Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Honestly i'm dissaponited by how the team play has been. I was really hoping it'd be more complex than D2, but from what i've seen so far i have a feeling solo play will be more strategic and fun.

Part of my opinion may be because i'm playing a wizard behind a monk and a barbarian and they just steamroll everything while i try to aoe a bit. Very repetitive and gets old quick. Also, i haven't found any of the "signature" moves to be cool at all. I feel very weak as compared to my friends both in aoe damage and especially single target damage.

Probably because of the barb/monk combo tanking everything for you. However, once I was in Act 4 even they couldn't keep things off me at certain points. Certainly made me regret getting class cannon a few times :p:D

You must of missed the dev post about patches. There will be no new content patched in other than the promised PvP. Everything else will simply be bug fixes.

You must have failed reading comprehension.

Go back to dying in Normal difficulty.

Honestly i'm dissaponited by how the team play has been. I was really hoping it'd be more complex than D2, but from what i've seen so far i have a feeling solo play will be more strategic and fun.

Part of my opinion may be because i'm playing a wizard behind a monk and a barbarian and they just steamroll everything while i try to aoe a bit. Very repetitive and gets old quick. Also, i haven't found any of the "signature" moves to be cool at all. I feel very weak as compared to my friends both in aoe damage and especially single target damage.

what level are you? I had the same issues you were having earlier in the game. your damage can ramp up pretty fast.. remember spell dmg is off weapon dmg.. so +dmg rings and high dps weapons are crucial.. I use electrocute as signature and its pretty good but its not heavy single target. To be honest I found the wizard lacking single target dmg pretty hard till i got to lvl 20+

So far seems to be alot of monks out there. Played 5 random public games. 1 witch doctor, 2 sorcs, 1 barb and the rest monks. Still haven't ran into a single demon hunter lol. On that note im loving my monk :)

what level are you? I had the same issues you were having earlier in the game. your damage can ramp up pretty fast.. remember spell dmg is off weapon dmg.. so +dmg rings and high dps weapons are crucial.. I use electrocute as signature and its pretty good but its not heavy single target. To be honest I found the wizard lacking single target dmg pretty hard till i got to lvl 20+

I found Ray of Frost to be most likely the Wizard's best ST spell so I've rotated that into my build. Still getting used to the management of AP though. Some people recommend getting prodigy but I honestly can't tell if it helps or not.....:(

Vaneras
Community
It’s important to understand that Diablo is not World of Warcraft, meaning that there will be no major content patches with new dungeons, or bosses, or enemies. We have plans on patching in PvP of course, but in general the only ‘content’ we would patch in would most likely just be new items.

Diablo III will see patches to adjust things like game balance and potential system improvements, but any actual content additions is not something you should expect to see.

The purpose of the randomized dungeons and items in any Diablo game is to provide an endless amount out of content right out of the box.

you can bet your ass there will be an expansion though :p

I don't understand why you decided to paste this in response to my post.

Nowhere in my post did I make any indication that "growth and improvements" meant to expect a patch next week would include major new content lol.

Honestly all I am hoping for is new items, fixes to legendary items, and minor gameplay fixes such as making gems not white items.... over time of course.

Finished act 1 with my huntress.... playing ranged is great fun, especially with two light crossbows and crusader acting as tank. Everything dies before it comes closer :)

However, I wanted to check barbarian, and I'm puzzled. EIther I had bad luck, or there are no more randomly generated maps - second playthrough is exactly same as 1st - mobs, chests in same places.... no more randmoness that let you feel like you been playing completely different game.

I noticed this as well, can anyone confirm whether or no dynamic map/item generation is in place?

I don't understand why you decided to paste this in response to my post.

Nowhere in my post did I make any indication that "growth and improvements" meant to expect a patch next week would include major new content lol.

Honestly all I am hoping for is new items, fixes to legendary items, and minor gameplay fixes such as making gems not white items.... over time of course.

Well then it was relevant because he mentions they will be adding items ;)

I noticed this as well, can anyone confirm whether or no dynamic map/item generation is in place?

there is lots of randomization in fact almost all the dungeons are random. there are a couple spots that arent for instance where in Act 1 w/ Templar that dungeon in which you aid him there is no randomization.

