Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

My new wizard is only 54, but I've been gear shopping. It's amazing what you can find for cheap when you don't need to put a whole set together at once.

I've spent about 2.5m so far and I've got some pretty good pieces in there. Only missing rings/ammy now which are always expensive :mad:

Crazy how cheap stuff is now. I bought an 800+ DPS, ~150 vit, 9% IAS, open socket sword for 39k last night. That would have been like 20m a couple weeks ago.

The market is literally collapsing due to the patch. I don't mind quite honestly. More players who can move forward means more good gear found. More good gear equals more competition, hence lowering prices for all.

The only bad news is if you were selling on the RMAH. My best suggestion would be that if you have a lot of gold now, or have items which still sell for a lot, sell them now while you can make any profit, and buy back later for dirt cheap.

My only problem is mainly the trade channel now where people still think a socketed ring has a value of 10 million, and their 700 dps weapon with a socket should be worth 500 million.

I probably overpaid for an ammy, not the original one I wanted either
9%ias, 7.5% crit, 169 int and some useless stat. Bumped my dps by about 6-8k and now I'm at 71k with sparkflint and blood magic weapon (no glass cannon). The one I was hoping for had 1.5% less crit but 80 more int.

Looks like IAS is a bigger upgrade with my current load out. I'm looking for lacurni bracers with mf and int. the IAS should make up for dropping 6% crit, and the movement speed + mf should be great for farming and exp grinding.

9%ias, 7.5% crit, 169 int and some useless stat. Bumped my dps by about 6-8k and now I'm at 71k with sparkflint and blood magic weapon (no glass cannon). The one I was hoping for had 1.5% less crit but 80 more int.

Looks like IAS is a bigger upgrade with my current load out. I'm looking for lacurni bracers with mf and int. the IAS should make up for dropping 6% crit, and the movement speed + mf should be great for farming and exp grinding.

not a bad amulet, I over paid for all of my gear because I want it now and just click buy out.

I have no attack speed at 1.21 right now, but I use meteor so its not a big deal.

The market is literally collapsing due to the patch. I don't mind quite honestly. More players who can move forward means more good gear found. More good gear equals more competition, hence lowering prices for all.

The only bad news is if you were selling on the RMAH. My best suggestion would be that if you have a lot of gold now, or have items which still sell for a lot, sell them now while you can make any profit, and buy back later for dirt cheap.

My only problem is mainly the trade channel now where people still think a socketed ring has a value of 10 million, and their 700 dps weapon with a socket should be worth 500 million.

I could care less about this, actually I encourage the collapse. Make more epic loot available to more people as far as I'm concerned. Its PvE, like who cares. And even if/when PvP comes out it won't be a problem since it matches you up against win/loss ratio and not a gear comparison directly, albeit indirectly i suppose.

IAS has a huge impact on your DPS, but it has no benefit in increasing skill damage, correct? (because skill damage is % weapon damage, not % dps)

IAS has a huge impact on your DPS, but it has no benefit in increasing skill damage, correct? (because skill damage is % weapon damage, not % dps)

Most of the time yes, skill damage is unaffected. Some damage damage over time abilities such as venom hydra normalize damage and is based on the final "damage" number on your character screen, so damage will be directly affected by IAS.

Ive seen conflicting results on beam (disenigrate or beam in archon) whether or not it actually ticks faster, or if that is also normalized, but it hardly makes a difference with my build.

Most of the time it just makes your attacks faster, which is good for loh, and crit proc abilities(although crit chance is more important if you rely on crit abilities), and other on attack procs. For instance, paralysis gives a chance to stun on lightning hits, so IAS makes more use of that skill.

My glass cannon build is pretty simple in its attacks, so it doesn't matter as much for me if I kill with many small attacks, or less frequent but more powerfull attacks. I just care about killing things faster before they reach me.

As the other poster said, dps is damage per second, so really youre just doing damage faster because you attack faster, the damage per hit is not increased from ias. This is the reason I dont like dps calculations in this game because it makes it confusing. Usually you dont show attack speed added into the damage in most arpg games because its not really true "damage". Its just showing that you do more damage because technically you attack faster. But that may or may actually help you depending on what type of build or class you are.

