Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Barbs and Crusaders seem to have gotten a bunch of meaty changes in the latest patch. I figured the Crusader would given it's newest class and the crying over it has been pretty epic.

Crusaders are still really low on the totem pole from what little I tried tonight. I'll give mine more effort tomorrow. Right now I don't see the point in the class other than to buff other classes. The horse is as buggy as ever. They could put it on a 1 second cool down and it would be worthless as every time I hit it the game freezes for 2 seconds.

Ran rifts from 1pm until 11pm and got 0 Forgotten Souls. I was getting them 75% of the time prepatch. Maybe Blizzard "forgot" to add them to the drop tables?

Ran rifts from 1pm until 11pm and got 0 Forgotten Souls. I was getting them 75% of the time prepatch. Maybe Blizzard "forgot" to add them to the drop tables?

I took them all. I've gotten almost 10 in 4 hours tonight.

Meanwhile this is my worst night ever for Legendary gear. I've only gotten one piece of loot, and it was a follower token with the wrong primary stat on it.

Does anyone know where I can get the expansion for somewhat less than Blizzard asks?

I took them all. I've gotten almost 10 in 4 hours tonight.

Meanwhile this is my worst night ever for Legendary gear. I've only gotten one piece of loot, and it was a follower token with the wrong primary stat on it.

I think I got your drops! Actually I've been farming T1 on my Crusader (hardcore) the past few nights and really not getting much for my trouble - certainly seemed like fewer legendaries overall.

Then tonight I found the Demon's Hide set plans, Crown of the Invoker set helm (744 STR, 669 VIT, 100 AR, socket), and finally a Fate of the Fell with strength and cooldown reduction rolls! I've tried rolling a socket on the other stat (forget what it was) and so far I'm down 10 souls...but I can't even be mad because triple Heaven's Furys is fucking beast!

Also, bravo for Crusader changes today, although it's too bad they screwed up Iron Maiden and will have to "revisit it" in a later patch.

The drop rates overall seem to be a dice roll. I did 3 sets of T1 bounties last night through act 2 3 and 5. Not a single legendary. I then did one T1 rift run and got 2 legends and a asheara's plan. Makes no sense. The part of the patch saying that legendary craft items should drop much more frequently is BS to. I got one through all my playing last night.

I got my WD up to 680k/7mil last night and having fun tweaking the skills. The haunt upgrade they did appears to not have done anything. The drop to 50 mana helps but the skill is still under powered. Sticking with spirit barrage with multihit for HP gain and infinibears.

The drop rates overall seem to be a dice roll. I did 3 sets of T1 bounties last night through act 2 3 and 5. Not a single legendary. I then did one T1 rift run and got 2 legends and a asheara's plan. Makes no sense. The part of the patch saying that legendary craft items should drop much more frequently is BS to. I got one through all my playing last night.

I got my WD up to 680k/7mil last night and having fun tweaking the skills. The haunt upgrade they did appears to not have done anything. The drop to 50 mana helps but the skill is still under powered. Sticking with spirit barrage with multihit for HP gain and infinibears.

Spend a few seconds spamming Haunt - Draining Spirit on multiple targets and you will have infinite Bears until those die. I had so much mana last night I switched from Bears to Corpse Explosion.

My biggest problem with Haunt is that is seems inconsistent and it gets really hard to tell what does and doesn't have a Haunt on it when things start blowing up. I am using Creeping Death so the DOT should stay for multiple minutes. I tried using Locust Swarm for a while, however that has bad consistency as well, it stops jumping and has a tendency to fall off a lot of mobs if they leave the screen. I have a Quetzalcoatl too, so the DOTs are doing a ton of damage :(

Last edited:
Last night I saw easily the fastest farming build I've run into. It was a wizard with the 'break an item, get a speedbost' bracers and the boots that trail fire. So he would just run over breakables and go pretty damn fast. Huge DPS, not so much toughness. My monk has 35% speed with the passive and couldn't keep up. It would probably be even faster with the same item combo on my monk, and survivable.

Nerf/fix Frost Orb
Make pretty much everyone drop the rune or switch to a totally new build
Wait for new builds to surface
Check forums to see if the bitch and moan about this ability quota has been met
Evaluate abilities the wonderful community thinks are "op"
Nerf abilities, make another rune useless

It makes no sense because there are other abilities that hit harder, cost less and have a larger AoE radius then Frost Orb so are those abilities safe? I've moved to a new build but I suppose there is no point in getting attached.

Curious how long It'll take the amazing community to go from "wizard tears taste good" to "nerf Wand of Woe"

Last night I saw easily the fastest farming build I've run into. It was a wizard with the 'break an item, get a speedbost' bracers and the boots that trail fire. So he would just run over breakables and go pretty damn fast. Huge DPS, not so much toughness. My monk has 35% speed with the passive and couldn't keep up. It would probably be even faster with the same item combo on my monk, and survivable.

I think speed is topped at 25% unless you have some special skill (like a pylon or item affix).

It makes no sense because there are other abilities that hit harder, cost less and have a larger AoE radius then Frost Orb so are those abilities safe? I've moved to a new build but I suppose there is no point in getting attached.

