Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

A whole lot of negativity suddenly. The game is fantastic.
Didn't mean to come off as negative. I'll probably get the game when things cool down a bit. I'm just surprised they didn't include rune words or set items.

Maybe at a later date/patch.

Didn't mean to come off as negative. I'll probably get the game when things cool down a bit. I'm just surprised they didn't include rune words or set items.

Maybe at a later date/patch.
Who knows...they might come through the season updates/passes.

Who knows...they might come through the season updates/passes.

During one of the dev live streams, they did mention that RW's may come later.
The fact that one of the cosmetic skin armor pieces is a RW though, doesn't give me much hope for this. To me that reads "Ok, here's your Easter Egg, thanks for playing".

I really do just hate the itemization. There are too many stats IMO, its confusing. 10 different ways for critical hits :confused:

Damn it, for some reason I thought you still unlocked WT3 after beating WT1, it appears that’s not the case? Also, does the map reset after you beat it once?

I’m wanting to get into WT3 so I can get some uniques but I’m torn between running through the campaign and doing at least most of what each region has to offer.

MY GANG.png

Here's my gang.

That's my #1 gripe with the game so far. I started off as a Rogue, only level 18 so far, but holy cow I run out of Energy / Mana all the freaking time, like I right click that spell a few times, and my Mana is empty, and have to wait till it gets back up, do 1 right click a few seconds later and it's drained again. Ugh.

Do other classes besides the Rogue not drain Mana so fast? This is literally zero fun to play a game, where your main action spell drains nearly immediately and then is non-usable for awhile. Are there Mana potions that drop, like Health potions?
The Sorcerer drains mana in about 3 activations even at level 52... Clearly the tiny amount of mana they give you is by design to really try to force you to party up. Soloing boss fights can make me scream at my screen sometimes. There are a couple claustrophobic boss fights that spam enemies and stun locks and you have no where to maneuver.

Damn it, for some reason I thought you still unlocked WT3 after beating WT1, it appears that’s not the case? Also, does the map reset after you beat it once?

I’m wanting to get into WT3 so I can get some uniques but I’m torn between running through the campaign and doing at least most of what each region has to offer.
You need to do the capstone dungeon after beating the campaign to unlock WT3, which is only available in WT2.

No, the map does not reset after you beat it once for that character. You can find and complete any side quests, dungeons, and renown tasks you may have missed after beating the campaign.

If you start a new character, you do need to uncover the map again, including Altars of Lilith. You don't get the bonuses more than once for the Altars, but you do need to find them again to get renown for that character.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I used Reshade with the Prod8 mid

Are you using Game mode in yours? I have the GX and it felt too grey to me. How did you get yours working?

I don't use Reshade's or mods like that usually unless it's Skyrim.

I have Win11, I have AutoHDR off (some games don't seem to work right with it for me idk) so I manually turn on HDR with Win + Alt + B. Then launch the game, desktop use is 100% SDR. In game should already be HDR but in settings see if the option is ticked. I don't mess with any of the HDR calibrations since my CX is at the hardware level. I also use MSI Afterburner overlay + RivaTunerStaticsServer and when I bring up the overlay the colors are different for SDR and HDR for the stats. I use default settings so the temp and percentages are an orange for SDR and a red for HDR, I think. When HDR is on and the overlay text is orange everything usually is washed out unless it's an AutoHDR game then the text is orange but colors aren't washed out. This is what I mean about HDR on Win being weird. Xbox you set it and forget it. PC you gotta fuck with things until the setting on the PC, game, and monitor are correct, lots of room for errors. I hardware calibrated game mode but it didn't come out as good as my Cinema and Film Maker modes but I have instant game response turned on. The CX notifies me of Instant Game Response every time I launch a game. I check the color profile and it's whatever one I've set that got the best calibrations from my runs for SDR and HDR. After everything is set I only have to manually change HDR and SDR on Windows. Everything else switches appropriately between the two (excluding PS5 which changes everything to HDR if you have it ticked which is bullshit). I also only use one input on my CX and my AVR does HDMI switching.

Last edited:

I've only had 1 gold(unique) drop so far...and that was beating lilith. Nothing so far in WT3.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I don't use Reshade's or mods like that usually unless it's Skyrim.

I have Win11, I have AutoHDR off (some games don't seem to work right with it for me idk) so I manually turn on HDR with Win + Alt + B. Then launch the game, desktop use is 100% SDR. In game should already be HDR but in settings see if the option is ticked. I don't mess with any of the HDR calibrations since my CX is at the hardware level. I also use MSI Afterburner overlay + RivaTunerStaticsServer and when I bring up the overlay the colors are different for SDR and HDR for the stats. I use default settings so the temp and percentages are an orange for SDR and a red for HDR, I think. When HDR is on and the overlay text is orange everything usually is washed out unless it's an AutoHDR game then the text is orange but colors aren't washed out. This is what I mean about HDR on Win being weird. Xbox you set it and forget it. PC you gotta fuck with things until the setting on the PC, game, and monitor are correct, lots of room for errors. I hardware calibrated game mode but it didn't come out as good as my Cinema and Film Maker modes but I have instant game response turned on. The CX notifies me of Instant Game Response every time I launch a game. I check the color profile and it's whatever one I've set that got the best calibrations from my runs for SDR and HDR. After everything is set I only have to manually change HDR and SDR on Windows. Everything else switches appropriately between the two (excluding PS5 which changes everything to HDR if you have it ticked which is bullshit). I also only use one input on my CX and my AVR does HDMI switching.
It certainly would be nice if there was an option Windows for HDR to only turn on when playing games or streaming content without user intervention.

