Diablo II Resurrected: Offical Thread

‘Diablo 2: Resurrected’ Quietly Removes A Promised Feature Ahead Of The Open Beta​

Article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...ature-ahead-of-the-open-beta/?sh=703f5f963071

"Diablo 2: Resurrected has removed a promised feature that it said it was going to have, shedding it for “security” reasons. TCP/IP support:

"TCP/IP support will not be available in the upcoming Beta or the final game. After careful deliberation, we will no longer be supporting this option as we identified potential security risks and are committed to safeguarding the player experience.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure I'll be buying it now.

Ive put hundreds of hours into Diablo 2. Afterwards, It was fun for me to dupe items / gold through save files. Taking out TCP / IP support will lessen the experience for me. By this move, Diablo 2 Resurrected isn't Diablo 2 any longer. Once again, customers get pigeon holed into using Blizzards launcher services.

Last edited:
The visuals are good but I dislike the animations. I guess that's the thing they couldn't change.
Also, some high end items in game look like newbie stuff. It really turns me off.

‘Diablo 2: Resurrected’ Quietly Removes A Promised Feature Ahead Of The Open Beta​

Article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...ature-ahead-of-the-open-beta/?sh=703f5f963071

"Diablo 2: Resurrected has removed a promised feature that it said it was going to have, shedding it for “security” reasons. TCP/IP support:

"TCP/IP support will not be available in the upcoming Beta or the final game. After careful deliberation, we will no longer be supporting this option as we identified potential security risks and are committed to safeguarding the player experience.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure I'll be buying it now.

Ive put hundreds of hours into Diablo 2. Afterwards, It was fun for me to dupe items / gold through save files. Taking out TCP / IP support will lessen the experience for me. By this move, Diablo 2 Resurrected isn't Diablo 2 any longer. Once again, customers get pigeon holed into using Blizzards launcher services.

Yeah blizz police saw possible fun happening, had to shut it down. Watch next they will make it be online all the time just like D3 and wont work offline...for security reasons. Plus changing this suddenly after taking preorders for months....man glad I am waiting on it, wonder what else they will change.

"for security reasons" is bullshit PR, they did it to prevent people from playing locally (LAN) or using tools like hamachi etc to play "online via LAN emulation".

The second reason is control, they want to have complete utter control over their franchises - they did the same to Starcraft (whose massive success back in the day was partially due to the friendly LAN modes in the original where you could legally play on LAN with only one purchased copy of the game using the 'spawn copy' feature). They wanted a piece of the pie when it came to starcraft tournaments in korea etc, and didn't give a fuck that it would negatively hamper the experience for everyone to have all data packets having to pass through blizz servers.

I'm curious why they committed to TCP/IP at all given that all these same conversations happened when they launched D3. They would have known 100% that such a sought-after feature could not be "quietly removed" later without an uproar, and none of their policies from the past decade would indicate a willingness to support such a feature, so why say so up front?

I'm guessing they're confident the game will sell regardless, but it feels like that meme where the guy puts a stick in his own bike wheel...

Yeah blizz police saw possible fun happening, had to shut it down. Watch next they will make it be online all the time just like D3 and wont work offline...for security reasons. Plus changing this suddenly after taking preorders for months....man glad I am waiting on it, wonder what else they will change.
No doubt. I think it is already an "always online game" if not, you're right, it will be soon enough.

Seems Blizzard could fuck up a cup of coffee at this point or maybe its been that way for decades now?

Blizzard could fuck up a cup of coffee at this point or maybe its been that way for decades now?
All the employees that made Blizzard what it was are long gone. It's Blizzard in name only.

From what I'm reading online so take with a grain of salt:
"Blizzard" of old as an independent** powerhouse of game development doesn't really exist anymore, it's closer to being a studio owned by Activision rather than an equal partner of the company at the moment. The independence Blizzard development teams had was due to the immense financial success of their titles, but in recent years their games have been losing players en masse and so has their freedom within the company.

Allegedly Bobby Kotick has been firing Blizzard's middle management recently and replacing them with people loyal to him.
Way back in the day it was going to be Activision-Vivendi but they knew the immense prestige the 'Blizzard' name had in the gaming community and decided to keep it.

**they were never truly independent, they were always owned by some company, but "independent" in the sense of 'letting them do whatever they want', as back in the old days everything they touched turned to gold so their owners didn't see the need to get too 'involved'.

sort of interested in this but why do I feel the game will be ruined in a bunch of ways.

glad I still have my original battle chest thing and there are mods now to make it work just fine.

The visuals are good but I dislike the animations. I guess that's the thing they couldn't change.
Also, some high end items in game look like newbie stuff. It really turns me off.

Kind of reminds me a mobile game.

DevotedImperfectAsp-size_restricted.gif

Early access to the beta for pre-orders begins today at 10 AM PDT/1 PM ET!