As the other poster said, dps is damage per second, so really youre just doing damage faster because you attack faster, the damage per hit is not increased from ias. This is the reason I dont like dps calculations in this game because it makes it confusing. Usually you dont show attack speed added into the damage in most arpg games because its not really true "damage". Its just showing that you do more damage because technically you attack faster.

Yea that's the main thing i don't like about the gear in this game... the front and center "DPS" number. I'd like the damage range to appear there, and dps smaller and off to the side.

If they're going to make some moves use the DPS # and others use your weapon damage, they really need to make more accurate tooltips.

Not collapsing, it's just good stuff from before patch is crap and epic gear that drops after patch will still sell. Buddy of mine just sold that litany set ring for 150.00.

Not collapsing, it's just good stuff from before patch is crap and epic gear that drops after patch will still sell. Buddy of mine just sold that litany set ring for 150.00.

It is a little bit. Best way to gauge that is look at the commodities. Essences, tomes, gems, brims have fallen through the floor so to speak. Which if you're the gambling risk taker type, now would be the time to invest in those.

Yea that's the main thing i don't like about the gear in this game... the front and center "DPS" number. I'd like the damage range to appear there, and dps smaller and off to the side.

If they're going to make some moves use the DPS # and others use your weapon damage, they really need to make more accurate tooltips.

I'm not even sure where I can see my "swing damage" number. For tooltips they should give the option of showing percent (with accurate "weapon damage" or "damage per second") or actual calculated numbers.

I'd also like to see official spell coefficients somewhere in game(though it's too much for a single tooltip)

Yeah I don't think there's a number for weapon damage. You just have to divide the number by your weapon speed and you should be good. There's still the problem of averaging in normal damage and crit damage though. That's where spreadsheets come in handy.

I think last night they were around 700 igg. Give or take a little, I can't remember the exact numbers

Holy shit that is low! So most people are vendoring blues now? Last i farmed inferno, they were going for 1800 a pop, which mean that most blue gear was denched for selling the essences.

I'm not even sure where I can see my "swing damage" number. For tooltips they should give the option of showing percent (with accurate "weapon damage" or "damage per second") or actual calculated numbers.

I'd also like to see official spell coefficients somewhere in game(though it's too much for a single tooltip)

Actual calculated damage in tooltips would be absolutely amazing.

I just realized I was looking at the exact same ammy not long ago. I have a separate chart of "what if" gear and I had the same stats plugged in. It's a great ammy and it seemed worthwhile if you had the gold for it. I also like going crit/ias as instead of crit/crit damage (besides on the weapon of course). My build relies pretty heavily on crits per second when I'm not busting through everything with Archon. Just got an off-hand that boosted my dps to 71k as well. Can't wait to see how quickly elites will melt with it.

Holy shit that is low! So most people are vendoring blues now? Last i farmed inferno, they were going for 1800 a pop, which mean that most blue gear was denched for selling the essences.

Actual calculated damage in tooltips would be absolutely amazing.

I stopped picking up blues looong time ago. It seems like a big time waste. Heck I only pick up ilvl61+, and my inventory fills up fast enough as it is. People seem to get hung up this idea of leaving stuff like that behind, but really farming is more of a rate than it is about the quantity of total items you can gather.

To really test this for each player, you need to pick a set amount of time, say 30min. Run whatever you want for that time and see which way you come out ahead. Its just my preference but I like going fast :)

If you want more gold, I suggest you pick up the i62+ blues, they can sell for around 2000+. If you're an AH player then by all means stop picking any item below i62. Honestly, I think all items below i62 are crap. Hell most i62 items are crap. Ctrl + hover will save you time.

I guess I need to figure out how to play a wizard, because I can't even pass Act 2 and have stats better than yours in every category except magic find (don't really care as my monk is geared for mf) and armor (~5800). Granted, I'm sharing gear with my witch doctor who can easily farm acts 3 & 4 now. Wizard is just the one class I'm clueless about at the moment. I just want to beat the game with the wizard for the achievement.

How much All Resist and LOH do you have? If you have 5800 Armor after Energy Armor then that's fairly low if you plan on tanking. I can't imagine you'd have trouble with Act 2 if you have over 1200 All Resists after EA.

Last edited:
How much All Resist and LOH do you have? If you have 5800 Armor after Energy Armor then that's fairly low if you plan on tanking. I can't imagine you'd have trouble with Act 2 if you have over 1200 All Resists after EA.

