Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Been enjoying my Barbarian immensly since patch, i uploaded a vid few days ago of the "Obelix"-spec. It's a little more tuned currently but haven't made a new video. Don't miss the old WW-spec at all, and best of all - no rubberbanding/deaths which was connected to that spec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckRdWpQe2k0&list=UUUno_4lKA0dgK8Nn0oI5cTQ&feature=c4-overview

try doing Torment 5 or 6.. Crazy hard for Barb... doable, but not as easy as before. Challenging tho. I'm comfortable doing T4 right now solo, but once lvl 70 gears pops up and new skills opens.. it would be interesting where the barb again.. but of course, gotta try the crusader first :)

The game is just so much better. Got to play a bit last night with my Wizard. It's actually hard to choose which rune you want or moves you want because most of them are good :eek:

Nice to see they added another gem type too, that was long overdue.

Got a Chantodoo's wand to drop that had 1300 dps. Grabbed an OH off the AH and I finally replaced my Scorn. Played with too many different specs to count last night. Kept changing things and trying out different synergies. All around great changes to the wizard class! So nice to get items which make you want to spec in different ways to take advantage of their bonuses.

try doing Torment 5 or 6.. Crazy hard for Barb... doable, but not as easy as before. Challenging tho. I'm comfortable doing T4 right now solo, but once lvl 70 gears pops up and new skills opens.. it would be interesting where the barb again.. but of course, gotta try the crusader first :)

Yeah i'm playing hardcore, i don't see any reason to play softcore :)

A really good patch. Already Paragon 262, tons of drops, the DH is now relevant in terms of DPS and teamplay (thank you wolfy buff).
Can't wait for RoS !

What spec are you guys using for your barbs? I feel very slow on T2 although I feel like I have decent gear. Currently sitting at ~100k dps unbuffed and 1m toughness and ~1000 healing. I've been running frenzy, BOULDER!, stomp, rend, wraith and whatever buff I feel like at the time. I'm using a skorn and have about 30-35 crit change and +300 crit damage and about 100k health. I don't die very often but elites take forever to kill. I've got some 1h weapons if I need to switch.

The game is so fun now that ... my wife, my wife was asking if she could try it. I let her roll a test character and she loved it. She games kinda, mostly stuff like Viva Pinata, Mario games etc.. but never into more core games like a Diablo series. Anyways, her laptop will run the game and she made the leap to ask me if I could get her a copy so she can play with me at night, and on mumble with my friends. :eek::eek:

I said Wow, immediately bought her a copy. Should be here in a day or two, and I'm pumped to get her into the addiction lol. She rocks so much, I have so many friends who's wives either shame them for being into games as a grown adult or simply chuckle and look the other way. Instead she wants to get involved and play with me.

edit. For the record, we already play some games together. On the WiiU or 360 every now and then but when I retire to my throne later at night, she just goes on pinterest or whatever. Its been this way since we've met.. so this is new territory. :D

Might pick this up for $14 or $19 if some place with digital delivery will sell it for the price. Not going into Lamespot.

The game is so fun now that ... my wife, my wife was asking if she could try it. I let her roll a test character and she loved it. She games kinda, mostly stuff like Viva Pinata, Mario games etc.. but never into more core games like a Diablo series. Anyways, her laptop will run the game and she made the leap to ask me if I could get her a copy so she can play with me at night, and on mumble with my friends. :eek::eek:

I said Wow, immediately bought her a copy. Should be here in a day or two, and I'm pumped to get her into the addiction lol. She rocks so much, I have so many friends who's wives either shame them for being into games as a grown adult or simply chuckle and look the other way. Instead she wants to get involved and play with me.

edit. For the record, we already play some games together. On the WiiU or 360 every now and then but when I retire to my throne later at night, she just goes on pinterest or whatever. Its been this way since we've met.. so this is new territory. :D

lol my buddy was hoping that D3 on console would get his wife into gaming. She looked at some videos and said it looked kinda cool. Then it got here and she couldn't give a shit.. silly wimmens.

so the other day i hoped on D3 with the new patch been a LONG time since i signed on very long time, figured id be like MEH and go back to Stick of Truth but wow i got hooked again i played for a few hours, it felt like a new game, like the new loot system, paragon system and the game in general ran so smooth for me on my rig. i had to make a new wizard build since my last one was Crit Mass and that is dead now. Now i got like frost wizzie type build its pretty fun. I've only Tried Torment Difficulty level 2 so far and had nice success. My wizzie though only does 95K dmg but he's almost paragon 30. I didnt hop on my lvl 60 demon hunter yet to give him a whirl post patch but i like what they did, ill actually buy the expansion pack now. however im stressed out too many games to play, Stick of Truth, TitanFall, hearthstone and now D3.

Anyone know what i should be spending my points on for a whirlwind barb?

