Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Very cool. So I can wipe my account as much as i can and start over self-found. Then if i have a lot more fun and am feeling it, i can then buy the expansion.

It will be interesting to see the sales number for expansion vs regular. I'm guessing a large chunk of the lilbabycat's out there are going to end up buying the expansion pack....despite their proclamation of D3 being the worst game ever made.

From what they have said about it so far It looks like I will be buying it. I have a lot of fun playing now and it seems like the changes they are making will me most of the things a dislike about the game better.

I'm sorry but are you delusional? In the 4 years I played wow, the vast majority of patches were considered "knee-jerk", either over-nerf or over-buff. Along with this, patches that would hit the PTR would be tested for bugginess, not balance; even when the overwhelming majority of players pointed out that a patch was going to completely break balance, they still pushed it through to final. Looking at raid bosses, many were (and still are) not tested at all internally, and the team simply allowed the Top 10 guilds to wipe to them and then slowly nerf / bugfix until it was possible. (See: C'thun,most of the bosses in BC, half the bosses in LK) They've later "fixed" this issue by simply allowing the top guilds to clear all content on PTR, including final raid bosses, thus getting "free" beta testing.

Continuing to D3, are you telling me that their "lot of time testing and measuring" wasn't able to discover that IAS would break itemization in less than 3 months after release? (and this is just picking one of many issues that have been discussed to death in this thread).

The truth is that Blizzard has a well documented history of NOT testing their content/update/patches.

As someone who deals extensively with raiding and the testing of it, you basically have to launch it bugged in a harder state then in an easier one for two big reasons. Most people don't give it their all when raid testing, it's just a matter of life. They'll figure out what they need to do and how it works but ensuring it dies isn't as important as know how it to kill it.

The other major thing is making it harder after launch because you fixed something that was making it too easy pisses off way more people. So as a developer you have to err on the side of too hard. It's shitty and sucks, but that's reality.

But I also believe content shouldn't be cleared in a day, although the reason for that shouldn't be artificial. Generally speaking though, game developers suck at progression, and things are either killable or not.

Not a big gamer anymore and I will still buy the expansion. Diablo 3 had me playing a lot more than I really had time for.

Yeah, it starts to feel like a bit of a waste having all that gear, yet knowing it will likely only lower in price over time. The flaws in the current system with loot are becoming a lot more apparent since all the new info we got about Loot 2.0/RoS. I don't mind legendaries which aren't usable for my class, but I hate legendaries which are just useless period, which 9 out of 10 are. (If I think of all the times I got for example a Frostburn Gauntlet)

If in Loot 2.0 all legendaries can drop at any level with matching affixes, then that would enrich the game so much. And make legendaries more rare as well as the game can select any of them in the data files instead of just the ones designated to a certain level range. I have some Monk Fist Weapons at level 20-40 which are useless at Inferno, but make the Monk look very cool.

My favorite thing to do in Diablo games has always been taking unique or obscure items and building characters around them (or at least trying to). It's why I have a Barb based around Schaefer's Hammer, a Monk that uses The Burning Axe of Sankis, and a DH that uses Frostburn Gauntlets. :) My characters aren't the best and they can't roll high MP, but that isn't the point to me. If loot 2.0 indeed allows every legendary to roll in Inferno it will be pretty spectacular I think.

That said, there are certainly some truly horrible "legendaries" out there right now - particularly the ones that can't even roll a single random property like the ilvl 63 Wizardspike, and many of the lvl 57-59 items that are basically useful for only a couple of levels before they are completely outclassed. My throw barb is currently wearing some of the best Death Watch Mantle shoulders I've seen, but they just can't really compare to anything 60+ because of the drastic jump in stats, ability to roll all res, etc. Still a cool item though with a high proc rate of the Fan of Knives skill, and Diabro even scores them at 559.

I think we'll be seeing some truly fun new builds due to the increase in Inferno-quality legendaries once loot 2.0 drops.

