Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Just beat the butcher on NM with a monk and I'm feeling like I'm digressing for some reason. Can someone confirm if my stats look alright. These are from memory.
Lvl 38 monk
HP ~Low 3K
Dex ~400
Int ~?
Vit ~?
Armor ~1700
Damage ~525

Also can someone offer up a quick run down on what to do with gems? AFAIK you load up with as much of your main attribute as possible (dex in my case), and then socket your weapon with strength. Is this right? I've also heard someone say you want to socket your helm with something different.

Is it also wise to equip items with the highest attribute in favor of everything else?

Thanks ahead of time for any help or advice.

I can't really comment on your stats but what I do with gems is buy the highest price within reason. Like I'll send around 7k for a 30int gem, but not 90k for a 34int gem. That's just an example of how crazy the prices can be.

Because I'm a Wizard I try to stack up on Int and Vit gems. For my helm I use the one that gives extra magic find and for my weapon it's the highest strength I can get for the added damage.

If they would just unfuck the auction house I would be happy. I'm lvl 52 with all my gear being 38 or lower. Jack shit has dropped as far as upgrades go. The auction house has been completely broken for me over since lvl 38.

Just beat the butcher on NM with a monk and I'm feeling like I'm digressing for some reason. Can someone confirm if my stats look alright. These are from memory.
Lvl 38 monk
HP ~Low 3K
Dex ~400
Int ~?
Vit ~?
Armor ~1700
Damage ~525

Also can someone offer up a quick run down on what to do with gems? AFAIK you load up with as much of your main attribute as possible (dex in my case), and then socket your weapon with strength. Is this right? I've also heard someone say you want to socket your helm with something different.

Is it also wise to equip items with the highest attribute in favor of everything else?

If you're leveling, use a ruby for helm (+X% experience) and a ruby for your weapon (+X damage). Use a combination of Vitality (amethyst) and Your primary stat gem in your gear as you see fit.

You can salvage an item to get the gem back or unsocket an item at the jeweler. Never buy gems unless they're outside of your drop grade. Gems also have no level requirement. They expressed that this was on purpose to twink any alts with your higher level gems.

My level 39 Wizard is around your area and she has 5k hp with 1100 dps so your stats might be a tad low. A couple grand on the AH should fix it.

you probably want to socket a ruby in the helm for the XP bonus while leveling.

edit: beat by the post above.

That's is what I've been doing (demon hunter) - dex (emeralds) for everything except dmg (rubies) for weapons.

If you're leveling, use a ruby for helm (+X% experience) and a ruby for your weapon (+X damage). Use a combination of Vitality (amethyst) and Your primary stat gem in your gear as you see fit.

You can salvage an item to get the gem back or unsocket an item at the jeweler. Never buy gems unless they're outside of your drop grade. Gems also have no level requirement. They expressed that this was on purpose to twink any alts with your higher level gems.

My level 39 Wizard is around your area and she has 5k hp with 1100 dps so your stats might be a tad low. A couple grand on the AH should fix it.

+21% experience ftw. I will be passing that down to my second character for sure

Lvl 38 monk
HP ~Low 3K
Dex ~400
Int ~?
Vit ~?
Armor ~1700
Damage ~525

I'd work on that Vit and DPS. I have a 31 monk doing about the same damage. AH if you must, or just farm.

I can't really comment on your stats but what I do with gems is buy the highest price within reason. Like I'll send around 7k for a 30int gem, but not 90k for a 34int gem. That's just an example of how crazy the prices can be.

Because I'm a Wizard I try to stack up on Int and Vit gems. For my helm I use the one that gives extra magic find and for my weapon it's the highest strength I can get for the added damage.

I keep a set of gear that's INT stacked and another that is VIT stacked. More recently, I haven't touched the VIT gear as I find that the extra resistances gained from higher INT more than makes up for the lost HP.

