Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I would think that negotiating takes skill. Why do people get upset when they have to interact with others in an online game? I could see if D3 had an offline mode, but it doesn't. Sure an AH brings some interactions, but only in the most limited way. If you're going to have to play online then you might as well get to know your community. Trading is a great way to do so as it's builds teamwork.

The difference is those games actually take some level of skill/ability. Games like D3/PoE do not.

PoE can take skill, you can dodge attacks. D3 was (apparently) purposely made so that skill wasn't a factor, you aren't supposed to be able to dodge attacks, even if it looks like you can. (you can look for the quote yourself, the truth is that it's a bs excuse for lag compensation). Hardcore in both games requires skill (though I'd argue more patience and paranoia).

D3 *could* have had a great narrative, instead they went for something that is sillier than even wow's average quest dialogue. PoE, they're working on it, but it'll never be the focus. Their flavor text is fun, but not really any unity to it. ARPG's aren't about a story. They are about killing stuff and the loot.

If a title in 2013 can't have fun/interesting monsters and fun/interesting loot, then it has failed. PoE has incredibly interesting loot, D3 does not. D3 has some great monsters, but no variety to them, PoE has a few interesting monsters but overall they are boring. Even just taking their built in mods and making some "themed" monsters, take their special events and throwing in some variety would help a huge amount. Simple stuff, script in certain sets of packs, sets of mods. PoE is working on it but the pace is sloooow. D3's pace is nonexistent (despite literally-delusional fanboys swearing its "constant").

But nooo "i'm trolling" because I have an opinion you don't like.

Been thinking about giving D3 another chance. Has the D3 loot system on PC gotten better at all since launch? Specifically for item progression in the campaign solo play from the start? I stopped playing about a month after launch since the loot system was so disappointing.

If not much improvement has been made, I'll just wait for Loot 2.0

At this point I would just wait. The loot system did get better (level 60 items are now guaranteed to roll certain stat ranges) but it's still not good. You'll still be using the AH for 99.999% of your upgrades.

That being said, even though loot drops are still "meh," with the introduction of Monster Power, you can easily beat Inferno on Monster Power 0 with just self found loot.

What I don't think you understand is that any oversimplification of anything, game or otherwise can make anything seem pointless, or in the case of games not fun. I could reduce most sports to running back and forth with a ball, fps's to killing things (or other players), computer programming to understanding syntax and commands, or the way a car works with the auto-cycle. What I wanted to illustrate to you with my (admittedly) troll, is that I could easily say what you said about any genre, or indeed any of the things I just listed.

Reducing Diablo 3 to killing things and a slot machine is a gross oversimplification, and just like reduction doesn't do any justice to any of the things I just mentioned above, so it is with the aRPG genre. If you don't like it, that's fine. Just like certain people don't like sports, coding, FPS's, or anything else. People are still playing the game and enjoying it, and your hatred of the genre in general isn't useful for discussing the topic.

Skill is irrelevant. Enjoyment is. I could argue that balancing a 2"x4" for 24 hours end on end on your head takes more skill than playing an FPS. But that doesn't make it fun. I don't particularly enjoy playing Facebook games (ala Farmville, etc) but some do. It's about fun. Sorry you're not having any, at least not with this game.

Well said. Took the thoughts right out of my head. :cool:

To take it a step further, you could summarize all video games as a race to accumulate the biggest number or series of numbers. In fact, most aspects of life can be summarized in the same way; a numbers race.

The problem with this perspective, in addition to devaluing anything that falls under its purview , is that it leads to an overall unhappy, fatalistic view on life, where the little things become increasingly difficult to appreciate.

So, what I'm trying to say big_aug, is that while I can fully understand your point of view, I am concerned for your overall well being and think you should very carefully consider the slippery slope on which you tread before it consumes your very being.

Reducing Diablo 3 to killing things and a slot machine is a gross oversimplification

It is all the game has ever been, since Diablo 1 or any ARPG for that matter. If any of you feel that its something more, then you are delusional.

Well said. Took the thoughts right out of my head. :cool:

To take it a step further, you could summarize all video games as a race to accumulate the biggest number or series of numbers. In fact, most aspects of life can be summarized in the same way; a numbers race.

The problem with this perspective, in addition to devaluing anything that falls under its purview , is that it leads to an overall unhappy, fatalistic view on life, where the little things become increasingly difficult to appreciate.

