Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Absolutely on the closed full beta. This stuff needs to be tested! End game can't be metagaming the auction house.

I still think level cap should be 99 with better bosses and ability to grind out extra perks for skills (at least rune improvements), but...

Things like weak legendaries, weak 2H'er builds, broken skills, really have nothing to do with the AH. Thats what I was talking about being tested.

The problem is that changes won't be retroactive so you'll have to go out there with hopes of getting a legendary drop... and we all know how often that happens =P

thats bullshit that they are not going to fix the legendaries that already exist what a CROCK of shiz.

thats bullshit that they are not going to fix the legendaries that already exist what a CROCK of shiz.

While they nerf all player's weapon without hesitate...

They are just tons of douche bag money milker.

The "D3" tactic, as this will come to be called, will only work once. Kill your rabid fanbase and the pillars of your success will fall soon after. Blizzard has killed their golden goose only to find nothing inside, and this is the final, merciful nail in their coffin.

Things like weak legendaries, weak 2H'er builds, broken skills, really have nothing to do with the AH. Thats what I was talking about being tested.

I know, I was adding on.

It was already retarded that 2h skill builds were not very viable due to the limitation in the skill/gear combos, but adding to that - improper dps scaling, lack of stats and a huge hit to survivability - it really made them pointless.

Then we have the only real summon class in the game who cannot beat the game using summons because they scale so poorly. Other classes being shoehorned into 1-3 viable builds. Completely unbalanced skills, runes and passives.

That fit your expectation better? :p

While they nerf all player's weapon without hesitate...

They are just tons of douche bag money milker.

Yea no shit. It's an obvious money grab. Nerfs are retroactive but buffs aren't?

Blizzard basically just pulled down its pants and shit in our mouths.

These changes they're doing in 1.0.4 look very nice and should have been in the game from the beginning. Atleast they're going in the right direction.

The improvements to legendaries is interesting. On the one hand they finally are worthy of their "legendary" claim. On the other hand, I am concerned about things eventually working towards the "standard loadout" for high-end characters, which would be based around a specific set of skills and specific OP legendaries to compliment them/make up for their weaknesses. After all it was stated specifically in that blog post that a legendary should feel "unique", and that unique feeling is lost when every other farming wizard on b.net uses the same "legendary" wand/armor, etc.

That said, Legendaries probably will still be rare enough that the plebeian player like myself will never even have hope of completing one of these loadouts so it doesn't matter much for me in the end anyway.

What I would have liked to see was them adding in more lower level legendaries and sets, to give the path from 1-60 a little more flair. Moving many legendaries to ilvl63 may even be a step in the wrong direction. I guess this is still possible via future patch or expansion, so there may still be hope yet.

I know, I was adding on.

It was already retarded that 2h skill builds were not very viable due to the limitation in the skill/gear combos, but adding to that - improper dps scaling, lack of stats and a huge hit to survivability - it really made them pointless.

Then we have the only real summon class in the game who cannot beat the game using summons because they scale so poorly. Other classes being shoehorned into 1-3 viable builds. Completely unbalanced skills, runes and passives.

That fit your expectation better? :p

Yeah sorry bout that. Guess I was just reading fast while I was eating lunch at work. But, yeah well said. Not to get into details but Areana net with the way they are developing GW2 is a sound process on how you develop a video game, and not being a fanboy, I'm not even getting GW2.

The improvements to legendaries is interesting. On the one hand they finally are worthy of their "legendary" claim. On the other hand, I am concerned about things eventually working towards the "standard loadout" for high-end characters, which would be based around a specific set of skills and specific OP legendaries to compliment them/make up for their weaknesses. After all it was stated specifically in that blog post that a legendary should feel "unique", and that unique feeling is lost when every other farming wizard on b.net uses the same "legendary" wand/armor, etc.

That said, Legendaries probably will still be rare enough that the plebeian player like myself will never even have hope of completing one of these loadouts so it doesn't matter much for me in the end anyway.

What I would have liked to see was them adding in more lower level legendaries and sets, to give the path from 1-60 a little more flair. Moving many legendaries to ilvl63 may even be a step in the wrong direction. I guess this is still possible via future patch or expansion, so there may still be hope yet.

Nothing wrong with that. That's how it was in Diablo 2. What I hope though is that the uniques vary in stats enough to make the best ones many many times more costly and 'rare' than the lesser versions. Like say a Skorn that has 50% crit only goes for 2 mill while a perfect scorn with 200% crit goes for 500 mill or something.

