Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

You can already play the expansion, just change your region to Asia and go.

What's the best thing to do with a Barb? I've been playing mostly DH so this is a different beast...up to level 52 with the Barb but I feel like unless I use a two-handed weapon I am doing shit damage (and even then it seems crap compared to my DH), and I don't even feel super tank-y either. I have a mix of rares and legendaries for gear so I wouldn't think it is that, but maybe that's part of it. I'm not really sure what Barb is best at...I would think it would be tanking, but I don't feel like I can really do that well with that right now.

Here's the character: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MavericK-11778/hero/42276068

And yes I realize that 1H sword sucks. When I was using a 2H legendary I was getting about 40% better damage, but I felt WAY weaker in terms of being able to take damage.

You can already play the expansion, just change your region to Asia and go.

Tried, then realized I'd have to reconfigure all game settings since they don't sync between regions. Too lazy :) I'll just wait 3.5 more hrs. Plus I don't want to risk a zombie swarm of korean no-lifers crashing my session in the launch day feeding frenzy.

Anyhoo the new "Mystic" artisan was news to me, somehow I hadn't noticed it in the RoP preview blogs I've read. Will be interesting to see how enabling you to selectively re-roll attributes on gear will change the game. Does it mean the people that have farmed gear 10 hours a day for two years will be up in arms that "now casuals can just get the sweetest gear right away, after it took me a year"

Last edited:
Green loot = set items. I have played a fair bit of 2.0 and have not seen a single green item drop. Plenty of legendaries though.

Green loot = set items. I have played a fair bit of 2.0 and have not seen a single green item drop. Plenty of legendaries though.

I think I've had about 3 drop and another 3 set plans. All of them were shit though, mostly just the crappy stuff that adds to resist and isn't really worth it. (Probably more interesting in Hardcore mode)

I've had a couple of set items drop as well as a few set plans. Though that may have been before that hotfix that nerfed set item drops to Torment only. They are VERY rare, though...you get like 10x more legendaries than set items in my experience.

What's the best thing to do with a Barb? I've been playing mostly DH so this is a different beast...up to level 52 with the Barb but I feel like unless I use a two-handed weapon I am doing shit damage (and even then it seems crap compared to my DH), and I don't even feel super tank-y either. I have a mix of rares and legendaries for gear so I wouldn't think it is that, but maybe that's part of it. I'm not really sure what Barb is best at...I would think it would be tanking, but I don't feel like I can really do that well with that right now.

Here's the character: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MavericK-11778/hero/42276068

And yes I realize that 1H sword sucks. When I was using a 2H legendary I was getting about 40% better damage, but I felt WAY weaker in terms of being able to take damage.

I recommend Rend, Heroic Leap, and maybe Revenge.

I recommend Rend, Heroic Leap, and maybe Revenge.

Yeah I've tried Rend, and I kind of go back and forth between that and Frenzy. Heroic Leap and Revenge I will give a try. I just feel severely underpowered...can't even solo Expert really with this current build.

Yeah I've tried Rend, and I kind of go back and forth between that and Frenzy. Heroic Leap and Revenge I will give a try. I just feel severely underpowered...can't even solo Expert really with this current build.

I would swap out Animosity for Unforgiving and Brawler for Superstition, which should really help you spam HotA, which will allow you to heal more with Bloodthirst as well. Superstition is particularly good when you're surrounded by lava/poison pools since you get a constant stream of fury to use.

Personally I like Cleave - Broad Sweep when using 2handers as well, and if you get any lightning damage bonuses you can benefit both it and your HotA rune.

Sprint is a questionable choice these days (to me) because I've found the Barb to be somewhat fury-starved, and spending fury on a short movement skill seems like a waste. Leap - Death From Above would make an excellent complement to your HotA - Rolling Thunder choice (stuns), plus you get a movement skill and fury generator. You could also consider Call of Arreat for the reasons I'll state below...

Threatening Shout is okay, but since you're running Earthquake consider giving the Demoralize rune a try: you pop Earthquake and then taunt in the center of it, ensuring that most enemies will walk into it instead of away. Leap - Call of Arreat could also serve to keep enemies in place for your Earthquake. Then once you have them coming to you you lay waste with HotA. Demoralize will also interrupt most 'charge up' attacks, btw, like the Bulls in Fields of Misery, those dudes that swing the huge hammers, etc., and they will instead try to just regularly attack you.