So, what I'm trying to say big_aug, is that while I can fully understand your point of view, I am concerned for your overall well being and think you should very carefully consider the slippery slope on which you tread before it consumes your very being.

Wise worddddddss for the bitter nihilist.

PoE can take skill, you can dodge attacks. D3 was (apparently) purposely made so that skill wasn't a factor, you aren't supposed to be able to dodge attacks, even if it looks like you can. (you can look for the quote yourself, the truth is that it's a bs excuse for lag compensation). Hardcore in both games requires skill (though I'd argue more patience and paranoia).

D3 *could* have had a great narrative, instead they went for something that is sillier than even wow's average quest dialogue. PoE, they're working on it, but it'll never be the focus. Their flavor text is fun, but not really any unity to it. ARPG's aren't about a story. They are about killing stuff and the loot.

If a title in 2013 can't have fun/interesting monsters and fun/interesting loot, then it has failed. PoE has incredibly interesting loot, D3 does not. D3 has some great monsters, but no variety to them, PoE has a few interesting monsters but overall they are boring. Even just taking their built in mods and making some "themed" monsters, take their special events and throwing in some variety would help a huge amount. Simple stuff, script in certain sets of packs, sets of mods. PoE is working on it but the pace is sloooow. D3's pace is nonexistent (despite literally-delusional fanboys swearing its "constant").

But nooo "i'm trolling" because I have an opinion you don't like.

Blizzard can't change much from how the original Diablo 3 shaped up (although they could add new quests and challenges to the original campaign), but they definitely seem to realize now what they need to do different for the expansion.

With Josh Mosqueira now leading the expansion, I give the Blizzard team the benefit of the doubt that they will address much of the original complaints and mistakes. With better loot, better drops, loot runs, ladders, etc, Reaper of Souls seems to hold a lot of potential. We'll have to see until the beta or finally the release how things will shape up, but for now I'm pretty excited that things will change for the better.

I find myself really looking forward to the expansion, even if it will still at least be 6 months away. Having said that, I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming updates/additions to PoE.

Last edited:
The difference is those games actually take some level of skill/ability. Games like D3/PoE do not.

CoD takes skill? Bullshit.

Actually there was a huge post by the PoE devs about how difficult a problem lag is when it comes to an aRPG and that since D3 doesn't have accuracy (you can't dodge shit), it makes it easier for them to handle lag.

D3 still has that rubber-banding nonsense, but PoE's de-synch is way worse imo.

Last edited:
Now, there certainly are reasons to remove the AH. One would be if it wasn't bringing in the cash we all thought it was. If the AH was draining Blizzard's resources, of course it makes sense to shut it down. And voila, they can even make a fake excuse to how they are catering to our demands to seem like the good guys when in reality, we never really were much of thought when it came to the removal.

This is my suspicion.

D3 and BF3 both require skill. Its hard to say which requires more as they are different in both type of game play and purpose of playing. It would be like saying Basketball requires more skill then Golf...Which seems obvious but given they are completely different it is hard to compare the level of skill required for each.

Measuring the disparity between the worst and the best and the effort require to go from bad to good would be the only way to measure something like this. And the tools required to gather that kind of information don't currently exist. So saying BF3 requires more skill then D3 is baseless....Though probably true.

Does it really matter? Whatever floats your boat and all that.

If you really want to boil it down, the only true test of skill is real gladiatorial combat, to the death. Anything else is for unskilled pansies.

At this point I would just wait. The loot system did get better (level 60 items are now guaranteed to roll certain stat ranges) but it's still not good. You'll still be using the AH for 99.999% of your upgrades.

That being said, even though loot drops are still "meh," with the introduction of Monster Power, you can easily beat Inferno on Monster Power 0 with just self found loot.

Thanks for the info. I'll take your advice and wait a while :)

I think most people are now eagerly awaiting loot 2.0.

My buddy's been telling about his console experience, and I just can't see playing the crippled PC version while i know how much better the game can be.

I was actually thinking about logging in the other day, but there isn't any point until Loot 2.0. I wonder if Blizz saw their player count plunge after that announcement.

There may be a drop in overall players, but I know some people will be grinding out a chunk of paragon and playing RMAH/AH tycoon to get a leg up on everyone when launch day hits. Though, it's a long way off at this point.

There may be a drop in overall players, but I know some people will be grinding out a chunk of paragon and playing RMAH/AH tycoon to get a leg up on everyone when launch day hits. Though, it's a long way off at this point.

