Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

It takes nothing to have the proper gear to clear it now. 46k dps with 900 all resist and still dying in Act 1? That's about as troll as it gets.

agreed.

I can switch out a lot of my gear on my monk for MF in act1 inferno and still not have a problem. I do runs all the time with about 200 res all 30k health 15k dps and 180% MF and have no major problems. Every now and then for a hard elite i may switch the gear back but otherwise I'm good through the butcher.

yeah agreed butcher wouldve been no problem.

maybe i just dont play solo as much as you guys cause some of what your saying is crazy to me.. i have like 200 resist all 40k hp and 30k dps and act 1 is a joke. the lack of resistance gets me killed every now and then but not really. even when my hp was more like 25k and dps below 20k it still wasnt insane or anything
Solo is generally faster/better for farming personally, since MF is averaged in a group. I end up carrying bads if I am playing in a public game.

Definitely overgeared for Act1, but still feel underwhelming in Act2. The fact that I can faceroll much of it, no matter what champion combos I run across, means I'm sticking with Act1 farming for now.

You've less resist than me but more DPS (unbuffed, right?), so I would think that should work. With a decent amount of LoH and a good attack speed, you should be fine.

What's your weapon setup? Dual wield?

Yea, unbuffed. Dual wield. LoH = 1339, LpSS = ~140, Regen = ~500.

I dropped my IAS post nerf to something like 20%. I'm mostly using survival skills and heals.

I killed Jay Wilson last night, and he only dropped 400 gold. Cheap bastard.

Solo is generally faster/better for farming personally, since MF is averaged in a group.

Agreed. With my templar out, i have 211MF.

Thanks for the build suggestions yesterday. I am finally owning Act 1.

I was wrong about my stats too... i had ~13k dps, ~22k HP, and ~130 resist all. I was getting stomped.

Now with a few cheap gear purchases, i got my stats up to ~15k dps, ~36k HP, and ~250 resist all, with over 200 MF.

Dropping frost nova for Empowered Weapon was key, taking my dps up to ~17k, and while i didn't like Tap the Source at first, it does seem better when it comes to sustained DPS.

Now, however, i feel like i never use my arcane missile... what should i swap this for?

Agreed. With my templar out, i have 211MF.

Thanks for the build suggestions yesterday. I am finally owning Act 1.

I was wrong about my stats too... i had ~13k dps, ~22k HP, and ~130 resist all. I was getting stomped.

Now with a few cheap gear purchases, i got my stats up to ~15k dps, ~36k HP, and ~250 resist all, with over 200 MF.

Dropping frost nova for Empowered Weapon was key, taking my dps up to ~17k, and while i didn't like Tap the Source at first, it does seem better when it comes to sustained DPS.

Now, however, i feel like i never use my arcane missile... what should i swap this for?

this is the build i currently use, works wonders if you stack crit dmg + crit chance:
hydra (venom), diamond skin (crystal), force weapon, force armor. primary - celestral orb, secondary - blizzard with chance to freeze enemy.

see a pack of enemys, drop hydra, then 1 blizzard will snare/freeze them, use the rest of the power pool to spam orb through the blizzard = WIN! (if you are out of power, it will use the default single damage range attack which still does decent damage)

Best way to MP farm.

1 have all good players.....No lechers who stay in town until you find a blue group.
2 don't kill any white monsters just run past in search of blue
3 Separate and call out when you have a blue group.
4 Ventrillo

Magic find isn't nearly as important anymore now that 5 stacks drops rares erreyday...but I still have 165 no stacks.

You do 46k dps, have 900 resists and get smacked down in Act 1? Bullshit. I do 27k dps, have 600 resists and almost never die in Act 1 unless I am being careless or the mobs are something like teleport/fast/frozen/etc.

It was hard to kill some of them with only 20k dps when that is what I had. Now Act 1 is a pushover unless the elites get some crazy thing like horde jailer arcane - which I did have on a duo run last night. Horde dropping laser beams while jailing you is bad mojo.

Everyone here is pretty much overgeared for Act 1. We cleared it the first week with like 15k DPS (on our DH's) and about 8k dps on our monk with pretty much no resist all. Game was so new we didn't even know about nether tentacles (that it hit targets multiple times) and it wasn't until Act 3 that we figured out SS granted you invulnerability. Our monk didn't even use one with everything until Act 2 beat the snot out of him.

The stuff I paid 1.25 mill for at the time is worth maybe 10k now. No one should have issues in Act 1. It takes nothing to have the proper gear to clear it now. 46k dps with 900 all resist and still dying in Act 1? That's about as troll as it gets.

I don't die in Act 1 anymore, I did a lot to the elites when I had at most 20K DPS and little resists.

Best way to MP farm.

1 have all good players.....No lechers who stay in town until you find a blue group.
2 don't kill any white monsters just run past in search of blue
3 Separate and call out when you have a blue group.
4 Ventrillo

Magic find isn't nearly as important anymore now that 5 stacks drops rares erreyday...but I still have 165 no stacks.

this; i was getting 3-4 rares off packs and shit last night had to hit town like 20 times

Solo is generally faster/better for farming personally, since MF is averaged in a group. I end up carrying bads if I am playing in a public game.

not necessarily. technically the game is supposed to be significantly faster with more people... the problem is people dont always pull their weight or dont have the ability to pull their own weight. with 3 people last night I cut my act 1 clear time in half and it was mostly because the barb was able to hold mobs on him for an extended amount of time while i do fucking work on them rares

Nope, but as the game is all about finding gear, i don't want gear without it. The more the better imo lol

The trick is finding other people who also have high MF. Everyone i play with can only muster about 110.

Ya, I'm just waiting for the patch, but I don't believe the patch coming out this week will do anything for me. Oh well.