5 classes and 2 acts will be available for testing so this should be really interesting. I must cleanse this wilderness...

Early access to the beta for pre-orders begins today at 10 AM PDT/1 PM ET!

5 classes and 2 acts will be available for testing so this should be really interesting. I must cleanse this wilderness...
Indeed, the sanctity of it has been fowled...

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Got a chance to play it some before work today & what a difference 20 years makes!

Vicarious Visions knocked it out of the park. It looks fantastic!

I love the toggle feature to make it look like the old Diablo 2. So far I've only cleared the Den of Evil. Its fun to run around and find all the little things they added to the game to increase the atmosphere. I was amazed to see how well the lighting and reflections work, for instance you can see yourself & spell effects in pools of water, those kinds of things. The game plays really really smooth on my 144hz panel. Can't wait to get home and play it tonight. Its like a whole new game! I do wish that they had done away with the Stamina bar though, its as annoying as ever, but for purity I can understand why they left it in. The Stash and shared stash options are nice.

Last edited:
The game plays really really smooth on my 144hz panel. Can't wait to get home and play it tonight. Its like a whole new game! I do wish that they had done away with the Stamina bar though, its as annoying as ever, but for purity I can understand why they left it in. The Stash and shared stash options are nice.
I just played through Act 1 up to Andariel and I agree the visuals and QOL stuff like bigger/shared stash and auto gold pickup are really nice. I'm not sure that I would agree that the game actually feels smoother though; it honestly feels exactly like the old game engine with a facelift. So I guess it delivers what it promises.

I think I may have changed my tune though, and whether I bother with this will depend on whether my RL friends get in on it too. I get that people want to preserve breakpoints from the original version and stuff like that, but not overhauling the engine feels like a missed opportunity to me now that I've seen the new visuals (which are great). I'm guessing they are not planning any new content for the game either, so unless you really want the experience described above I would assess that the game is likely not worth the money.

I just played through Act 1 up to Andariel and I agree the visuals and QOL stuff like bigger/shared stash and auto gold pickup are really nice. I'm not sure that I would agree that the game actually feels smoother though; it honestly feels exactly like the old game engine with a facelift. So I guess it delivers what it promises.
Considering the original D2 capped at 25fps, it feels a lot smoother :). To me it does, I've spent 20 years playing it and I could tell the difference right away.

Although, is it really running at more than 25fps? Don't know. According to RivaTuner it is. Causing it to go over 25fps would break the game. Whatever wizardry they did, it worked!

From what I understand having it run on the original engine was the only way to make it work. Designing a new engine from the ground up would have broken many functions of the game and in the end would have been a completely new game and gameplay experience, according to the original developer. Somewhere on Youtube he talks about it in further detail.

Last edited:
Considering the original D2 capped at 25fps, it feels a lot smoother :). To me it does, I've spent 20 years playing it and I could tell the difference right away.

Although, is it really running at more than 25fps? Don't know. According to RivaTuner it is. Causing it to go over 25fps would break the game. Whatever wizardry they did, it worked!

What they said before is it's running the real engine at 25 fps, but animating the display engine at higher frame rates. I'm guessing they do something with runahead so they can interpolate properly.

From what I understand having it run on the original engine was the only way to make it work. Designing a new engine from the ground up would have broken many functions of the game and in the end would have been a completely new game and gameplay experience, according to the original developer. Somewhere on Youtube he talks about it in further detail.

I guess what I meant was that, while the graphics certainly are much smoother, there's an element of desync that I wasn't expecting to still be there with a modern back-end. So while the graphics are pretty and the animations are great, the actual smoothness related to player actions feels as clunky as back in the day.

These were just my expectations though, not based on anything anyone claimed before I bought it. I'm just trying to imagine which of my friends might buy in to such an experience, and I'm not sure if it will ultimately attract anyone other than hardcore fans of the original.

so far its D2 with much better graphics. Sad I can't play my fav class the assassin.... but enjoying my time so far. Drops seem pretty decent in beta... Got alot of gems, 2 rune words, several rare's, 1 set item all by lv 13. I really love the shared stash. Gonna convince the wife to play with me and ditch WoW for a while.

I repurchased the game to try the open beta.
I was around when Diablo 1 and 2 were popular and played the crap out of them. And I'm more than disappointed.

It's Diablo 2 alright, perfectly remastered with better visuals. But that's where the good things end.
The core system is horribly outdated.
Very few skills.
Tiny inventory size as well as having to keep some retarded charms in inventory to gain bonuses. I completely forgot about that nonsense.
Mana and stamina barely regenerating. Having to drink pots like crazy. Which take inventory space in already tiny inventory.
Janky animations while running/casting/attacking.
Unable to zoom in/out on my character.
Characters looking the same after equipping new armor.
DIED AND LOST ALL GOLD LOL. It's been 20 years since I played Diablo 2. I'm much older now, got limited time and less tolerance for bullshit.
However barbarian plays and looks great. Too bad I won't continue playing.
TOO OUTDATED. Not worth €40.
Thanks but no thanks, refunding again.