That's before energy armor and with Glass Canon. AR with Glass Canon is about 558, without, not sure (add 10% so around 600 something). LOH varies from 100-900, depending if I want to lose 10k dps (typically 50k dps 42k when I switch gear for LoH), and I have a base life regen of 1100 per second.

Like I said, my witch doctor with this gear has absolutely no problem, so I think it's mainly trying to figure a solid build (as I don't really play a wizard).

Though, in related news about a lot of undergeared players coming up, yesterday I was playing Act 2. 2 monks and a barb, and my wizard ended up acting the tank...

I'm still looking for Lacuni Bracers, but sitting at 76k for now is very nice for Act 3 runs. I blow through most mobs, and only have a bit of trouble with certain combos, mostly reflect damage.

Doing 3 levels of the keep + the first two areas is very quick now. Many times I clear a level staying in archon the entire time. Clear takes about 45 minutes and fills up half my inventory with 61+ items. I think that comes out to around 12mil exp/hour.

I'm aiming for about 100 MF on me and my follower. First is getting those MF Lacuni bracers (comes with IAS on bracer and 12% movement speed), then I can shop around for Boots,Belt, and shoulders for good MF ones. Even if I drop a few int, those are the non-dps slots, so it shouldn't hurt my DPS to bad or cost me too much.

That's before energy armor and with Glass Canon. AR with Glass Canon is about 558, without, not sure (add 10% so around 600 something). LOH varies from 100-900, depending if I want to lose 10k dps (typically 50k dps 42k when I switch gear for LoH), and I have a base life regen of 1100 per second.

Like I said, my witch doctor with this gear has absolutely no problem, so I think it's mainly trying to figure a solid build (as I don't really play a wizard).

Though, in related news about a lot of undergeared players coming up, yesterday I was playing Act 2. 2 monks and a barb, and my wizard ended up acting the tank...

OK so it's a bit different then. After EA I have 9.5k Armor and 1100-1200 All Resists with 900 LOH. Easy face-tanking. You don't need anything like that if you are playing a ranged DPS build though.

I have no idea what build I'm going to use on my HC Wizard. I haven't played a Wizard since June. I've been using Blizzard/Arcane Hydra, but I dunno about kiting without MS boots. I logged on my SC Wizard last night to test it out in Act 1, and he felt pretty squishy even with 800AR and ~50k life. I never died or got red screened, but dang man.

Damn you Barb for spoiling me!

Any suggestions?

I think the "standard" piericing orb/hydra/blizzard build is one the safest out there. It also doesn't really rely on some special gear conditions to be strong (like CM builds do) and its the only build where I felt comfortable gear swapping into MF before elite kills.

I think the "standard" piericing orb/hydra/blizzard build is one the safest out there. It also doesn't really rely on some special gear conditions to be strong (like CM builds do) and its the only build where I felt comfortable gear swapping into MF before elite kills.

Yea, I was thinking about dropping blizzard, piercing orb, and cold blooded. I was gonna replace with Arcane Torrent (15% arcane dmg increase rune), magic missle (split or penetrating), and temporal flux. I dunno how kiting would be though. Blizzard is pretty much on demand snare where as arcane damage might not work as well.

Most will get bored of the game before reaching even the 50s, and thats not even a quarter of the way. At about 10mil/hour, it will take about 1000 playtime hours to get to 100, thats a part time job for a year. For most, MF gear will remain useful their entire time playing diablo.

Base stats increase is 3 main stat, 2 vit, 1 everything else.

chart.jpg

Yeah I sold my less valuable MF gear (e.g. shoulders, quivers) initially for about 20-30% more than I bought it for - which probably just accounts for inflation. But when I price checked my boots/ammy - both had actually gone up significantly in value. One of my MF ammy's is seriously 4x in price since 1.0.4 so I know there's no way I let it go for cheap now. The DPS difference between my DPS/MF gear is seriously prohibitive for Act3 farming, so I don't plan on going back to my MF setup anytime soon.

Yeah I can't afford Lacuni's so I bought some cheap Slave Bonds as a stop-gap in the mean-time. I upgraded from the old Hammer Jammers for my DH as well...but I dunno how much 3-4% feels, but I'll take it haha.

I agree, but using this build makes me lazy which always results in my death, usually from fast mobs.