Nothing wrong with that. That's how it was in Diablo 2. What I hope though is that the uniques vary in stats enough to make the best ones many many times more costly and 'rare' than the lesser versions. Like say a Skorn that has 50% crit only goes for 2 mill while a perfect scorn with 200% crit goes for 500 mill or something.

I preferred D2 Classic, where rares had the potential to be the best items in the game. Wearing a full set of completely unique (not "Unique") gear was very rewarding.

I preferred D2 Classic, where rares had the potential to be the best items in the game. Wearing a full set of completely unique (not "Unique") gear was very rewarding.

I didn't. Magic finding in LOD and seeing a Shako drop or a Windforce drop gave me that feeling that is missing in Diablo 2 Classic and Diablo 3. Seeing a high level rune drop gave me a similar good feeling. There was so much more to do in LOD that Classic doesn't even compare to. Hell you could do cows with 0 MF and still find nice stuff in the form of non-magical white weapons and armor to use with the socket quest and runewords. There was a crazy amount of replayability in LOD that classic simply doesn't have because the items mostly suck and the rares are only good if they roll high stats, they don't have any overly cool unique features like in LOD where the "Wealth" runeword had +300% gold find for example. Then you had a truly viable gold finding character by using all kinds of +gold find charms and Gheeds unique charm, another feature that didn't exist in Classic. Then you could use a 6 socket crystal sword full of the "Lem" runes for even more gold find. It made gambling truly viable. None of this was possible in Classic.

Also, in LOD if you PVP there's still alot of rares that are better than any uniques. Rares like Tri-resist runwalk boots, faster cast rate rings with strength/mana for Barbarians, helms with +2 skills, runwalk, and hit recovery. Stuff that helps you reach certain breakpoints. Those types of things sell for thousands of forum gold. PVP is also much better in LOD than Classic thanks to things like Enigma.

LOD is what made Diablo 2 great.

Last edited:
I didn't. Magic finding in LOD and seeing a Shako drop or a Windforce drop gave me that feeling that is missing in Diablo 2 Classic and Diablo 3. Seeing a high level rune drop gave me a similar good feeling. There was so much more to do in LOD that Classic doesn't even compare to. Hell you could do cows with 0 MF and still find nice stuff in the form of non-magical white weapons and armor to use with the socket quest and runewords. There was a crazy amount of replayability in LOD that classic simply doesn't have because the items mostly suck and the rares are only good if they roll high stats, they don't have any overly cool unique features like in LOD where the "Wealth" runeword had +300% gold find for example. Then you had a truly viable gold finding character by using all kinds of +gold find charms and Gheeds unique charm, another feature that didn't exist in Classic. Then you could use a 6 socket crystal sword full of the "Lem" runes for even more gold find. It made gambling truly viable. None of this was possible in Classic.

Also, in LOD if you PVP there's still alot of rares that are better than any uniques. Rares like Tri-resist runwalk boots, faster cast rate rings with strength/mana for Barbarians, helms with +2 skills, runwalk, and hit recovery. Stuff that helps you reach certain breakpoints. Those types of things sell for thousands of forum gold. PVP is also much better in LOD than Classic thanks to things like Enigma.

LOD is what made Diablo 2 great.

Classic had just as big of a community as LOD

I am Monk and having issues in Inferno Act 3.
Some elites are hard, but most managable.
Killed Ghom (took 4 tries) & Seigebreaker (1st try - facetanked him)

For some reason, I can't advance with crazy elites after that.
I tried to restart, but the same elites everytime (Guys with one big hammer)
I want to finish Act 3.
Here are my specs, please let me know what I need to improve on.
I can farm Act 1 & 2

22700 damage ( 23100 w/ enchantress)
6100 armour ( 7100 w/ enchantress)
43000 health ( 46000 w/ earth ally)
714 all resist
1200 LoH
1.80 attack speed dual weild

Thunder Fist - teleport
earth ally (Sometimes I'll use blinding flash)

serenity - extra second
Wind - cyclone
BoH - bad guys run away
Conviction - overawe

It seems like any upgrade for me now is 5 Million +
Farming has produced nothing worthwhile.