Make sure you have 25% movement speed , so if you have two items that give 12% just put two points in movespeed for the bonus 1%, rest in strength. if you have over 40% base crit chance you can put your points in crit hit damage, otherwise put them in crit hit chance. put the defense points in all resistance. put the utility points in area damage (unless you feel you need survivability in which case do life on hit)

Make sure you have 25% movement speed , so if you have two items that give 12% just put two points in movespeed for the bonus 1%, rest in strength. if you have over 40% base crit chance you can put your points in crit hit damage, otherwise put them in crit hit chance. put the defense points in all resistance. put the utility points in area damage (unless you feel you need survivability in which case do life on hit)

awesome, im pretty much doing this already except for movement speed. thank you

I still don't quite understand the Damage/Toughness/Healing percentages at the bottom of gear, either. I have been using them mostly to judge whether or not gear is an upgrade (looking at other attributes, of course) but sometimes something with like, double the armor rating will be a decrease in Toughness for me and I'm not sure why that is.

Playing as a Demon Hunter BTW.

Can someone explain the area damage mods and paragon points?

As per a dev post somewhere, every attack now has a base chance of 20% to do area damage, even attacks that are not area of effect attacks. Every attack has that 20% chance to do some kind of area damage.

Dumping paragon points into area damage increases (what's in a name?) the damage from those "splash" attacks.

You can find gear with the modifier that increases the base chance to do area damage.

As per a dev post somewhere, every attack now has a base chance of 20% to do area damage, even attacks that are not area of effect attacks. Every attack has that 20% chance to do some kind of area damage.

Dumping paragon points into area damage increases (what's in a name?) the damage from those "splash" attacks.

You can find gear with the modifier that increases the base chance to do area damage.

Thanks. That's what i was thinking, but wasn't sure. I didn't see the tooltips that probably explain this. My bad!

I still don't quite understand the Damage/Toughness/Healing percentages at the bottom of gear, either. I have been using them mostly to judge whether or not gear is an upgrade (looking at other attributes, of course) but sometimes something with like, double the armor rating will be a decrease in Toughness for me and I'm not sure why that is.

Playing as a Demon Hunter BTW.

Toughness is your Effective HP. This is the total amount of damage you can take on average before dying. This includes your resistances, armor, health pool, and percent to life. For example if you have 500k toughness and equip an item that increases your EHP 10%, you now have 550k toughness. Shields also affect this but I'm not sure how it accounts for the size/frequency of hits in relation to the shield.

In your case, the item you replaced probably had all resists or vitality / life bonuses on it where the new one has an armor bonus instead.

Note that this doesn't take into account things like decreased damage from elites and melee/ranged attacks (I think). The preview also doesn't account for One With Everything if you're playing a monk (it does show properly after equipping the item though)

Damage is simple - it's your average damage per second. Keep in mind this doesn't take into account things like the fact that 2H are more effective with spenders.

Healing is the average amount of hit points you heal per second. It seems to overvalue life per spirit spent / life per fury spent though.

All three of these stats can be moused over in game on your character sheet for an exact description (tooltip) of the stats that are used in the calculation.

Thanks. That's what i was thinking, but wasn't sure. I didn't see the tooltips that probably explain this. My bad!

The tooltip for it is in the character sheet > details stats panel near the top.

Currently it says "All attacks have a 20% chance to deal X amount of damage to enemies within 10 yards". Where X is the amount of increased area damage you have (0 by default)

I'm not really sure how strong that stat will end up being. 10 yards isn't exactly very large but it does allow for some interesting multiplicative damage on AOE attacks.

The tooltip for it is in the character sheet > details stats panel near the top.

Currently it says "All attacks have a 20% chance to deal X amount of damage to enemies within 10 yards". Where X is the amount of increased area damage you have (0 by default)

I'm not really sure how strong that stat will end up being. 10 yards isn't exactly very large but it does allow for some interesting multiplicative damage on AOE attacks.

I see it being applied like Path of Exile's "Splash Damage" gem.

So you'll get a build that uses single target attack as an AOE attack.

lol my buddy was hoping that D3 on console would get his wife into gaming. She looked at some videos and said it looked kinda cool. Then it got here and she couldn't give a shit.. silly wimmens.

lol, that was my expectation. My wife knows better than to ask for a game unless she really wants it b/c she is frugal as hell. So the fact she asked to play I was like.. what dimension am I in.

All the love for the latest patch forced me to go pick a copy up. I'm so used to seeing hate for this game, myself included, that I must see what all the fuss is about. I bought Diablo 3 on launch, and was one of the people who got a refund on it. I love the idea and the gameply, but there were so many issues. And I hated the RMAH. Seems like we are finally getting the game we wanted all along.

Toughness is your Effective HP. This is the total amount of damage you can take on average before dying. This includes your resistances, armor, health pool, and percent to life. For example if you have 500k toughness and equip an item that increases your EHP 10%, you now have 550k toughness. Shields also affect this but I'm not sure how it accounts for the size/frequency of hits in relation to the shield.

In your case, the item you replaced probably had all resists or vitality / life bonuses on it where the new one has an armor bonus instead.