When I play barb, I definitely played with Cleave 98% of the time, the other 2% was spent leveling up to unlock Cleave :D

Leap with the Stun or Taunt rune are good choices and you can pick whatever shout you want. I do like the grappling hooks for pulling enemies towards you because the ones that run away are super annoying. One nice thing about Leap is that it can get you in OR out of the fight. For the 4th spell slot I like calling the ancients to join me and they come in, kick ass, then go on cool down for a while. However in the new expansion it seems more beneficial to take the spell which turns you into a giant because you will do more damage than the ass kickers will do combined with your new gears.

If you want to try Frenzy you really gotta find good one handers. Echoing Fury and the Bul Kathos set was the way to go pre expansion but not sure about the new best one handers.

So... Ladders confirmed in the Developer Q&A going right now, coming in the first content patch.

They also talked about adding a form of competitive PvE, where clearing a Rift rewards you with a key to open a more difficult Rift, clearing that gives you another key to an even harder Rift, and so on and so forth, complete with leaderboards.

servers take a dump? had a awesome group going... i was like omg there is no issues, bam lost connection from bnet

Man, I'm level 68 and I've replaced exactly 0 pieces of gear...actively looking to replace it

Act 5 was awesome!

70 already though, felt too fast (leveling speed). lets see how adventure mode is...

First "drop" was a set piece sword, less than an hour in. No internet lag, but I'll need to lower my graphics settings slightly. I'm having a ton of fun, but alas, work in the morning.

my char looks like ass with the new gear lol, but the expansion is pretty fun. ive been up all night playing, beat it, got level 70 and found 3 friggin gold wraps, i didnt get much for legs but i hope to find more. now off to work lol

was only able to hop on for 30mins before work, got crusader to 7. lol

going to focus on my wiz to 70 once i get home from work.. wont have a ton of time until monday my flex day off from work and this weekend.

Played for a couple of hours last night. Went through Act 5 and a round of adventure mode. Got to almost 69... only replaced 2 pieces of gear so far. The new emerald gems make the socket in your weapon even more necessary. I couldn't replace my 1150 DPS xbow due to the socket until I got another weapon with a socket (1880 dps bow). Got a set ring from Malthael. I feel like I should have grinded to 70 first before killing him... oh well.

So, I was going to buy Reaper of Souls, but apparently they shit all over Surround/Eyefinity users.

My resolution is locked in windowed mode to 1024x768. The resolution options are locked. I tried editing d3prefs, but it just changes the resolution as soon as launch back to 1024x768. I tried marking d3prefs read only, then it just gets ignored and still runs at 1024x768. I switched it to run on my accessory monitor and it fired up fullscreen, but the wreaked havoc on my drivers and they nearly instantly crashed. I also ran as admin, no dice there either.

I waited 2 hours to chat to a GM and they said that Surround/Eyefinity was not supported, which confirms what I found on the D3 forums about saying that it gave "an unfair gameplay advantage".

Now, I know that it used to work in Eyefinity perfectly fine awhile back, but it looks as though they intentionally locked out Surround/Eyefinity when it detects it now from what I can see.

Are there any workarounds for this? Only thing I didn't try was disabling SLI.

Running 780 SLI with 3 - 24's in portrait, 3600x1920.

As a landscape eyefinity user, I wish there was a way to lock the resolution at 1920x1080 either windowed or borderless windowed. As it stands if I want to play I disable my eyefinity group. I have not played post-expansion, but borderless windowed mode would work at 6048x1080 for me prior to the patch. Windowed mode gave me similar tiny options to what you are seeing.

man I am sending my copy back if there is no fix for this.. the hell with that.

did you try: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/diablo-iii/en

widescreen fixer? I am guessing the peeps at wsgf will be all over this trying to hack it.. I'm going to wait and see. So as long as you don't install the actual RoS add-on you're ok with multi-screen or did they patch that in the regular game today also? If it's just locked out to all now in all versions I am likely going to stop playing..

sigh... time to upgrade to 3x 27" displays... playing on one 24" is just too small. /me = spoiled.

edit: what really pisses me off is they just made the game great and now they have to cripple it again. I mean, really??!
edit2: I am guessing Hayden will patch FlawlessWS to fix this... not sure if it's done or not already.. no time to test now but will later.

