty neat... with a little work they could also make this look like the warp core from ST:TNG lol
 
That's not an hour glass, it's a minute glass :eek:

Pretty cool though, and i'd like to see the lava lamp also :D
 
I'm getting too old for this shit, something about the simplicity of grains of sand which make it way cooler than some LEDs in a semi-opaque hourglass shape.

I have to agree with you. Kinda stupid if you ask me, serves no purpose. Hourglass sand is awesome and simple -- No batteries, won't have a damn led going out or anything. Seriously, that's just retarded to do. I get that it may be cool for like display for night club or something, but even then -- People don't give a crap about that.
 
There's your first-gen Start Trek Transporter system right there...
 
I'm getting too old for this shit, something about the simplicity of grains of sand which make it way cooler than some LEDs in a semi-opaque hourglass shape.

Agreed...plus, the "sand" levels are way too discrete in this implementation.
 
Ok now, this is just silly. Just because you can do something with electronic tech doesn't mean you should. I rank it right up there with the web enabled toaster.
 
Except it appears that it "drips" a few times before actually altering the level at all. Which frankly ruins the experience even more IMO.

It is simulating a "liquid" held in a variety of states. There is a range of liquid sublimated about the level which is slowly compressed into a frozen state below, which slowly melts and drips, and a deposition effect causes the gaseous form to replace the lost water when it passes into the "cold" zone. Then the heating element moves down once enough liquid has passed into the central aperture and sublimates the frozen liquid which remains above the level to remain and deposit and retain the constant level. It is a rather simple yet elegant science being simulated via a simple array of LEDs in a semi opaque polycarbonate tube. Doing it via heating/cooling elements would be overly complex. Therefore this allows this cycle to be rather accurately displayed without the massive energy that would be required.
 
Back
Top