Dungeons are random but you will notice patterns. Dungeons will have areas that are pieced randomly with other pieces. Outside areas always have same edges. So your maps will always look the same for these. Inside of the edges in outdoor zones is random. Also all zones that are a part of the quest are not random. ie When you find the templar and kill jondaar.

there is lots of randomization in fact almost all the dungeons are random. there are a couple spots that arent for instance where in Act 1 w/ Templar that dungeon in which you aid him there is no randomization.

Good to know, thanks.

Everyone feels that way in a group. Literally, everyone... because no one is outstanding by themselves anymore.

This is literally the #1 complaint I've heard from everyone I've played with using pretty much all of the classes: "I feel that my class is weak compared to some other class in my party" then the person that they thought was super strong returns the same comment.

So from what I understand there are no skill trees? So a barbarian has the exact same build as every other barbarian?

So from what I understand there are no skill trees? So a barbarian has the exact same build as every other barbarian?

Yes..to a degree.

You pick up to 6 skills and 3 passives. Each of those 6 skill also have runes that change how the skill works. Some do more damage, some reduce the CD, some change the element type, etc.

So while people might have the same skills, they might be runed differently to function differently in the overall build.

But I mean come on, in D2 everyone ran the same skill builds anyway :p:D

The skill tree is there, but it is no longer a "choose your destiny" tree. It's a "choose from these available skills and change them if they do not suit your style" tree.

This is literally the #1 complaint I've heard from everyone I've played with using pretty much all of the classes: "I feel that my class is weak compared to some other class in my party" then the person that they thought was super strong returns the same comment.

At least in the beta, when I was using my Barb, I felt like I could steamroll anything/everything before others caught up with me (particularly as you could leap ahead). Only other class that seemed similar was the Monk, but I haven't tried that class yet.

I'm sure that dynamic will change as people get higher and higher in level, but at least at the beta cap it seemed pretty easy to charge ahead of the Wizard/Witch Doctor.

You'd think, for a company this size with this much clout, things would go a bit better. If this happened to any other dev studio, the reaction would be much different. People feel invested with Blizzard, so issues that would kill another company are often explained away or justified.

I'm sure they will work things out eventually, but first impressions are pretty important.
I definitely see your point. In the end, to me, its a fantastic game and thats the bottom line. We know they will fix the server issues, its just a matter of time. What I'm left with is the realization that I am incredibly happy with the game and it only cost me 60 dollars. I know I will play for months to come, so I am ok with it being a bit finicky at first.

I think i'm about 17 now. They are in their 20's. I really wish they would have let Diablo veterans skip normal altogether.

And be under-leveled and under geared for nightmare? :confused::confused::confused:

Or tweak the normal difficulty so that it aint so easy... just something to make my dumbass friends not want to rush through it all as quick as fuckin possible ^_^

Everyone feels that way in a group. Literally, everyone... because no one is outstanding by themselves anymore.

Funny =P I'm hoping that when things are harder that people will have to use more strategy too. Aside from feeling a little imbalanced, i just get bored of spamming aoe. It's like i'm a mage in a WoW raid or some shit. So far I haven't had to think about anything but what order to use my moves in etc. Even the move i was looking forward to (Slow Time) does fuck all in actually slowing things down so you can use it to your advantage. Then again, i have no runes for it yet, and i'm likely a big noob.

I didn't know that the guest passes were region locked. Anyone from EU here that has a spare starter key?

Question about graphics settings. I have V-Sync off and I left the max FPS slider at 150 (default) and minimum at 8 (default). I went in game and checked the fps and was getting around 143 just running around, but since my monitor only refreshes at 60hz, should I drop the max down from 150 to 60 just to make it easier on my graphics card, or should I leave it alone? System specs are in my sig.

Question about graphics settings. I have V-Sync off and I left the max FPS slider at 150 (default) and minimum at 8 (default). I went in game and checked the fps and was getting around 143 just running around, but since my monitor only refreshes at 60hz, should I drop the max down from 150 to 60 just to make it easier on my graphics card, or should I leave it alone? System specs are in my sig.

