Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Got my monk up paragon 7 tonight. I think my dps is somewhere around 89k right now. I've got MP1 on and I plowed through Inferno, I just got to the final act.

Got tired of finding garbage drops and spent like $15 on the AH and got some stupid good items. There are definitely people selling awesome stuff on there for just a few bucks.

Got my monk up paragon 7 tonight. I think my dps is somewhere around 89k right now. I've got MP1 on and I plowed through Inferno, I just got to the final act.

Got tired of finding garbage drops and spent like $15 on the AH and got some stupid good items. There are definitely people selling awesome stuff on there for just a few bucks.

You spent 15 bucks and only got 89k dps right now? Wow that only takes a couple hundred thousand gold to get that dps. Then again I haven't looked at the gold selling rate on the RMAH.

But get used to the bad drops. I think I have only gotten one drop I could actually use

paragon 8 monk, landed a decent enough build, now I can focus on gearing up more.

So i downloaded the PTR and hopped in real quick.

This is the 2.0 PTR which is the pre-ROS patch. I notice that there is still an AH button down there when makes me wonder if this will be out before the AH is supposed to shut down in March. Since everything new will be account bound it shouldn't matter.

Just something I noticed on the menus.

2.0 patch will most likely hit before March 2014 I would think. I'm pretty sure they said the intention was to have that patch before the year is out.

I just downloaded the PTR client, but when I load it up, I don't see any of my normal chars. Do we have to start fresh, or is there a way to copy them over?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the instructions on how to copy characters.

Last edited:
Playing around a bit with the PTR (non RoS) I have to say there are a lot of (subtle) improvements, everything seems to feel smoother and more refined.

The way loot works definitely changed a lot, I beat several mobs but the only thing that dropped from one of them were a few scraps for crafting. But I really like the change, a lot better than looking over a bunch of useless items. Rare loot seems more focused on the Elites now, I think except from one or two items everything else came from Elites. (For now there was quite a gap between the items I had and the loot that dropped, but the stats do make more sense now)

Elites have a number of new affixes as well, I like them visually but the only one so far that really made an impact regarding damage was Poison Enchanted, that one hurt a lot. Elite packs also seem to have more variation. I got a Hellhound pack led by a Fallen Grunt, or a group of Heralds of Pestilence led by a Bloodclan Warrior.

Playing with my Demon Hunter on Master, regarding monster health I would say it hovers around MP 6, but damage seems to be quite lower. (MP 3/4) Died one time to a pack of Hellhounds with the ability to create plague "circles", they really seemed to spam them and damage was surprisingly high.

I'm not really convinced yet on allocating points to your character, I felt more like adding a few numbers to a trait of your character, but it didn't do much for me. Felt a bit disappointing for some reason.

You spent 15 bucks and only got 89k dps right now? Wow that only takes a couple hundred thousand gold to get that dps. Then again I haven't looked at the gold selling rate on the RMAH.

But get used to the bad drops. I think I have only gotten one drop I could actually use

I must be doing something way wrong because my monk has a measly 80k DPS right now at lvl 60 with paragon at 15 or so. A friend just gave me 50m in gold for upgrades too. I guess I need to take another look and buy some shit.

I just had my WD get power leveled to 60 cause i didn't have one at max lvl. aside from boots and ring, that I got off my wizard. I geared from the AH to about 78K dps with about a million. stuff gets really expensive after that for me though.

I must be doing something way wrong because my monk has a measly 80k DPS right now at lvl 60 with paragon at 15 or so. A friend just gave me 50m in gold for upgrades too. I guess I need to take another look and buy some shit.

I would recommend the website d3up.com to help out with your build and see what you can do to improve. Also you can search for people on twitch who livestream D3 and you'll find some people doing gear checks and build checks. These are usually top players giving out hints.

Blizzards tactic of nerfing Barbs into the ground (perma Wrath nerf was fine) to make other classes more appealing is working like a charm on me, not a lot of build diversity when you have to spec into fury generators over everything else

I think I spent like $15 and about 5mil gold to get my monk to 121k dps. I'm only paragon 10 so far too.

It's all about your skills and that crit.

Playing around a bit with the PTR (non RoS) I have to say there are a lot of (subtle) improvements, everything seems to feel smoother and more refined.

