Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Activision Blizzard will string us out like this for as long as it works...

People will roll out in droves for any new game they put out. The WOW pricing structure will keep them in cash for a long time.

People will roll out in droves for any new game they put out. The WOW pricing structure will keep them in cash for a long time.

Diablo 3 was the first major dent in Blizzards reputational armor. They literally went from invincible to vulnerable now. In my opinion as a company they were flawless from Warcraft 2 all the way up through World of Warcraft, and it was that string of releases that gave them the reputation they earned. D3 was kind of a reality check for all fans including myself that the company isn't what it used to be.

Here's the deal. Yes, Blizzard makes a few dimes off the RMAH. But are they making money from the base game? No. So why would you expect them to pump money into making the base game better?

Old Blizzard would have because they want their franchises to last for 10 years or more. The developers actually loved playing games and game development was a way to for an artist to get paid for making art. Thus they wanted to be the very best they could be at what they did. In a video Yoshi linked they discussed actually scrapping a game after being embarrassed at a trade show by better games from competitors.

New Blizzard wouldn't give a darn if they had to develop spreadsheets for banks if it made them money. Whatever they can hype up to sell for a quick profit with no regards for the fans. That's why they can release a game and hype up the pvp aspect of it; then not deliver the feature. They do have a leg to stand on as they allowed everyone a refund.

They don't feel as if they owe you anything. They are out to make those quick Activision bucks even if it means killing a franchise or studio. Whatever makes money for the least amount of effort. All about the Benjamins!

I am still trying to figure out what people hate about this game.

Running the same content over and over? Yep... that was what D2 was
Gear Grind? Yep... D2
Hostile Button? Yep... D2

They fixed the annoying parts of D2 that for some reason people think are fun. Re rolling your character to try something different? No Thanks. Screw up your build and have to start over? No thanks.

There is zero difference in this game and D2. Just butthurt over the AH and blizzard trying to make money.

Call me dense. I'm still having fun with this game. If the CM/WW wiz is nerfed again, I won't be such a happy camper.

Gear Grind? Yep... D2

They fixed the annoying parts of D2 that for some reason people think are fun. Re rolling your character to try something different? No Thanks. Screw up your build and have to start over? No thanks.

There is zero difference in this game and D2. Just butthurt over the AH and blizzard trying to make money.

They're going to need to incorporate ladder/non-ladder eventually if they want to truly address item inflation or game balance for that matter :p

Let the non-Ladder players continue using legacy items, and let a new season begin with rebalanced items muahaha. Probably have the first PvP season start with a refreshed ladder and economy as well. This lets them balance the game around balanced items.

You didn't see Blizz try to balance the game around 1.08 items or ridiculous 5% frw scs did you? Nope, they were phased out to the non-ladder, where people with that gear are free to enjoy their legacy equipment :p

Gear Grind? Yep... D2

I think the most foolish choice they made was to get rid of rerolling your character. That is what kept people coming back for more and more. There is a reason people roll a million alts in MMORPGs. It keeps people coming back for more and keeps you hooked.

I guarantee if you had to reroll to change skillsets, they would have a lot more players right now.

Gear Grind? Yep... D2

There is no difference between D2 and D3? I'll give you a passing grade, just for participating.

Gear Grind? Yep... D2

Well for many when Blizzard showed the PvP arenas at Blizzcon and said this will be in Diablo 3 at or soon after launch, people got excited and preordered the game. When everyone learned that PvP was going to be delayed disappointment was widespread in the community but nobody panicked as they knew from past experience that it just meant it was going to be epic!

Then we waited for a month or more for the first big patch and got a RMAH instead of PvP. Kinda peeved a lot of people off but everyone understood that you have to make money to foot the bills. Then 3 more months... Nothing. More months... 1.05 made the PVE tolerable but we still wanted PvP.

Now comes the "we might need to scrap the whole thing" blog post. Blizzard time is infinite and we persevered waiting for PvP as it's a huge deal to many. Soon it will be the 1 yr anniversary of the launch of Diablo 3. And a few months before said event we get told that basically they don't have a clue what to do add "fun and meaningful" PvP to the game.

See why some people might be a bit let down? Especially those of us that are tired of running Act 3. Even ZillianOP stopped streaming D3 for quite a few hours to stream 'The Binding of Isaac" because he was sick of Act 3 speed runs. Of course some people love running Act 3 over and over and wouldn't want to do anything else for the rest of their lives. Not going to knock them as there is fun to get garnered from getting upgrades and killing that health linked ogre 1/44 of a second faster than you did last time.