Which ones? I havent explored many skills/runes on my wizard since I've found the few builds I use for various farming methods.

If other things were better than FO, why were like 90% of the Mages in T1 using FO?

Because people are sheep.

But defining 'Better' is impossible.

Many people play frozen orb more so for mechanics then for damage. Frozen orb is fun to use and happens to do a fair amount of damage.

My fireblades + fire nova do far more damage then Frozen orb. But the mechanics requires you to fight up close and provide a different play style.

Also most people don't use Meteor Shower but that skill is probably the highest damage dealing wizard skill. The mechanics however prevent people from using as frequently as frozen orb. Frozen orb does its damage almost instantly but meteor has the delay.

The wizard is a very well rounded class and too many people were sheeping to frozen orb so they changed it so people would use other skills.

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, but do you guys have a good link to a wizard and monk build? Just the build sheet would be fine.

Many people play frozen orb more so for mechanics then for damage. Frozen orb is fun to use and happens to do a fair amount of damage.

My fireblades + fire nova do far more damage then Frozen orb. But the mechanics requires you to fight up close and provide a different play style.

Also most people don't use Meteor Shower but that skill is probably the highest damage dealing wizard skill. The mechanics however prevent people from using as frequently as frozen orb. Frozen orb does its damage almost instantly but meteor has the delay.

The wizard is a very well rounded class and too many people were sheeping to frozen orb so they changed it so people would use other skills.

So you agree it is an easy way to apply high damage that doesn't put the Wizard at much risk and lets them run around farming. Sounds like everyone is using it for valid reasons :)

Most people don't just pick whatever does the highest damage if it is hard to use (for example few Demon Hunters pick Anathema because the AOE is tiny).

Even the Mages with low gear seem to be dropping life bars faster than other classes in T1 Rifts, mostly through FO spam.

Last edited:
So you agree it is an easy way to apply high damage that doesn't put the Wizard at much risk and lets them run around farming. Sounds like everyone is using it for valid reasons :)

Most people don't just pick whatever does the highest damage if it is hard to use (for example few Demon Hunters pick Anathema because the AOE is tiny).

Even the Mages with low gear seems to be dropping life bars faster than other classes in T1 Rifts, mostly through FO spam.

I think I use it because of my love for it in Diablo 2 more than anything else. lol

How exactly did they nerf it? I didn't really notice a difference.

I do! I stun them with Fan of Knives and then use Anathema and they have no choice but to sit there and take it. :D

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, but do you guys have a good link to a wizard and monk build? Just the build sheet would be fine.

Got a link to your profile with your gear? My recommendations would vary wildly based on your gear.

Ha, right now, I'm working on a fire damage, slow two-hander, no-spirit generator build with Lashing Tail Kick as the main damage dealer.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#TZgfPQ!bUVd!YaYbcZ

Takes a lot of spirit regen, so it'll take some testing to determine if the tradeoffs are worth it.

I think speed is topped at 25% unless you have some special skill (like a pylon or item affix).

Yeah it's maxed at 25% from gear. You can get another 10% from some passives like the monk speed one, along with a lot of active abilities. One of the monk auras is 'whenever you kill an enemy, all allies gain 30% speed for a few seconds' - a really nice boost.

Doesn't that mean you lost the burst from not taking the Fan of Knives = 1200% damage Rune though?

Perhaps, but you can't have everything. :p

I'm no expert, either, but it's a build that seems to work for me most of the time.

Perhaps, but you can't have everything. :p

I'm no expert, either, but it's a build that seems to work for me most of the time.

I have no idea either. My experience with Demon Hunter is getting geared up and then playing my Witch Doctor instead since I couldn't keep up with Mage DPS :D

Got a link to your profile with your gear? My recommendations would vary wildly based on your gear.

Ha, right now, I'm working on a fire damage, slow two-hander, no-spirit generator build with Lashing Tail Kick as the main damage dealer.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#TZgfPQ!bUVd!YaYbcZ

Takes a lot of spirit regen, so it'll take some testing to determine if the tradeoffs are worth it.

Yeah, here is my wizard and my monk is there too. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Krieg1337-1699/hero/10289552

I can find different gear though/mystic it. For my monk I'm trying to find some increase lightning damage for a lightning build I think.

Anyone care to look at my sucky 61 Barb? I know my gear sucks @ 61 and I really don't have a good focus/grasp on stats to concentrate on, gems to use, etc. Have not had time to dig on sites for builds/suggestions.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tahdek-1154/hero/4732243

Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated. Some pointers to push me in a good direction. :cool:

I have no idea how you get got to 61 without finding a weapon with much higher DPS than that.

For leveling, just push for maxed out sheet DPS and enough toughness to stat alive when needed. When you hit 70 and get some gear, you can worry about what direction to take your spec in. Things will be made much easier once you get a few level 70 legendary items that will help dictate what build to use.

Yeah im calling bullshit on this one. The issue with meteor shower is not its delay, its its randomized targeting nature. I've used meteor shower dead center on a pack, to only have it target the gaps in between them and literally not hit a single one of the 10 mobs (i counted). This issue is only expounded upon even more on single target boss fights.