The way loot works definitely changed a lot, I beat several mobs but the only thing that dropped from one of them were a few scraps for crafting. But I really like the change, a lot better than looking over a bunch of useless items. Rare loot seems more focused on the Elites now, I think except from one or two items everything else came from Elites. (For now there was quite a gap between the items I had and the loot that dropped, but the stats do make more sense now)

Elites have a number of new affixes as well, I like them visually but the only one so far that really made an impact regarding damage was Poison Enchanted, that one hurt a lot. Elite packs also seem to have more variation. I got a Hellhound pack led by a Fallen Grunt, or a group of Heralds of Pestilence led by a Bloodclan Warrior.

Playing with my Demon Hunter on Master, regarding monster health I would say it hovers around MP 6, but damage seems to be quite lower. (MP 3/4) Died one time to a pack of Hellhounds with the ability to create plague "circles", they really seemed to spam them and damage was surprisingly high.

I'm not really convinced yet on allocating points to your character, I felt more like adding a few numbers to a trait of your character, but it didn't do much for me. Felt a bit disappointing for some reason.

I feel the same way. The game felt a lot better. Items actually felt like they had purpose because you dont get buried in hundreds of junk yellows in minutes.

I like that they simplified crafting a bit too. Might actually be useful for a starter character now.

I like the monster levels. Playing with my 60/24 monk, the trash mobs were decent but hardly threatening. The elites on the other hand were a nice challenge without feeling cheap.

Paragon points dont really seem to matter to me right now, but seeing as you can effectively get to 800 points to spend, it might down the road.

Release Date Announced. March 25, 2014.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/118...d-on-march-25-2014-prepurchase-now-12-19-2013

Come grind paragon in vanilla! Anyone interested in key runs (I can solo MP7) or MP1 speed runs hit me up.

Worst fucking release date ever. This is likely right about when the PC version of Dark Souls 2 gets released.

I was hoping for a May release because a few of my friends are going to be pinging me to play with them and I'll have to tell them no for at least 2 months while I give Dark Souls 2, the obvious better game, my full attention.

Excited for both....but DS2 is going to be better then sex with a cupcake.

Worst fucking release date ever. This is likely right about when the PC version of Dark Souls 2 gets released.

I was hoping for a May release because a few of my friends are going to be pinging me to play with them and I'll have to tell them no for at least 2 months while I give Dark Souls 2, the obvious better game, my full attention.

Excited for both....but DS2 is going to be better then sex with a cupcake.

Sex with a cupcake.. sounds awesome!

March is a bad release window for sure... I might skip this one since my backlog is crazy and lots of better game gets released around this time (DS2 FTW).

This says alot about Diablo 3 if I'm wanting to skip it... I played Diablo 2 for 12 years and waited in front of the store for LoD :(

Sex with a cupcake.. sounds awesome!

March is a bad release window for sure... I might skip this one since my backlog is crazy and lots of better game gets released around this time (DS2 FTW).

This says alot about Diablo 3 if I'm wanting to skip it... I played Diablo 2 for 12 years and waited in front of the store for LoD :(

I'd say D3 is fine. Its just not amazing. The Expansion pack is sure to be cool as well and make the game better...but Dark Souls is just such a good game for me. Its like they reached inside my subconscious and built a game from it. Giving things I didn't even know I wanted. It slowly became my favorite game of all time.

So for me its more a testament as to how good I'm expecting dark souls 2 to be. I'd be totally cupcake fucking excited for the expansion pack if it was launching in January.

Very odd release date indeed. I'm looking forward to the expansion but if Dark Souls 2 comes around the same time...

I'm not even motivated to grind paragon levels, mainly because I don't really like the current paragon system in PTR. It feels distant for some reason. Personally I would probably have liked it more if you could put points directly into your skills/passives instead.

Still, definitely looking forward to the game. Especially Act 5, Malthael, Crusader, Adventure Mode and Nephalem Rifts.

I'm not even motivated to grind paragon levels, mainly because I don't really like the current paragon system in PTR. It feels distant for some reason. Personally I would probably have liked it more if you could put points directly into your skills/passives instead.
you have a reason grind paragon levels now because they'll be converted into points you can put into attributes post-expansion

The Paragon system is kinda uninteresting atm, in that you just get a rather mild stat boost here and there. It takes a very long time to grind out points at the later stages, so dozens of hours of grinding will just net you 1 point in one of the four subsections. However, I think that's their intention since they don't want players boosting specific areas to insane levels. Also, since its shared across all characters, low level ones will be even more overpowered right off the bat.