This mostly. I'd imagine there are a fair amount of people pounding out as much paragon xp as they can.

I don't have the heart to though

I won't be playing till 2.0.

I still have a couple of friends who still hit me up to play with them but I don't join.

Does it really matter? Whatever floats your boat and all that.

If you really want to boil it down, the only true test of skill is real gladiatorial combat, to the death. Anything else is for unskilled pansies.

I'm not really sure why anyone bit on that; the guy calling D3 and PoE skill-less trash played both games into the ground so why take him seriously?

I figure I'll keep playing D3 until I get bored or until I get hooked on PoE since the official "release" is in a couple of weeks. I would agree that people getting the itch to "come back" would be better served by waiting for Loot 2.0; the game hasn't really changed except for Archon crafting and whatever the most recent skill tweaks were. That's what has surprised me about the surge of self-found players the past few months: the loot still sucks so why now? I guess maybe because the game has gotten easier, but man the crafting is still godawful due to complete RNG and most of the drops are too. Under the current loot model I would have stopped playing long ago without the AH.

i wont play till loot 2.0 is out and the AH is down.

then ill likely start a new character because the game would be fun to play.

I started playing again recently just because... I was having fun leveling the other classes to 60. But then it was back to inferno farming with my monk. And things really haven't changed much tbqh. The AH is still the only real way to obtain gear as you still get plenty of schizophrenic items (+str +int +health globe +something else useless). Farming just doesn't work - which is... you know... kind of the point =\

I put on a few more paragon levels and got bored pretty quickly again since nothing useful dropped. I'd wait until loot 2.0 and some positive reviews before plunking any more time or money into this game.

my 2 cents...

So do these changes come to the base game or do we have to pay $40 for the privilege of having Blizzard fix Wilson's clusterfuck of a game?

So do these changes come to the base game or do we have to pay $40 for the privilege of having Blizzard fix Wilson's clusterfuck of a game?

Loot 2.0, no more AH, skill overhaul, are changes to the base game. To get the new higher level items, new area(s?), new class, of course you have to pay.

Not sure why I didn't post this earlier, but Blizzard is most likely closing out the AH (particularly the RMAH) due to new regulatory guidance around virtual currencies (although primarily spurred by Bitcoin). It appears this may have classified Blizzard as a money transmitter, thus a Money Services Business (MSB), requiring them to register with FinCEN and potentially separately with the vast majority of the 50 states, a process that takes about 18 months and nearly $2M; not to mention requiring a large compliance department and investigatory team.

Don't be surprised if you see other MMOs with RMAHs following suit.

FinCEN said:
b. Centralized Virtual Currencies

The second type of activity involves a convertible virtual currency that has a centralized repository. The administrator of that repository will be a money transmitter to the extent that it allows transfers of value between persons or from one location to another. This conclusion applies, whether the value is denominated in a real currency or a convertible virtual currency. In addition, any exchanger that uses its access to the convertible virtual currency services provided by the administrator to accept and transmit the convertible virtual currency on behalf of others, including transfers intended to pay a third party for virtual goods and services, is also a money transmitter.

FinCEN understands that the exchanger's activities may take one of two forms. The first form involves an exchanger (acting as a "seller" of the convertible virtual currency) that accepts real currency or its equivalent from a user (the "purchaser") and transmits the value of that real currency to fund the user's convertible virtual currency account with the administrator. Under FinCEN's regulations, sending "value that substitutes for currency" to another person or to another location constitutes money transmission, unless a limitation to or exemption from the definition applies.16 This circumstance constitutes transmission to another location, namely from the user's account at one location (e.g., a user's real currency account at a bank) to the user's convertible virtual currency account with the administrator. It might be argued that the exchanger is entitled to the exemption from the definition of "money transmitter" for persons involved in the sale of goods or the provision of services. Under such an argument, one might assert that the exchanger is merely providing the service of connecting the user to the administrator and that the transmission of value is integral to this service. However, this exemption does not apply when the only services being provided are money transmission services.17

The second form involves a de facto sale of convertible virtual currency that is not completely transparent. The exchanger accepts currency or its equivalent from a user and privately credits the user with an appropriate portion of the exchanger's own convertible virtual currency held with the administrator of the repository. The exchanger then transmits that internally credited value to third parties at the user's direction. This constitutes transmission to another person, namely each third party to which transmissions are made at the user's direction. To the extent that the convertible virtual currency is generally understood as a substitute for real currencies, transmitting the convertible virtual currency at the direction and for the benefit of the user constitutes money transmission on the part of the exchanger.