I bumped the frames down a bit due to Beta heating up my card a bit at 150fps.

I have adaptive v-sync on, 120hz monitor, so it keeps my cards from going nuts and throwing out 150fps. If you do it that way, uncheck the max FPS and set the min to a small number for when you tab out.

I bumped the frames down a bit due to Beta heating up my card a bit at 150fps.

I didn't check my temps last night... but I did notice my fan was ramping up audibly while it had never done that in another game. It's spitting out 100+ fps even at 5760x1080... maybe I'll try bumping the max frames down.

I didn't check my temps last night... but I did notice my fan was ramping up audibly while it had never done that in another game. It's spitting out 100+ fps even at 5760x1080... maybe I'll try bumping the max frames down.

Me too (not nearly at that res, but still) - I heard the fan and was like wtf given how non-taxing the game is. It would certainly be worth lowering the max!

Just finished the game on Normal. Really disappointing, the game overall just seemed to miss a lot of artistic talent and vision. The story just wasn't as good as Diablo 2's. The cinematics were obviously technically superior but in every other way greatly inferior. Gameplay wise it is pretty close to Diablo 2. It was entertaining enough. Diablo 3 is not really what I call a worthy successor but it was completely expected given the current trend at Blizzard. It's alright on it's own, I give it a 7.5/10.

And, I laughed at the uhh... "change" in Diablo's looks. Who the fuck approved that? Lmfao

Funny =P I'm hoping that when things are harder that people will have to use more strategy too. Aside from feeling a little imbalanced, i just get bored of spamming aoe. It's like i'm a mage in a WoW raid or some shit. So far I haven't had to think about anything but what order to use my moves in etc. Even the move i was looking forward to (Slow Time) does fuck all in actually slowing things down so you can use it to your advantage. Then again, i have no runes for it yet, and i'm likely a big noob.

Yeah, I haven't liked slow time very much, either. I find frost nova, with the reduced CD, way too useful. What setup are you using? I've gotten my wizard to 23 so far and love his AOE damage. I'll usually run in, frost nova everything, then explosive blast (mastery move), shockwave, then arcane orb (with 228% weapon damage rune) everything. Electrocute is my signature move, with the rune to allow it to hit 6 targets. My passives are glass cannon and (?) whatever gives you +4 arcane power per signature move. AOE definitely isn't a problem.

Single target, however, I don't seem to do as much. I'm assuming the ray of frost, with the rune that increases damage the longer it's on the same target, will be one of the better abilities.

So far I really like the new talent system. The 4 talent slots with different purposes, the 3 passives, and the runes for each talent makes it pretty diverse and IMO more fun than just waiting for level 40 to spam hydra or frozen orb everywhere. And make sure to enable advanced tooltips, took me a while to figure that out. :(

Yeah, I haven't liked slow time very much, either. I find frost nova, with the reduced CD, way too useful. What setup are you using? I've gotten my wizard to 23 so far and love his AOE damage. I'll usually run in, frost nova everything, then explosive blast (mastery move), shockwave, then arcane orb (with 228% weapon damage rune) everything. Electrocute is my signature move, with the rune to allow it to hit 6 targets. My passives are glass cannon and (?) whatever gives you +4 arcane power per signature move. AOE definitely isn't a problem.

Single target, however, I don't seem to do as much. I'm assuming the ray of frost, with the rune that increases damage the longer it's on the same target, will be one of the better abilities.

So far I really like the new talent system. The 4 talent slots with different purposes, the 3 passives, and the runes for each talent makes it pretty diverse and IMO more fun than just waiting for level 40 to spam hydra or frozen orb everywhere. And make sure to enable advanced tooltips, took me a while to figure that out. :(

Seems like i'm using the exact same setup as you are =P Too many of the other moves seem lackluster. The animation on that homing-missile-type move bugs the crap out of me too... when you stop firing, some missiles that were in the air just disappear--they should continue on to the target, but don't. the 2 passives i have i've taken glass cannon and blur.