So, I was going to buy Reaper of Souls, but apparently they shit all over Surround/Eyefinity users.

My resolution is locked in windowed mode to 1024x768. The resolution options are locked. I tried editing d3prefs, but it just changes the resolution as soon as launch back to 1024x768. I tried marking d3prefs read only, then it just gets ignored and still runs at 1024x768. I switched it to run on my accessory monitor and it fired up fullscreen, but the wreaked havoc on my drivers and they nearly instantly crashed. I also ran as admin, no dice there either.

I waited 2 hours to chat to a GM and they said that Surround/Eyefinity was not supported,
[snip]

Last edited:
As a landscape eyefinity user, I wish there was a way to lock the resolution at 1920x1080 either windowed or borderless windowed. As it stands if I want to play I disable my eyefinity group. I have not played post-expansion, but borderless windowed mode would work at 6048x1080 for me prior to the patch. Windowed mode gave me similar tiny options to what you are seeing.

All I know, is that I patched last night, before release to get my client working, and I was locked out of resolution settings. Not sure if this was brand new in the latest patch or not, as I haven't done anything in D3 for 6+ months, maybe more. It was switched over from the D3 theme to a Reaper theme after I patched, so I assume it was new.

man I am sending my copy back if there is no fix for this.. the hell with that.

did you try: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/diablo-iii/en

widescreen fixer? I am guessing the peeps at wsgf will be all over this trying to hack it.. I'm going to wait and see. So as long as you don't install the actual RoS add-on you're ok with multi-screen or did they patch that in the regular game today also? If it's just locked out to all now in all versions I am likely going to stop playing..

sigh... time to upgrade to 3x 27" displays... playing on one 24" is just too small. /me = spoiled.

I tried everything there except the Helifax solution, as I don't really want to start running programs to run my programs...

Edit: I can't get the game out of Windowed mode. It won't let me edit the option and ignores d3prefs, oh, I tried...

I feel like this has to be worked out for users in portrait mode at a minimum. Hell they support the retina macbook pro @ 3840x2160. There is no "unfair advantage" when you are running portrait mode other than having a lot of pixels.

I was playing in 4800x1200 a few days ago without a problem, aside from the fact the game handles pop in on the side monitors horribly. I had to launch the game a couple of times before it worked, I forgot if I was in windowed mode or not. It would stink if they took this away. I don't see it being "unfair" since it doesn't have PVP or anything in it.

Using NV Surround:
d3wide.jpg

Last edited:
Hayden's Flawless WS is another possible option. He's actively updating it with game releases also. I played last night from 8pm until 10:30pm pacific and all was working normally @ 5760x1080. I am guessing the patch rolled in at midnight though.

edit: fuck it I am going to be late to work. :/ so the game is running normally at 5760x1080 for me right now... I have not installed the RoS expansion.. and will not until there is some kind of confirmation on a fix for mm.

ocellaris - yeah it does handle the side screens badly at times.. the texture fill in lag, it really bugged me at first but I have learned to live with it.

All I know, is that I patched last night, before release to get my client working, and I was locked out of resolution settings. Not sure if this was brand new in the latest patch or not, as I haven't done anything in D3 for 6+ months, maybe more. It was switched over from the D3 theme to a Reaper theme after I patched, so I assume it was new.

I tried everything there except the Helifax solution, as I don't really want to start running programs to run my programs...

Last edited:
The only way I was able to get eyefinity to work, in Diablo 3, is to run it in windowed fullscreen. If I tried non-windowed I didn't get the eyefinity resolution option. I also get the pop-in on the side monitors.

The only way I was able to get eyefinity to work, in Diablo 3, is to run it in windowed fullscreen. If I tried non-windowed I didn't get the eyefinity resolution option. I also get the pop-in on the side monitors.

same... that's how I have been running it. I have not been using FlawlessWS but I might try it and see if it allows me to adjust the gamma and stuff... that's all locked out in windowed full screen.

Does the expansion let you jump straight to act 5? I'm picking up my collector's edition when I get off work this evening, but my current character is a lvl 57 monk in the middle of act 3 on my second playthrough. Hoping I don't have to play through Act 4 again to get to the new content...

Back