But for the rest of us we want to take the gear we got from playing for a year and beat the hell out of others in an arena like what you could play hands on at Blizzcon some years ago. :)

Are there actually any fans of the game here, still playing the game or just whiners and haters ?
Because it sounds like a senior citizen's home in here with all the complaining. How about you all go to the Path of Exile forum topic and masturbate yourselves on how great the game is.

Nothing wrong with comparing two games in the same genre. I dropped the game for about a month until 1.0.3 was released, and then I came back and played until a few weeks ago. Played softcore and hardcore, a bunch of 60's, etc.

As someone who played D2 for years, I want/wanted D3 to succeed, but unfortunately it's become more of a holdover until PoE goes open beta. It's possible to be a fan and a whiner/hater for D3 I think, because on some levels I really like the game and think a few tweaks could make it truly great...but then I think about it some more and find that it's fundamentally flawed and that no amount of tweaking will make it truly great.

It does some things so right and others so sooo wrong, it's just frustrating as a longtime fan of the series and ARPG genre.

Especially those of us that are tired of running Act 3.

I get your points about PvP, but this statement is foolish. What exactly did you do in D2?

Oh yeah you ran Chaos and Baal runs over and over. It is the same concept.

I think the most foolish choice they made was to get rid of rerolling your character.

Actually I think it was the best choice they made, rerolling was just plain annoying and would push me AWAY from the game. I started and stopped D2 nurmous times over the last decade and each time I would built the toons, but once it was to a point I needed to re-roll I would start to fade away again.

I feel like the game needs 3 expansions worth of things to do, to make this game feel right. It feels lacking in comparison to D2 regardless of how many actual monsters / levels / different lands there are currently.

I know there will be dozens of features released over the years for the game, the problem is i want them now.

I feel like there needs to be more drive to get players to play together.

I think the biggest problem however, is they over simplified the game too much in terms of character builds, and then they accidentally do a 360 and make D3's economy 10x more difficult to figure out than D2's. And D2's was not easy to figure out.

I used to think a game where infinite rare combinations would be amazing, the problem is it has resulted in an extremely complex variety of potential gear which makes it equaly complex to figure out the cost.

What would make me come back and play now? If i could have 50 items on the AH at any given time, and i can access the AH directly and immediately from in-game.

Somehow D3 doesn't grip me as much as D2 did at the time. I can't quite figure out whether to attribute this to my age, other games out at the moment, or some other combination of causes.

Point is, I personally (and some people in my close vicinity) lost interest in the game a month after release.

I get your points about PvP, but this statement is foolish. What exactly did you do in D2?

Oh yeah you ran Chaos and Baal runs over and over. It is the same concept. .

Well for many people being forced to run the same zone in one instance to level is is kinda bad design. I could see if you're going to get an item off a boss. In D3 bosses drop the same loot that destroying a book drops.

In D2 it made sense to run the same instance over and over because those bosses dropped what you wanted. You had great incentive to do so as you knew where the money item was however small the chance was to get it. You were addicted to killing the boss in anticipation of getting loot.

In D3 who gives a darn what you kill as long as you can kill as many mobs as fast as possible in Act 3. Bosses are avoided because the rooms they are in are devoid of piles of hay, insignificant mobs, jars to break, etc that have the same chance to give you loot as the boss. Why spend 5 minutes fighting Diablo when you could have wiped out a zone in that time and had hundreds of chances to get loot instead of one opportunity from a boss?

See why my statement isn't so foolish now? :)

Just found this item...

dvu.png

Can't figure out how much to price it at though...not much comparable.

Just found this item...

dvu.png

OMG that's pretty sick there. I don't price things but short of getting attack speed, crit chance and crit damage on an item it's crazy good. :)

OMG that's pretty sick there. I don't price things but short of getting attack speed, crit chance and crit damage on an item it's crazy good. :)

Yeah I've been having pretty good drops this past 2 weeks...(see my previous post), but I think I am just going to put it up without a buyout and see what it goes up to.

Just found this item...

dvu.png

Honestly I'd wait until 1.0.7 to put that up. So few people are selling and buying right now. Or at least keep a high minimum bid at least 100 million.

Haha wow...and now I just found this...

gr1SO.png

I am on a roll. I am keeping the Ice climbers though, since I am rolling with the 5 piece IK set right now. I want to eventually change my armor to Ice climbers, witching hour, etc...so that I can get over that hump. I am almost to the max of what I can do with an IK set I think.