Finally, I upgraded 3 items for approx 10M.
The most expensive was the bracer for 5M+

Stats unbuffed:
22700 to 27100 damage
6100 to 6150 armour
43000 to 40000 health
714 to 695 all resist
1200 to 850 LoH
1.80 to 1.76 attack speed dual weild
16 to 22 Crit chance
101 to 154 Crit damage

Gain some and lost some on others
Gain over 4K damage, added 6% crit and 53 crit damage (this made huge difference)
With Blinding flash & 1st 3 secs of Overawe, my crit damage went from up to 56000 to over 100000.

Lost 3K health, attack speed & LoH

I managed to finish Act 3 inferno.
Tried Act 4 yesterday and got my a$$ kicked.
From A1 to 2 was a huge difference. A2 to A3 wasn't too bad.
How much more harder is act 4 from act 3 ?
I can't upgrade anymore .... out of gold.
Need to farm.

Classic had just as big of a community as LOD

No it doesn't, if you check the Hardcore ladder for classic, you only need to get level 28 to reach the top 1000. For the Hardcore LOD ladder though you'd need level 88, big difference. Even in non-hardcore ladder, classic you'd need level 72 to break top 1000 whereas in LOD you'd need level 96. There's alot more people playing LOD. I know it's harder to level in Classic but level 28 is a joke and level 72 isn't that hard to get to either even in Classic.

I like both Classic and LoD. I didn't care for the level or enemy design so much in LoD, but the content like new gear, runewords, charms and classes really bumped up the replayability for me. I can go back every year and play either way without getting bored. I'm much more inclined to fire up Median XL or Path of Exile right now, though.

I like both Classic and LoD. I didn't care for the level or enemy design so much in LoD, but the content like new gear, runewords, charms and classes really bumped up the replayability for me. I can go back every year and play either way without getting bored. I'm much more inclined to fire up Median XL or Path of Exile right now, though.

I played Median XL for a while, it was fun but I still prefer the original game that the developers made. What most impressed me about Median XL was the amount of modding skills the guy had, was pretty crazy how much he was able to change.

Honestly, we should have known. Activition + blizzard, the current state of WoW, PANDARIA ffs... the writing was on the wall.

Indeed we should have. This is the price we pay for nostalgia and denial.

I have learned my lesson. I'll probably never buy another Blizzard game again.

On a positive note though, I am having a blast playing Path of Exile.:cool:

It is sad to say, but beta is just coming to an end. I can't count how many times I would be playing with my regular group and someone woudl say in Vent, "Why would they do this?" or " How is this even in the game?" This stuff should have been in at launch. That said, at least they are trying to fix it.

We need a ladder reset big time.

I might actually start playing the game again with the new patch. If I do, I'll be deleting all my characters and mules and start from scratch.

It is sad to say, but beta is just coming to an end. I can't count how many times I would be playing with my regular group and someone woudl say in Vent, "Why would they do this?" or " How is this even in the game?" This stuff should have been in at launch. That said, at least they are trying to fix it.

We need a ladder reset big time.

I might actually start playing the game again with the new patch. If I do, I'll be deleting all my characters and mules and start from scratch.

They are in a tough spot. Real money is involved now, if they reset everyone then i'm sure those people who spent alot of $ on items would quit. It might bring back alot of people but who knows? I think alot of people quit after they nerfed IAS too and that really brought the message home to them.

I played Median XL for a while, it was fun but I still prefer the original game that the developers made. What most impressed me about Median XL was the amount of modding skills the guy had, was pretty crazy how much he was able to change.

I hold MedianXL to be the greatest loot-driven aRPG ever made. Blizzard should have taken a page out of Valve's book and hired Brother Laz to lead Diablo 3 development.

I hold MedianXL to be the greatest loot-driven aRPG ever made. Blizzard should have taken a page out of Valve's book and hired Brother Laz to lead Diablo 3 development.

Yeah i'm just a 'purist' in that sense. Never really got into the DOTA mod for Warcraft 3 either because it felt like one of those "Yo Dawg I Herd" meme jokes where it was a game inside a game. League of Legends looks cool though, but games inside games just feel weird. That's just me though, I know Median XL is a legendary D2 mod.

They are in a tough spot. Real money is involved now, if they reset everyone then i'm sure those people who spent alot of $ on items would quit. It might bring back alot of people but who knows? I think alot of people quit after they nerfed IAS too and that really brought the message home to them.