Last edited:
I was around when Diablo 1 and 2 were popular and played the crap out of them. And I'm more than disappointed.

It's Diablo 2 alright, perfectly remastered with better visuals. But that's where the good things end.
Very few skills.
Tiny inventory size as well as having to keep some retarded charms in inventory to gain bonuses. I completely forgot about that nonsense.
Mana and stamina barely regenerating. Having to drink pots like crazy. Which take inventory space in already tiny inventory.
DIED AND LOST ALL GOLD LOL. It's been 20 years since I played Diablo 2. I'm much older now, got limited time and less tolerance for bullshit.
However barbarian plays and looks great.
And this is why I can't fucking stand purists who insist on retaining limitations from old games in their remakes/remasters.

The game is fine for those who still enjoy Diablo II but want updated visuals. I'm not one of those people. I loved it back in the days, but that was then.
I forgot one thing but I maybe missed something because it's been a very long since I played the original Diablo II. My sorceress had this armor buff that lasts for 120 seconds, but you can only equip one skill. And I could not see any skill icon that tells me that it's up or its duration. So I had to switch skills every couple of minutes /facepalm.
And how the fuck did stamina make it in the remastered version is beyond me. I don't want to fucking walk in an ARPG. Let me kill shit and loot!

supports UW res fortunately, does not work with Nvidia Surround on 3 monitors however(d3 does). Hopefully that gets fixed down the line. Happy with the Beta as it's been modernized for the most part, but kept the core pmuch the same.

Very few skills.
Titan Quest Anniversary Edition is in a pretty good spot right now after having issues with the launch. If you want a D2-like experience with more modern conveniences this game is still a good alternative. You still have to drink pots depending on your build, but they stack up to 100 in this version so they don't take up as much space.

Very few skills.
Gotta say what did you expect. Your rant seems off-base. There plenty ppl including myself who think they did a fantastic job. Its Still D2 (for good and bad) but its what made D2 and LOD special. Only thing I wish they did was/could was modernize chat and the lobby.

Very few skills.
I also played the original D2 back in the day......What did you expect? They basically left everything alone which is a shock and just updated the graphics.

All these gripes you have weren't going away. Not really sure how you expected anything different when Blizzard themselves said they are leaving things as they were....

Last edited:
Is motion blur always on?

It's giving me a blurry vision vibe around my toon during movement.

Don't see an option for it in settings.

Last edited:
Meh, no TCP/IP option, locked to Bnet, win10 requirement... no thanks. Maybe for $10-15 on GoG like Diablo1 was.

I think I'm going to buy it. It feels kinda old and very true to the original but after playing a few hours I enjoyed it enough to want to go through the grind again. The only old mechanics I don't really enjoy is having to stockpile bolts and arrows on the Amazon, and the fact that gems don't stack. Also I'm not sure if the end game will hold up these days but I will give it a shot.

Last edited:
It took me dieing once at blood raven, already coming across ridiculous equipment requirements, running across the giant fucking field naked, then dieing again before reaching my corpse to realize that I've moved on from Diablo II.

Last edited:
Have to admit I was enormously impressed by D2R. They truly did not change (read: break) the existing game. D2R is D2 with pretty graphics and a shared stash, which is exactly what I wanted. Early D2 (as opposed to endgame) is hard in ways that many modern games aren't, and that's a big part of what makes it work. The difficulty is very much like the souls games, if you're dying a lot, you need to re-evaluate your build or go back to an earlier area. If you aren't dying at all, you are over-leveled for the area. I'm actually glad that charms and stamina haven't changed. Minor annoyances make getting it right that much more rewarding. A lot of modern games are missing that.

That said, it would be nice if they could redo the backend to help with the awful melee hit detection that has always affected D2. You can learn to work with it, like only attacking things as they move toward you, but it is an annoyance, and it's clearly core to the engine as it affected offline classic D2 as well.

Looking forward to what the endgame looks like when HRs are as rare as they're supposed to be. D2s economy worked largely because of the duped/botted HRs, so without those D2R will be very different. We won't have a currency like HRs that anyone can trade for but no one can (easily) find themselves, for one.

2021-08-21.png

The Amazon has a man face... Not sure what Blizzard is trying to do but that's not a good translation from the original.

Last edited:
Haven't played D2 since probably 02 or 03.

Considering how arcadey Diablo3 is compared to this, I find it kind of odd how you can have only 2 active skills(auras or attacks) at any given time(of course can change on the fly). Or am I missing something here?

You d2 vets be smashing those button combos I bet. Lol
I swapped my potions to the F1-F4 keys and attacks to the 1-8. Noob move? I find it better.

What's your go to keybind set up?

Back