Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I wasn't really expecting this, but I am having a pretty fun time with this game!

Bought this at launch and hadn't played it at all since, and only played a bit back then before shelving it. Was playing Path recently and started getting a little disinterested. Despite the huge skill tree it was feeling shallow and repetitive, both gameplay and environments. But that is just me. I know a lot of peeps prefer it over D3, my son for one.

On a whim I thought I would give D3 another look. Two days later the patch went live. Now I am playing through on normal nearing the end of act one for the first time. I have a Monk in his 20s and a Wizard in her teens. Both are fun to play, the moves and attacks are varied and lot of fun to pull off. The environments are detailed, there is entertaining rapport between NPCs. Some of the conversation is actually funny! There are nice touches of interaction with the environment too. Knocking over book cases, dropping chandeliers on baddies, breaking through barricades. Lots of dungeons scattered around for adventuring into.

I have changed my view on the art style as well. I use to think it was too cartoon, like World of Warcraft, but after spending time with the game the art style has grown on me. I only wish I could play at a higher resolution than 1920 X 1080, but that is the best my monitor will do.

As far as drops, so far I get plenty that are good enough to get through the game. I have a couple of legendarys, and what is really cool you are able to put stuff into the stash box that all characters on the account can share.

Last edited:
I had at level 14 monk at launch and stopped playing. Started fresh today with a demon hunter and am enjoying it.

That's ... hilarious. Those were two of my suggestions back when D3 first came out: Legendaries are bound to you and have an increasing chance of getting one until you find one.

I find that normal or hard is just way more efficient. You blow through 1 or 2 shotting everything (more drops/exp per hour). Resetting the quests gives you guaranteed legendaries too, so quantity over quality I guess.

On a side note - does anyone know how the heck to trade right now? I'm trying to give my gf some items and the trade is perpetually greyed out. Even in town when she's just standing there next to me (I'm looking at her screen...), it says she's busy. It does this for all loot, not just legendaries (which supposedly can be traded between us for 2 hours...). When I drop it on the ground, it says the item belongs to another player (even for shitty blues).

Did you recently make a digital purchase for RoS or something else from Blizzard? The put a trade/AH/etc freeze on accounts for up to 72 hours while a purchase goes through, or at least that's the disclaimer they give when you make a digital purchase.

i have some pants that emit a horrid stench that poisons nearby enemies. maybe my characters sharts or something.

http://i59.tinypic.com/33cyhoy.png[IMG]

not bad for bumping damage output by 4459.6 from just standing there.[/QUOTE]

Got a couple of those, none with vit though, that fart does pretty good damage. While leveling a Wiz I got a couple of cool ones....

I didn't find a replacement for this until about level 50
[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/xp80t5.png

This staff was pretty hilarious, any common enemy will walk towards the meteor and just stand there
wt63au.png

Heh that staff is pretty cool.

I have found some interesting legendaries myself. Among them:

Shoulders that turn all of your equipped items indestructible (no death penalty for SC basically)
Shoulders that let you cast TP while under attack (also puts up a small defensive shield when you are casting the TP)
Gloves that drop gold every time you get a massacre bonus (has really boosted my income!)

I am pretty sure I figured out how legendaries drop now. It does not seem like legendaries are tied to any level anymore, since I have found the same legendary multiple times, but with enhanced stats/level requirement since I was higher lvl the second time around. For example I got Aquila Curiass once it was like lvl30 or something, then I found it again at lvl60. Kind of cool since it means that the low lvl legendaries that previously had little to no use other than novelty can spawn with lvl60 stats and actually be useful? Can someone confirm this is the case?

Ruahrc

That was a big change in loot 2.0, that legendaries now drop based on the monster level. So if you kill a level level 30 monster, you will find a legendary that is level 30. That same legendary can be found at any other level if you have enough luck to find it.

Anyone have any recommendations for skills for a monk? I always feel like I'm doing something wrong :p

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Krieg1337-1699/hero/8162877

Anything specific I should look to find maybe on the AH? Crit hit chance is like 32%, 320% or something damage. But my attacks are pretty slow since I am still using a Skorn.