On the other hand Frozen Orb has 3 damage sources, the aoe "spikes", the orb passing through the target, and the explosion of the orb after its traveled "x" distance. If i space myself properly I can maximize damage on single targets, ensuring they get hit by all 3 sources of damage, whereas meteor shower, even if a few of the meteors do hit, they deal decreased damage.

Lets just assume people are sheep and there is no reason for build patterns why dont we? :rolleyes:

Yeah im calling bullshit on this one. The issue with meteor shower is not its delay, its its randomized targeting nature. I've used meteor shower dead center on a pack, to only have it target the gaps in between them and literally not hit a single one of the 10 mobs (i counted). This issue is only expounded upon even more on single target boss fights.

On the other hand Frozen Orb has 3 damage sources, the aoe "spikes", the orb passing through the target, and the explosion of the orb after its traveled "x" distance. If i space myself properly I can maximize damage on single targets, ensuring they get hit by all 3 sources of damage, whereas meteor shower, even if a few of the meteors do hit, they deal decreased damage.

Lets just assume people are sheep and there is no reason for build patterns why dont we? :rolleyes:

I've only seen two damage sources from Frozen Orb--the explosion and the spikes.

Its possible you are doing it wrong.

Seems to work fine on single target and it definitely does more damage then frozen orb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHY4kDKcr_8

People are sheep. Find what is most popular then copy it. This is universal and spans far beyond just gaming.

I think part of the issue is that there aren't really enough builds in D3 that end up being viable, so most people just conform to a few "top tier" ones to maximize farming potential.

[QUOTE="Travis Day" ]The Bad!
Unique monsters now drop less items.
*Uniques were dropping far more loot than their difficulty would warrant.

Chest spawns have been thinned out across all acts of the game.
*Ideally chests become less common and something that players can’t flip games to farm. It is our goal to make them feel exciting and rewarding when you find them.

The Good!
The bonus legendary drop rate for rifts is being increased from 25% to 100%!
*This means that while in a rift your chance to find a legendary item from monsters, chests, elites, and everything else is double what it is outside of rifts. No this does not mean opening bounty bags in rifts is the new hotness. ;P

Kadala’s legendary drop rate has been significantly increased.
*Blood Shards are meant to be a compelling element of rift rewards and something players are excited to get.

Loot is an incredibly important aspect of Diablo games and we will continue to keep a very close eye on it. If more problems arise we will continue striving to address them. It isn’t our goal to take loot away from people, we just want to make sure they are having as much fun as possible while finding it and these changes all support that goal.

Good hunting and link the loot!

Travis Day[/QUOTE]

Rifts are the new super hotness. T1 will be a great place to farm now, oh and burn them blood shards!

Edit:
Linky: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12471197317
I dont think it's gone live, not home to confrm.

Last edited:
So basically, if you have RoS you are set, if you don't you are continually fucked over.

I never understood why someone wouldn't get the expansion if they were playing a game (Blizzard or not).

Either you want to get the latest experience because you still enjoy the game, or you stopped playing so you shouldn't care.

Edit:
Also
Follower relics should now roll the appropriate stats for that follower.*
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12427063132

Last edited:
whoa.. I got the recipe for reapers wraps + reapers fear + one other pretty nice legendary axe for killing maltheal on hard only. Is that pretty good or?

I never understood why someone wouldn't get the expansion if they were playing a game (Blizzard or not).

Either you want to get the latest experience because you still enjoy the game, or you stopped playing so you shouldn't care.

Edit:
Also

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12427063132

I think he just bought the base game after we got excited in this thread about the improvements. Not everyone runs out and buys base game + expansion in the course of 2 weeks. So, yes, I can see his point. Of course if he's enjoying it then he should invest in the expansion when it makes sense for him to do so. :)

I think he just bought the base game after we got excited in this thread about the improvements. Not everyone runs out and buys base game + expansion in the course of 2 weeks. So, yes, I can see his point. Of course if he's enjoying it then he should invest in the expansion when it makes sense for him to do so. :)

Yup, I have 2 friends that just started playing (one of them literally bought it today) and they don't have the xpac...but they're also like lvl 27 on their first characters. I get the impression that Maverick is toiling away on his 60s and not seeing much in the way of progression anymore.

I finally got over the hump and rolled a socket for my Fate of the Fell on the 14th roll...so many souls but so awesomely worth it. Also tried my hand at crafting some Reaper's Wraps and they are so useful I don't even care that I rolled VIT, armor, and LoH in addition to a 15% lightning skill roll. Some more damage would have been nice but the extra Wrath per health globe really smooths out combat.

Been getting garbage drops since RoS has come out. I'm definitely on the crappy end of the RNG spectrum.

whoa.. I got the recipe for reapers wraps + reapers fear + one other pretty nice legendary axe for killing maltheal on hard only. Is that pretty good or?

Malthael will drop the recipe 100%, the mats just got buffed and the first time you kill him, you get a legend 100% garanteed.... you were "only" lucky on the crafting mats :D

I still need to get one, they weren't dropping before the hotfix :mad:

Back