Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Also, the palette swaps on the environments keep things fresh. Last night I played Act II at night (it was dark anyway) and it was like a breath of fresh air since I usually hate Act II.

I'm confused, what changed?

I have to say that I'm liking that they ramped up difficulty at 70 vice 60. I was playing T2-T3 with mediocre-good gear post 2.0 but pre-RoS, but now I'm striving for T1 with a few more gear upgrades. I'm currently at 380k DPS (self buffed)/4.5M toughness/320k life with my Wizard, so I don't think I could handle T1 efficiently at this point.

Im in the same boat as you. My WD and Wiz are now at 330kdmg and 3-4mil tough but still have a ways to go (still not at 70 either). Once that occurs I will be finally joining in on adventure mode and bounties. I want to be at 70 before I beat any of the bosses in Act V.

It's interesting and disappointing all at once. I spent the last year or so tweaking a setup for pre RoS Inferno/Torment to get to high levels. Now I'm starting all over.

How necessary is all-resist at T1+ difficulty? My pre-expansion items all had +int/+vit/+all-resist (wizard), but almost every rare I've found lately has more +int/+vit, but no all-resist. I can't decide if it's worth losing my resistances to deal more dps and have more vitality/toughness.

How necessary is all-resist at T1+ difficulty? My pre-expansion items all had +int/+vit/+all-resist (wizard), but almost every rare I've found lately has more +int/+vit, but no all-resist. I can't decide if it's worth losing my resistances to deal more dps and have more vitality/toughness.

Absolutely essential. I have >1750 AR and I don't think I could handle T1 very well. I really believe they should make life a fourth stat that's independent of toughness. It's really misleading. When I see a gain in toughness on the tooltip for a different piece of equipment, I always have to double check that it's not actually trading AR for Vit. With nothing but Vit you can have a very high toughness but still get 1 shot by elites in expert/master.

Absolutely essential. I have >1750 AR and I don't think I could handle T1 very well. I really believe they should make life a fourth stat that's independent of toughness. It's really misleading. When I see a gain in toughness on the tooltip for a different piece of equipment, I always have to double check that it's not actually trading AR for Vit. With nothing but Vit you can have a very high toughness but still get 1 shot by elites in expert/master.

I'm not following you, toughness is your effective HP, which is more a less a product of your HP and Damage reduction. Higher EHP is always better for how many hits you can take, regardless of where it comes from.

When it come to healing, DR is better than Vit, but thats a different story. If your getting one shot at a certain toughness, then you're going to get one shot any different way you reach that toughness.

I'm not following you, toughness is your effective HP, which is more a less a product of your HP and Damage reduction. Higher EHP is always better for how many hits you can take, regardless of where it comes from.

When it come to healing, DR is better than Vit, but thats a different story. If your getting one shot at a certain toughness, then you're going to get one shot any different way you reach that toughness.

This was also my understanding. Blizz just took the formula people were using for EHP (on various websites/forums) and added it to the game as 'Toughness'. Basic principle being that the higher the number the more damage you could effectively sustain regardless of which stats were contributing to that total.

EHP was much more useful back in the day when getting one shot was worrisome. I think if you're getting one shot at this point - balancing vit vs. all resist is the least of your concerns. And really - when people were trying to get a handle on taking hits in inferno, armor and all resist were king. EHP was calculated via spreadsheets and online calculators as a curiosity mostly.

In general, I prefer dmg reduction to vitality as if you heal at all during a fight, vitality becomes worth less and less. And in that sense, toughness is misleading.

EHP was much more useful back in the day when getting one shot was worrisome. I think if you're getting one shot at this point - balancing vit vs. all resist is the least of your concerns. And really - when people were trying to get a handle on taking hits in inferno, armor and all resist were king. EHP was calculated via spreadsheets and online calculators as a curiosity mostly.

In general, I prefer dmg reduction to vitality as if you heal at all during a fight, vitality becomes worth less and less. And in that sense, toughness is misleading.

Yea when you factor in healing, mitigation is king.

if you look at some of the top DPS gear its just crazy as they are > 1,000,000.

I thought my 400k was pretty damn high.

I am leveling in adventure mode, fucking awesome.

Doing this with my Crusader also and it's a blast! I was saving my rift keys for later on but accidentally clicked the monument in town and opened a new rift. Jumped in and faced 13 elite/champion packs in the first area generated - which was just a big open Blood Marsh area - it was insane!

Just got the ring that reduces set item requirements by 1. Now I just gotta craft a set boots and get +100RA and +20% life, should easily put me at over 10 mil toughness. That should easily survive the lower torments. The only issue is DPS, 450k dps seems to be way too low for effective T1 farming.