I find the Meteor CM build to be pretty good but I have only played it at level 60 on Soft Core. To dish out a TON of damage its really gear dependent but the more you sacrifice damage the cheaper the build gets. Since you'll be using a shield the only 2 hard pieces of gear is the Helmet with Arcane on Crit and max arcane and a weapon with the same.

Meteor really triggers Critical Mass far better than Tornado IMO plus it does more damage.

I agree, but using this build makes me lazy which always results in my death, usually from fast mobs.

I find the Meteor CM build to be pretty good but I have only played it at level 60 on Soft Core. To dish out a TON of damage its really gear dependent but the more you sacrifice damage the cheaper the build gets. Since you'll be using a shield the only 2 hard pieces of gear is the Helmet with Arcane on Crit and max arcane and a weapon with the same.

Meteor really triggers Critical Mass far better than Tornado IMO plus it does more damage.

I'm using a source, even in HC. :eek:

I can't stand casters with shields. Probably why I have 3 dead 60 wizards lol

I'm using a source, even in HC. :eek:

I can't stand casters with shields. Probably why I have 3 dead 60 wizards lol

I have never used a shield.....But I haven't played hardcore. I just know most people in HC use shields and I probably will when I get into HC. My build will be.

Meteor (star impact)
Frost Nova (the crit one)

Dimond Skin (prismatic Armor)
Teleport
Spark Flint (absorb hit or charge arcane)
Magic Weapon.

Critical Mass - Arcane Charging one - Blur

Yea, I was thinking about dropping blizzard, piercing orb, and cold blooded. I was gonna replace with Arcane Torrent (15% arcane dmg increase rune), magic missle (split or penetrating), and temporal flux. I dunno how kiting would be though. Blizzard is pretty much on demand snare where as arcane damage might not work as well.

Before i got to inferno, i REALLY was digging my arcane spec. Got to inferno and it was no longer viable :*( Prob just gear tho.

Been there done that.......Temporal Flux's 30 % seems to be virtually unnoticeable and is a rather useless skill.

Arcane Torrent is quite a bit better after 1.0.4 but its still a stupid spell that is too slow and does too little damage. They lowered the casting cost of this so you can pretty much use it as a primary skill and not need Magic missile....though I prefer magic missile.

I have a paragon 9 monk and sort of feel like I can no longer progress for gear. Here is my character:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/jruser-1713/hero/3563811

I rarely die with near instant and continuous healing, but I also can hardly do damage to the yellow and blue enemies. I was able to solo Diablo, though playing through the act to get to him required the help of a strong team.

I am at the point where it seems like small gear upgrades are 1 million per item. I looked at the counter and I have found less than 3m in my lifetime playing the game, so I don't know where people get that kind of gold.

It seems that the AH is full of sellers and few buyers. I have managed to make around 1m in sales total mostly from a couple of lucky shield drops. I find gear with good stats and find the cheapest buyout for a comparable item. I then price my buyout 10% lower, and set the starting bid at 10% of the buyout. I often will have no bids, virtually giving away items compared to the prices of other auctions.

I clearly fail at selling, farming, and doing any worthwhile amount of damage. Does anybody see what I am doing obviously wrong with my monk? Am I expecting too much out of the monk?

Maybe expecting too much, but I'm not sure since I don't play a Monk. I do feel that spending over a million should be the norm at this point, as I didn't start feeling comfortable with my Wizard until I spent well over 1 mil a piece, and I heard Wizard gear tends to be cheaper too. However, nowadays gear worth millions before can be had for cheap today.

On an unrelated note I currently have a dilemma in choosing a passive for my Wizard: Blur or Arcane Dynamo. Blur is just nice to have when I get into sticky situations against melee. I found myself damn near invincible when I was surrounded by pack of champion phase beasts with shielding and plague, walling me in so I was forced to stand in pools. That mitigation probably made the difference in my survivability. On the other hand, Arcane Dynamo procs like crazy with Living Lightning, making my energy twisters much more powerful in general. It also makes Archon mode ridiculously insane, though only for the first attack. I risk being wide open to attacks when attempting to make full use of AD+Archon, but it's wonderful against bosses (Was hitting Ghom for 200k-400k per tick during tests). However, I do find myself in Archon mode quite often reguarly, so AD is basically useless after the initial attack. Gonna play around to see how well I can fare without Blur. Maybe I'll just get used to it and forget I ever had it. AD does add an extra level of intricacy to the build, so it's nice.

Back