I turned on advanced tooltips but still find them lacking information. I wish when hovering over your move on the action bar, that it would show you the damage that it will do, but it still just shows you the multiplier, so you'd have to do the math yourself. That's the one thing lacking... All you have is a DPS number, but they don't go into enough detail about how much each spell will hit for.

Let me tell you now that I went the same way with frost nova and stuff. It does NOT work well in the harder difficulties where you can get one shotted easily. I got a nasty surprise that way yesterday night when I teleported into a pack fully intending to use reversal to back out. Got one shotted by an elite mob in the pack. :(

Let me tell you now that I went the same way with frost nova and stuff. It does NOT work well in the harder difficulties where you can get one shotted easily. I got a nasty surprise that way yesterday night when I teleported into a pack fully intending to use reversal to back out. Got one shotted by an elite mob in the pack. :(

I hope that barbs and monks have to think a bit more too, else if they're in the party it'll be back to brain-dead aoe spams.

edit: fucking work---i just want to play.

Me too (not nearly at that res, but still) - I heard the fan and was like wtf given how non-taxing the game is. It would certainly be worth lowering the max!

Yeah, I just don't know where to set it. I don't think I need vsync on, I wasn't noticing any issues in that regard, but I don't want my gpu working harder than it needs to for no reason. Some people on the Diablo forum are saying to leave the min FPS slider alone and to drop the max FPS slider down to the refresh rate of your monitor or just above it (I have a 60hz refresh rate so they said set it at 60-75 on the max FPS slider). What do you guys think?

I have a couple questions:

1. Has anyone experienced lag when tooltips are being brought up? Whether it's for a move or an item, my brother is experiencing this. He's searched on Blizzard forums, and can only find topics which have been deleted... why would they be deleting these threads? :confused:

2. I played with 2 friends and got to the end of Act 1, when i got too tired and logged. They continued on and beat Act 1 and a little bit of Act 2. When i joined their game, i was automatically caught up to where they were in Act 2. Now when i start my own game it starts me off where they are instead of where i was when i stopped playing. It is normal when you join someone's group to have the game skip content you haven't completed?

In a 4 player game my barb/monk friends definitely had more problems with the monsters hitting harder/having more life. We definitely wiped a few times during quests where the game threw a ton of mobs at you :p

Also yes, fuck work.

Yeah, I just don't know where to set it. I don't think I need vsync on, I wasn't noticing any issues in that regard, but I don't want my gpu working harder than it needs to for no reason. Some people on the Diablo forum are saying to leave the min FPS slider alone and to drop the max FPS slider down to the refresh rate of your monitor or just above it (I have a 60hz refresh rate so they said set it at 60-75 on the max FPS slider). What do you guys think?

That would be the intuitive solution - there's certainly no harm experimenting.

Just finished the game on Normal. Really disappointing, the game overall just seemed to miss a lot of artistic talent and vision. The story just wasn't as good as Diablo 2's. The cinematics were obviously technically superior but in every other way greatly inferior. Gameplay wise it is pretty close to Diablo 2. It was entertaining enough. Diablo 3 is not really what I call a worthy successor but it was completely expected given the current trend at Blizzard. It's alright on it's own, I give it a 7.5/10.

And, I laughed at the uhh... "change" in Diablo's looks. Who the fuck approved that? Lmfao

When is the last time you played Diablo 2 :O hahaha

I havent seen diablo and those little things should be kept in spoiler tags please.

Sure, you have to ease people into it a bit, but I felt it went too far towards assuming the player has never played this type of game. Oh well.

That's the whole point of Act 1 being extremely easy. Plenty of people I read/know about never played an ARPG before.

That would be the intuitive solution - there's certainly no harm experimenting.

I dropped the max down to 75 and get a solid frame rate and didn't notice any difference in gameplay from when it was set to 150 by default. I'll keep an eye on it when I play more later, but it doesn't seem like it needs to be set as high as it is by default. My monitor refresh rate is actually 75, not 60, I was wrong about that.

Back