My favorite thing to do in Diablo games has always been taking unique or obscure items and building characters around them (or at least trying to). It's why I have a Barb based around Schaefer's Hammer, a Monk that uses The Burning Axe of Sankis, and a DH that uses Frostburn Gauntlets. :) My characters aren't the best and they can't roll high MP, but that isn't the point to me. If loot 2.0 indeed allows every legendary to roll in Inferno it will be pretty spectacular I think.

That said, there are certainly some truly horrible "legendaries" out there right now - particularly the ones that can't even roll a single random property like the ilvl 63 Wizardspike, and many of the lvl 57-59 items that are basically useful for only a couple of levels before they are completely outclassed. My throw barb is currently wearing some of the best Death Watch Mantle shoulders I've seen, but they just can't really compare to anything 60+ because of the drastic jump in stats, ability to roll all res, etc. Still a cool item though with a high proc rate of the Fan of Knives skill, and Diabro even scores them at 559.

I think we'll be seeing some truly fun new builds due to the increase in Inferno-quality legendaries once loot 2.0 drops.

God damn dude for HC those builds are the shit.

It will be interesting to see the sales number for expansion vs regular. I'm guessing a large chunk of the lilbabycat's out there are going to end up buying the expansion pack....despite their proclamation of D3 being the worst game ever made.

It's definitely not the worst game ever made.. that award goes to Big Mutha Truckers

It'd still have to improve the game 20trillionnillionkagillion times over including re-doing the craptacular story and hitting the STFU button on all the bosses for me to consider buying it

Last edited:
It's definitely not the worst game ever made.. that award goes to Big Mutha Truckers

It'd still have to improve the game 20trillionnillionkagillion times over including re-doing the craptacular story and hitting the STFU button on all the bosses for me to consider buying it

So say many people but I've seen you people at the boycott L4D2 because companies should give away free games rallies and look how that turned out.

So say many people but I've seen you people at the boycott L4D2 because companies should give away free games rallies and look how that turned out.

I don't know about that I never played any of the L4D games or heard about what happened all I know is I'll be watching Let's Plays/reading forum tears as a way of deciding on games, no more pre-ordering/looking at (often skewed) reviews for me..

I don't know about that I never played any of the L4D games or heard about what happened all I know is I'll be watching Let's Plays/reading forum tears as a way of deciding on games, no more pre-ordering/looking at (often skewed) reviews for me..

Can't argue with that. Pre-Ordering should only be done when you get a bonus and its a game you know you are going to like.

God damn dude for HC those builds are the shit.

Thanks! The throw barb was supposed to be a fire-based character using The Burning Axe of Sankis with Volcanic Eruption and Earthquake, but for whatever reason I just can't get into WW builds and it was rather slow. Then I tried the Backlash build on the Monk using the Sankis, and with Essence Burn the screen basically just explodes in the lower MPs; really crazy fun! I had the Cindercoat + Fire Walkers combo going (for flavor, lol), but the Nats boots ended up being too awesome to pass up and the Fire Walkers had to go. For a OWE Monk Cindercoat can be truly awesome and I never really noticed that until recently.

Currently working on leveling up my second attempt at a Hand of Ytar Monk; I got the first one killed when I deviated from the plan and tried a completely different gear set. I'll either be using an Inna's Reach or a Vigilance.

After that I'll probably try to get a WD to 60 in HC, since my last one died at 55 and I haven't retried since.

From NeoGAF on the console version:

z4IOHDO.jpg

These were self found by the time the guy hit paragon 4, just to give some sense of the difference in item droprate, stat allocation and quality.

But the AH didn't affect these decisions at all on the PC version.

Just getting back into Diablo3... with headphones on you really appreciate how well done the audio is in this game. :)

Just getting back into Diablo3... with headphones on you really appreciate how well done the audio is in this game. :)

The soundtrack is the best thing about the game. I love the music for the spider queen fight the best. I wish that track was on the soundtrack.

Does anyone want to play sometime? I'd like to get back into the game

That screenshot is cool, guy has single digit hours of time played while I have over 1700, still have yet to find anything worth over 25 million

More importantly, is loot 2.0 or some variant already active on the console version? That screenshot shows the same legendary with vastly different stats (Izzuccob). Also the Buriza was a mid level crossbow that would never roll that high before.