I keep a set of gear that's INT stacked and another that is VIT stacked. More recently, I haven't touched the VIT gear as I find that the extra resistances gained from higher INT more than makes up for the lost HP.

What level/difficulty? I'm having a hard time with the elites and blue mobs in Hell right now. Everything else is easy though.

I was doing azmodan over and over again with a buddy thats level 60 I was 50 and we were just farming xp and gold and I got my first legendary :D

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/barter-town-pads

are the ones I found .. hopefully the starts are improved they were still pretty decent rolled when I had them before. I'll take an in game screenshot tonight

Yeah level and difficulty? Later on you dont really have to sack one for the other because you couldnt survive hell without vitality. actually prolly cant survive nm either.

I know my gear is fairly low for hell...but I just hit 55 and am at 4.8k DPS and 24k HP on my wizard, and the blues in hell act 2-3 are brutal. It isn't a question of IF you will die...but how many times. Does it get better? The mechanic of an enternally long kite and dropping blizzards behind me isn't too much fun, and I'm spending all of my gold on repair bills. I've gone back and helped some friends through NM to build up my gold again.

That being said I'm still having fun overall, but some of the blue mechanics just seem a bit...off. As in, there is no way to skill or power through it in some instances. After a dozen deaths of my party (4) on a blue that was invulnerable minions, jailer and arcane, I just quit. Getting locked into place and having 2 arcane beams dropped on top of you for instant death = not fun. :(

Also, wands are fucking broken. Seriously, a mace is averaging somewhere around 200+ DPS, while the equivalent level wand is 100. They're completely worthless.

Here's what I keep hearing. People are not happy with itemization and want more like D2. Fine. Then other people come and say D2 in the end after all the patches/fixes/expansion/etc etc is a far cry from when it launched.

I guess some people expected it to be like that with D3 right at launch. Maybe they were kinda right in hoping that. But it's clearly what didn't happen. So they have a lot of work to do. And I'm sure they're going to keep supporting it. So changes will come with time. I guess some people just didn't expect to have to wait for certain changes or wanted them right out of the gate.

But I don't think D3 to D2 (in its final state) is a fair comparison.

Why? Shouldn't D2 itemization in its final state be the BASE at which to expand and improve on for D3? Instead it is way behind D2 at launch

Why? Shouldn't D2 itemization in its final state be the BASE at which to expand and improve on for D3? Instead it is way behind D2 at launch

Thats hard to do, Diablo 2 LOD had years of balancing with different skills and abilities behind it, plus an entire expansion to flesh things out. If the game worked the same as D2 youd be right but a lot has changed. Still pretty crappy they cant get it right after 10 years though.

I know my gear is fairly low for hell...but I just hit 55 and am at 4.8k DPS and 24k HP on my wizard, and the blues in hell act 2-3 are brutal. It isn't a question of IF you will die...but how many times. Does it get better? The mechanic of an enternally long kite and dropping blizzards behind me isn't too much fun, and I'm spending all of my gold on repair bills. I've gone back and helped some friends through NM to build up my gold again.

That being said I'm still having fun overall, but some of the blue mechanics just seem a bit...off. As in, there is no way to skill or power through it in some instances. After a dozen deaths of my party (4) on a blue that was invulnerable minions, jailer and arcane, I just quit. Getting locked into place and having 2 arcane beams dropped on top of you for instant death = not fun. :(

Also, wands are fucking broken. Seriously, a mace is averaging somewhere around 200+ DPS, while the equivalent level wand is 100. They're completely worthless.

I bought a wand on AH last night for 15k that was 271 dps. My character dps is around 5k at level 56. Health is only 19k

In D2, the thing with unique items (now renamed legendary) is that it often have a special attribute not found elsewhere (like a special skill bonus, a stat higher than the maximum for magical and rare items or a special combination). I hope they work to introduce them.

As others said, The D2 in the current state was very different from the D2 at release day. Patching and expansions helped add more contents and more depth to the game and I guess we will see the same right now with D3 (why overwork to death to release a perfect game when we can release a acceptable game and add contents along the way to keep interest ?).