There is no way they are ever going to reset the current batch of characters. What they could do is start an actual ladder with seasons, no RMAH, and reset that on a regular basis. They may have to when pvp comes out.

My Monk finally cleared Inferno Diablo.

Stats:
Stats unbuffed
27100 damage
6150 armour
40500 health
695 all resist
850 LoH
1.76 attack speed dual weild
22 Crit chance
154 Crit damage

I had to change from Conviction Overawe to Evasion Hard Target
The extra armour & dodge made the difference

I recommended you have over 40K health before trying to beat inferno diablo.
His cage & smash hit for 40K health.
Luckily, I have 40500 and didn't die from his cage & smash.
Hit Serenrity just before HP goes to zero and replenish health.
Took me about 8 mins to beat him with 5 stacks NV.
Some elites are way harder than diablo.

Now, have to farm to get my money back, so far I made $36 from RMAH.
Try selling 10M gold..... but no luck so far.

I spent about 30M total for all gear.
Dual wield
Main Hand - fist
835dps
100 dex
100 vit
850Loh
+36 LPSS (with transend, I get 5K life every time I spam my mantra)

Off Hand
850dps - fist
230 str
130 dex
130 vit
2 spirit regen per sec

Important things to have:
Resist
LoH
Crit damage
Crit chance
40K health

Last edited:
My Monk finally cleared Inferno Diablo.

Now, have to farm to get my money back, so far I made $36 from RMAH.
Try selling 10M gold..... but no luck so far.

Congrats....I found beating inferno with monk to be a pain in the ass. Wizard, demonhunter, and barb were all easier for me.

I have 4 or 5 friends with over 10million gold just sitting on the auction house with no takers so I don't think you'll be able to get anything for it.

Gold can be had for 3 to 4x cheaper on alternative sites due to the minimum sell amount set by blizzard.

Probably best to buy the best Item you can that you think will be good forever and either hold on to it to avoid inflation or sell it for the bling dongs.

I spent hours last night scouring the AH for decent deals on gear to raise my resists and EHP. According to the calculator my EHP is now over 1 million, yet I get wtfpwned by elites in Act 3. As barb I can tank hordes of normal mobs, at one point I must have rounded up like 50 of them and killed them all without any issues never even dipping below half health. First elite pack I ran into was molten arcane desecrator jailer which made short work of me. Then I reloaded the game after dying to it a couple of times and got a mortar illusionist desecrator jailer instead which too killed me rather quickly. Gave up after that. Didn't feel like parking them. If I can't kill elites I don't want to progress.

I know that this is likely a dps issue but I also won't be spending dozens of millions to upgrade the gear, I'd rather just walk away from progression and keep playing the AH for a bit longer.

This is with Enchantress and Warcry/Impunity:

zjbdP.png

Congrats....I found beating inferno with monk to be a pain in the ass. Wizard, demonhunter, and barb were all easier for me.

I have 4 or 5 friends with over 10million gold just sitting on the auction house with no takers so I don't think you'll be able to get anything for it.

Gold can be had for 3 to 4x cheaper on alternative sites due to the minimum sell amount set by blizzard.

Probably best to buy the best Item you can that you think will be good forever and either hold on to it to avoid inflation or sell it for the bling dongs.

Thanks..... hoping to cash in my gold.
Have to buy a few items then sell on RMAH.
I find only thing selling now has to have magic find.
Sold Pants with 50 dex, 50 vit and 20MF for 2.5M
Sold Pants with 150 dex, 20MF for $4.75

I used cm wiz with ww had only a 134000 EHP and cleared all the way 2 Diablo. Barb i suggest u get yourself some DPS and since the WW barb is not nerfed get yourself some crit gear and farm away :)

Yeah so if people haven't checked already, DH blog is up and it's very underwhelming. I know, people who quit pre-NT nerf still think DH's are OP. I just would have liked to see build diversity relevant changes.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6986845/Patch_104_Preview_Demon_Hunter-8_16_2012

Instead it's small, insignificant bumps...that do nothing to influence builds, or promote diversity. The best builds are still the same - nice one Blizz. Yeah RoV is the one change that's notable though. It's pretty laughable how bad it was before compared to the Barb's EQ...but 715 over 5 closes that gap considerably.