That screenshot is cool, guy has single digit hours of time played while I have over 1700, still have yet to find anything worth over 25 million

Consider yourself lucky. I've never been able to sell anything over 10 million with about the same amount of time as you, and only have found a handful (literally) of items I could even sell for over 1 million. I'm going to give the console version a try, but I've stopped playing the PC version.

One of my friends has made a comment that it's like this on the console not because the lack of an AH, but because console players would never accept such poor returns on loot.

Consider yourself lucky. I've never been able to sell anything over 10 million with about the same amount of time as you, and only have found a handful (literally) of items I could even sell for over 1 million. I'm going to give the console version a try, but I've stopped playing the PC version.

One of my friends has made a comment that it's like this on the console not because the lack of an AH, but because console players would never accept such poor returns on loot.

I've found a handful of billion + items with my 1600 hours of gameplay.

Its silly to say that console players would never accept such poor loot as if console players are really that different than PC players.

Blizzard fucked up the loot. They have been working on 'fixing it'. Console version is an adaptation of that fix likely taken to the extremes due to lack of auction house and wanting to make players happy....which helps sales. They really want that console dollar for this and their next MMO.

But rarity is a good thing for game longevity. Getting the correct balance is an art form. Their first painting didn't have enough their second likely has too much hopefully their third loot 2.0 has the right amount.

as for the AH being the direct cause of item rarity that is debateable, unlikely that anyone will know for sure so debating it does become pointless. I think the AH would have been utilized about the same regardless....so I'm inclined to think the games piss poor item design wasn't the result of influence from the AH but rather good old fashion bad game design...D3's development was riddled with issues the entire time.

but who knows.

I've found a handful of billion + items with my 1600 hours of gameplay.

Its silly to say that console players would never accept such poor loot as if console players are really that different than PC players.

Blizzard fucked up the loot. They have been working on 'fixing it'. Console version is an adaptation of that fix likely taken to the extremes due to lack of auction house and wanting to make players happy....which helps sales. They really want that console dollar for this and their next MMO.

But rarity is a good thing for game longevity. Getting the correct balance is an art form. Their first painting didn't have enough their second likely has too much hopefully their third loot 2.0 has the right amount.

as for the AH being the direct cause of item rarity that is debateable, unlikely that anyone will know for sure so debating it does become pointless. I think the AH would have been utilized about the same regardless....so I'm inclined to think the games piss poor item design wasn't the result of influence from the AH but rather good old fashion bad game design...D3's development was riddled with issues the entire time.

but who knows.

Well, that's variance for you. Some people get those billion+ gold drops, and I know other people who've had worse luck than me with similar playtime. I've only seen a trifecta on an amulet/ring/gloves twice (and that includes over 100 million gold spent crafting), and neither was what I'd call a quality item (no resist, main stat, nor vitality).

I'd agree rarity increases longevity, but there comes a time when enough is enough. Few people like their time wasted on worthless pursuits. My highest self-found gear set (which I've constantly kept updating) is only about 44k dps unbuffed. I'm not asking for a Mempo to drop that has critical here. But I'm sick of gear that has completely the wrong stats. And I don't mean +health globe. I'm talking about Inna's that rolls with lowest possible dex (or very near it), and every varying stat to be int/str. It wouldn't have even been so bad if Blizzard just made it so that every stat was useful, and I'm not talking about +armor/magic resist. I mean that str would add to dps also for monks for melee, and int would add to skills.

And the reason I do agree with my friend on this point is that console games in my opinion tend to have a lower retention rate. How many 5+ year old PC games have a still active community versus console games? How long would Diablo 3 last on the console if it's drop rate and quality was similar to the PC, and without an AH to boot?

I'm not a person who hates the AH. I actually liked the idea. But the game should have treated the AH as an addendum rather than a necessity. If people want to get ungodly stats under 100 hours of game time, they could. And if people wanted to play self made runs, they could also, and still see quality drops from time to time. So what if the AH farmers stopped playing after 3 weeks? It's not like a person with a disposable income can't do the same on todays game, regardless of the drop system. But the latter just isn't possible.

Honestly, the console version seems to be the better version of the game.