Yeah level and difficulty? Later on you dont really have to sack one for the other because you couldnt survive hell without vitality. actually prolly cant survive nm either.

I'm level 56 now with about 5000 dps, 19k health and 3k buffed armor. I have probably 1300 INT and 550 VIT. Not that I don't have *any* VIT, just that it's secondary to my INT gear.

sometimes the blues are just insane and certain skill combinations will go along way. IE Energy armor etc.. sometimes blizzard is whack cause it doesnt slow those fast minions. certain combinations for blues just require you to reset the game or try and move on without killing them theyre just that insane. as a wizard too I use the templar constantly and he is a big help with blue packs.

I use blizzard, ray of frost as my primary, hydra, frost nova, energy armor, diamon skin ( extra absorb).

Right now I'm using:

Wave of Force - w/ chance for enemies to also emit a wave of force (AMAZING in large packs)
Blizzard - w/reduced casting cost
Familiar - w/1.5% life leech
Frost Nova - w/reduced CD
Electrocute - w/+1 AP per hit
Arcane Orb - w/reduced casting cost

Passives: Glass Cannon, 15% reduced CD, Cold Blooded

I'm level 56 now with about 5000 dps, 19k health and 3k buffed armor. I have probably 1300 INT and 550 VIT. Not that I don't have *any* VIT, just that it's secondary to my INT gear.

that much hp is fine for hell. but prolly wont get you far in act 1 inferno imo

I'm pretty good with my HP, my damage just feels really low. My friend as a DH at the same level is doing something like 1.5k more than I am.

Right now I'm using:

Wave of Force - w/ chance for enemies to also emit a wave of force (AMAZING in large packs)

switch out electrocute with low cost ray of frost and replace arcane orb with diamond skin and you will have a way easier time. the single target dps from ray of frost and cold blooded plus a blizzard is rape.

worth trying blizzard with a chance to freeze them too

I have used ray of frost, I just don't like how it doesn't penetrate, as well as you having to be stationary for long periods of time. And I like having a primary that can quickly regen my AP, allows me to put out more dmg.

I dunno. I mean they changed a lot in D3. Maybe the stuff wouldn't carry over, didn't translate well. We'll probably never know. I know for sure that I don't understand the game mechanics well enough to even guess, and I never played D2 outside of a little bit when I was young, so I don't have any basis there.

I'm just stating some obvious observations. Might be redundant but people keep saying the same things, same complaints. We get it, lets move on.

Right now I'm using:

Man, the wizard is the coolest class ever. SOOO many different ways to build it.

That is all.

It's hard to throw all sorts of crazy items out there and hope nothing's too ridiculous.

Right now people are complaining big time about legendaries ... yet there's ONE stat on weapons that's causing all the fuss: DPS.

The armors / off hands / jewelry are actually quite insanely good stats wise. The problem is when buying an armor you're not just aiming for the highest armor value, you're aiming for all the stats that a legendary brings. With a weapon, it's more cut and dry: DPS is king. All they really have to do is make DPS on legendary weapons higher and people will stop crying about rares/blues being better.

It's hard to throw all sorts of crazy items out there and hope nothing's too ridiculous.

Right now people are complaining big time about legendaries ... yet there's ONE stat on weapons that's causing all the fuss: DPS.

The armors / off hands / jewelry are actually quite insanely good stats wise. The problem is when buying an armor you're not just aiming for the highest armor value, you're aiming for all the stats that a legendary brings. With a weapon, it's more cut and dry: DPS is king. All they really have to do is make DPS on legendary weapons higher and people will stop crying about rares/blues being better.

I think my biggest issue right now is that I'm level 53 going through hell. Nothing around my level is dropping. I keep getting items around level 45, and lower. Wtf is that about? I shouldn't have to keep hunting the AH for items around my level.

And yes items that far apart have huge differences.