Last edited:
Yeah so if people haven't checked already, DH blog is up and it's very underwhelming. I know, people who quit pre-NT nerf still think DH's are OP. I just would have liked to see build diversity relevant changes.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6986845/Patch_104_Preview_Demon_Hunter-8_16_2012

Instead it's small, insignificant bumps...that do nothing to influence builds, or promote diversity. The best builds are still the same - nice one Blizz. Yeah RoV is the one change that's notable though. It's pretty laughable how bad it was before compared to the Barb's EQ...but 715 over 5 closes that gap considerably.

Yeahhh, kinda got the same feeling. Rain of Vengeance change is nice but I don't see people switching to the other skills at all.

Sentry changes need to be more than just damage. Some of the runes are flat out worthless. Healing needs to be at least 3%/sec. Fire chains either increase the range and damage substantially or change it to a DoT-effect in the surrounding area. Guardian I always though would be better if it were a shield that absorbed a % of your max health (~75%, and on a cooldown of course to avoid spamming).

No one uses Bola Shot because of the delay, not because of the damage. They need to either remove the delay or add an interesting proc, like ~30% chance to root the target.

Oh well, we'll see what 1.1 brings.

I spent hours last night scouring the AH for decent deals on gear to raise my resists and EHP. According to the calculator my EHP is now over 1 million, yet I get wtfpwned by elites in Act 3. As barb I can tank hordes of normal mobs, at one point I must have rounded up like 50 of them and killed them all without any issues never even dipping below half health. First elite pack I ran into was molten arcane desecrator jailer which made short work of me. Then I reloaded the game after dying to it a couple of times and got a mortar illusionist desecrator jailer instead which too killed me rather quickly. Gave up after that. Didn't feel like parking them. If I can't kill elites I don't want to progress.

I know that this is likely a dps issue but I also won't be spending dozens of millions to upgrade the gear, I'd rather just walk away from progression and keep playing the AH for a bit longer.

No offense, but that is probably the most depressing PC-gaming-related account I've ever read. :(

No offense, but that is probably the most depressing PC-gaming-related account I've ever read. :(
Heh, you don't know the half of it. My base EHP is actually 1.95 mil right now yet most Act 3 elites will make short work of me. I don't doubt that people completed the game with less, but they must have just bypassed all elites and/or parked them out of the way so they can complete the tasks without actually clearing the game.

Saw some video of some retard saying he finished the game with 50k gold gear or some similar BS. Yeah, he died like 400 times between Belial Phase 1 and getting to Phase 3, that's retarded and doesn't count as "completed" in my book.

As working adult I am simply not willing to spend hundreds of hours farming for gold or gear so I can kill Azmodan and Diablo for the 4th time. Maybe the next patch will nerf Act3/4 elites enough to make it entertaining again without a 1 billion gold budget but if not then I will be happier playing something else.

I put 80+ hours into it and while I personally don't feel like I got my money's worth I did actually get it if you apply the "less than $1 per hour played" measurement. I certainly didn't find all 80+ hours entertaining but I kept playing in hopes of it getting better.

I calculated about 1.56M-1.78M EH (depending on the resistance calculated), judging from the screenshot. Hope my math was right:

58100/[(1-0.7812)*(1-0.7568)*(1-0.175)*(1-0.3)]

This is vs. lvl 63 monsters so the reduction percentages are a little lower than what the in-game tooltips show. Block is kinda tricky since its calculated after all the EH calculations. On average, it can absorb about 112k health, which can be effectively a dodge if the damage is under that threshold.

DPS is extremely low though, I'm not sure what it takes for a barb to clear content, but it seems very off balance.

I calculated about 1.56M-1.78M EH (depending on the resistance calculated), judging from the screenshot. [...]

DPS is extremely low though, I'm not sure what it takes for a barb to clear content, but it seems very off balance.
Here's the EHP from the github calc:
WwKuk.png

not that it really matters, it's all made up numbers anyway.

The DPS is low for sure but on the barb forums there are plenty of folks who at least claim to have completed the game with less than 20k dps unbuffed. It certainly is off-balance as well, I could probably easily drop some 20k hp and try to add more dps instead. Once I have calmed down a bit I may consider hitting the AH for the necessary gear again but I am kind of losing interest at this point.

I finally bit on this game a few days ago.

It's definitely legit but I still prefer torchlight....

You can easily clear the game with less than 20k dps on a barb. You have to remember that dps more than doubles when you pop wrath, and you should have wrath up on just about every pack

Back