I've been playing a frost-based Wizard on the RoS beta and it's pretty cool (no pun intended). I can do Torment I relatively easily now, though some elite packs can be troublesome. Torment II will result in chain deaths to take out some packs, but regular mobs are still pretty much a non-issue.

The Paragon system is kinda uninteresting atm, in that you just get a rather mild stat boost here and there. It takes a very long time to grind out points at the later stages, so dozens of hours of grinding will just net you 1 point in one of the four subsections. However, I think that's their intention since they don't want players boosting specific areas to insane levels. Also, since its shared across all characters, low level ones will be even more overpowered right off the bat.

I've been playing a frost-based Wizard on the RoS beta and it's pretty cool (no pun intended). I can do Torment I relatively easily now, though some elite packs can be troublesome. Torment II will result in chain deaths to take out some packs, but regular mobs are still pretty much a non-issue.

I think the paragon design was to bring focus away from level grinding. Sure they may add up over time, but the end game is not about finding exp grinding areas (such as D2 cow runs or Bloody runs after cows were nerfed). The focus is on gear, so paragon is just a subtle bonus for long play periods. You can do fine at 0 paragon, and bad gear/builds will give you trouble even at paragon 800. For alts, its a nice way to get other chars to catch up quickly but you are not required to use them if you still like low level challenges.

Bell monk is king for adventure mode, but I like playing the multi-element mage. Blizzard + Lightning + Flame hydra + Arcane Weapon = 20% bonus damage with the new wiz passive.

On my monk, it's hard to break innas set (old one, 5spirit sweeping wind cost), but I'll have to eventually and change my build around. Other than that, I'm running with all rares and am farming Hard for blood shards. I'm sure with a good full 70 set of equipment, torment 1 should be feasable (as in legendaries are not needed to progress that far).

So for people playing the new shit--how are the new legendaries? Have you been able to build around one yet?

I think the paragon design was to bring focus away from level grinding. Sure they may add up over time, but the end game is not about finding exp grinding areas (such as D2 cow runs or Bloody runs after cows were nerfed). The focus is on gear, so paragon is just a subtle bonus for long play periods. You can do fine at 0 paragon, and bad gear/builds will give you trouble even at paragon 800. For alts, its a nice way to get other chars to catch up quickly but you are not required to use them if you still like low level challenges.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be much actual focus on getting gear at the moment. Gear and exp just kinda accumulate while doing bounties or NR. The objective-based scenarios are enjoyable enough by themselves. Exp accumulates in a predictable, visible manner. However for gear, it feels like I'm at the mercy of pure chance. Of course, with smart drops, that chance isn't as hopeless as it used to be, but it's still nevertheless unfocused.

Maybe it's just a problem with the current state of the beta. The drop rate of legendaries were nerfed significantly and there are very few (negligible) ways at improving your chances, since MF is scarce and ineffective now. So when I kill elites, rift bosses or open up bags, even at Torment II, I don't expect much beyond a garden variety of rares (though I do notice legendary crafting recipes drop a little more frequently from bags). The drop rate of actual legendaries may be as bad as D3 at launch and it can't really be improved by my own hands.

If I am to accept an unfocused method of character improvement via gear, I think the drop rate needs to be improved enough that it will make me wanna say "Ok, just one more run!" When I see the health bar of a rift boss approach empty, I wanna lick my lips in anticipation for something interesting to drop. It doesn't have to be a legendary or a direct upgrade, but maybe legendary crafting material (there are more legendary crafting mats than the equivalent Brimstones now). Right now, I'll do 3 bounties in a row and *maybe* find a legendary by a random mob in the pack, which feels pretty uncool IMO.

So for people playing the new shit--how are the new legendaries? Have you been able to build around one yet?

Nothing too game-changing on my end, but I did find a Wizard wand that did something slightly interesting with frost, which in turn made me open my eyes to a viable frost build.

Here's a good article regarding the expansion
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...uls-when-is-an-expansion-just-overpriced-dlc/

I agree with the assessment & find Blizzard to be going too far with the money grab.