Drop Fist of Thunder: Thunderclap first of all since Blizzard nerfed the attack speed. Pick up Way of the Hundred Fists instead. If you're attacking slow, you can pick up Blazing Fists rune that increases attack speed and movement speed 5%, stacking 3 times for 15% total. Otherwise, you can use Fists of Fury or Hands of Lightning. Mantras are now equally good since many have different active effects. You're fine there, but if you need some more survivability, consider Mantra of Healing with Boon of Spirit rune...then spam the heck out of that freebie shield you get on active. You are using a 2hander, so maybe pick up Wave of Light or Lashing Tail Kick. Breath of Heaven isn't needed IMO.

Gear choice...don't bother since stuff is over priced on AH right now and will be obsolete in 2 weeks once RoS goes live.

EDIT: Since your crit chance is only 32%, change Sweeping Wind rune to the one that does fire damage. Forgot the name.

And what you can buy from AH if you don't have them already is the plans for Archon Spaulders of Dexterity and Razorspikes of Dexterity. Then buy the Archon chest armor recipe from Squirt, the girl vendor in act 2. Start crafting. These will be upgrades very quickly. Most of your crafts will be 300+dex/200+ vit for the shoulders and chest, which beats out the best Vileward (unless you find one in this patch). The chest will take a few crafts before you get something with 3 sockets, but in my experience as well as that of my guild mates, it's not too bad. Eventually you will get something with 300+dex/200+vit and all resist or skill damage. Same with shoulders. Bracers will probably take you the longest to craft since you want that 300+dex/200+vit (easy to get), but you want all resist and 6% crit chance too. More mods = harder to get during crafts.

Salvage everything that is useless for crafting mats. Whites, blues, yellows.

Last edited:
That was a big change in loot 2.0, that legendaries now drop based on the monster level. So if you kill a level level 30 monster, you will find a legendary that is level 30. That same legendary can be found at any other level if you have enough luck to find it.

So any legendary can spawn at any level? Or maybe there are minimums. On the bnet game guide, the legendary items have levels associated with them, maybe they cannot spawn below that level? (so you will never find lvl5 Sledge of Athskeleng, etc)

So I reinstalled yesterday, but I don't see anyone playing. I made a new character and wanted to find a public game, but it always shows 0 players playing. I even selected the different difficulty levels. Where is everyone?

Make sure you have 25% movement speed , so if you have two items that give 12% just put two points in movespeed for the bonus 1%, rest in strength. if you have over 40% base crit chance you can put your points in crit hit damage, otherwise put them in crit hit chance. put the defense points in all resistance. put the utility points in area damage (unless you feel you need survivability in which case do life on hit)

What about gems? The same? Crit damage for weapons and strength for everything else?

Started playing this again with a new Demon Hunter... This is so much easier to play on a console with a controller :eek:

Good to see the console loot system in the PC game though! My character is really fun to play and damage is scaling nicely :D

So any legendary can spawn at any level? Or maybe there are minimums. On the bnet game guide, the legendary items have levels associated with them, maybe they cannot spawn below that level? (so you will never find lvl5 Sledge of Athskeleng, etc)

It makes sense if it's the minimum. I've found level 34 and 60 Gungdo Gear bracers and level 48 and 60 Pox Faulds pants

Started playing this again with a new Demon Hunter... This is so much easier to play on a console with a controller :eek:

Good to see the console loot system in the PC game though! My character is really fun to play and damage is scaling nicely :D

One thing I noticed in the console version is rolling with one of the analog sticks.

Started playing again, and it's quite a bit more fun now. Legendaries are dropping like candy, legendary BS plans, and even set pieces. Got my first set piece ring as well.

I might have to up the difficulty. I am taking out the big bosses before I even have time to figure out a strategy against them. I am fighting this guy toe to toe, thinking it might be smart to break away and figure a tactic, and he explodes into a shower of items!

I might have to up the difficulty. I am taking out the big bosses before I even have time to figure out a strategy against them. I am fighting this guy toe to toe, thinking it might be smart to break away and figure a tactic, and he explodes into a shower of items!

Normal difficulty is a joke with the new Loot 2.0 setup. Put it up to Hard and play online, stuff dies almost as fast and you get a huge XP and loot bonus.

So I'm not sure how this works, but how much gold does one normally charge to bring you into an infernal machine portal? I just made my first machine and getting those keys is a real drag. I did get the spine, so I'm looking to get the next 2 pieces.

So I'm not sure how this works, but how much gold does one normally charge to bring you into an infernal machine portal? I just made my first machine and getting those keys is a real drag. I did get the spine, so I'm looking to get the next 2 pieces.