Note that this doesn't take into account things like decreased damage from elites and melee/ranged attacks (I think). The preview also doesn't account for One With Everything if you're playing a monk (it does show properly after equipping the item though)

Damage is simple - it's your average damage per second. Keep in mind this doesn't take into account things like the fact that 2H are more effective with spenders.

Healing is the average amount of hit points you heal per second. It seems to overvalue life per spirit spent / life per fury spent though.

All three of these stats can be moused over in game on your character sheet for an exact description (tooltip) of the stats that are used in the calculation.

Great, thanks for the explanation (and thanks mgulbran as well). So essentially these are the metrics you want to be looking at for base stats, other than special abilities as mentioned?

I wonder now since the AH is disappearing, is there an item drop table? Do certain legendary or set items only drop in certain acts?

I miss the idea of unique items that have special abilities. I know some of the Legendaries can, and I guess Legendaries replaced Uniques, but so far none of the Legendaries I have found have anything interesting on them...just good stats.

I miss the idea of unique items that have special abilities. I know some of the Legendaries can, and I guess Legendaries replaced Uniques, but so far none of the Legendaries I have found have anything interesting on them...just good stats.

My gf found one that makes a treasure goblin follow you around. He picks up normal items, and for every 12 (maybe it was 16...), he drops a rare with a chance of unique. I've found a few that proc'd some interesting abilities, but weren't out of this world.

Also........ I couldn't even make this shit up. I log into my Wizard, Barb, and then DH. Within 5 minutes of logging into each one, I get these drops (Wizard got the 1H, Barb got the 2H, DH got the Xbow).

AfIaQg2.png

Also........ I couldn't even make this shit up. I log into my Wizard, Barb, and then DH. Within 5 minutes of logging into each one, I get these drops (Wizard got the 1H, Barb got the 2H, DH got the Xbow).

I believe you!

You know of the legendary "safety net" that they have implemented where it slowly increases the drop chance of a legendary item over time until you get a drop(with an average[their words not mine] of 2 hours between drops)? That safety net is on an independent timer on a per character basis!

What class do you guys like playing best?

Love my Barb, since I'm more of a melee guy. Just rolled a DH though and I'm having quite a bit of fun with him. Can't wait till RoS drops so I can make a female Crusader.
If you're having a hard time choosing a class, I say just try them all. With the 50% bonus, you'll level pretty damn fast and you'll get a good feel for their capabilities.

Looks like my drops have slowly become crappy again. Did Act 4 on Torment III with a couple of guys with good gear, only shit drops. Diablo didn't even drop a legendary.

It looks like I can do Master with my monk, although when the Elite's/Champions decide to all clump up together things don't go so well. There actually doesn't seem to be a huge point of playing Torment levels, magic find doesn't increase at all.

Looks like my drops have slowly become crappy again. Did Act 4 on Torment III with a couple of guys with good gear, only shit drops. Diablo didn't even drop a legendary.

It looks like I can do Master with my monk, although when the Elite's/Champions decide to all clump up together things don't go so well. There actually doesn't seem to be a huge point of playing Torment levels, magic find doesn't increase at all.

The tooltip says that sliding the Torment bar further increases the chance of legendary drops. It is definitely worth it to do Torment.

The tooltip says that sliding the Torment bar further increases the chance of legendary drops. It is definitely worth it to do Torment.

Meh. Not a single legendary was dropped, unless you count the key from the Key Warden. The items were junk too.

i have some pants that emit a horrid stench that poisons nearby enemies. maybe my characters sharts or something.

33cyhoy.png

not bad for bumping damage output by 4459.6 from just standing there.

Meh. Not a single legendary was dropped, unless you count the key from the Key Warden. The items were junk too.

Torment is worth it if you can kill at a decent pace, but if you're dying a bunch or it takes you 5 minutes to kill an elite pack then you aren't doing yourself any favors. If even Master gives you trouble then bump it down to Elite; you'll still find upgrades and legendaries but you'll have a more enjoyable experience killing things.

Getting carried through Act 4 once and complaining that gear is crap because you didn't get a legendary is a bit much though. Break down the items and use them for crafting instead. You'll probably get more items by playing at a difficulty suitable for your character since you'll kill faster, and killing faster generally means killing more enemies, which should get your more legendaries.

I believe you!

You know of the legendary "safety net" that they have implemented where it slowly increases the drop chance of a legendary item over time until you get a drop(with an average[their words not mine] of 2 hours between drops)? That safety net is on an independent timer on a per character basis!

That's ... hilarious. Those were two of my suggestions back when D3 first came out: Legendaries are bound to you and have an increasing chance of getting one until you find one.

I find that normal or hard is just way more efficient. You blow through 1 or 2 shotting everything (more drops/exp per hour). Resetting the quests gives you guaranteed legendaries too, so quantity over quality I guess.

On a side note - does anyone know how the heck to trade right now? I'm trying to give my gf some items and the trade is perpetually greyed out. Even in town when she's just standing there next to me (I'm looking at her screen...), it says she's busy. It does this for all loot, not just legendaries (which supposedly can be traded between us for 2 hours...). When I drop it on the ground, it says the item belongs to another player (even for shitty blues).

Back