That was the first thing I thought of when I heard it was $40. That is too fucking much for DLC, period. I waited patiently while they slowly fixed it only to get kicked in the teeth with this latest news. I guess I'll have to stick with the loot patch and the vanilla version. Greedy bastards.

you have a reason grind paragon levels now because they'll be converted into points you can put into attributes post-expansion

Its my understanding that these paragon points you can distribute to your character are already mapped out for you at pre determined levels.

Like , if I level up to paragon 1 I have the "option" put points into an offensive stat, then when I level up to paragon 2 , I have the "option" to put points into a defensive stat, ect.

That to me doesn't seem right at all, you should be able to distribute points any way you please, to make that character you want.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but if I am right, there is no way I'm getting this game. Fool me once Blizzard, fool me once.

while money isn't really a concern of mine 40 bucks is a bit steep. Dark souls 2 is released around the same time everyone should just buy and play that while they wait for a price drop after all its going to be a significantly better game.

Though I doubt blizzard will drop the price of the expansion pack any time soon probably like 6 months after they release it. Quite the greedy company.

I know you'll are going to chide me for piling on or joining the hive mind when I say this:

I miss old Blizzard before they joined with Bobby's boys. :(

Nothing more to say.

So as it stands, mob density is gone from vanilla and now a feature of RoS unless the removal of monster power screwed up density and they haven't sorted it.

Farming bounty bags for legendaries on normal mode at level 70 then opening them on torment (for the high tier gems) is more efficient then doing any other difficulty even though out of 80 bags you get between 3 and 6 legendaries and 20 legendary plans that you've already learned.

You seem to get more legendary plans and multiple different legendary crafting mats then actual legendary weapons/armor from killing mobs

Drop rate was gutted, though I do believe a blue might've mentioned that the drop rate isn't on point yet

It's a good thing its 3 months away, surely Blizzard will iron it out..they can't mess up again

It really begins to feel the initial excitement is vanishing over time. There are still so many issues with this expansion. Vanilla feels like it's being gutted by removing one feature after another, it really feels they want to "force" you to buy the (pretty expensive) expansion. Which leaves a kind of bitter aftertaste.

Sure, Vanilla will be obsolete when the expansion comes out but they're not handling this in a good way. It's possible they'll leave Monster Power (Or at least Master difficulty with several levels) and monster density after all, but even after several weeks I haven't seen a comment from the devs reassuring these features will stay.

I've tried to like diablo 3 I mean really tried. I've gone back to it several times and I have to force myself to play it. Everything I've read, heard, or seen just sounds like it is going farther from what made D2 so fun and enduring. Now it just seems like they're milking the franchise and going randomly in different directions to see what works. It is like they have zero direction.

I've tried to like diablo 3 I mean really tried. I've gone back to it several times and I have to force myself to play it. Everything I've read, heard, or seen just sounds like it is going farther from what made D2 so fun and enduring. Now it just seems like they're milking the franchise and going randomly in different directions to see what works. It is like they have zero direction.

Been that way since launch. It's developer arrogance and consumer ignorance coming together in a meeting of the minds.

Sums up my feelings as well.

I honestly had far more fun playing Torchlight 2 than D3.

Sums up my feelings as well.

I honestly had far more fun playing Torchlight 2 than D3.

I wish I could have liked TL2 but couldn't get passed the candyland cartoonish graphics. It looked like Easter Bunny land with monsters. Hech TL1 was darker. And no mods didn't help. POE tried to be too much old school with its skill tree's and skills. I didn't want to read a book in order to figure out how to play it. Nothing wrong with that I just didn't want to invest that much time. D3 was the better fit. I haven't played the PTR and don't think I'm gonna spend that much $$ on dlc.

I wish I could have liked TL2 but couldn't get passed the candyland cartoonish graphics. It looked like Easter Bunny land with monsters. Hech TL1 was darker. And no mods didn't help. POE tried to be too much old school with its skill tree's and skills. I didn't want to read a book in order to figure out how to play it. Nothing wrong with that I just didn't want to invest that much time. D3 was the better fit. I haven't played the PTR and don't think I'm gonna spend that much $$ on dlc.

I felt the same way with TL2 but forced myself to play through act 1 and it was all good after that. If you haven't made it to act 2 yet I would play till you get to act 2, thats when the graphics didn't bother me so much. It could be I just got used to them by that point though.

Back