They nerfed the drop rate on organs. It is now only 50% chance in Torment VI.

The encounters are super hard now even on Torment IV because of the nerf on life steal.

Just up the Torment level that you're farming on and prosper instead. RoS has a new Hellfire ring anyway with a new Diablo uber encounter.

T1 = 300% increased xp. T2 = 400% increased xp. T3 = 550% increased xp. Current Hellfire ring = 35% increased xp.

I'd say hold off until RoS, because right now few people can do T VI ubers consistently.

Even the easiest uber encounter now is hard because of the life steal nerf. I used to be able to solo Ghom on Inferno 10. Now, Ghom in T IV is no joke.

I'm not even using a Hellfire ring, and I actually have one. I just solo T III or T IV or duo/group some of the lower difficulties since most people are not geared as much as me. A Hellfire ring would drop my damage by like 50k. I kill slower and end up at a loss even with the 35% bonus XP. I suspect that will be the case for most people unless they have a shitty ring to begin with that even the crappiest of Hellfire rings would be an upgrade for.

Wish there was a faster way to salvage items. Like for example if you had the salvage tab open, right clicking on items would salvage them from your inventory. Dragging them one by one is a pain and a hassle.

Wish there was a faster way to salvage items. Like for example if you had the salvage tab open, right clicking on items would salvage them from your inventory. Dragging them one by one is a pain and a hassle.

Click the anvil, it'll change your cursor to a salvage pointer, all you'll have to do then is click the item.

Sorry ...but oh my god ... you've been doing that???

tip: turn off the "are you sure" prompt in the options or keep your hand on the enter key to spam it once you start using the anvil method

They nerfed the drop rate on organs. It is now only 50% chance in Torment VI.

The encounters are super hard now even on Torment IV because of the nerf on life steal.

Just up the Torment level that you're farming on and prosper instead. RoS has a new Hellfire ring anyway with a new Diablo uber encounter.

T1 = 300% increased xp. T2 = 400% increased xp. T3 = 550% increased xp. Current Hellfire ring = 35% increased xp.

I'd say hold off until RoS, because right now few people can do T VI ubers consistently.

Even the easiest uber encounter now is hard because of the life steal nerf. I used to be able to solo Ghom on Inferno 10. Now, Ghom in T IV is no joke.

I'm not even using a Hellfire ring, and I actually have one. I just solo T III or T IV or duo/group some of the lower difficulties since most people are not geared as much as me. A Hellfire ring would drop my damage by like 50k. I kill slower and end up at a loss even with the 35% bonus XP. I suspect that will be the case for most people unless they have a shitty ring to begin with that even the crappiest of Hellfire rings would be an upgrade for.
so I've been farming for nothing? :( at least I'm upping my paragon level in the process.
lol...

Sorry ...but oh my god ... you've been doing that???

tip: turn off the "are you sure" prompt in the options or keep your hand on the enter key to spam it once you start using the anvil method

I've been salvaging one item at a time too. I need to get hip to the pro method!

I've been doing T3 ubers, organ drop rate is pretty low. Ive got like 4 of one organ and none of the other type. :rolleyes:

so I've been farming for nothing? :( at least I'm upping my paragon level in the process.

All the gear is going to be obsolete, of course, but some will be useful longer than others. Legendaries with useful special abilities will still be useful. 35% xp from hellfire is good, but the question is do you have a different ring that can make you farm 35% faster? Probably not. But in a game with basically infinite paragon levels I don't see xp gain as that useful anymore.

Some things are useful enough to keep all the way, like the 100% increase to pet damage helm for WD, that will scale as you level since your DPS from other items will increase.

Got back into this game since last Thursday. Got my gf to pick it up too (she got the base game + ROS for $59.99). We play side by side as well as with some friends online.

Here are my thoughts after basically playing during almost all of my free time since last Thursday as someone who tabled the game a couple months after release, mixed with some impressions from observing a new (relatively casual) player.

Overall, the game has definitely improved. I think if anything, the main takeaway for me is that the game is very "jump in" friendly. You can hop online and just hop into a friend's game without feeling like you're 'wasting your time' because it's not your optimal neph valor siegebreaker route (oh how I loathed those days).