It certainly would be nice if there was an option Windows for HDR to only turn on when playing games or streaming content without user intervention.

Yup. I also can't get some games to output Atmos correctly and/or the game is a stuttery mess on my PC (Immortals Fenyx Rising as an example I remember) but work fine on my Xbox Series X. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway back to on topic. I've only encountered The Butcher once and he's the first thing to kill me (WT1) so far. I got him down to halfway before he killed my necro. That was intense tho. Hopefully it'll feel like Dark Souls when I get revenge.

Been playing since last night. What a great game love the story.

To me i don’t see any issues with HDR? Nothing is washed out for me, and it really pops on this oled I have. Using w11 etc etc

Been playing since last night. What a great game love the story.

To me i don’t see any issues with HDR? Nothing is washed out for me, and it really pops on this oled I have. Using w11 etc etc
Admittedly, the game looks a lot more dark and "moody" in SDR, more akin to Diablo II. I'm sure people are really seeing "grey" blacks on their display, but I just don't see it. Seeing the difference really makes me think that there are people who believe the overall increased luminance with HDR compared SDR is "washed out" when it really isn't. To be fair, this is unusual for games as designers usually try to keep the overall appearance similar between the two modes, just with brighter portions of the screen utilizing the increased luminance that HDR allows.

On my OLED, there are blacks that are absolutely black in HDR mode. However, there is also in many instances a weird filter over things that is preventing blacks from being true black. The intro cinematic in HDR is outstanding at the very least. I also appreciate the true widescreen on the cinematics. Most companies these days still only do it in 16:9. Although the odd part is that the in-game rendered cinematics drop to 16:9. Very odd decision.

Wudijo died.
Spoiler boss fight.

Apparently he opened the wrong emote wheel when trying to use an escape scroll.
Got 1 shotted.

Last edited:
I might uninstall the game so I don't play it any more it's addicting but not good addicting where I get alot out of it. It's not really a Dungeon and Dragons game its a flashy ADD game the way I'm playing it I just want it to be over with I think alot of people are in the same boat. I just killed the main Boss in Act 3 really don't even care that I did. I'm no toing to spend my rest of vacation on it going fishing tomorrow morning would hate to binge on it some more.

Admittedly, the game looks a lot more dark and "moody" in SDR, more akin to Diablo II. I'm sure people are really seeing "grey" blacks on their display, but I just don't see it. Seeing the difference really makes me think that there are people who believe the overall increased luminance with HDR compared SDR is "washed out" when it really isn't. To be fair, this is unusual for games as designers usually try to keep the overall appearance similar between the two modes, just with brighter portions of the screen utilizing the increased luminance that HDR allows.
No, 2 days ago when I turned on HDR the game looked washed out and like crap. I tried it again yesterday and it is working as intended and looks good. I changed no other settings.

Wow. Another shitpost by you.
Seriously, you should stop if you don't know what you are talking about. As I said earlier, the more you talk, less sense you make. That's flat out embarassing.
There have been countless complaints about the game looking washed out when HDR is enabled, swaying many players to simply enjoy the game in SDR. When HDR is enabled, rich blacks turn into dull grays, and the game's atmosphere turns hazy, losing much of its depth. The primary cause of this is the piecewise sRGB tone curve that Windows uses in HDR.
Here's a good comparison screenshot.
This is HDR in sRGB tone curve (7.7MB PNG)
This is SDR (gamma 2.2 tone curve) (5.9MB PNG)

Diablo IV looks absolutely spectacular in SDR, with deep shadow detail and excellent use of dithering to prevent blacks from appearing blotchy.

We can plot the output luminance of sRGB vs. gamma 2.2 to see the the concrete differences: Gamma 2.2 vs Piecewise sRGB chart.
The luminance axis is in log space since our eyes perceive the sensation of lightess logarithmically.
srgb_vs_g22.png

Here, the discrepancy between gamma 2.2 and sRGB is obvious. The sRGB curve is fundamentally much lighter below the mid-tones, making content mastered in gamma-2.2 appear flat when viewed with an sRGB transfer.

Not so difficult to understand, eh?

So to run D4 in SDR mode, I need to uncheck the HDR option in the game settings? And also turn off Windows 11 HDR completely? Or just turn off Auto HDR only in Windows?