They really need a way to lock gear in your bags...second pair of Nemesis Bracers down the drain..

I'm not sure if that is stupidity on my part or just a sign of so many horrible legendaries being in the game...I'd say its a little of both

They really need a way to lock gear in your bags...second pair of Nemesis Bracers down the drain..

I'm not sure if that is stupidity on my part or just a sign of so many horrible legendaries being in the game...I'd say its a little of both

did you accidentally sell or salvage? the former permits buyback at the merchant, the latter offers a confirmation dialog.

Maltheal on T1 was a pain. For a DH, trying to balance out the right combo of armor, ar, hp and regen to work it out was tricky. I imagine if I can get lvl70 Nat's gear it would make t2-3 accessible.

Right now with 493k base dps, 20k regen, 4.5 mil tough, t1 is fairly efficient. Elite packs are going down ok now.

Twice? PEBKAC.

My toughness may not be much at 2.9 mill for monk, but my damage is 750k unbuffed at paragon 256. T1 solo farming is cake for me. The problem for me was not having luck with legendary drops, so my upgrades only came from crafted gear. I'm still wearing some level 60 stuff that I have not found upgrades for.

I suspect I could solo t2, maybe t3. At 750k unbuffed, it's enough for myself and another higher toughness/less damage monk to carry the rest of the group in party play. The other monk level 70 gear though and quite a few legendaries.

Also, vita skews toughness a lot. I put more worth into resistances and armor to a lesser degree.

Holy hell. I just got the expansion and my monk has like 170k dps and l a bit over a mil toughness solely from my pre expansion items.

I just beat Ultheal or whatever and I seriously had to turn the difficulty down to Hard. I just couldn't beat Adria otherwise. Guess all my gear is seriously outdated now.

Holy hell. I just got the expansion and my monk has like 170k dps and l a bit over a mil toughness solely from my pre expansion items.

I just beat Ultheal or whatever and I seriously had to turn the difficulty down to Hard. I just couldn't beat Adria otherwise. Guess all my gear is seriously outdated now.

All my characters have the same issue. Not finding replacement stuff fast enough. One of my toughest couldn't get past the last boss in normal private game. One of my mules did tho! :)
My crusader at lvl 20 now can handle T1, so it's just a matter of getting the right gear.

Does anyone have the problem where you lose partial or complete control of your character and have to exit the game and reload the level to continue playing? It only happens when playing the Crusader. The mobs continue to attack and my health bar drops, but I end under getting to zero health and unable to die. This happened at least 10 - 15 times today and only on the Crusader in Act IV. I might have to join a public group so they can run me through it so I don't have to keep restarting the game.

:( :( :(

I'm on the fence about toughness...

you can stack vit and end up with ridiculous toughness values but if the damage you take > what you heal for per second, what is the point?

At 6k armor and 1300 ar on T1, Maltheal's 1 shot move does 200k damage on the non monk/barb classes. Elite packs affixes like frozen pulse, arcane (laser), or 3-4 frozen orbs will remove 200k within 5 hits.

I re-rolled for damage reduction from melee/ranged 10% on a leg set and found it more effective than stacking to 1500 all resist and 7k armor via paragon. Putting more regen via paragon seemed to mitigate damage, but I'm now a ridiculous 10k per second and 6k life on hit and 4k orb boost.

Oh well this one mob called Razorclaw causes desync 100% of the time for me. You have to kill him to unlock Tyrael so it's not something I can skip. :(

This must be what it's like to be a meth addict. I started playing around 9:30PM yesterday, and just couldn't stop until like 1:45AM (EST). We were doing a Master T1 run through Act V (not done yet), but it was definitely a hoot...some of the fights on that difficult at the 66 level range are brutal.

Beat the expansion. I'm really enjoying the game and the new loot system but It must have taken a whopping 2 hours maybe to complete the exp? It felt way too short. I like the enchanting and transmorph aspect of the game but I really feel like this expansion should have been apart of the original d3.

As a side note. As much as the AH was a joke. I think it would be great to have right now. That way I could dump all this gear I don't need for some gold. It could off set the cost it takes to enchant my gear with the "perfect" stat. Just my2cents

Got 67 last night. Xpack is pretty cool. Anyone playing hardcore? Getting lonely over here.

Yeah, I only play hardcore anymore. PureBooYah#1946, I'm in the H clan too. I play with Namtaru#1339(AMD T-Type here) all the time...although he just sold his house so he won't be around for a while. At the moment I'm playing through Act V with quick join disabled getting to 70 and I guess you could call it "scouting" the boss fights/monsters on normal/hard/expert before I up the difficulty and turn quick join back on. I find it easier for me to do it solo.