On Thursday, there was a very immediate rewarding feeling as legendaries started piling in. My DH who had previously beat inferno shortly after release was now getting upgrades on random rares and blues. My other characters who were much further behind in gear saw massive leaps in upgrades. Every character pretty much found an appropriate legendary weapon for themselves with amazing stats. Wow, what a feeling. Obviously after a couple of days, it's leveled out and I've come back down to earth. I think it's important to keep a sense of perspective. Sure, these drops are upgrades over what I had previously - but does that mean the game is 'fixed'? Over time, upgrades became more and more rare - as they should. Mathematically that's just how it works (every time you upgrade, the pool of items that can be considered an upgrade shrinks). That part can't be 'fixed'. Gear that's tailored for your main stat is great, but it kind of annoys me that finding an upgrade for my Wizard on my DH is insanely rare.

To my gf, who had never played before - the drops just didn't seem like a big deal. My friends and I were freakin' out while she was just basically like meh, shrug. In reality, why should she react differently? Legendaries were everywhere from the start for her. Ever since King Leo dropped one for her 30 minutes into the game. Legendaries are normal now. She didn't have the same exciting feeling every time she found one. And to be honest, I'm starting to feel that way too. I now get annoyed when I don't get a legendary for an hour. Something else I'm a little confused about is why there's so few greens. They're like 1 in every 50 legendaries or something.

The pace of the game I think has improved in terms of removing nightmare/hell/inferno. You no longer are forced to run the game at least 3 times before you get to the 'meat'. This of course is completely lost on new players. Running the game more than even once is like "what? Why would you?" (reaction from my gf). When we beat it for the first time, we were still at 47. I then told her to reset her quests so we can re-run it, hit 60, and get legendary rewards from bosses again. Her reactions were 1) k... legendaries... those things that drop like candy... 2) why do we have to re-run everything again? Both good points, but without perspective, she just didn't have the same sorts of feelings the rest of us did. I think this new system may spoil new players a bit - but overall I would definitely prefer this to the old one. I would never have recommended this game to my gf before (at least not on a long term level - maybe just once through normal).

Last edited:
Im noticing extreme amounts of lag... just me?

Is it actually lag or something like a stutter? I've been having issues with my game. Sometimes it's downright unplayable. It'll freeze for a moment ever few seconds. I've tried all sorts of stuff, but can't figure it out. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. It's extremely inconsistent. It even does this in the menus, so I can tell if it's worth playing at the time or not before even going into a game.

Is it actually lag or something like a stutter? I've been having issues with my game. Sometimes it's downright unplayable. It'll freeze for a moment ever few seconds. I've tried all sorts of stuff, but can't figure it out. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. It's extremely inconsistent. It even does this in the menus, so I can tell if it's worth playing at the time or not before even going into a game.

Every so often, I run into an issue where I start attacking and it is like nothing is happening for a second or so. Also it only seems to happen at the beginning of fights, never really in the middle when I am spamming abilities.

I've never seen any problems in the menus.

Every so often, I run into an issue where I start attacking and it is like nothing is happening for a second or so. Also it only seems to happen at the beginning of fights, never really in the middle when I am spamming abilities.

I've never seen any problems in the menus.

This^ It started after Blizzard required the folder files to be restructued (or whatever). It was a 15-60 minute operation to my Diablo 3 folder. After that its been constant Lag/stuttering. Sometimes ill hit 1600ms ping. When before I was pretty constant with low ms. Ill never be better than 500ms, always Orange/red connection status.

Something I've noticed after farming quite a few legendaries is that there are two "tiers" each stat can roll, a low and a high tier - and it makes quite a huge difference.

For example I had two blackthornes necklaces drop, one of them had vitality with a range of like 250-333, the second one had a range of 320-510. Obviously the second one ended up being significantly better. I also found a Broken Crown with 500 int / vit while my friend had found one with 500 vit but only 280 int (both high tier rolls vs a high and low tier roll).

I'm not sure if difficulty level has any effect on which 'tier' ends up getting rolled or if it's completely random. Either way it gives you an opportunity to find an even more perfect version of the same legendary (gotta have something to keep searching for).

It's not that there are tiers, it's that sometimes items can double-dip in main stat or vit. The second Blackthorne's with higher stat rolls had 1 less affix than the other, correct?

Anyone have any farming suggestions for better loot? Currently soloing torment 3

You can try Normal difficulty speedrunning with magic find gear. I don't really time my legendary drops but i feel like its a little bit better in terms of drops over time. The caveat is low exp so little to no paragon progression

Back