Just kind of a pain to do this, if you play other games as well, because other games I play work perfect with Auto HDR and HDR enabled in Windows 11 and in the game.

I did try WoW without Auto HDR in Windows, booted it up and it instantly looked washed out and drab. Turned back on auto HDR in Windows and WoW looked beautiful and vibrant colorful again.

Is this HDR issue something that can be fixed and patched into the game by Blizzard?

Is this HDR issue something that can be fixed and patched into the game by Blizzard?
I think the absolute best way is for Microsoft to allow Windows users to choose/select their own custom reference mode in the dispay settings. Among a few others, one of the custom parameters is the SDR Transfer Function, which the user can pick between BT.1886 (for film), a pure gamma 2.2 (for PC use), or piecewise sRGB (for treason). :p Apple's macOS does this already.

On the other hand, what Blizzard could do is ditch scRGB HDR on Windows and opt for native HDR10 for Diablo IV as native HDR10 does not suffer from the piecewise sRGB-gamma 2.2 mismatch. This could easily be achieved through a patch.

I'm a casual player, my characters are level 20, and several others below. I like Diablo IV, but so far it does seems a bit generic and tedious. Walking around the map or zones or whatever they're called is fun, but it seems a bit monotonous, just following the path, and then a bunch of random creatures pop up you need to kill for whatever reason, and then move on further down the road, and then the exact same thing again. Rinse and repeat X 1,000.

I don't feel a sense of progression or story, I just feel like some dude randomly walking in this fantasy world, whacking away at the same type of creatures over and over. What I did at level 5, and level 10 and level 20 so far, all looks the same almost, a snowy field area, or a muddy prairie area, and the same polar bears, or bats, or wolves, or skeletons all seem the same in these different areas. I killed enemies easy enough at level 5, and still killing enemies easy at level 20. I'm playing at WT2 setting.

Are there like Group Finder dungeons in this game like WoW? Or Raids? I don't think so though.

What group content is there specifically to run together?

I'm a casual player, my characters are level 20, and several others below. I like Diablo IV, but so far it does seems a bit generic and tedious. Walking around the map or zones or whatever they're called is fun, but it seems a bit monotonous, just following the path, and then a bunch of random creatures pop up you need to kill for whatever reason, and then move on further down the road, and then the exact same thing again. Rinse and repeat X 1,000.

I don't feel a sense of progression or story, I just feel like some dude randomly walking in this fantasy world, whacking away at the same type of creatures over and over. What I did at level 5, and level 10 and level 20 so far, all looks the same almost, a snowy field area, or a muddy prairie area, and the same polar bears, or bats, or wolves, or skeletons all seem the same in these different areas. I killed enemies easy enough at level 5, and still killing enemies easy at level 20. I'm playing at WT2 setting.

Are there like Group Finder dungeons in this game like WoW? Or Raids? I don't think so though.

What group content is there specifically to run together?
Yeah, the world is huge and pretty empty, which is a shame given the rest of the game is pretty well done. You can run any of the content in the game with other people, as far as I know. Unfortunately there is no LFG feature or lobby list to browse for content that you want to run. The game follows the trend of developers expecting people to organize groups themselves. Outsourcing standard multiplayer features to third-parties like Discord is killing the gaming community.

If you're in the clan, say something in clan chat. Talking is minimal right now because I guess people are busy going off on their own or not paying attention, but there have been times when we grouped up to help each other out. I lost my hardcore character to a lag spike this past weekend so I started fresh on a softcore character, and as a result am not as far along as most people seem to be. Still, if anybody wants to run early game content I'd be happy to join them. I just started Act II.

Anyone up for split farming aspect dungeons later (WT1)? We managed to get half of the dungeons done in about 4 hours yesterday, and just looking to speed this up a bit. Have the southern half of the map to go.

My bad luck turned into hysterical awesomesauce... I finally got another unique to drop... 10000 steps or whatever. It's meh, but I wanted to find a way to use it.

So I combined my bleeding Crimson whatever build with it into an absolutely stupid leaping/groundstomping/rupturing build and am having an absolute blast with it. Everything is bleeding, getting stunned into oblivion, and I'm jumping around mad as a hatter wrecking everyone.

Madcap experimentation is what I enjoyed the most of past Diablos. This one is living up to its predecessors well :).

I have to say it's been smooth as hell (hehe pun intended) on PS5 I got kicked when they did server upgrades and had to redo some stuff. Other than that been awesome lvl30 Necro but right now I am seeing my first wait times of 3-4 minutes and error code after, can't get in..

This game runs great even on a potato PC. A potato PC in our kitchen consists of:
i7-6700K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3, 2x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe.
WIth every grpahic settings cranked up to max (with Ultra textures) at native 1440p, it runs at average 95-100fps.
VRAM allocation (not dynamic usage) hovers around 20-21GB on 3090 and 4090. On the other hand, it's around 9.5-10.5GB on 1080 Ti.

Back