What exactly did you do in D2?

Oh yeah you ran Chaos and Baal runs over and over.

Running Baal and Chaos to level were definitely the most played modes in D2.

What is missing or different in D3 I would say is running high ilvl areas, superuniques, superchests or bosses for specific items. Every Act in Diablo 2 had these things. The only similarity in D3 I can think of is running Act 2 normal for cain's ring. Everyone just does the Alkaizer run because its the best for EXP and loot with no regards to specific items. There isn't any incentive to run anything in acts 1, 2 or 4 because it's always going to be faster and better for everything to do the same Act 3 run. And it looks like Blizzard's solution will be to just nerf Act 3 instead of make other acts more interesting and viable.

Since the whiners and haters in this topic outwheigh the fans of the game actually playing by a hefty margin, I'm not coming back to this topic. It's just to see so many people wasting time complaining about the most absurd reasons why the game is "bad" (you liked rerolling a character in D2 ? WTF ?!). I was hoping most of the childish behavior was at the battle.net forum but it seems to be manifesting here too.

Since the whiners and haters in this topic outwheigh the fans of the game actually playing by a hefty margin, I'm not coming back to this topic. It's just to see so many people wasting time complaining about the most absurd reasons why the game is "bad" (you liked rerolling a character in D2 ? WTF ?!). I was hoping most of the childish behavior was at the battle.net forum but it seems to be manifesting here too.

gotta be careful posting about whining. it can quickly look like whining about whining

Sorry man. :( Please tell us what we can do to win you back to this topic: you've been one of the most active and helpful posters up to this point!

You are describing virtually every Blizzard game. Whiners are apart of any community , Blizzard's whiners are more pronounced because Blizzard's games are some of the most popular on the planet.

So to quit reading a thread/participating because of some differences of opinions = whining.

Since the whiners and haters in this topic outwheigh the fans of the game actually playing by a hefty margin

I'd wager that most people who bother to post are still playing the game. This thread is nothing like the bnet forums.

i do, anyway.

Running Baal and Chaos to level were definitely the most played modes in D2.

What is missing or different in D3 I would say is running high ilvl areas, superuniques, superchests or bosses for specific items. Every Act in Diablo 2 had these things. The only similarity in D3 I can think of is running Act 2 normal for cain's ring. Everyone just does the Alkaizer run because its the best for EXP and loot with no regards to specific items. There isn't any incentive to run anything in acts 1, 2 or 4 because it's always going to be faster and better for everything to do the same Act 3 run. And it looks like Blizzard's solution will be to just nerf Act 3 instead of make other acts more interesting and viable.

Agreed.

Several other things which were simplified from D2 to D3 would also be nice, like socket variety and charms.

Sorry I couldn't resist

I think the biggest problem however, is they over simplified the game too much in terms of character builds, and then they accidentally do a 360 and make D3's economy 10x more difficult to figure out than D2's. And D2's was not easy to figure out.

dilbert5.GIF

Got to love it when a friend that just hit 60 finds a Unity with IAS and sells it for 355 million. He also finds a double socket Manticore with 100% Crit Dmg in the same run that he was kind enough to hand my way. Life's a beach!

I've put in almost 200 hours from release to paragon 7 and the best drop I've ever got was a legendary neck with so-so stats which I sold for about 2 million. The rest, crap. :(

I've put in almost 200 hours from release to paragon 7 and the best drop I've ever got was a legendary neck with so-so stats which I sold for about 2 million. The rest, crap. :(

Stick around to Paragon 25. Everyone says that is the point that you start seeing enough drops to get something decent more often.

Stick around to Paragon 25. Everyone says that is the point that you start seeing enough drops to get something decent more often.

you shouldn't joke about that. there are superstitious people with such poor grasp on statistics that they might actually believe you.

These last 29 levels are taking me months. Maybe because I don't ever log in :(

To salt the wound:

Paragon 78 is the half way point.
Paragon 91 is when you're 75% done.

I'm roughly 82% of my way done with paragon leveling, at level 94.

To salt the wound:

This is depressing, those milestones are both miles away for me.

To salt the wound:

They don't call it a grind for nothing...I like it though. I'll be playing this game on and off for years so I am in no rush to get to 100. Plus when the expansion pack comes out and they up the Max level to 70 or whatever I'll be getting double exp...those level 100's will only be getting single.

Level 54 Wizard
Level 47 Monk
Level 18 Barb

combined exp probably isn't even half way.

Back