Anyone experience inconsistencies with the difficulty? My buddy and I started act V on master and it was tough as hell. Got to the point where we were just trying to do as much damage as possible before death.

We reformed on expert and it was retarded easy, one shotting everything.

Reformed back up to master and it was still too easy. Raised to torment and it was still easier than master was before. Not sure wtf is goin on.

Well the desync is worse than Path of Exile for me. And for some reason I'm in a solo game and level 51 items keep dropping. My character is level 65. Also every time that desync hits, I logout and when I come back the entire Act IV is reset so I have to start from the very beginning. Right then I was one portal from Diablo and now it reset my quests to the beginning of Act IV. At this rate I'll be 70 before I can kill Diablo. Hell I got to 65 trying to get to him. LOL!

I'm on the fence about toughness...

you can stack vit and end up with ridiculous toughness values but if the damage you take > what you heal for per second, what is the point?

At 6k armor and 1300 ar on T1, Maltheal's 1 shot move does 200k damage on the non monk/barb classes. Elite packs affixes like frozen pulse, arcane (laser), or 3-4 frozen orbs will remove 200k within 5 hits.

I re-rolled for damage reduction from melee/ranged 10% on a leg set and found it more effective than stacking to 1500 all resist and 7k armor via paragon. Putting more regen via paragon seemed to mitigate damage, but I'm now a ridiculous 10k per second and 6k life on hit and 4k orb boost.

Your resistances are stacked beyond the diminishing returns, do you not know about the 1:10 Resist all:Armor ratio? And yes toughness is a very misleading concept, I simply ignore it and follow the old pre 2.0 theorycrafting knowledge.

Anyone experience inconsistencies with the difficulty? My buddy and I started act V on master and it was tough as hell. Got to the point where we were just trying to do as much damage as possible before death.

We reformed on expert and it was retarded easy, one shotting everything.

Reformed back up to master and it was still too easy. Raised to torment and it was still easier than master was before. Not sure wtf is goin on.

My game is doing the exact same thing. I was on Torment 1 and went to Act II and couldn't damage a mob. I was suddenly getting one shot whereas before I was cruising through it. Switched to Master and I was one shotting stuff. Switched back to Torment I and everything wa fine. Cutscene happens and first mob one shots me again afterwards. :( Also I keep getting level 51 gear for some reason unknown to man.

My game is doing the exact same thing. I was on Torment 1 and went to Act II and couldn't damage a mob. I was suddenly getting one shot whereas before I was cruising through it. Switched to Master and I was one shotting stuff. Switched back to Torment I and everything wa fine. Cutscene happens and first mob one shots me again afterwards. :( Also I keep getting level 51 gear for some reason unknown to man.

It seems difficulty goes up as you level/progress regardless of game difficulty. So Hard feels like a breeze until you start to level and then it becomes more gear dependent. It also jumps as you near the end of each Act so Torment I at the beginning of Act V feels like Torment II near the end.

I think what they are saying, though, is that switching back and forth between difficulties can make the same difficulty level different, arbitrarily.

Sounds like a bug to me.

I think what they are saying, though, is that switching back and forth between difficulties can make the same difficulty level different, arbitrarily.

Sounds like a bug to me.

That's right. And i agree, the difference was so huge it definitely felt like a bug.

I was having a similar issue, except when I turned it down from torment 1 to expert and then master, it didn't seem to make any difference at all. The urzael fight took like 20 minutes or so it seemed. I turned it down to normal, then was way over powered, so turned it back to master and it seems fine now. Although I have left the monk at 69 due to loving the crusader for now.

That's right. And i agree, the difference was so huge it definitely felt like a bug.

Id be curious to know if the XP scaling was still applied appropriately for the difficulty you had it set on as opposed to whatever bugged difficulty it was actually on. that would be really hard to verify though

Id be curious to know if the XP scaling was still applied appropriately for the difficulty you had it set on as opposed to whatever bugged difficulty it was actually on. that would be really hard to verify though

Ohh i didn't think of checking my bonus experience to check, damn. I shoulda done that.

Torment 1 really feels like torment 3 as in D3.. had to scale down to expert to take down stupid Adria lol.. crazy only managed to get her hp to half then it was not possible more bah stupid repairs needed :( this game is very hard scaled i think u have tons of toughness over 1 mil but it still nothing even in torment 1 i dont get itwhy the difficulty is so damn hard when u could easy torment 3 in d3...

Back