I think my biggest issue right now is that I'm level 53 going through hell. Nothing around my level is dropping. I keep getting items around level 45, and lower. Wtf is that about? I shouldn't have to keep hunting the AH for items around my level.

And yes items that far apart have huge differences.

Did you expect a lot of legendaries to drop for you... not sure what my quote has to do with it.

Either way, the AH is part of the game. There's no reason to force yourself to only use items you find. The whole premise of Diablo is RNG phat loots.

Did you expect a lot of legendaries to drop for you... not sure what my quote has to do with it.

Either way, the AH is part of the game. There's no reason to force yourself to only use items you find. The whole premise of Diablo is RNG phat loots.

No, but your statement is kinda based off what people are complaining about, which is items.

AH is part of the game. But I shouldn't have to spend so much time scouring for items my level. Items around my level should drop. Regardless of whether they're better or not.

Last edited:
That itemization problem starts in the mid 20's IMO. On my wizard, all of the drops are like level 18 yet I am level 32, and on my monk who is 26, all of the drops are still <=18 in level. Wizard is in difficulty after normal, I think NM while monk is still in normal entering act 3....

I did find my first legendary on my monk though at level 18. I found a head slot item called something like "see no evil". Although stat wise its getting old pretty fast...

Sorry to ask again. I've got an old Phenom I x4 9750 rig with 2gb ddr2 that I'm trying to setup as a spare D3 rig. Any idea if I go for a 1gb gtx460, 6850, 5850 or 5870 if it will be a capable rig at 1080p? Ideally I want to spend as little as possible LOL.

No, but your statement is kinda based off what people are complaining about, which is items.

AH is part of the game. But I shouldn't have to spend so much time scouring for items my level. Items around my level should drop. Regardless of whether they're better or not.

You're not forced to spend a ton of your time scouting for items. You can spend maybe 5 minutes and get a better weapon. That was all I spent on my DH getting to 60.

That itemization problem starts in the mid 20's IMO. On my wizard, all of the drops are like level 18 yet I am level 32, and on my monk who is 26, all of the drops are still <=18 in level. Wizard is in difficulty after normal, I think NM while monk is still in normal entering act 3....

I did find my first legendary on my monk though at level 18. I found a head slot item called something like "see no evil". Although stat wise its getting old pretty fast...

It's not really an "issue". The point isn't that everything that drops is good to use or an upgrade - that'd be absurd. There's value in good items being rare drops - it makes them valuable and exciting to acquire when they do drop. If you're simply progressing through the game, you're really doing 1 "run" of an area before moving on. Getting upgrades off of 1 "run" is unrealistic. This is why the AH exists, to exchange drops from many runs. When designing drop rates and itemization, blizzard has to work off empirical population statistics to make sure item exchange is on average balanced.

This really bugged me as well. I RARELY found an item that I could use on my DH on my way to 60. Generally the stuff I found would be at least 5 or so levels lower than my character. The AH is basically the only way to gear your character. I've been doing runs of Inferno Act 1, and the main point of it is just to get items that will sell for enough on the AH that I can buy an upgrade for myself (granted, I did find a 580dps 1h xbow that I could have used...if only I didn't have a 750dps xbow that I got for cheap on the AH).

Sorry to ask again. I've got an old Phenom I x4 9750 rig with 2gb ddr2 that I'm trying to setup as a spare D3 rig. Any idea if I go for a 1gb gtx460, 6850, 5850 or 5870 if it will be a capable rig at 1080p? Ideally I want to spend as little as possible LOL.

My laptop has a gtx460m (which would be worse than the desktop gtx460) and plays the game great, everything on high with 1080p resolution. My desktop has a 5870, everything on high, 1900x1200 resolution, plays great. You'd be probably be fine with either one, although I'm not sure how well it'd play with 2gb of ram

btw how hard is it to attain legendary from a drop? Im in hell right now but have never seen a single set or legendary yet. much harder mf than d2 imo, but never the less fun :)

Back