I have well over 300 hours on my character and 0 pieces of gear my character is using right now I've found. It's just the way it is. Kinda sad, but that's how drops are.

Why did you end up farming Act 4 BTW? Seems somewhat hard to do seeing as there's only 1 boss you can kill with full NV and Diablo can be somewhat fickle depending on which shadow you random.

General ignorance. I didn't know the drop rates were the same for Act 3 and 4. I assumed I would get better stuff in Act 4!

It was also much easier for me as a wizard, as there is a general lack of projectiles to deal with in Act 4. And no soul lashers... Also, the only boss I would kill was Diablo and the no loot Izual. I'd start at the Crystal Spire to get Tyrael, clear that, and then go back to beginning to get the mobs in the first and second tier. Finally, I would end on Diablo. The arcane orb shadow did one shot me many times.

At least I have two items I found that I still wear. A pair of Natalya's boots with Int/Vit and a moderately crappy ilvl 62 ring.

yeah love using my high resist barb to hold mobs while a wiz or dh pound them from a distance, all i need now is a higher DPS weapon resists are at 600-700 and over 900 with warcry. 24k health means i can soak a ton of damage.

Definitely needed in A4 with my current stats since my DPS is on the low side. I'm guessing it's the same with A3.

A2 it's fairly useful vs certain elite champs with lame combos.

My monk:
13kdps
5k armor with enchant
~850 res all
~1500LoH
40kHP (huge hp boost from all the %life gear I have randomly)

Last night, unable to sleep, I bankrupted my gold getting closer to this kind of build. How are you at such a high LOH? Add gems to weapons that already have LOH? I was hitting a res all wall stacking OWE cold + resist all where I was losing way too much vitality and dexterity. I guess I should have thrown more money at it but I probably dropped 900k total!

lvl 56 barb

should I put a 14-28 + damage rubi into my weapon, or do the Emerald for +45% critical damage?

Whats your % chance to crit? If it is low, the extra crit damage doesn't really matter too much. If that's the case, I'd go with life on hit amethyst. If you have a good chance to crit, that will net you more dps at the expense of survivability.

Whats your % chance to crit? If it is low, the extra crit damage doesn't really matter too much. If that's the case, I'd go with life on hit amethyst. If you have a good chance to crit, that will net you more dps at the expense of survivability.

5% =/

Last night, unable to sleep, I bankrupted my gold getting closer to this kind of build. How are you at such a high LOH? Add gems to weapons that already have LOH? I was hitting a res all wall stacking OWE cold + resist all where I was losing way too much vitality and dexterity. I guess I should have thrown more money at it but I probably dropped 900k total!

Off teh top of my head...

Amulet has ~400

1 weapon has 141, now sockerted with a crit gem as I mess around with a crit build

1 weapon has 414 base with a socket that has 300, so 700.

Random bits of LoH here and there, I think I have a ring that gives 80, my pants give about 70?

I'll post up my gear later tonight when i get home from work.

I'm just now noticing to start to look for res items at the AH instead of Str and Vit. ugh.

Should I be looking for res items + str?

You can get LoH weapons in the ~600 dps range with 500+ LoH, plus LoH amulet and gems. You're looking at 100k gold per weapon or so and about the same for an amulet with 150-200 LoH. Add some decent IAS, fast weapons, and a couple AoE abilities and you're almost never burning potions.

I'm just now noticing to start to look for res items at the AH instead of Str and Vit. ugh.

Should I be looking for res items + str?

A bit, but IMO you shouldn't need to buy much from level 56-59 unless you're getting killed. Save up for those level 60-63 items when you get there.

A bit, but IMO you shouldn't need to buy much from level 56-59 unless you're getting killed. Save up for those level 60-63 items when you get there.

I get killed by the elites once in awhile, but not all the time. i have to run away from a low of shit tho and that gets pretty annoying.

I get killed by the elites once in awhile, but not all the time. i have to run away from a low of shit tho and that gets pretty annoying.

Try using Frenzy with Wrath of the Berserker and Revenge + fast weapon. I have a 57 Barb that is nearly indestructible with those 3 in a battle. Usually, I will Earthquake a tough pack, Ground Stomp stun so they soak the dmg, then Leap +300% armor in popping Wrath of the Berserker with Frenzy + axe thrown as main attack, hit Revenge as it pops. I can routinely clear two packs at once that way.

See if this works...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WYXVTP!gWd!aZaccZ

Last edited:
Try using Frenzy with Wrath of the Berserker and Revenge + fast weapon. I have a 57 Barb that is nearly indestructible with those 3 in a battle. Usually, I will Earthquake a tough pack, Ground Stomp stun so they soak the dmg, then Leap +300% armor in popping Wrath of the Berserker with Frenzy + axe thrown as main attack, hit Revenge as it pops. I can routinely clear two packs at once that way.

I used that exact build and just changed it up. Maybe I just suck, lol.

I don't use earthquake, though. I should start using that against 3 yellows.

Did a run through of Act 3 after to patch to see if any hidden nerfs/buffs took place for the drop rate. Turns out there isn't. 15 elites, 0 ilvl 63, 3 ilvl 63s, and 4 ilvl 61.

Another week of camping the AH it is. At least I'm making good money reselling stuff :rolleyes:

Did a run through of Act 3 after to patch to see if any hidden nerfs/buffs took place for the drop rate. Turns out there isn't. 15 elites, 0 ilvl 63, 3 ilvl 63s, and 4 ilvl 61.

Another week of camping the AH it is. At least I'm making good money reselling stuff :rolleyes:

Blizz said they're changing it in 1.0.4, there wasn't enough time to include it in today's patch.

But that's some shitty luck. I usually get nothing but ilvl 61-63 when I farm Act 3.

Back