Honestly, the console version seems to be the better version of the game.

Loot-wise, since they already have loot 2.0, I would agree. Gameplay-wise, after watching a video of people playing it, playing with a controller looks cumbersome as hell at least compared to KB+mouse. And don't even get me started on watching someone else mess around in menus and characters screens while everyone else waits around; that gets old about 5 seconds after it happens the first time.

I imagine going from the PC version to the console version would be a lot like loading up a FPS on console after playing the PC version...

Loot-wise, since they already have loot 2.0, I would agree. Gameplay-wise, after watching a video of people playing it, playing with a controller looks cumbersome as hell at least compared to KB+mouse. And don't even get me started on watching someone else mess around in menus and characters screens while everyone else waits around; that gets old about 5 seconds after it happens the first time.

I imagine going from the PC version to the console version would be a lot like loading up a FPS on console after playing the PC version...

Maybe Blizzard messed the gameplay up, I don't know, as I haven't tried it yet. I'll find out Tuesday. While I can see why you said it might be loading up an FPS on the console, honestly, I think that a game like Diablo could translate well to the controls, if done right. Now what is right, I'm not sure. But ARPGs don't require near the precision of an FPS. If it's not done right yet on consoles, I think eventually it will be. After all, look at the original FPSs on the PC. They themselves took some time to mature before the gameplay became what we know of it today.

The game sounds are rather unremarkable and pretty standard sounding until you put headphones on at which point they blow you away. I was quite surprised.

Early console reviews are saying the PS3 / XBox versions are the definitive Diablo 3. Should be interesting to see how much of that experience translates in Reaper of Souls.

Don't the console versions run at 30 fps with worse graphics though? That's what it looked like from some previews a couple months ago.

Don't the console versions run at 30 fps with worse graphics though? That's what it looked like from some previews a couple months ago.

Graphic are definitely worse, loot appears to be much better. Some reviews love the direct character control and dodging on the console, but also note it's hard to target specific mobs.

Keep dreaming.

playing diablo on consoles is like playing racing games with keyboard.. uhhgh fuck that :( like they didnt get enough money from pc sales greedy bastards....

And this is why I hesitate so much on getting back into Diablo 3.

What's the focus in this game? Gameplay? Narrative? Characters? Graphics? Audio? NOPE TEH LOOTZ? YEP!

playing diablo on consoles is like playing racing games with keyboard.. uhhgh fuck that :( like they didnt get enough money from pc sales greedy bastards....

Nothing wrong with them releasing it for consoles. I'd expect to see it on the new consoles next year. If the loot from the picture on the last page is an indicator then the console version will be the one to get for first time D3 players as the game is strictly about getting loot and upgrading. Story, graphics, blah, blah, blah are extras.

Too bad the PC version is so gimped in retrospect. :(

Nothing wrong with them releasing it for consoles. I'd expect to see it on the new consoles next year. If the loot from the picture on the last page is an indicator then the console version will be the one to get for first time D3 players as the game is strictly about getting loot and upgrading. Story, graphics, blah, blah, blah are extras.

Too bad the PC version is so gimped in retrospect. :(

PC version is designed to funnel items through the cash auction house. To that end, it succeeds :)

My Hand of Ytar Monk kinda fizzled out when I found a lack of -LTK gear on the HC AH, so I decided to try a thorns Monk using Mantra of Retribution and thorns gear with high regen/mitigation/LPSS...horrible. Mantra of Retribution has got to be the worst skill in the game.

Then I found a 813 DPS Won Khim Lau on the AH with 32 LPSS, 24% lightning damage, and an open socket for only 3M and now I'm running the "Speedpalm" build with an emphasis on LPSS. Not terribly original but it's cool having an elite blow up and take the rest of the pack with it.

In other news, it's console release day and Josh Mosqueira has finally nailed down the loot 2.0 time frame for us:

Release day!!! Welcome to Hell console players... stay a while and button mash. Fret not PC loyalists, lots of surprises inbound... soon.

I don't think anyone really expects it to drop before December at the earliest, but man it would be awesome if they released it alongside (or close to) the console version.

Back