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

Not sure why I didn't post this earlier, but Blizzard is most likely closing out the AH (particularly the RMAH) due to new regulatory guidance around virtual currencies (although primarily spurred by Bitcoin). It appears this may have classified Blizzard as a money transmitter, thus a Money Services Business (MSB), requiring them to register with FinCEN and potentially separately with the vast majority of the 50 states, a process that takes about 18 months and nearly $2M; not to mention requiring a large compliance department and investigatory team.

Don't be surprised if you see other MMOs with RMAHs following suit.

I wouldn't doubt it.....never know. Might be a major factor in this little decision and have nothing to do with the integrity of the game :-/

I wouldn't doubt it.....never know. Might be a major factor in this little decision and have nothing to do with the integrity of the game :-/

As someone in the industry, I'd bet it has everything to do with it. Reading it, it's hard to come to a different conclusion that even the gold AH would have required MSB registration (although I'm not a lawyer). I'm a supporter of smart regulation, but too often it's way too broad...for instance, in this guidance, it appears a bitcoin miner who then sells the bitcoins for cash, rather than using them for goods or services, would also qualify as a MSB.

Wouldn't that make every game with micro transactions subject to regulations? Which = almost every F2P game ever?

Wouldn't that make every game with micro transactions subject to regulations? Which = almost every F2P game ever?

Not all micro-transactions, just those used to purchase/transfer "convertible virtual currency", meaning it has an equivalent value in real currency or substitutes for real money.

So if you buy footprints in PoE you're fine. Basically if you're not able to convert whatever unit of virtual currency back to real dollars (meaning the Gold AH would be OK, wasn't thinking in the prior post). But in the example of the RMAH, Blizzard accepted dollars from one person, and transmitted them to another. If you buy directly from Blizzard and those funds aren't transmitted to another person, I think you would be OK, as you could make the argument the currency isn't convertible, and they're providing virtual goods/services, not just money transmission.

However, there is enough ambiguity in all this that it probably isn't worth the legal hassle to deal with.

Not sure why I didn't post this earlier, but Blizzard is most likely closing out the AH (particularly the RMAH) due to new regulatory guidance around virtual currencies (although primarily spurred by Bitcoin).

Huh...I wonder if this will effect Steam, I already feel like I'm laundering money looking at my recent transactions page on the market (all of this is selling CS:GO weapon skins if you're wondering) I don't even know what pyō is:
lmTk8ug.png

Not all micro-transactions, just those used to purchase/transfer "convertible virtual currency", meaning it has an equivalent value in real currency or substitutes for real money.

So if you buy footprints in PoE you're fine. Basically if you're not able to convert whatever unit of virtual currency back to real dollars (meaning the Gold AH would be OK, wasn't thinking in the prior post). But in the example of the RMAH, Blizzard accepted dollars from one person, and transmitted them to another. If you buy directly from Blizzard and those funds aren't transmitted to another person, I think you would be OK, as you could make the argument the currency isn't convertible, and they're providing virtual goods/services, not just money transmission.

However, there is enough ambiguity in all this that it probably isn't worth the legal hassle to deal with.

Ahhh I understand now.

Looks like they're playing around with hard caps on secondary stats

Critical Hit Chance - *You may have a maximum of +40.00% Critical Hit Chance from items.
Block Chance - *You may have a maximum of 75.00% Block Chance.
Critical Hit Damage - *You may have a maximum of +250.00% Critical Hit Damage from items.
Movement Speed - *You may have a maximum of +25.00% movement speed from items
Gold Find - *You may have a maximum of +300.00% Gold Find.
Magic Find - *This increase is diminished for rare and legendary and set items.
Magic Find - *You may have a maximum of +300.00% Magic Find.
Attack Speed - *You may have a maximum of +40.00% Attack Speed from items.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/2052...aracter-slots-stat-caps-quests-and-much-more/

That still seems like a high amount of CC
5 Base
40 Items
25(?) paragon

I'm sure it will still be tweaked a lot

UndeleteFlow_HeroLimitReachedDescription - There is a 12 hero limit for every Diablo 3 account. To restore your deleted hero, you must replace an existing hero

I don't like the critical chance limit.... I have almost 70 before wotb and other mechanical bonuses....

Me either. I'm assuming these hard caps are being put into place due to the unlimited paragon points? Although some of them specify from items...just leave it along, it's not an MMO. :p

Back